Free trial I can give friends?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

I no longer play any other MMO due to Guild Wars 2 but many of my old online buddies seem to be stuck on stupid and won’t budge from World of Warcraft.

I can see there logic in a way and it’s because many other MMO’s that came out pretty much did not live up to the hype, so they feel ripped off, so because of that they won’t buy into Guild Wars 2 unless they get to play it first hand.

So is there a free limited trial and if so how can I go about hooking them up?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

There has only been one trial since the game launched. It was during the weekend of the Lost Shores patch launch and limited to friends of current players only.

Haven’t heard anything about another trial.

Posted by: Nefarious.2014

Nefarious.2014

I would have 3 friends trying this game tomorrow and hooked next week if there was a trial.

Why would there not be one by default?

Posted by: Kalaster.9014

Kalaster.9014

why is it that almost all p2p games skip out on free trials? It seems silly to have to wait until your player base dies or not have any trial at all! I wana get my friend playing too, but he seems skeptic about it. And forget about loaning your password out, you’ll either get locked out or banned =/

Posted by: gabber.9723

gabber.9723

Agreed on needing free trials available. The only reason I’m playing this game is because I was given an invite during the Lost Shore event. Once I d/l the game and started playing, I bought a digital deluxe version of it after one day of play!

Seriously Anet, you folks need to get the game out there for folks to sample. They’ll love it.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Guild wars 1 took like…3 years for a free trial? I seem to recall something like that.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I would have 3 friends trying this game tomorrow and hooked next week if there was a trial.

Q:Why would there not be one by default?
A: RMT RMT RMT RMT

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: draakdorei.9436

draakdorei.9436

This could be heavily limited by applying some of the (previous, it’s now F2P instead of P2P) free trial restrictions as Tera to a GW2 trial.

Example:

Free Trial Restrictions
Max level 30
20g limit
Max crafting skill of 100
2 characters per server

Chat restrictions:
Map chat (may see but cannot talk)
Whispers (excluding Friends list)

Limits to:
Banker. You cannot deposit gold into your bank.
Mail. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them.
Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list.
Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite.
Trading Post. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.

Other restrictions:
No WvWvW or Paid Tournament SPvP.
Free Tournament SPvP available once per day.
No trading.
You may not transfer to another server.

Draakdorei – L80 Sylvari Engineer Support/Healer
Drake Rovan – L80 Human Ranger AoE Ranger/Spirit Buffer

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

This could be heavily limited by applying some of the (previous, it’s now F2P instead of P2P) free trial restrictions as Tera to a GW2 trial.

Example:

Free Trial Restrictions
Max level 30
20g limit
Max crafting skill of 100
2 characters per server

Chat restrictions:
Map chat (may see but cannot talk)
Whispers (excluding Friends list)

Limits to:
Banker. You cannot deposit gold into your bank.
Mail. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them.
Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list.
Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite.
Trading Post. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.

Other restrictions:
No WvWvW or Paid Tournament SPvP.
Free Tournament SPvP available once per day.
No trading.
You may not transfer to another server.

They tried that, take a look at Aion when it went free to play. The RMT spam is non stop on every servers chat. Even with said restrictions. A HUGE advantage that GW2 has is that people don’t want to pay 60 bucks, bot/rmt then lose the account. Its too much of a risk. Which is great for us non rmt people. After experiencing 4 years of RMT in FFXI, and 5 years in Aion, nothing was worse than seeing a game go free to play as far as RMT.

Aside from that, the RMT management team would have a huge workload, and possibly people not even in that department as well. This takes people away from important aspects, bugs, bots, updates, expansions etc.

One big game changer for me is when they go free to play, B2P is fine because of teh risk you don’t see scrolling RMT chat 24/7. Which is amazing. I’ve received 1 RMT mail in 2 months, that’s it. I reported and it was done. Trials allow in the bad sort of people, along with legitiment players. I would say the best thing if they want this is allow (one) key to be sent by players with over 30 days gameplay and no bad statuses to a friend. This would limit just anyone from getting in and abusing the system. Really though, I cannot stand the RMT influx when games go f2p.. And the amount of employees who end up away from normal work to deal with them..

But who knows, some of the stuff you posted looks like it may work. I’m just hesitant to want to see that model again after I just left it..

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I am astounded by how many MMOs think they don’t really need a free, limited trial or demo of some kind — especially the ones that make you buy the initial game, plus subscribe for $15/month. GW2 isn’t as bad, since there’s no monthly fee after the initial purchase, but the retail price is still pretty steep. Obviously, someone who’s on the fence about getting the game isn’t going to just take a chance on it for $60. But, if you let them try it out they may get hooked and decide it’s worth a purchase after all. And at the very least, you’ve now got the client on their system. Best advertising you could ask for.