Fractal Decorations Needs to be Adjusted

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Don’t get me wrong, I think the new Fractal Decorations are great. It seems Anet has followed suit with the well received SAB decorations in terms of their design. However, the pricing is well above what we had with SAB.

With SAB decorations, we didn’t have multiple tiers of crafting to get different decorations, which the community loved, but it feels like anet has gone backwards. I’ll compare the Super Rock Platform from SAB with Slab of the Solid Ocean from Fractals since both of these share a similar design and use. To craft 1 Super Rock Platform, all you needed was:

• 32 Super Clouds (from vendor)
  • 32 Mithril Ingots
  • 1 Pouch of Brown Pigment
  • 1 Simple Finishing Kit

It was quick, easy and cheap (~1 gold).

Right now, if you want to craft the Slab of the Solid Ocean, you’ll need:

• Orichalcum Craftsman’s Hammer
  • Grandmaster’s Finishing Kit
  • 4 Onyx Lodestones
  • 2 Large Blocks of the Solid Ocean

It seems somewhat reasonable until you get to the last ingredient. to get these 2 Large blocks of the solid ocean, you’ll need to first craft 8 Chunks of Solid Ocean, then craft those into 4 Blocks of the solid Ocean, then finally into 2 Large Large Blocks of the solid Ocean. Not only does this make crafting way more tedious than it needs to be, but it also jacks the price up significantly, adding more and more Stabilizing Matrices. To craft these, expect to spend ~45g a piece.

Another issue is the price of Fragments of the Solid Ocean. Right now they’re 150 relics each. To put that into perspective, that’s 2400 fractal relics for 1 Slab of The Solid Ocean. To be honest, the price may be reasonable if there were no other use for fractal relics, but since yesterday’s patch, people are way less willing to spend their relics on guild hall decorations. With SAB there was nothing else you could do with decoration coins, they were their own currency, you either trade them in or destroy them. With relics, why spend them on decorations when you could instead save up for endless potions, ascended chests, tonics, etc? They need to be way cheaper to account for this.

I would love to create a massive solid ocean island in my guild hall, just as I made a floating SAB island, however, to build something on the same scale with Fractal decorations would cost about 30x the price of the SAB island, and a ridiculous amount of fractal relics.

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

With relics, why spend them on decorations when you could instead save up for endless potions, ascended chests, tonics, etc?

In case of ascended chests their non-fractal relic cost is so great, that they are not worth buying at all. The stabilizing matrix price alone makes them cost more than crafting options. With gold added on top of that…
Other options are more interesting (especially since you can’t get them any other way), but they’re at most an one-time purchase. After you buy them, you’re back to having no sink for relics again.

So, the relic price of decorations might actually be okay in the long run. Tiering is not.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Alilinke.7690

With relics, why spend them on decorations when you could instead save up for endless potions, ascended chests, tonics, etc?

In case of ascended chests their non-fractal relic cost is so great, that they are not worth buying at all. The stabilizing matrix price alone makes them cost more than crafting options. With gold added on top of that…
Other options are more interesting (especially since you can’t get them any other way), but they’re at most an one-time purchase. After you buy them, you’re back to having no sink for relics again.

So, the relic price of decorations might actually be okay in the long run. Tiering is not.

How many relics can a player get in a day, though? if you do your T4 dailies + the pages, you’ll get maybe 60-70 relics iirc. that’s not even enough for 1 decoration. Compare that to the SAB clouds…

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

SAB clouds were from a limited time event, so obviously they need to be easier to get than something you have 365 days a year to get.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Alilinke.7690

SAB clouds were from a limited time event, so obviously they need to be easier to get than something you have 365 days a year to get.

It’s still way out of proportion. Assuming you do all of your fractal dailies for a year, you might be able to get 150 decorations…

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

It’s still way out of proportion. Assuming you do all of your fractal dailies for a year, you might be able to get 150 decorations…

150 sounds fair, it is a guild hall after all. All guild members are supposed to work toward it, not a one man show.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Alilinke.7690

150 sounds fair, it is a guild hall after all. All guild members are supposed to work toward it, not a one man show.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of players don’t care much for guild halls, let alone decorating them. Ask any guild leader and I guarantee that most of them will tell you that only a few guild members actually donate anything, besides the odd small donation.

So yes, from experience, decorating actually is a one man show.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If I need something for scribing I ask in guild chat and get some stuff. The guild I’m in is 50 members total.

Last time I asked for alot of mats was for a god statue and someone gave me 3 stacks of cured hard leather squares lols.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Indeed. Once created, the decorations will last as long as the guild does. They aren’t one-time consumables or even account ascended gear.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I agree that they need to be adjusted. If we’re supposed to build cool things with them (which seems to be the case given their similarity to SAB) they’re way overpriced.

I could understand them being a little harder than SAB, due to the constant availability, but this is nuts. Given how people were about the SAB decs, I am surprised to see them go in this direction.

Alilinke.7690

If I need something for scribing I ask in guild chat and get some stuff. The guild I’m in is 50 members total.

Last time I asked for alot of mats was for a god statue and someone gave me 3 stacks of cured hard leather squares lols.

Well, I can tell you, if you receive regular donations from most guild members for decorating your guild is in the minority. I posted the same thing on Reddit and every guild leader of a large guild who posted in it said the same thing.

We might receive the odd donation from guild members, I do too, but if you want to extensively decorate your hall, you’re going to be footing a large sum of the bill yourself.

Alilinke.7690

Indeed. Once created, the decorations will last as long as the guild does. They aren’t one-time consumables or even account ascended gear.

Ok then, let me put this into perspective for you. My guild created a floating SAB island back in April. It cost us about 4000 SAB clouds and a couple hundred gold. To build something on a similar scale with the new Fractal decorations would cost about 1,000 Fragments of the Solid Ocean, or 150,000 Fractal Relics and about 4000g. Assuming you have 10 people doing their fractal dailies every day and donating every single Relic they get, it would take almost 7 years to get enough.

How in the world does that sound reasonable?

(edited by Alilinke.7690)

Posted by: Stiivy.5061

Stiivy.5061

#SPUDclubforlife

Posted by: UnfairOphelia.9763

UnfairOphelia.9763

I agree completely, the recipes really need to be adjusted for reality. As our Guild scribe, I was eagerly looking forward to making new things, and sorely disappointed when I saw the requirements.

I absolutely love the way Anet makes chunks of the jade sea, and really want to make a Jade Sanctum area in our Guild Hall, but that’s going to take forever. Plus a pair of dancing holograms for our karaoke/celebration lounge. Oh well, back to fractals for a long, long, long time I guess.

Scribe and Executive Officer of Sognatori di Tramonto [DRMS] on Fort Aspenwood.
A proud altaholic and cartographer.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

They could do a daily fractal token drop (or buy) or something to get 1 fractal base deco from merchant in guild hall.

Alilinke.7690

They could do a daily fractal token drop (or buy) or something to get 1 fractal base deco from merchant in guild hall.

Yes, this is an appropriate suggestion. Instead of having to spend our fractal relics, add a drop from daily chests that give a token you can trade in at the guild hall for fractal decorations. You could even have a vendor in the fractal lobby that trades fractal relics for this token at 150 relics each.