"Full" Home World: Clarify the clarification

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ethawn Fanar.3871

Ethawn Fanar.3871

At the risk of being torn apart for asking this, could we get a clarification on the statement made yesterday in regards to what a “Full” Home World actually means?

Specifically, is the status of “Full” a reflection of the number of actively logged in players at any given moment, or is it determined by the number of accounts in total that are associated with a given Home World?

A lot of people believe that it is simply a reflection of the population currently logged in, but I have been watching the status of the servers and I don’t see them dip at all, which seems extremely unlikely (albeit entirely plausible depending on how tolerances are set currently).

It seems more likely that the momentary status changes that do occur are due to server transfers taking effect and causing the total number of accounts associated with a Home Server to drop below the “Full” threshold.

If indeed the status is tied to total number of accounts associated with a given Home World, how quickly does a round of Bot Banning actually translate into a reduction in that associated number so that additional players can join a previously “Full” Home World?

I don’t know that I see much impact of a given Bot Banning wave in regards to the status of a Home World, which is really odd. Obviously I may not be catching it in the millisecond that the status goes from “Full” to “Heavy” and then back to “Full” due to mass migration.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Remember that once you have selected a home world you don’t ever have to queue for it, you can play any time and go to overflow if too many are in a specific area.

This means that the number of people actually on the world could be way over whatever limit they set for creating new accounts. Even if you have 100s of people logging out at once it still may not affect the full status.

It’s tricky getting into a full server, but if you keep checking frequently, particularly during off-peak hours or right after a patch you can get in.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

I’m pretty sure mod’s already answered to this one, and it indeed does mean how many players are actually logged in, not the overall amount of accounts created.

Now if i weren’t so lazy i’d pick up the link from somewhere, but maybe some other kind soul will do that.

Posted by: Ethawn Fanar.3871

Ethawn Fanar.3871

I’m pretty sure mod’s already answered to this one, and it indeed does mean how many players are actually logged in, not the overall amount of accounts created.

Now if i weren’t so lazy i’d pick up the link from somewhere, but maybe some other kind soul will do that.

I saw the response yesterday, and was going through the associated Reddit thread that was discussing it. The assessment of the response was a mixed bag, I tend to lean more toward the group that found the response a little too open for interpretation. Mind you, I could just be prone to making things difficult.

The only reason I ask is because this “Refer A Friend” business has me pretty directly involved in trying to coordinate with some folks, and I have been watching the server status like a hawk at every chance (even from work).

I am not seeing ANY fluctuations in the server status at all. As in ZERO. Every MMO I have ever played whose server status was a reflection of actively logged in players, will show a very clear “peak” and “non-peak” fluctuation in the status.

It isn’t so much that I actively dispute the players that view that status of being actively playing population, but I am having a hard time completely and totally reconciling the utter lack of peak / non-peak fluctuations.

Obviously I am just trying to figure out how I am going to handle the upcoming weekend if I can’t group with the friends coming to check out the game.

Knowing what is going on with the server status doesn’t exactly solve anything, but it at least allows me to approach this whole thing with more of the facts.