Fractals or Dungeons What Do You Prefer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kingsdavid.3598

Kingsdavid.3598

For The Next Expansion What Do You Prefer.
I personally prefer Dungeons.
I think they in engage more in the story and the feeling that you are doing something with a purpose that infect the overall story (of the dungeon and the world).
While fractals feel more disjointed and just “there”. You don’t really feel any reason to do them apart from gear progression and Anet choosing it to be the end game content.
What do you prefer/think?

(edited by Kingsdavid.3598)

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Both! Fractals when I feel like fast-paced, challenging content, or just chilling and goofing around with some guildies on low tiers. Dungeons when I’m in story mood .

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

Yeah, no need to have a preference. Just do what you’re in the mood for . . .

Kingsdavid.3598

Both! Fractals when I feel like fast-paced, challenging content, or just chilling and goofing around with some guildies on low tiers. Dungeons when I’m in story mood .

Yeah, no need to have a preference. Just do what you’re in the mood for . . .

I may have missguided you with the headline.
I met for the next expansion what do you prefer.

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

Oh, fractals will get the dev attention in the future. Dungeons are done. There will not be any more . . .

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Fractals
They’re shorter than dungeons and scale in difficulty. Dungeons are longer and have a static difficulty.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think they should make a mix of both: fast paced with scaling difficulty like fractals, but with a deeper storyline like dungeons. If the maps and mobs were also procedurally generated, it would be just awesome.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Amaimon.7823

I think they should make a mix of both: fast paced with scaling difficulty like fractals, but with a deeper storyline like dungeons. If the maps and mobs were also procedurally generated, it would be just awesome.

It looks like they want to tell a story now, though, regarding the Chaos Fractal events

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Dungeons, fractals, wvw, pvp, raids,and so forth along with the never ending drive to toss all of those modes under the bus in the name of esports.

Point being they don’t sit on anything long enough or even try to fix anything as a long term commitment. Look at underwater combat people just wanted it balanced and their skills usable and Anet removed it from pvp, stopped underwater legends well before normal legends, and HoT barely has a lick of water the most we got were underwater caverns in TD.

It’s a mindset really and these modes like dungeons and so forth are forgotten by anet for the next big thing they want to implement. Personally I I think the foundation needs repaired before another mode is introduced and I’d have to say dungeons over fractals because dungeons at least progress the main story. Your not going to have a generic mode for raids or fractals that exists solely to introduce the player to the mode and progress the story.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Fractals, please.

Dungeons are mostly terrible in my opinion. I had lots of fun with them, but they were designed to be static environments and they don’t grow with our changing skills, builds, or tactics. Fractals offer more tools to tweak encounters, without forcing a complete makeover, e.g. instabilities can be added/updated to account for any new meta.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Fractals
They’re shorter than dungeons and scale in difficulty. Dungeons are longer and have a static difficulty.

This. Fractals by far.

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

I like both, but like fractals better. With fractals, you can do a lot more with them far more then you could ever do with dungeons. Its also evident that adding a new dungeon would take longer to create then adding a new fractal.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I enjoy dungeons better than fractals even though they take longer. Every single fractal feels disjointed to me, and you can’t really skip any boring parts like you can in dungeons

Posted by: Nebelparder.3751

Nebelparder.3751

Well i don’t care if we get new fractals or dungeone i just don’t like the infusion system. It got a lil better but it’s still brainless grinding. The worst part of it are the attribute infusions. I know the stats they give aren’t that high but i don’t see why they have to be there. And pls don’t tell me that we need them as a long therm motivation.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Dungeons good, fractals bad.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

After 4 years I still have troubles understanding the difference between the two. Both are instanced group content with fixed layouts and encounters, some gimmicks might vary, but that does not make a big difference.

So, basically, my answer would be: neither.

Btw, thank you A-Net for focussing more on open world content during LS3 than you did in LS2. Of course for me LS1 is unrivaled, but it is also gone, which is what every living story does, being only available during ‘its’ time.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

There’s nothing I enjoyed in this game as much as dungeon running, but fractals are the way forward.

I’d still like a new dungeon or two for old times’ sake though.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I prefer dungeons by far. To me, fractals always felt like a trash bin of idea that didn’t make it as dungeons.

Kingsdavid.3598

I would like to add that the dungeons add story from anther perspective to the overall story Arc. They elaborate more on the main story and give a feeling of purpose on doing them, And it doesn’t have to come from tedious text grind, you actualy there when the thing happens (like Rytlock Logan “moment”).
And this is where raids took the handles on this one (which is good and bad, because dungeons were left in the dark).
While fractals are there in there instance that is secluded from the rest of the world and don’t really relate to anything.

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

It looks like they want to tell a story now, though, regarding the Chaos Fractal events

Yet another story they will never finish till 2089

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I would like to add that the dungeons add story from anther perspective to the overall story Arc. They elaborate more on the main story and give a feeling of purpose on doing them, And it doesn’t have to come from tedious text grind, you actualy there when the thing happens (like Rytlock Logan “moment”).
And this is where raids took the handles on this one (which is good and bad, because dungeons were left in the dark).
While fractals are there in there instance that is secluded from the rest of the world and don’t really relate to anything.

Just an FYI, the devs are no longer working on or making dungeons anymore. Only fractals and raids now.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Kingsdavid.3598

Just an FYI, the devs are no longer working on or making dungeons anymore. Only fractals and raids now.

I already know that.
But I think that Anet lately starting to really listen to the community and I feel like if enough people would like to see the return of dungeons the maybe Anet will bring them back.
Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong, still worth the shoot

Amaimon.7823

Yet another story they will never finish till 2089

But a story nonetheless. Years of reading Berserk and Hunter x Hunter have hardened my patience into an impentrable fortress that impatience cannot pierce. I can wait till 2089