Full map closing?

Full map closing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nana.9512

Nana.9512

So, I was just waiting for the meta event in tangled depths to begin, had a map with 4 commanders and enough people to do the events. However, about 1 min before the event started, the map suddenly closed and everybody was scattered around on different maps, squads were disbanding… Well, no chak gerent for me this time (and probably 80 other players).
The map was full, so why did it close? I also didn’t see any timer, that would say, the map will close soon, but I might just not have noticed it.

Full map closing?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

As I understand it (and I may be wrong), once the server decides to close a map, it’s going to close in 1 hour. It’s not supposed to automatically move people to that map any more, but if some taxi in, they don’t see the warning.

It sounds like the map was already marked for closure when the groups started to form and getting people onto the map. All the new additions to the map don’t get to see the warning or timer. So, when time was up, all of them were taken by surprise.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Full map closing?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The megaserver doesn’t care, it wants to close down the overflows in favor of filling the main map. That’s the problem with bypassing the megaserver’s logic and taxi’ing.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong), once the server decides to close a map, it’s going to close in 1 hour.

It can abort when the previous map in the chain fills up, but it can also bug and still close when it said it was going to. It’s like they use different population values on when to close a map and when to volunteer. For example, say a map will enter a volunteer state when the previous map is less than 50%, it’ll stop volunteering at 75% and at the designed closure time, it’ll close if less than 80%.