Forum moderation and notification messages

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

Ok, honestly, I have to ask:
Is it so difficult to actually generate automated notifiations that actually tell you what happened? Or make the reasoning behind a moderator’s decision actually evident?
A few minutes ago I hat a notification, that a topic I posted in was “moved to another forum”.
Opening the PM however told me that the topic was in fact deleted entirely.

Note: I don’t mind if a topic gets deleted because it degraded to the point of personal insults or similar, but why does the notification message title state something different than the content?

A little while ago I had another of those little “hiccups” or whatever one might want to call them.
I got a notion that one of my topics was merged with another. That in itself isn’t my concern. If two topics are too similar, a merge actually is a good thing.
There were two things however, that made no sense in that case.
One: the “reason” given in the notification was “thread merged”. Which actually is just a blatant repeat of what already was stated in the notification subject. No actual reason given beyond those two words.
Maybe not surprising given the fact that the two topics had absolutely nothing in common whatsoever. One was about preferred playstyles and player attitudes and the other was about the legitimacy of selling dungeon paths for ingame gold.
What exactly might prompt two so dissimilar topics to be merged?

I might move on thin ice here criticising the moderators, but I’d still like to point out that the decisions of the moderators in some of the subforums seem a bit arbitrarily. And those are just the 2 cases in which I was personally affected because I had posted in those topics or actually created one of them.
The numberof weird mergings and deleted posts for no obvious reason is much longer than that, I’m afraid.

Edit: I might mention as well: I’m well aware that to tell or not tell us the reasoning behind a moderator’s decision is their prerogative and that we are not entitled to anything along those lines.
But giving these halfhearted notification messages just adds insult to injury in such a case. At least imho.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

(edited by Silberfisch.3046)

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

1 word: Outsourced. Not going to comment any further as it’s not worth the infraction I would receive :p

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

1 word: Outsourced. Not going to comment any further as it’s not worth the infraction I would receive :p

I’d believe it, I don’t even bother to look at my PM’s anymore because of the spam from moderation.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

If that indeed ist the case I have to add:
If I got that level of carelessness from an outsourced contractor in public relations, I’d find myself a new one.
But maybe I’m just weird like that.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

Discussion of moderation and forum policies are not allowed on the forums. If you wish to leave feedback about those rules or the way they are implemented, please send them to forums@arena.net. While we cannot promise that any or all requests of changes will be implemented, we will definitely review and discuss them among the Community Team.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Also, as an aside, I removed the thread, with an explanation why the thread was removed. It was removed as it was a “name and shame” post to accuse other players of hacking/exploiting/cheating. We do not allow those on the forums.

In the future, if you wish to know why a thread was removed, you can email us at forums@arena.net