Fractal tiered selection is flawed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lyndis.4653

Lyndis.4653

Since PvE section is yet to be found I’ll post that here.

My aim here is to explain why the current way fractals are picked is not filling its role. It has probably already been said but I didn’t see it so I’m writing this just in case it is not already clear to devs.

The aim of this system was to avoid players having the possibility to get multiple long fractals in a single run, basically to avoid having 2nd and 3rd fractals to both be long and/or hard.

There are two issues about tiered fractal selection : the dual tiered fractals and some misplaced fractals.

I) Dual tiered fractals

The fact that dual tiered fractals exist is not an issue in itself but the way they are currently used is just working against the initial goal.

Let’s take an example : your second fractal is a dual tiered tier2/tier3 fractal. That means this fractal is rather hard/long for a tier 2 fractal and rather easy/short for a tier 3 fractal. So picking this fractal as a second fractal means you get a harder 2nd fractal and you are less likely to get an easier fractal as a third. Basically it is a loss-loss scenario.

What should be done : if you get a harder 2nd fractal, you should be getting an easier 3rd. A proper way to use dual-tiered fractal could for instance be “if you get a tier2/tier3 fractal as a second fractal, your third fractal should also be tier2/tier3”.

II) Misplaced fractals

No need for long explanations here, as someone who plays fractals quite a lot, I can tell you some fractals are not where they should be, let’s take a look at the current tiers :

T1 : Underwater, Swamp
T1/T2 : Harpies, Ascalon
T2 : Svanir, Molten
T2/T3 : Colossus
T3 : Aetherblade, Grawls, Thaumanova, Dredges

First things first : harpies’ fractal is not that easy and is really really long, this is in no possible way tier 1 material. To be honest I find it easier and quicker to do Thaumanova or aetherblade fractal rather than either harpies or Ascalon. So my point here is : t1/t2 fractals are seriously misplaced and no party will ever want to start with them except for the added challenge (or because of a lack of awareness about rerolling the first fractal :x).

Another example : grawl fractal is not long, it might be hard but honestly once you know what you have to do (and what you have to not do ^^) it’s honestly not a bad fractal to get. So that’s probably way more t2/t3 material than colossus which is long no matter what and becomes hard-ish at high level. Actually Thaumanova and aetherblade are also t2/t3 in my eyes and colossus should be t3.

I’m not trying to be exhaustive, that’s just the most obvious examples in my eyes, I could be writing revised tiers but I leave that task to you devs if you think my point is valid.

T1/t2 fractals seems unneeded to me since people will almost always reroll the first fractal to get a shorter/easier one. An idea for this tier (if it is to stay) on next paragraph.

On a last note : dredges are just painful to play. I don’t care if some people say it can be done quickly. Actually quickly in dredge fractal means “only long, not very long”. Seriously it is long no matter how fast you get through its content and there is absolutely nothing about it, no fight, no puzzle, no strat, nothing that I enjoy about it. I even find the “landscape” to be ugly. I think this one should only be rolled if you had 2 short fractals before. This way t1/t2 fractals could be interesting : an anti dredge assurance !

That’s it, I hope the best for fractals in the future, please don’t be too hesitant to improve them !

(edited by Lyndis.4653)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Out of curiously what level fractals are you talking about here?

Because at higher levels, the grawl fractal, particularly the last boss, can be brutal. And I’ve never had a particularly hard time in the harpy fractal. I don’t find it that hard to be honest.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I would restructure the tiers to the following:

T1: Underwater, Swamp
T1/T2: Svanir, Molten
T2: Harpies, Ascalon
T2/T3: Aetherblade
T3: Grawls, Thaumanova, Colossus
T3 Conditional: Dredge*

*Only rolled if you receive a T1 fractal (Underwater, Swamp) followed by a T1/T2 Fractal (Harpies, Ascalon).

Posted by: Lyndis.4653

Lyndis.4653

Well I was doing lv48 daily before the fractal update, now I’m still finishing to level up again, I’m at 43 right now but I have already defeated the grawl shaman at level 50, not that big of a deal…

Harpies is not really hard, but still easily harder/longer in my eyes than thaumanova/aetherblade/molten for instance : it requires some coordination to get through jump phases, the fight against ettin+fire is always tiring, the first cat golem once again requires coordination (or safe spot strat) and the 4 last golems can be troublesome with not that great PUGs while the mad asura can wreck people without enough AR as soon as reflections wear off.