From Hero to Nobody in 80 levels

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The character is born as a hero who later becomes a member of an Order and gets promoted so that at the end he/she become a simple filler in a big army with some to no responsibilities at all who kills the huge dragon threat spamming skill No 1.
What do we do now? Living Story.

So we dropped from The Hero of… to Mr. Nobody in 80 levels

This is a first in all my RPG games playing history.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It’s pretty much how real life works though…

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

To be fair, most levels 80s today are just men and women who worked in sweatshops producing hundreds of swords, leather caps, and meals for other people.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Posted by: literalirony.7591

literalirony.7591

I agree that it’s interesting. It works in an MMO though, do they really expect me to believe that me and the other 1500 people standing around in lion’s arch were all the hero of Tyria? Being a cog in a larger machine at least makes some sense.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Except this is a game, we come here to have fun, slay monsters and get lost in the fantasy world, if we wanted something like real life, a game wouldn’t be the place we would look.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Think positive. Kormir is a god now. That’s something right?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

yeah Kormir… about that…

anyway, nobody is asking for credibility i’m and the 1500 are all heroes, but we all are brave people with no story to be told or be part of, all running from a minigame to another

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Except this is a game, we come here to have fun, slay monsters and get lost in the fantasy world, if we wanted something like real life, a game wouldn’t be the place we would look.

You can have fun, slay monsters and get lost in the fantasy world without being “A God Walking Amonst Mere Mortals”, so your argument is irrelevant.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

The character is born as a hero who later becomes a member of an Order and gets promoted so that at the end he/she become a simple filler in a big army with some to no responsibilities at all who kills the huge dragon threat spamming skill No 1.

Interesting way of putting it but yeah, you are right. Ive mentioned this in another thread I believe. We spend so much time in personal story and marketing was touting the personal story. We kill this big dragon who was unstoppable. And then…
then…
we got pirates
and karka
and..sky people.
and some disgruntled flame/frost..and there COULD be some invisible hand guiding all of this..but we have no idea.

Where are the dragons? Wheres the dreadful threat to the world?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Who says the story is done being told yet?

Amadan.9451

You can have fun, slay monsters and get lost in the fantasy world without being “A God Walking Amonst Mere Mortals”, so your argument is irrelevant.

sure but doing so with no motivation because a npc with no name ask me to do so or npc with names i couldn’t care less about make it really pointless.

the first part of the personal story, the one about your very character creation choices is a very fun and enjoyable story for me… than you become more and more anonimous and in the end you are nobody voting for the next dungeon to add not the person that will add it

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The story is only the beginning. They even TOLD you that in the scenes. If you think all heroes do nothing about heroic stuff…think again.

Right now, we’re doing other stuff. Fighting dragons isn’t important but helping keep the peace isn’t a bad job for a hero. Nor is throwing your support behind a potential captain’s council candidate.

I think standard heroic fantasy has been done to death. Frankly I wish there weren’t even dragons in this game.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

unfortunately the “Everyone needs to get a trophy” mindset has done away with any and all meaningful living content in every game.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think this is a general problem with the story. They wanted people to feel like a hero so that’s the way it started. (It’s also ridiculous that you choose the course of action with the factions standing around), could have been done a little better. Like the norn story where you take the warrior or the mage (I think, I don’t remember).

As the story progresses it’s clear that the lore can’t support the character being the actual hero so they introduce Tra—- lets call him leaf boy. And leaf boy becomes the hero with you doing all the heavy lifting.

I think the story would have made more sense (but not necessarily been better) if you were always a cog. You start out with an impressive, but not ridiculous career as a grunt, having grunt adventures, maybe you stumble on some information about the risen and get invited into the order. (Different races and different stories could have found different clues that together paint a clear picture).

The end of the story should have been that you work toward a piece of bringing Zhitan down. Again, each race or faction could play a different role. Leaf boy could have been a coordinator. Cuts scenes could have shown him as an actual leader, given directives to the different race / faction and you carry out your part.

But that would have required a lot more story and would have been hard to pull off. It’s easy to criticize, it’s hard to create.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

cesmode.4257

I know some people arent done with their story, but we are almost a year into the game. Id guess a good majority of the playerbase has completed the main story with at least one character. Time to continue it IMO, and theres been no whisper of doing so.

Id say a year is more than enough time to give people that even joined the game a few months ago to complete their story. If people have not completed it by now, they are not too interested in doing so and therefor more story would not impact their experience much anyways.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I think the pact knows what’s up. I still get called commander here and there. It’s weird though coming across members of the one of the orders and that person can’t tell that I’m in their order simply by looking at my order armor. Treat me like a spy if you want, but I just killed Zhaitan peon.

My characters in the OoW well, it makes perfect sense. Everything we do is from the shadows. No heroes here. At least none that we can speak about or mention their names because they don’t exist. To the fallen, including those who became plushie backpacks, they get a star on the wall. Yeah, we are like the C I A, only we dress better…and have better skills, we shadow step…shadow refuge, shadow way point…shadow beer, shadow dance, shadow shadow a shadow. Yup.

Honestly, None of my characters asked to be a hero. We just do what we think is right (for our pockets and survival). Man, me saying we and our…I’m going to need therapy.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

No my argument is that real life and what happens there should have no relevance in a fantasy game.

TooBz.3065

I know some people arent done with their story, but we are almost a year into the game. Id guess a good majority of the playerbase has completed the main story with at least one character. Time to continue it IMO, and theres been no whisper of doing so.

People who haven’t completed their story and have been playing for a long time have probably won’t finish. In 8 months I have not completed my “personal story” once, and I have no intention of doing so unless they “force” me to. (By force I mean make the reward so compelling that I do it even though I don’t like it.)

Edit: +1 to cesmode, continuing the story is a great idea.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

cesmode.4257

People who haven’t completed their story and have been playing for a long time have probably won’t finish. In 8 months I have not completed my “personal story” once, and I have no intention of doing so unless they “force” me to. (By force I mean make the reward so compelling that I do it even though I don’t like it.)

And that is completely fine. There are many people that have completed theirs in the last 11 months, some people have done it on several characters. We are anxious to continue it. So by adding more personal story, it wouldnt impact people like you who have no interest in it, and thats fine.

Its just a bit unnerving to realize that they havent even whispered anything about this when it was such a large part of the leveling process, at least for most people.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

So what you’re saying is saving refugees from the molten alliance, liberating what was left of cragstead and stopping the skypirates from getting a seat on the lion’s arch council didnt feel heroic enough for you? Just go to cragstead and talk to the npcs there, many of them will disagree with you. And yeah I mean truely disagree with you as some will flat out show their appreciation at saving them and their loved ones.

Amadan.9451

The story is only the beginning. They even TOLD you that in the scenes. If you think all heroes do nothing about heroic stuff…think again.

Right now, we’re doing other stuff. Fighting dragons isn’t important but helping keep the peace isn’t a bad job for a hero. Nor is throwing your support behind a potential captain’s council candidate.

I think standard heroic fantasy has been done to death. Frankly I wish there weren’t even dragons in this game.

sorry, i didn’t explain myself very well.
i think the politics could have had a lot of potential and it is very original for an on line game, and i don’t always want to fight dragons.

what i want is:
if i have to vote for this or that character my choice should be made story wise, not because they add one dungeon or the other.
also, i should do things like supporting because the story take me to it, not because i browse the achievement panel and see what’s next to do.
i don’t even mind a non linear story, and i like the fact that despite a bigger threats people still fight and plot agains each other, it is very good stuff, but i don’t feel involved in any of this, the storytelling is not compelling enough to make me care about.

when flame and frost started i was more interested in what was going on, and the memento collecting or the sign post building was just a part of that (although i shouldn’t be finished because i reached the 75 point of the achievement but because i built every sign post and found the memento for every npc who required it, like a scanvenging hunt. i loved the halloween scavenging hunt more than any other minigames added so far).

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: tastegw.2617

tastegw.2617

he used to be my slave, now he is a god ;/ what gives.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

That’s what happens when you go from a small pond to a big ocean.

Take the humans: Wtf is Shaemoor? Exactly. It’s a back wood town that no one knows the name of, so of course you’re going to be the hero of it. But the WORLD?! To even be a part of the saving of that is an amazing feat.

TooBz.3065

And that is completely fine. There are many people that have completed theirs in the last 11 months, some people have done it on several characters. We are anxious to continue it. So by adding more personal story, it wouldnt impact people like you who have no interest in it, and thats fine.

Its just a bit unnerving to realize that they havent even whispered anything about this when it was such a large part of the leveling process, at least for most people.

I agree. To clarify, I was trying to support your post. I agree that they should continue the story for those who are interested in it. People who haven’t done it yet probably wont.

Edit: updated my original post so it’s no longer ambiguous.

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

GW2 story is really lacking… compare to GW1, that was better. ALSO, the way people having conversation in cutscene, one person stand left and one person stand right… wow… talk about low budget fix

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The story treats the player as a hero no matter where he goes, and suddenly Trehearne pops up, and everyone starts calling him the hero instead. It’s nothing like in real life, and it’s nothing with the story scale going up. It’s simply the writing that attempts to appeal to the player’s ego every single time in the most obvious way, and suddenly the writers remember that it’s a better idea for a NPC to get the credits instead for mmo reasons. GW1 did it better – and yes, even with Kormir.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

whats the point in being the savior of everything in a MMO? I dont understand this mindset. the more overpowered my character am, the less I identify with it.

I would rather be a strong, capable individual being part of something greater. being a footsoldier in a much larger conflict is much more fun than being superman who saves earth. that’s boring. I play MMOs to be part of something larger, not to experience a linear single player story.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

Remember when you were going to completely personalize your home instance with accolades and accomplishments and various odds and ends and be able to invite people in to view your splendor?

I kind of wish that actually happened. Easy to feel heroic when you’ve got a home instance to hop into with a trophy case of sorts.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I agree, its exactly what they did, your the hero, center of the story, alls well till level 30 then you play second fiddle to a ‘real’ party of hero’s, then you become a soldier/a small part of a bigger order. Finally, your a zero, awaiting rezzing on a dungeon floor, well some other players kill the dragon for you and are true heros…

Personal story = hero to zero in 80 levels…

Good idea, shame it gets completely derailed after level 30…

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

whats the point in being the savior of everything in a MMO? I dont understand this mindset. the more overpowered my character am, the less I identify with it.

Exactly. In an MMO you can either be the ultimate hero OR get immersed into a living world with thousands of other players. Both are mutual exclusive. Those who prefer option 1 should really play single-player games.

Ronah.2869

I agree, its exactly what they did, your the hero, center of the story, alls well till level 30 then you play second fiddle to a ‘real’ party of hero’s, then you become a soldier/a small part of a bigger order. Finally, your a zero, awaiting rezzing on a dungeon floor, well some other players kill the dragon for you and are true heros…

Personal story = hero to zero in 80 levels…

Good idea, shame it gets completely derailed after level 30…

Good point. I forgot this aspect that the whole “personal” story ends up in a mandatory party.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I hate all this you are a hero BS that MMORPG love to have. Are you trying to tell me that me and everyone of the potentially millions of players are all heroes? that makes no sense.

I wish MMORPG based their stories on the heroes simply being part of a giant army, which in some ways the personal story does by having trahearne being the main hero. I only wish, the player wasn’t a commander but a grunt because that would be more believable, in the context of the story.

Now if this was a single player game, then ya, the player should be the hero. A lot of MMO players want MMO to be different from single player games, but don’t want story mechanics that ONLY work in single player games to change in an MMO. I guess the saying “everybody wants a new MMO to be different, but exactly the same as their previous MMO, but somehow different and revolutionary” applies here.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Right now, we’re doing other stuff.

Right now, we’re losing the war – because we’re no longer fighting the war. Our one victory has ruined us. Instead of pressing our advantage, striking while the proverbial iron was hot, we’re bashing pinatas and chasing kites and playing at politics.

Meanwhile, the Elder Dragons are enjoying a wonderful stress-free holiday during which they can ponder where the big Z went wrong and make any necessary adjustments to their plans, all at their leisure. We’ve got them right where they want us.

It’s going to take a whopping big deus ex machina to save Tyria now.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Right now, we’re doing other stuff.

Right now, we’re losing the war – because we’re no longer fighting the war. Our one victory has ruined us. Instead of pressing our advantage, striking while the proverbial iron was hot, we’re bashing pinatas and chasing kites and playing at politics.

Meanwhile, the Elder Dragons are enjoying a wonderful stress-free holiday during which they can ponder where the big Z went wrong and make any necessary adjustments to their plans, all at their leisure. We’ve got them right where they want us.

It’s going to take a whopping big deus ex machina to save Tyria now.

Does it really feel like you’re losing the war? That’s one of the problems with the Living Story; we’re so busy doing all this episodic content – supporting politicians, destroying exploitative contracts, fighting pirates – that we’ve all but forgot the “threat” the Elder Dragons are supposed to represent.

From a lore standpoint, would you really care who wins an election in Lion’s Arch while there are four, possible five other Elder Dragons waiting to destroy the world? Are these dragons going to put their plans for world destruction on hold while we finish up the election?

It’s really a tough predicament for the developers. The Living Story is detracting from the overall plot, but the overall plot requires more careful handling than they can put into the average Living Story update.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

You DO know that players aren’t required to finish their personal story to follow the living story right? It wouldn’t be very fun for them (and newer players) to make the Living Story follow right after the Personal Story, I hope you agree.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I agree that it’s interesting. It works in an MMO though, do they really expect me to believe that me and the other 1500 people standing around in lion’s arch were all the hero of Tyria? Being a cog in a larger machine at least makes some sense.

Everyone but me are other adventurers. As far as Im concerned, I and only I am the hero. I think MMOs need to stop trying to canonize everyone’s story for everyone else, and play it out that way. Or are there also a million Snaff Savants who made the same golem a million times with the same crew? It suspended the idea of other main characters for so long, why forget that halfway through?

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

LOL

For once, I totally agree with you Vayne. =D

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Frodo went from Hero to Zero after the Ring of Power was destroyed. So what’s your point?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Ronah.2869

You DO know that players aren’t required to finish their personal story to follow the living story right? It wouldn’t be very fun for them (and newer players) to make the Living Story follow right after the Personal Story, I hope you agree.

I agree, even the developers said they need to do something that will fit both type of players: those who finished and those who didn’t finish the storyline.
I dont have a problem with the living story. I just want them to add everytime something, a small quest perhaps that would relate purely to a character that has finished the storyline.
Many people suggested to add some things related to your order. That would be something specific for your character even if they would ask you to collect 100 crystals or kill 10 moa birds.
phase1
“Hello commander” Welcome back from the war with the Dragon, but we need you now to do this […] to help us gain[….]. You may go and talk with the other orders first to see if they agree on our plans"
phase 2
“good, you are back, have they agreed? yes /no”
etc

These “traditional” type of quests sending you through the world will feel directly connected with you because they would be available only after you finish the story, giving the same time an incentive for players to finish it.

These chain of quests could be simply done in each update and can give a meaning to your character’s life: do I perform my order duties or I do some dragon festival?
If I miss out on the duties, for too long I might get excluded so what is more important? gaining achievements for bashing dragon pinatas or getting order points for some future rewards?

These are a few things that can make your character have choices and having a life of its own.

Ronah.2869

Frodo went from Hero to Zero after the Ring of Power was destroyed. So what’s your point?

Who is Frodo?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Who is Frodo?

Frodo Baggins, the main character in the Lord of the Rings books – and movies

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

I clicked on this really hoping it was going to be a Trahearne bashing thread. I was sadly disappointed.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

There was only one Dark Lord. There are bunches of Elder Dragons. And Frodo wouldn’t have a Ring of Power because in the Guild Wars universe Bilbo would have had to answer 100,000 riddles, collect 100,000 fish scales from Gollum’s garbage bin, complete the Balrog’s Bounce jumping puzzle in Moria, complete Sharky’s Shuffle in Isengard, learn the Misty Mountain Hop while blind-folded, dig 500,000 taters and 250,000 carrots and slaughter 100,000 rabbits for the Gift of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, mine and refine 9,000,000 chunks of mithril silver, and then defeat the Risen Smaug to get the kitten thing and then it would be soulbound on use.

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

I know what you mean. In Guild Wars 1, I was a hero! >=( I saved Tyria, Cantha, Elona, and even went and talked to that ignorant, angry little girl name Gwen. I liked her in prophecy though. Give her back her broken flute, red cape, and a new flute. Small act is heroic too! -_-\/

Guild Wars 2. My character is like a loss little guy who is completely clueless about everything. Didn’t bother with the storyline after I discovered I was just some minion of the storyline. You slayed a dragon? Oh, well I just slayed a cow! Same difference. I miss the evil tyrants that wants to take over the world.

inb4 mod comes and delete post and infract me for another post.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Ronah.2869

There was only one Dark Lord. There are bunches of Elder Dragons. And Frodo wouldn’t have a Ring of Power because in the Guild Wars universe Bilbo would have had to answer 100,000 riddles, collect 100,000 fish scales from Gollum’s garbage bin, complete the Balrog’s Bounce jumping puzzle in Moria, complete Sharky’s Shuffle in Isengard, learn the Misty Mountain Hop while blind-folded, dig 500,000 taters and 250,000 carrots and slaughter 100,000 rabbits for the Gift of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, mine and refine 9,000,000 chunks of mithril silver, and then defeat the Risen Smaug to get the kitten thing and then it would be soulbound on use.

Lol, this really has been “the laugh of the day” Thank you

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Or he could have just purchased it from the Gem Store, and then taken it to Mount Doom to destroy. Either way, after it was over, he’s left with nothing… that is until an expansion comes along, and a new Hero quest is made.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

Have you see the movie RAMBO/First Blood ? My point is in rambo there is a part where he talk about how he was a war Hero but when the was over he became a nobody.

Amadan.9451

on a side note, of all lord of the ring characters, frodo was the only one to never be an hero, only the escape goat/martyr

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

i think you had a different ending to my story. At the end of my story I was crowned the new King of Tyria and given a brand new zone to advance in. I’m now level 100 and I ride dragons all over my new zone.

Most stories only have one hero, I guess Anet chose me to be that hero.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Where’s my "Go die in a fire .gif when i need it? lol

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |