Full Map Indicator

Full Map Indicator

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mike.6285

Mike.6285

Excuse me if this has been discussed in the past, but I was wondering why there’s a way of knowing if the map you are in is full or not. I’m often in SW and as most of you who frequent this zone know, allot of taxiing takes place once the events reach a certain percentage of completion. Many players are asking if the map is full and the only way to know is to attempt to taxi more in and hope that someone who’s denied access advises you of the map being full. As someone who’s been on both ends of that failed taxi, I’d prefer to avoid it. I’m annoyed that I can’t join and I feel bad when I’ve done that to others. As you know, after just a few failed attempts to join a map, you are blocked from joining another one for a period of time. I know I’ve opened the game and tried to join a party that was listing say 75% and been denied, so I try the next that says perhaps 80% and been denied. Now I’m locked for a bit. This lock could block me from joining another map at say 50%. If those who advertise knew that their map was at 90 of a possible 100 players. Rather than mass spamming for more people, a coordinated request or 2 would be done. If the map was at full capacity, then there would be no need to spam for more.

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

there is several ways of knowing if map is full that i have seen! basic 1 is lfg for the map that is the biggest. another way telling if map is full is that people in your party show up but they in another map?! it has happened to me a couple times! i love silver waste an can not wait until they open more doors lol!

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

An indicator would be nice, sure.
But you’ll want to be careful, using LFG to taxi people is technically against the rules.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

But you’ll want to be careful, using LFG to taxi people is technically against the rules.

If anet started banning people for doing that the game would die. Anet makes everything a numbers game, they have no right to complain when people play a numbers game.

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’m not sure if map fullness/population is as simple as it having spaces available, soft cap and hard cap.

A lot of players have mentioned “bottle necking” or some sort of algorithm that puts the cap in place dependant of how many people are entering the map. So that could mean that a popular map appears to be full before it actually is.

I’m not sure if the theory is true or not, or even if we need to put on our tin foil hats… but I just thought it would be worth mentioning if anybody else has any information about it.

Full Map Indicator

Mike.6285

Isn’t the whole point of the LFG tool to allow players to connect into the same instance? I read the WIKI: <a href=“https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taxi”>Guild Wars Wiki</a>! and there’s no mention of this being a bad/banned practice. I could be wrong…

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

What? No, it isn’t.

Full Map Indicator

ScribeTheMad.7614

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Policy-on-the-LFG-Tool/first

It is not for getting players into the same map.
It is for the formation of a group. They spell that out explicitly.

So if you advertise an event (SW, Teq, whatever) and people join you and stay in your group you are fine.
However, most Taxis specifically instruct people to join and leave.
Thus you are not using it to form a group. Strike one.
You are using it to advertise an access portal, which they explicitly say is not allowed in a post further down. Strike two.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Policy-on-the-LFG-Tool/4771535

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

Full Map Indicator

Dinks.2478

So if you advertise an event (SW, Teq, whatever) and people join you and stay in your group you are fine.
You are using it to advertise an access portal, which they explicitly say is not allowed in a post further down. Strike two.

All I’m reading is “I hate fun, don’t have fun, wah wah Q.Q”

Full Map Indicator

ScribeTheMad.7614

All I’m reading is “I hate fun, don’t have fun, wah wah Q.Q”

I didn’t say I agreed with it.
But the rules are the rules.

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

I think Anet needs to clarify this. More often than not, its the only way to organize
large groups for the more difficult world bosses, specifically triple trouble.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Full Map Indicator

Dinks.2478

I think Anet needs to clarify this. More often than not, its the only way to organize
large groups for the more difficult world bosses, specifically triple trouble.

They’ve already acknowledge that they don’t care if people use LFG to sell paths, so if they don’t care about that but care about taxiing people into the maps I’d be not only surprised but incredibly confused. Ignore that other guy, he has no clue what he is going on about.

Full Map Indicator

Mike.6285

Scribe, you must be in law or studying law The post you linked can certainly be interpreted this way. Although the ‘portal’ in question was not quite the same. But an event taxi can be considered as a form of portal. I do have to admit that I’m guilty of the ‘join & leave’ practice in SW.

One could argue that large scale events do require a certain level of participation and thus a taxi for that ‘legitimate’ need could be a grey area of acceptable! But would it warrant support from Anet in the form of my original request?

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

yea, i agree. Letter of the Law is not clear here. If you go by the rules, then the only way you could ever defeat TT or TEQ would to be in a guild run… seems counter productive to the system, which may be why you have never heard of anyone getting banned for taxiing people. It would mean a constant failure at any non guild organized VW event as well. For this reason, I think it needs to be revisited and corrected. It would be asinine to try to accomplish any of those without some way to draw people into the area. And as far as I know, there is only one way to do that other then by guild run, and thats the LFG system.

Full Map Indicator

ScribeTheMad.7614

They said selling dungeon paths is fine, but also said using LFG to bring people into home instances is not, even for free.
I believe the logic is that selling a dungeon path is acceptable because you are forming a group to do a normal activity (i.e. finishing a dungeon).
While the home instance isn’t “doing an activity together” and thus falls under the “access portal” rule.
Which is why I pointed out that as long as taxi’d players are sticking to that group for the event it doesn’t violate anything.
It’s the ones where you taxi in and leave that technically breaks the access portal rule.

I think this is an asinine distinction, don’t get me wrong. What they’re basically doing is saying these two things are against the rules, and we’ll punish anyone doing the first one, but we actually think the second is okay so we let it slide.
It sets up a situation in which we don’t know which parts of what rules are actual rules we need to stick to, and which ones are safe to ignore (really, its a bad idea in general to set up rules and then tell your players its okay to ignore some), it’s confusing.

I do think they should spell that out better, but the last thread asking for clarification was deleted outright.

Not to get too far off the OPs point, I think a map population indicator would be a fabulous QoL improvement.

Full Map Indicator

Dinks.2478

What would also be nice is if you try to join into a full map you can join a queue for that map. So many time my guild will be doing a Triple trouble wurm kill with other guilds and one or two guildies get locked out and they get carpal tunnel trying to spam the join button to get in.

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

actually, getting players into same map for something like Teq could be seen as forming a big group, a huge map group

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Full Map Indicator

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Scribe, you must be in law or studying law The post you linked can certainly be interpreted this way. Although the ‘portal’ in question was not quite the same. But an event taxi can be considered as a form of portal. I do have to admit that I’m guilty of the ‘join & leave’ practice in SW.

One could argue that large scale events do require a certain level of participation and thus a taxi for that ‘legitimate’ need could be a grey area of acceptable! But would it warrant support from Anet in the form of my original request?

One way I have seen taxis used is getting ready for a temple assault in Orr. Unless you have something like the Rally waypoint you had better hope you caught the event train there as annoyingly there is only one viable path from Ft Trinity (well, swimming, but I count that as a last resort) to getting there in a hurry and it involves a door that is not always open.