Frozen Maw

Frozen Maw

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: elfycara.1572

elfycara.1572

Sorry if there’s already a topic on this but I couldn’t find anything when I searched.

It seems since the megaserver was rolled out the way this event works has changed. Now when the event to destroy the dragon totem succeeds the world boss doesn’t spawn. The majority of players don’t seem to be aware of this so everytime I’ve tried to do this world boss it never spawns.

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be this way or if this has just been a bug. If it is supposed to be this way then perhaps some kind of announcement so players know it has changed.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

The following low-level-zone world bosses will activate at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour in this rotation:
Great Jungle Wurm (Caledon Forest)
Shadow Behemoth (Queensdale)
Svanir Shaman Chief (Wayfarer Foothills)
Fire Elemental (Metrica Province)

Svanir Shaman Chief
Once the boss is activated, a message will appear in the meta-event UI indicating that a powerful Sons of Svanir Shaman has been spotted in the Maw. If the event chain that involves protecting Scholar Brogun as he investigates the grawl tribe is not active at this time, it will begin immediately.
Scholar Brogun will only wait five minutes for player assistance, instead of forever.
If Scholar Brogun dies and is not resurrected by a player for a total of five minutes, the event chain will fail.
If the event to destroy the dragon totem has succeeded when the boss is not activated, Scholar Brogun will declare victory and return to Krennak’s homestead without fighting the shaman.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Can you precise what should be done for it to spawn then? Would help anyone reading this thread and therefore promote knowledge regarding this boss in game.

Snow Crows [SC]

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

The boss only spawns when it’s the scheduled time for him to spawn. All the rest of the time, when the boss isn’t ‘due’ because it’s not its scheduled time, the totem event (and Scholar Brogun, and all the other events that used to be pres) does nothing.

Is that confusing? Yes, very. Looks like we’re stuck with it for now though.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Can you precise what should be done for it to spawn then? Would help anyone reading this thread and therefore promote knowledge regarding this boss in game.

There’s nothing you can do to make him spawn any more. He’s on a specific timetable now, instead of being activated by pre-events.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

Sorry if there’s already a topic on this but I couldn’t find anything when I searched.

It seems since the megaserver was rolled out the way this event works has changed. Now when the event to destroy the dragon totem succeeds the world boss doesn’t spawn. The majority of players don’t seem to be aware of this so everytime I’ve tried to do this world boss it never spawns.

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be this way or if this has just been a bug. If it is supposed to be this way then perhaps some kind of announcement so players know it has changed.

The four low-level bosses now spawn every two hours on a 30 minute rotation at 15 and 45 minutes after the hour. Right now it is Shadow Behemoth at 10:45, then the Svanir Shaman at 11:15, then Fire Elemental at 11:45, then Jungle Worm at 12:15, and then the cycle starts over with Shadow Behemoth again at 12:45.

However, the Frozen Maw pre-even chain runs even when it isn’t the Svanir Shaman’s turn to spawn. At those times the event chain ends with the destruction of the totem. As far as I can tell, the pre-events start every half hour, but the Shaman only shows up every fourth time. Confusing, I know, but that is how it works right now.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

As above, it’s really simple.

What you do is, you do the pre-event, and if the Boss’ event is due to start given the schedule, he will spawn. If he is on cooldown, he doesn’t spawn, despite the pre-event being done.

So before deciding if you want to do a Boss, follow this handy checklist:

• Stop playing.
  • Consult the schedule.
  • Work out, by the schedule, if the boss is due to be on cooldown. You’ll probably need a chart (seriously) from a 3rd Party website.
  • If the boss is on cooldown, he is unavailable, and the pre-event is just a tantalising reminder of a system that, while flawed, worked better than this one.
  • If the boss is not on cooldown, proceed with pre-event.
  • Wonder why this ridiculous system exists.

Frozen Maw

DavidH.7380

What you do is, you do the pre-event, and if the Boss’ event is due to start given the schedule, he will spawn. If he is on cooldown, he doesn’t spawn, despite the pre-event being done.

• Stop playing.
  • Consult the schedule.
  • Work out, by the schedule, if the boss is due to be on cooldown. You’ll probably need a chart (seriously) from a 3rd Party website.
  • If the boss is on cooldown, he is unavailable, and the pre-event is just a tantalising reminder of a system that, while flawed, worked better than this one.

You missed one:

• Wonder how Anet didn’t think to include the schedule in the game client itself so we don’t have to tab out to websites to check it.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: elfycara.1572

elfycara.1572

Alright then, I guess the times I’ve tried to do it must have been outside the schedule, I didn’t pay too much attention to what time it was since I just happened to be in the area when the pre-events started.

Kind of confusing if the pre-event still runs as normal but oh well.

I might print out the schedule and stick it on my wall so I can be sure next time

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Someone pointed this out in another thread. If you don’t know the schedule by heart the flavor text when Brogun goes to investigate has a line under his health bar in the event window that says the svanir shaman had been spotted in the area.

If it doesn’t have that line then it’s a faux maw and is just an event. Also maw events are scheduled to go off at 15 after the hour.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

• Wonder how Anet didn’t think to include the schedule in the game client itself so we don’t have to tab out to websites to check it.

Having seen the mess that is the new Wardrobe and Equipment screens, I think it’s safe to say that they don’t have anyone available to do the more demanding UI work such an update would take.

Everyone that knows me knows I think very highly of CoH and dearly wish it was back, but even they had this problem. They put in some important new options, but lacked the time and correct manpower to make them part of the UI. Instead, they (re)created a specific NPC that everyone had to visit to adjust those settings.

It seems odd to me, but apparently UI work on these things can be a major pain. I can’t really fault them for not having that part ready, especially considering the state of the rest of the update.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

• Stop playing.
  • Consult the schedule.

hehe, so true.

This is just one of the many terrible things from this patch.

I’m not sure but would a noobie even know his name (to look him up) without seeing him? (ie does him name show up in the pre-quests).

This is sooo messed up, when I was a noobie I wouldn’t have known that the mini-story (event) was incomplete, so I would have just moved on, maybe never to come back. When you’re new you don’t know much about the missions, you see an event starting and you just about cling on, killing things and smiling when it enters a new unexpected quest. But now newbies are meant to check before or mid quest whether this leads onto a boss that they might not be able to do anyway… better write that quest name and area down on a piece of paper so you can come back at the right time (if you can be bothered) to kill the boss and see the proper ending to that event… talk about killing a good quest

I’ve got a lvl 80 and a few alts, on my lvl 80, I haven’t done all area’s so when I do even I’m not gonna know if an event is going to lead onto a boss unless I stop playing, and trawl through some website checking all the events (thereby finding spoilers) in that area. Do I want to have to do that? No! I want to ‘Play how I want to play’, to enjoy playing and not have to have a diploma on GW2 event timings.

Frozen Maw

DavidH.7380

Having seen the mess that is the new Wardrobe and Equipment screens, I think it’s safe to say that they don’t have anyone available to do the more demanding UI work such an update would take.
….
It seems odd to me, but apparently UI work on these things can be a major pain. I can’t really fault them for not having that part ready, especially considering the state of the rest of the update.

As someone who programs a little, it shouldn’t take much work at all. Take an existing UI window that already has tabs in it, add a new tab for bosses, and fill that tab with some text listing the bosses that are due to spawn soon and their times. Done.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

While I think it’s a little strange that Scholar Brogan does his event chain outside of the every-two-hours schedule, I also think it’s only really confusing for people who are used to it leading into the boss fight every time.

Additionally, as much as I like running the World Boss circuit, I don’t think an in-game schedule is necessary. If you’re in the area long enough you might run into it or at least hear about it (Maw is every two hours, after all,) and if you run into a area notice that “The Swamp is Quiet” or whatever, all you have to do is ask someone, or look it up online. If you’re just exploring the world, you may or may not run into a world boss, and if you do, it’s kinda a big deal— I know it was for me the first time I saw the Great Jungle Wurm, or the Shadow Behemoth, before I knew the rules behind it.

Tastes will vary, and there may be exceptions (Clockwork Invasions had a good worldwide notice,) but I think the new schedule, and its level of explanation, is fine. If you’re worried about hitting every boss that happens while you’re on, look up a schedule, but if boss events are still a mystery to you, I’m not sure there’s a need to rush the magic out of it. For some things, the game self-documenting itself makes sense, but I’ve seen enough complaints that events are on a loop or that the world doesn’t feel surprising enough to think that looking up boss timetables is something that’s better outside the game.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

It is just stupid that anyone could design the the pre-events to run without allowing the boss to spawn.—my goodness, just how lame is that.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It is just stupid that anyone could design the the pre-events to run without allowing the boss to spawn.—my goodness, just how lame is that.

Small correction. There was no redesign of the pre-events, hence the lameness comes not from poor design but from cost-saving. Why spend resources to cull or redesign the pre-events when you can just slap a timer on the boss?

I don’t have to wonder too hard about that one. Why spend programmer time on something when fans will do it for you for free?

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I have been mucking around up in Wayfarer Foothills for the last few days doing a number of things. I had heard about the spawning issues but had paid no real attention to the details. I was, therefore, not really surprised when Brogan did his thing and then went back to the house to think about it a bit. This morning, I looked at the actual boss spawn schedule and the wording and it all made sense to me. If you do the chain outside the spawn time…you just get some coin and karma…and some events if you happen to need them for the dailies. When I did it during spawn time, it worked exactly as it always has.

So, I guess for me, I don’t have a problem with it. Just means more events are available. I guess for those that have no idea when the shaman is supposed to spawn, it will be frustrating and confusing but I suspect…if nothing changes, folks will just get used to it.

Frozen Maw

DavidH.7380

Small correction. There was no redesign of the pre-events, hence the lameness comes not from poor design but from cost-saving. Why spend resources to cull or redesign the pre-events when you can just slap a timer on the boss?

Well, perhaps so your client base doesn’t run the event thinking the boss is going to show, think something is broken when it doesn’t and become unhappy and confused when it doesn’t require any more effort or cost to make the pre-events spawn every two hours instead of every hour like they did.

I don’t have to wonder too hard about that one. Why spend programmer time on something when fans will do it for you for free?

Again, perhaps because it would take virtually no added effort or expense to do it, but it would prevent the customers from breaking out of game immersion to consult schedule websites after every boss. Assuming that Anet is interested in having people actually play the game, tabbing out constantly isn’t a good thing.

Frozen Maw

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Meh, it’s not a big deal. Brogan’s walk is now like retaking Falias Thorpe. You can’t get the boss without doing it, but doing it won’t always get you the boss. We just have to stop assuming that Brogan being up means the Maw is up, (which everyone in this thread seems to know).

I should be writing.