Frustrated with the Lack of Communication

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Plyte.8130

Plyte.8130

I’ll start this off by saying I main an engineer and my elementalist is my main alt.

A week ago Friday, I made a post on these forums after the announcement of ascended weapons. I made the post with concerns about kit and conjured weapon damage not scaling with ascended weapons and pleaded that they should. Fast forward to Tuesday, patch rolls around and the damage was upgraded.

Then the following night, ANET puts out a patch that removed the ascended weapon bonus. I’m incredibly frustrated for 2 reasons. Having a Meteorlogicus on my Ele, I lost a huge chunk of damage during my LH burst. I don’t run a LH-centric build but instead a fury+might stacking build. I also lost any motivation to build an ascended weapon on my engineer. Engineers main source of damage is from kits so crafting an ascended weapon only gives me 4 power and 3 precision. That’s it. With current T7 mat cost, I’m paying close to 60g for only 4 power and 3 precision.

What frustrates me about this is that there has been 0 communication on why they made this change and the spin put on those patch notes to make it look like a bug. If it was a sPvP issue, just say its temporarily adjusted until that’s fixed. Or if the underlying system needs adjustment, just say it.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I think you’re giving them too much credit.

Unless you’re a warrior, guardian, or mesmer they simply do not care.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

What frustrates me about this is that there has been 0 communication on why they made this change and the spin put on those patch notes to make it look like a bug.

Ok so most of your post was a bit complainy. But I will agree that ANet hasn’t been very communicative, well technically since the game launched. Anet could probably prevent a lot of posts like this with a weekly blog post. And not a marketing post either, simply one of the devs sitting down and telling us what they’re considering, why they did what they did etc.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Although I too wish they explained things more, I disagree with the other point you’re making.

Why should Eles and Engies get ascended level damage for free, when all other classes have to get an ascended weapon to do that damage? I thought people wanted Anet to make Engie’s weapons more desirable so they weren’t forced to use packs. Your idea would increase the imbalance.

| Lithia |

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I think you’re giving them too much credit.

Unless you’re a warrior, guardian, or mesmer they simply do not care.

And why is that?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Let me just try that without an infraction; I too get very frustrated with the lack of communication. There was a thread in sPvP forum about it recently, but I did not get the feel that anyone at Anet understands how much a “we will look into this” or even “While we hear what you’re saying we won’t do anything about it right now” or EVEN “For now we will keep monitoring this” – Actually can do.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Yep me, too. I’ve learned that if you want to tell ArenaNet something about Guild Wars 2, you can’t do it on the official Guild Wars 2 forums.

Well, OK, if it’s extremely positive, they might comment. Not as many of those sorts of threads out there, though. Can’t imagine why.

Plyte.8130

Although I too wish they explained things more, I disagree with the other point you’re making.

Why should Eles and Engies get ascended level damage for free, when all other classes have to get an ascended weapon to do that damage? I thought people wanted Anet to make Engie’s weapons more desirable so they weren’t forced to use packs. Your idea would increase the imbalance.

I have a Meteorlogicus on my ele. Why should I lose 5% damage on my Lightning Hammer because someone else doesn’t have a legendary?

I could say the same thing if I had a legendary on my engineer, but that’d just be stupid because I just wear the hobo sack 90% of the time.

Engineer weapons are simply not designed to be strong and their balance patch from June shows that they still don’t have a clue. For example, they changed Scope in the tools traitline to gain 10% crit chance when further than 600 range. You think it’d be good on a rifle, but its near useless. All the rifle skills except for net shot (0 damage) and the auto attack (which is weak) are melee range. The irony is that scope is near useless with rifle and only really works with…. grenades.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Anet barely communicates unfortunately.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Plyte.8130

They are still spinning it or simply do not understand what happened.

They changed kit/conjured weapon damage to scale with the highest available weapon months ago. Then they release a new tier of weapons which it scales to like its supposed to. Then they turn around and call that scaling a bug… Yeah keep spinning.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

They changed kit/conjured weapon damage to scale with the highest available weapon months ago. Then they release a new tier of weapons which it scales to like its supposed to. Then they turn around and call that scaling a bug… Yeah keep spinning.

So then it was a bug. The damage boost was unintended and now they fixed it. Are you just creating steam here because you don’t like an unfair damage boost getting fixed?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Plyte.8130

So then it was a bug. The damage boost was unintended and now they fixed it. Are you just creating steam here because you don’t like an unfair damage boost getting fixed?

Its not a bug though. The system worked exactly as it was supposed to. It was an adjustment.

Its like saying “Fixed a bug to reduce the timer on the Shank Anchorage event.” There was no bug in that event, it just needed adjustment, and throwing the word bug in there is just a way to spin it.

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

Seems the communication with a-net is limited to the spvp part of the forum.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Lol, no. It’s kind of bad all around. In fact there was an incident with spam last week on the sPvP forums caused by the lack of transparency. That part of the forums is getting more responses but it’s the same apologetic PR vagaries they were getting before communication stopped in the first place.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

Lol, no. It’s kind of bad all around. In fact there was an incident with spam that was by the lack of transparency in the sPvP forums last week. That part of the forums is getting more responses but it’s the same apologetic PR vagaries they were getting before communication stopped in the first place.

Yeh you are right about that one. At least there is some evidence that they read the pvp section though (or skim through maybe ^^)
I don’t see them posting much anywhere else.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

What frustrates me about this is that there has been 0 communication on why they made this change and the spin put on those patch notes to make it look like a bug.

Ok so most of your post was a bit complainy. But I will agree that ANet hasn’t been very communicative, well technically since the game launched. Anet could probably prevent a lot of posts like this with a weekly blog post. And not a marketing post either, simply one of the devs sitting down and telling us what they’re considering, why they did what they did etc.

One of the best suggestions in a long time, and yet another one to add to the long list of great suggestions that will get ignored by Anet.
All they care about is their LS content now, everything else is just “when we have time” which they rarely do because of the insane amount of work going into the LS content (as evidenced by how rushed feeling and buggy it can be when they implement it).

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I have a Meteorlogicus on my ele. Why should I lose 5% damage on my Lightning Hammer because someone else doesn’t have a legendary?

Well, you paid good time and money for that Legendary, so they should implement a way in which you get a boost to your weapon summons.
But the point I was making was that you shouldn’t get that boost if you don’t have an Ascended level item equipped, because that’s unfair to other classes.

Perhaps I misunderstood the point you were making in your OP.

| Lithia |

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It’s only a bug if the poster can’t benefit from it. If it’s bad/irrelevant for the poster then it’s a bug and needs to be fixed immediately. If the poster gains an advantage from it then it’s working as intended.

This means that the same effect can be both a bug and a feature at the same time.

Posted by: Irrodesia.3907

Irrodesia.3907

I could say the same thing if I had a legendary on my engineer, but that’d just be stupid because I just wear the hobo sack 90% of the time.

Engineer weapons are simply not designed to be strong and their balance patch from June shows that they still don’t have a clue. For example, they changed Scope in the tools traitline to gain 10% crit chance when further than 600 range. You think it’d be good on a rifle, but its near useless. All the rifle skills except for net shot (0 damage) and the auto attack (which is weak) are melee range. The irony is that scope is near useless with rifle and only really works with…. grenades.

Just because you have a Legendary weapon, doesn’t mean you get a free 5% damage.

A Legendary weapon doesn’t entitle you to 5%, 10%, 20% or any % extra damage. Your Legendary weapon is for cosmetic looks and bragging rights only.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

There has been no communcation about these issues because they don’t plan to spend the resources on such a small percentage of the game population.

See there recent comments concerning Charr armor (during PAX coverage) for an intimate look into their mentality.

Charrs are 13% of the population and don’t warrant any resources to fix their issue, so engineers and their small 10% of the population surely won’t warrant any type of attention.

Mad Rasputin.7809

Just because you have a Legendary weapon, doesn’t mean you get a free 5% damage.

A Legendary weapon doesn’t entitle you to 5%, 10%, 20% or any % extra damage. Your Legendary weapon is for cosmetic looks and bragging rights only.

A legendary entitles him to ascended level stats.

Engineers and elementalists with legendary or ascended weapons should get the benefit of the additional stats.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Engi rifle actually does high damage tied with static discharge and rifle and rocket turret toolbelt skills.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Engineers and elementalists with legendary or ascended weapons should get the benefit of the additional stats.

Isn’t Legendary/Ascended stat levels meant only for the Legendary weapon itself? Otherwise, wouldn’t be unfair for people to have multiple weapons being upgraded because of the ownership of a stronger one?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Isn’t Legendary/Ascended stat levels meant only for the Legendary weapon itself? Otherwise, wouldn’t be unfair for people to have multiple weapons being upgraded because of the ownership of a stronger one?

The general idea is that kit/conjured damage should be the same as the currently equipped weapon. Since Engineers and Elementalists cannot swap weapons, but can use abilities to overlay their current weapon with a new one, that new weapon should be rare/exotic/ascended according to the stats of the weapon it replaces.

Anet seems to want this because they didn’t accidentally program the special weapons to do better than base damage. The problem was that what they did program was bugged – it always gave 80-level toons ascended level damage even if they didn’t have an ascended weapon.

Now, I’ve played those toons, and my engineer carries a rifle with a Sigil of Corruption. When I switch to a flamethrower the kills still trigger the sigil as though the flamethrower had it. It would be pointless to use the weapon kits if they just did “vanilla” weapon type damage and had no bonus from using an exotic berserker weapon with a Sigil of Corruption or something. Likewise, if an Ele or Engi player goes through all the work to create a Legendary weapon, those stats should carry over to the ability-based weapons too.

That said, they won’t get anywhere by complaining about it. Anet disabled this because they already realized that their attempt to match the stats didn’t work correctly. Once they fix the bug it will return, and yelling about it on the forums won’t make this happen any faster.

Plyte.8130

The general idea is that kit/conjured damage should be the same as the currently equipped weapon. Since Engineers and Elementalists cannot swap weapons, but can use abilities to overlay their current weapon with a new one, that new weapon should be rare/exotic/ascended according to the stats of the weapon it replaces.

Anet seems to want this because they didn’t accidentally program the special weapons to do better than base damage. The problem was that what they did program was bugged – it always gave 80-level toons ascended level damage even if they didn’t have an ascended weapon.

It wasn’t bugged. Earlier this year there were concerns about engineers getting stuck using rifles only for kits since their base damage is about 10% higher than pistols. So ANET put out that kit damage wouldn’t be affected by the weapon damage of your main hand weapon but instead will scale off the highest available 1h weapon. That was exotic pistols until this recent patch when it got upped. It did exactly what was intended.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I quinteenth on this lack of communication…. don’t tell me that isn’t a word. I know.

Another rather big thing that irritates me is that the patch notes aren’t complete. When they release the patch notes, they leave out a ton of things, like enemy buffs or random skill/trait nerfs. I usually have to find out through player help threads or the class forums that a class mechanic was nerfed somehow.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

^that isn’t a word.
Anet communication works like this

Random Dev stumbles on an interesting thread. He then realizes that what the OP is saying is actually logical unlike what his company likes to do. However, he knows if he posts something he will be fired. So instead he goes to a dev with a little more reputation who then comes up with a response that is neither positive nor negative. Then he sends it to PR and the marketing guys chew it up and spit out a bunch of garbage which doesnt say anything about anything.

Very few devs respond and most who do say nothing. CJ sometimes says stuff but its still more like “we’re looking into it” rather than “good idea we’ll get on that right now” He also doesnt chat with ppl on the forum. Only person who did that was Hrouda and look where he ended up

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

:

Why shouldn’t conjured weapons or kits, which replace the equipped weapon for a period of time, scale with the currently equipped weapon whether its blue green, yellow, orange red or purple?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

It’s more of a generel thing. How would you rate the communication of this one, after they found the bug? https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Tournament-chests-and-transferring-between-server-regions/page/3#post2779569 Been there since start, no fix, still no eta, no updates as of the last 8 months.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

It’s more of a generel thing. How would you rate the communication of this one, after they found the bug? https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Tournament-chests-and-transferring-between-server-regions/page/3#post2779569 Been there since start, no fix, still no eta, no updates as of the last 8 months.

Definitely a communication problem, but in this case, I think the lack of communication is symptomatic of a larger, overall, management and organizational problem. I’m not sure that they know how to prioritize or learn from mistakes as an organization. As individual sections, yes, but as a whole, not so much. Moreover, it’s really obvious that much of the time, the left and right hands are each unaware of what the other is doing.

Mad Rasputin.7809

“The Engineer is a highly versatile class. While it doesn’t have the long range capabilities of the Ranger, or the melee capabilities of the Warrior or Guardian, they are comfortable at medium ranges in most fights. They have a lot of control, and use their boons to keep themselves (and allies) alive in a fight. They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons.

Engies, in particular, are already taxed damage wise on their weapons because of kits. Engie and kits are a special case and different from another toon with two weapon sets.

Damage from our main weapons is already lessened. No reason to impose another tax on kits and not have them scale properly.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’ll start this off by saying I main an engineer and my elementalist is my main alt.

A week ago Friday, I made a post on these forums after the announcement of ascended weapons. I made the post with concerns about kit and conjured weapon damage not scaling with ascended weapons and pleaded that they should. Fast forward to Tuesday, patch rolls around and the damage was upgraded.

Then the following night, ANET puts out a patch that removed the ascended weapon bonus. I’m incredibly frustrated for 2 reasons. Having a Meteorlogicus on my Ele, I lost a huge chunk of damage during my LH burst. I don’t run a LH-centric build but instead a fury+might stacking build. I also lost any motivation to build an ascended weapon on my engineer. Engineers main source of damage is from kits so crafting an ascended weapon only gives me 4 power and 3 precision. That’s it. With current T7 mat cost, I’m paying close to 60g for only 4 power and 3 precision.

What frustrates me about this is that there has been 0 communication on why they made this change and the spin put on those patch notes to make it look like a bug. If it was a sPvP issue, just say its temporarily adjusted until that’s fixed. Or if the underlying system needs adjustment, just say it.

How did you lose anything? I’m confused. If everything stayed the same then in fact you didn’t lose anything..?

And they’ve communicated about the ascended stuff off and on for the last year. Maybe you haven’t played since then but that doesn’t change the fact that they did so it was still on you to do research about it.

fellyn.5083

For the sake of repetition..how are losing something if nothing is changed?

At worst it’s the same as it was before ascended.

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

Because legendaries were upgraded to ascended level, and with weapons kits and conjured weapons (ie Lighhtning Hammer) not scaling to ascended damage but exotic, he is losing damage in the sense that yes it still does the same amount of damage as before but it shouldn’t, it should be scaling to the damage of his equiped weapon (so ascended damage). At least that’s what I understood.

fellyn.5083

Because legendaries were upgraded to ascended level, and with weapons kits and conjured weapons (ie Lighhtning Hammer) not scaling to ascended damage but exotic, he is losing damage in the sense that yes it still does the same amount of damage as before but it shouldn’t, it should be scaling to the damage of his equiped weapon (so ascended damage). At least that’s what I understood.

Yeah but in no way is he losing something. Losing implies something is taken away. But nothing is. It’s staying the same as it was and has been for the last year.

Though I do agree that it should scale to the weapon you have equiped. But he’s using the word “losing” to make it seem like anet is trying to slight him in some way and that’s simply not the case.

They aren’t doing it to intentionally sabotage people who have ascended or legendary weapons.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I played Rift for about 18 months, and while I left that game for GW2 because I thought it would have much better WvW-style play (silly me), I will say that the devs in Rift were very communicative and headed off a lot of the confusion and frustration that exists here in GW2. The Rift forums had all sorts of timely posts from the devs acknowledging problems, explaining them clearly, describing fixes and probable time frames for them, or sometimes admitting that they simply couldn’t do anything about them for one reason or other. Rift has had lots of cutbacks and had to switch to F2P, but even so their forums still have WAAYYYY more open dialogue with the remaining devs than ANet ever has had.

The communication problem with GW2 isn’t resources … it’s cluelessness.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]