Friends list rework ASAP

Friends list rework ASAP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Hello ANET I’d really like for you guys to rework your friends list and followers list. Right now you can’t decline friend request and when you remove friends they just get switched to followers. It gets really annoying having 100+ people on your block list……. and not know y u block them etc…..

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

removing someone from your friend list doesn’t put them on the followers list afaik. Followers have you on their friends list. apart from a polite request I don’t see any way to get those names off your list. there’s always the /block feature, but that should be used sparingly and for gold sellers.

anytime I have gone through and removed people from my blocked list I have never had a sudden influx of unwanted whispers. if it becomes a problem, block them again.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

What difference does it make? To “Accept” a friend request you both add each other -now you both appear on each others friends list. If you don’t add him as well he appears on your followers list, you appear on his friend list. So hes not on your friends list, kind of like other games that show a “friend request received”…

Out of curiosity how many people actually say “NO YOU CAN’T ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS LIST!!!” When someone asks?

Not really sure what any of the friend/follower list stuff has to do with the block list, if you blocked them, you should know why; it’s not like they just appeared blocked one day for no reason.

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

I don’t want a random person knowing when i log on etc… thats stalker as kitten… I shouldn’t have to worry about it. And yes they do get put to your followers list. Lots of blocks for lots of reasons. Gold/stalkers/bm/ etc..

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

I don’t want a random person knowing when i log on etc… thats stalker as kitten… I shouldn’t have to worry about it.

Adding someone to your friends list isn’t really being a stalker. Paranoid much?

Now the fact that it shows you where people on your block list are isn’t really that thrilling, but w/e.

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

At least GW2 shows you who has you on their friend’s list. In GW1 people coudl add you and you’d never know. It’s the same in many other games I have played. Only in some games do you get a pop up that requests the ability to add someone as a friend.

It doesn’t particularly bother me if someone I’ve played with adds me to their friends list and pops up on my followers list. (I have quite a big followers list, which surprises the hell out of me. ) It doesn’t function any different than twitter, for example.

If they give me an issue, then I block them. Generally speaking, if someone is on my block list, I remember why (because it had to be really bad to warrant that action from me).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

Nope people are really weird and I know from experience. IDK why your trying to defend stalkers… If I don’t want you on my followers list or friends list its simple I should be able to not have you on it… Its a QoL issue. Im not a leader I don’t want followers…….

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

Nope people are really weird and I know from experience. IDK why your trying to defend stalkers… If I don’t want you on my followers list or friends list its simple I should be able to not have you on it… Its a QoL issue. Im not a leader I don’t want followers…….

LOL I’m not trying to defend stalkers, stalkers are creepy. I’m trying to defend all the people who add someone because they had fun working as a team without saying or asking. That’s hardly “stalker” material.

Do you actually know what a stalker is? (at least in the extreme negative conatation you are implying)

Friends list rework ASAP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not defending stalkers. If someone legitimately adds you to their friends list and actually stalks you, then that’s an issue that needs to be taken to support.

Just adding someone that you enjoyed playing with so that you can ask them to play again in the future is not stalking. Even as much as I hate people, and hate being required to group with people for certain things (the “challenging” part of content should not be the finding of competent, non-kitten people), this design decision doesn’t even remotely bother me. (And yes, I have a few that regularly ask me if I’d like to fractal or dungeon with them)

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

LOL I’m not trying to defend stalkers, stalkers are creepy. I’m trying to defend all the people who add someone because they had fun working as a team without saying or asking. That’s hardly “stalker” material.

Do you actually know what a stalker is? (at least in the extreme negative conatation you are implying)

Lol if u had fun with them then you “follow” them to see if they add you on friends list…. Your logic makes no sense. We all know people in this game have 30+ accounts just to troll/BM so lets be real here man. Everyone has a limit. Some peoples lives revolve around the internet so they stalk people so they have something to go do… Again you trying to defend stalking people really makes me question your character.

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Eh, i kinda agree with this..i was looking through my “Follower list” and i went..“I dont know all but two of these people”. And none of them ever talk to me outside those two, or three players. So why in the hell did they add me? WOT has a better friends list than this game, in so far as both people have to accept the request…and yes i have turned down many requests before in that game, id probably do it here too. Just so i would know which people i talk to and which ones i dont. like..oh about..80+ of my followers right now..

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

Lol if u had fun with them then you “follow” them to see if they add you on friends list…. Your logic makes no sense. We all know people in this game have 30+ accounts just to troll/BM so lets be real here man.

I really doubt many people have 30+ accounts… if they do, wow that’s a lot of wasted money. Accounts aren’t free, or even on sale most of the time. Are you sure your claim is being real man?

If you enjoyed playing someone and add them that doesn’t make you a stalker… It doesn’t mean you are stalking them. It means you had fun playing the game with them. It seems like your complaint is with the term “follower” maybe it should be changed to read “follower in a totaly not creepy way”, or we could even go with “follower in a non-stalkerish fashion”. Bottom line, adding someone because you enjoyed playing GW2 with them is not being a stalker.

Seriously starting to seem like a troll post.

@Dante, how does having them on your followers list hurt you? If you liked playing with them, then add them to friends, if you couldn’t stand them block them, if you aren’t sure, just leave them where they are.

(edited by Miku.6297)

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I sometimes put people that I’ve reported onto friends list so that I can see if they disappear for a few days. Stalking for the win!

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Friends list rework ASAP

Dante.1763

@Dante, how does having them on your followers list hurt you? If you liked playing with them, then add them to friends, if you couldn’t stand them block them, if you aren’t sure, just leave them where they are.

It doesnt “Hurt” me. Its a bloody annoyance. I dont remember they are, they dont talk to me. Why are they there then? what is the point of following someone you never whisper or do anything with? Nothing hurting here at all, i just would rather have a follower list made up of people that i know, do stuff with and talk to, instead of one filled with people who never get online, or do get online but never talk to me. Its pointless for them to follow me if they dont ever want to do anything with me. When ive tried to get ahold of them to find who they are, i never hear back, so again, why keep following me?

Edit: I agree the OPs thread is going downhill and looking less like an actual complaint and more trollish..

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Friends list rework ASAP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I sometimes put people that I’ve reported onto friends list so that I can see if they disappear for a few days. Stalking for the win!

lol, lets just make him more paranoid

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

It doesnt “Hurt” me. Its a bloody annoyance. I dont remember they are, they dont talk to me. Why are they there then? what is the point of following someone you never whisper or do anything with? Nothing hurting here at all, i just would rather have a follower list made up of people that i know, do stuff with and talk to, instead of one filled with people who never get online, or do get online but never talk to me. Its pointless for them to follow me if they dont ever want to do anything with me. When ive tried to get ahold of them to find who they are, i never hear back, so again, why keep following me?

You have complete control over your own friends list, you just don’t have control over anyone else’s. If you are added it shows up to let you know that you’ve been added. If you then block your “follower” they will receive no more information about you.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

The list you are describing sounds a lot like the friend list.

The follower list is more like a compilation of people that you played with and enjoyed playing the game with you. They probably don’t actually think they are causing you any distress or annoyance, as it really doesn’t have any negative impact on your play.

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

The follower list is more like a compilation of people that you played with and enjoyed playing the game with you. They probably don’t actually think they are causing you any distress or annoyance, as it really doesn’t have any negative impact on your play.

What your describing is a friends list.

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Really, my name is what you’re on about? I liked the series it comes from, I like the base meaning of her name (which for those that have not read The Wheel of Time series, means ‘Daughter of the Night’). Moving on…

Talk about super paranoid people… I have to ask, do you feel like you’re being followed every time you leave your house too?

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

I think the OP has a valid point. I play with people and their are times where I just need a break from the group or guild or friends on my list, and it would be nice to be able to log on without feeling compelled to say hi to certain people or groups etc… I know there is an invisible option, but often times its just a few people that I dont want them to know I am online, while others I may still want to talk to. It would be nice if online status only showed people on your friends list if they were online or not. people on followers or block list dont need to know that info, cuz they can always shoot an email off to the person, and that person can choose to respond or not.

Friends list rework ASAP

Dante.1763

I know, and thats why i said i prefer the WOT friend list ^^ They dont have a follower list, just a friends list, and to be on it you both have to accept the friend request(Which i do quite a bit) and if either of the two remove it, then you disappear from theirs, and they disappear from yours. Like i said though, its just an annoyance, and i honestly can ignore it easily enough, unlike other annoyances in the game

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

The point I’m trying to make is at least give us the option to decline a follower. thats all that is really needed.

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

“The follower list is more like a compilation of people that you played with and enjoyed playing the game with you. " – Miku

What your describing is a friends list.

No what I described is the Follower list. the friends list is a compliation of people that you played with that you enjoyed playing the game with. The key difference is followers enjoyed playing the game with you, friends are those that YOU decided you enjoyed playing with as well.

I like to stalk people? Please lets avoid remarks like that. I don’t stalk people… Hell I barely even use the friends list, the only time I add someone is if they ask about adding me I always say sure and add them too. I am not defending stalkers. I’m stating that Stalking someone is far more then adding them to your friends/followers list.

AND GW2 because people have already admitted in the past years that they have multiple accounts…..

You said “We all know people in this game have 30+ accounts just to troll/BM so lets be real here man”. How many people do you know that have that many accounts? How many people have more then 5?! This isn’t like League where an account to troll is free. People have said they have multiple accounts, most of them have not said they have them to troll.

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

I can see reasons for a followers list especially dungeons (fractals 50) if you are doing harder content (not that dungeons are difficult) you want people who play well to make the experience go more smoothly. So I could see people adding one another for those types of things without actually taking to them other than to ask if they wanted a fill slot in a dungeon run…Sorry feeding the troll I guess.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Sometimes, I put people on my follower list to note what they do everyday for months. I then put myself on their schedule, try to play with them, because I suffer from obsession whenever I meet someone. When I know what they do, I try to guess their name and adress using reverse psychology, and I get a mad pleasure stalking them.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Friends list rework ASAP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sometimes, I put people on my follower list to note what they do everyday for months. I then put myself on their schedule, try to play with them, because I suffer from obsession whenever I meet someone. When I know what they do, I try to guess their name and adress using reverse psychology, and I get a mad pleasure stalking them.

<3 rofl

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I really doubt many people have 30+ accounts… if they do, wow that’s a lot of wasted money.

Have you ever spent or planned on spending money on gems? Investing in a new account is far more profitable, and you don’t even have to play it.

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

I really doubt many people have 30+ accounts… if they do, wow that’s a lot of wasted money.

Have you ever spent or planned on spending money on gems? Investing in a new account is far more profitable, and you don’t even have to play it.

I have! I actually do have an extra account my self… but that’s no where near the OPs stated mark of 30… Also having extra accounts for earning money is not the same as having accounts literally to troll people.

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

I, for one, often add commanders I like from WWW and/or PvE events — not to /w to them, it’s just a nice way to see when they are on some zone I’m interested in and I can check if they are leading something I want to join in.

EU / Aurora Glade

Friends list rework ASAP

Zoso.8279

Ok re-reading this thread I come off as very aggressive.. sorry about that. But my point still stand. Friend/Follower/Block list needs a rework ASAP!

Necromancer Main

Friends list rework ASAP

Dante.1763

I, for one, often add commanders I like from WWW and/or PvE events — not to /w to them, it’s just a nice way to see when they are on some zone I’m interested in and I can check if they are leading something I want to join in.

Thats quite reasonable actually. If i did that stuff i would totally understand that and it probably wouldnt annoy me, id actually expect that

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

[quote=5119150;Zoso.8279:And yes they do get put to your followers list.[/quote]No. People in follower list are those that have you friended, but are not on your friend list. If they didn’t have you on their list, then removing them from your list will not “move them” anywhere.

I don’t want a random person knowing when i log on etc…

You do realize, that if they have you on their block list, they get the same info? This is a way bigger problem, by the way.

Personally, i’d rather neither list showed anything more beyond online status unless that person has you on their friend list. With both lists showing nothing at all (even online status) if that person had you blocked.

Not really sure what any of the friend/follower list stuff has to do with the block list, if you blocked them, you should know why; it’s not like they just appeared blocked one day for no reason.

After some time you might not remember anymore. I’d really like a “short note” field added to the block list, where you could put a reason for block to remind you later on.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Friends list rework ASAP

Miku.6297

After some time you might not remember anymore. I’d really like a “short note” field added to the block list, where you could put a reason for block to remind you later on.

Ahh, I never really add people to block unless they are gold sellers. For those that do a note system like on the friends list would be great… Kind of odd how every thing else from the friends/followers list carries over to block except that.

Edit..

Just logged in to check the note system does work on your block list ~ open block list; right click name; set nickname; type in something “gold seller” “spammer” etc

(edited by Miku.6297)

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

TIL I have around 300 stalkers….

You flatter yourself if you are think all those ppl on your followers list are just waiting around to stalk you in game.

There is an invisible mode btw.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

problem with the invisible mode is that it blocks EVERYONE from sending you messages. I can send a whisper out to a friend but they cant reply cuz it will block them. Also what if I want to just exclude people from seeing that i am online, say a particular annoying friend etc that you only want occasional chat with? there needs to be a way you can block specific people from seeing your info and online availability is all Im sayin.

Friends list rework ASAP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is the friends-list functionality sufficient? No probably not. There are several features and behaviors I’ve wanted to see since GW1, including the fact that, as the OP says , the default should be: no extra information provided unless the accounts are mutual friends.

But is this urgently required? No, I don’t think so, especially compared to other features and bugfixes that affect more people more often.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”