Foxfire Cluster stealth adjustment?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

While I was going through my 11 toons parked in Malchor’s (for the 4th time) I noticed a distinct drop off in the amount of foxfires I was obtaining since the patch. I asked around and everyone I asked who had gone through multiple toons as well had noticed the same.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Considering with all the chopping I’ve done ove the past couple of weeks and I’ve only gotten seven foxfire that whole time…. no…my luck still sucks, so I aint noticed.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I had a couple of really good days and a couple of really bad ones. My luck tends to go in the opposite of other people’s though. Go figure. When everyone else in my guild was getting them, I couldn’t get any. Now, when people are saying they’re not getting them, I’m getting them.

I guess we might be able to tell by looking at the prices in the trading post and seeing if they go back up a bit.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

My luck’s not quite as bad as Lanfear’s but it’s not great. Given the amounts needed the drop rate seems to be really low.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve been using a gathering booster and a birthday booster on characters that are harvesting them, it seems to make a difference. Operative word is seems. lol

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I thought I noticed it as well. Thought it was just bad luck. At first it seems I was avg about 10-15 day. Now it seems about half that.

binidj.5734

At first it seems I was avg about 10-15 day. Now it seems about half that.

Good Lord! How many characters are you doing this with? And for how long? Wandering around Cursed Shore for an hour or two (very specifically hunting down trees) nets me between 1 and 3 drops.

Piken Square

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Considering with all the chopping I’ve done ove the past couple of weeks and I’ve only gotten seven foxfire that whole time…. no…my luck still sucks, so I aint noticed.

^^ same here. you’re not alone.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I gave up on Foxfire Clusters the second day, lol.

Essence Snow.3194

How are ya’ll going about it? I know lots of players including myself that park toons at cypress clusters (4-7 trees) and harvest on every toon several times throughout the day. This (in my case) allows me to harvest 500+trees in a day with minimal time/effort.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

RnG is RnG.

Yesterday through one character run on 8-10 alts (I cant’ remember how many I use), I got 0. A few hours later I got 4, all on one character.

RnG is RnG

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

How are ya’ll going about it? I know lots of players including myself that park toons at cypress clusters (4-7 trees) and harvest on every toon several times throughout the day. This (in my case) allows me to harvest 500+trees in a day with minimal time/effort.

I have 3…maybe it’s 4… characters that can readily get to that cypress cluster (sort of been avoiding orr on most of my characters haha). After that, I have a couple of characters that I trek around Cursed and Malchors with, then I wander into Dry Top with my ele for a bit. I dont really count how much wood I get. I have enough to do my spiritwood glob and a material promotion almost every day (that I play. I don’t always have time to get on every night). shrug

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

My anecdotal experience has also been a potential reduction in drop rates, however, as I was also parking alts to chop trees it may be the result of DR kicking in (I have never done parked alt gathering, so I am unsure if DR impacts this). I was going to try moving around to see if there was any noticeable change in the drop rate last night, but then I got involved in the World Boss Train and forgot about it.

I’ve not been logging any data, so my anecdote lacks evidence and is thus just an anecdote.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

It differes greatly .. the usual random factor. I harvest T6 with 13 chars in Frostgorge
each day .. one day i got 3 in total .. another day i got 3 × 3 on my first 3 characters
while harvesting just 2 T6 and 2 T5 woods.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Its RNG. Harvested only about 15 trees yesterday and got 6 foxfires.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I seem to be getting more than usual. Such is pRNG.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you are leaving the toons in the same zone…..that may be the issue… (DR?). I run a few toons thru Cursed into Malachors’ and park them in Straits. Do the opposite the next day. I think I’ve got a total of about 50 (but only run 2 characters and not every day).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Essence Snow.3194

Is harvesting DR a thing?

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I was wondering if DR is tied to harvesting as well.
I kept track, parked 14 alts there this morning. Did 5 rounds today. Did not use any guesting from joining a party for additional rounds.
My numbers where per round of these alts. 5-8-1-5-7
I’m with Vol. I pretty much believe RNG is what it is.

I could be wrong, it seems after server reset. I have had better luck. But I cannot say for certain since I didn’t keep a record.

Decided to do another round. Got 13 from this one, when I compare it to a round from earlier when I got 1. Makes me more inclined to believe as some has said. good runs and bad runs. RNG

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

RNG is RNG.

It seems regular now that every once in a while, map chat gets on the subject of how foxfire drops have apparently been stealth nerfed. I remember one discussion in Dry Top a day or two prior to Dragon’s Reach Part 2 in which people were convinced that the drop rate was lowered in preparation for the ascended backpiece costing a full 250 stack.

I doubt there’s been any change at any time in the past, just as I doubt there’s been any change with this update.

People get a lucky streak of RNG and get used to the drops, then during dry spells they come to the conclusion that it must have been nerfed.

I’ve seen no difference myself, though I have not gone out and gathered in force with my alts since yesterday’s patch – I got a small handful just harvesting trees on my way to things though, seems normal.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t think they would have any reason to nerf the drop rate of these, much less do it without telling us. They are already going back up in sale price, with the spike in demand from the new Episode release.

Incremental drop rate changes are the kind of thing you might see in testing, not post-release for no apparent reason.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The extra stuff certainly could be.
Really hard to tell except through careful record keeping. The botters could probably do that sort of tracking very easily but I doubt any of them will be sharing the information here.

I feel like one character gets them more than the other but sample size is probably less than 100 tree per character.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Far too small a sample size to call it a definitive nerf (or even tentatively call it one) but on Monday I was averaging about 4 Foxfire Clusters per run through Malchor’s Leap cutting down all the trees when I was trying to get enough clusters to finish up my backpiece before the next stage.

Today I’ve done 2 runs and both times only gotten 1 Foxfire Cluster.

I have a feeling I was getting a little lucky on Monday with those rates, really, but this feels a little too unlucky… still probably just RNG, but who knows.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

The extra stuff certainly could be.
Really hard to tell except through careful record keeping. The botters could probably do that sort of tracking very easily but I doubt any of them will be sharing the information here.

I feel like one character gets them more than the other but sample size is probably less than 100 tree per character.

I often feel like one character is luckier than others. But that’s RNG for ya – people want to see connections where there are none.

On the first day of Part 1, I had one character get 14 foxfire in less than a stack of wood – around 210 elder wood. She then went on a dry spell ever since.

Later on, my elementalist wound up getting to 22 foxfire over the course of about a few hours per several days, farming the same route and amount of times my other characters averaged about 10.

It’s just luck, or lack thereof, in my opinion.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

At first it seems I was avg about 10-15 day. Now it seems about half that.

Good Lord! How many characters are you doing this with? And for how long? Wandering around Cursed Shore for an hour or two (very specifically hunting down trees) nets me between 1 and 3 drops.

Don’t waste your time wandering around Cursed Shore, just park level 80s near the Melanadru statue southeastern Malchor’s Leap and rotate through them every hour or so. I was getting at least 2 or 3 every 15-20 minute run (although this mornings run before going to work netted me only 1 on 3 toons).

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Made the rounds of Frostgorge, Malachor, and Curse shore on three avies and noticed a lot less trees around post patch. Prior to that I ran across a lot more trees and orichalum nodes. Also getting less foxfire clusters than I have previously. There is a full moon out there so maybe that is it, lol…

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Did another run through Malchor’s Leap and ended up with my average of 4 Foxfire Clusters, so I guess the earlier runs were just RNG flukes.

Essence Snow.3194

I don’t think they would have any reason to nerf the drop rate of these, much less do it without telling us. They are already going back up in sale price, with the spike in demand from the new Episode release.

Incremental drop rate changes are the kind of thing you might see in testing, not post-release for no apparent reason.

The demand for these is something I don’t really get either. I would have though as players got the 48 needed for the back item demand would taper off.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The demand for these is something I don’t really get either. I would have though as players got the 48 needed for the back item demand would taper off.

Perhaps the next step requires more?

Plus, I think a lot of people went, “Oh hey, living story… right. I want to get on that now that I can see the back item eventually leads to an ascended piece.”

But that interest level will probably taper off in less than a week, I’m guessing.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I cleared two map zones and got 6 of them earlier. It kind of sucks that the upgraded back-piece requires even 7 more plant foods, making the total number of Foxfire clusters to 76 so far. Talk about a grind.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Look at the price. If the price hasn’t jumped, no nerf.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Serious question.

Are Foxfires available outside of Dry Top?

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

I have really good luck on the TP. I always find the foxfires I need within the first few seconds of starting to harvest. /irony

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

binidj.5734

Serious question.

Yes, they drop anywhere you find T5 or T6 wood nodes.

eg. Frostgorge, Cursed Shore, Malchor’s Leap, etc.

Piken Square

Posted by: Nuance.4872

Nuance.4872

lol wood

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I have definitely noticed this too. At first I thought it was just bad luck, you know, if one character doesn’t get any, next one will. But after the patch, the pattern is that none of my characters seem to get any foxfire.

I’m pretty sick of chopping wood so once I get the number I need for the ascended version, I don’t want to see any cypress saplings for a month.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Serious question.

Yes, they drop anywhere you find T5 or T6 wood nodes.

eg. Frostgorge, Cursed Shore, Malchor’s Leap, etc.

I feel like a moron for not knowing this up until now. /o\

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

RnG is RnG.

Yesterday through one character run on 8-10 alts (I cant’ remember how many I use), I got 0. A few hours later I got 4, all on one character.

RnG is RnG

Yesterday while I was map completing Straits (about two hours or wandering and chopping?) I got 15. Maybe there’s an account-wide diminishing returns associated with each tree?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Considering you need 144 of them for the current max of the backpiece, the droprate is way too low. I dont even have enough for the first stage yet

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Look at the price. If the price hasn’t jumped, no nerf.

Well the price did jump, but that has largely to do with the demand.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I farmed that cluster in Straits last night then waypointed to a second cluster in Malchor’s, got 5 total. I’ve previously run whole maps and gotten one. I would say it’s still the same RNG.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)