Full servers are rediculous

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: woofie.5603

woofie.5603

Its been weeks and my friend has not been able to get in. Why is this the only MMO where ive encountered this problem?

We cant leave the server because our whole guild is here and we like the server. He wants to WvW with us so going on a different server would be a waste of time. He doesnt want to level up a character he is just going to delete when space opens up. He doesnt want to pay money to transfer into the server he wants to start on.

If anything being done to fix this problem?

This wouldnt be an issue if he could WvW with us.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Why don’t you all just chip in some silver/gold and then pay for his transfer when there’s a space available?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Because their servers are from late 90’s

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Its been weeks and my friend has not been able to get in. Why is this the only MMO where ive encountered this problem?”

You haven’t seen many MMOs then. GW2 has guesting and before that had free server transfers. Server transfers with gems is better than server transfers for real world money. In the older MMOs you joined a server and your characters were stuck there forever essentially. There was no cross server communication in any way at all.

Some people also forget that when WoW was launched you had to join a queue to log on and that could take hours to clear.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

does no one remember how free transfers molested the wvw population of entire servers for months?

pay wall needs to be there to keep the servers relatively stable.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

woofie.5603

“Its been weeks and my friend has not been able to get in. Why is this the only MMO where ive encountered this problem?”

You haven’t seen many MMOs then. GW2 has guesting and before that had free server transfers. Server transfers with gems is better than server transfers for real world money. In the older MMOs you joined a server and your characters were stuck there forever essentially. There was no cross server communication in any way at all.

Some people also forget that when WoW was launched you had to join a queue to log on and that could take hours to clear.

I have played many MMOs. I’m well aware of the queue. We used to wait hours to play with each other but we were able to play with each other. And is that any different than the insane 6 hour queues for WvW? Queues are better than having an impossibility.

GW2 has many many ways that they are better than all those other MMOs. Thats why I play it now instead of Wow and Swtor and Aion and Warhammer and AOC. Guesting is amazing, and so are gem/gold transfers instead of real world money. It doesnt make my grievance invalid.

My friend paid around 40 dollars to not get to play with his friends. And sadly if he doesnt play with us, he doesn’t want to play at all.

woofie.5603

also this is the first game i’ve played where the server can seem completely dead during late hours and still say full

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I already told you, if your guild chips in a bit of money each you can get him in your server when there’s a space.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

No, the problem with the OP is that he doesn’t understand what “full server” means.

A full server means that there are a max number of accounts housed on that particular server. It does not mean how many people are playing online at that moment. So just because certain times of day have less players online, the offline player data is still there. For example, if each server has a maximum of 100,000 player account slots, and it’s full, that means there are 100,000 accounts housed in that data center. Going further, if only 5,000 people are playing online, there are still another 95,000 offline account slots taken up.

If your server is popular, chances are that there are a lot of other players who are willing to pay Gems to transfer over. So now it becomes a game of cat and mouse. If someone just so happens to leave and open up an account slot, it’s first come first served to whoever wants in.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

No, the problem with the OP is that he doesn’t understand what “full server” means.

A full server means that there are a max number of accounts housed on that particular server. It does not mean how many people are playing online at that moment. So just because certain times of day have less players online, the offline player data is still there. For example, if each server has a maximum of 100,000 player account slots, and it’s full, that means there are 100,000 accounts housed in that data center. Going further, if only 5,000 people are playing online, there are still another 95,000 offline account slots taken up.

If your server is popular, chances are that there are a lot of other players who are willing to pay Gems to transfer over. So now it becomes a game of cat and mouse. If someone just so happens to leave and open up an account slot, it’s first come first served to whoever wants in.

I really doubt if that’s the case. My server TC has reached full status quite faster every time server caps were increased, yet people who tried transferring at particular timeslots where the server had a little lower activity, actually made it. And this trend would continue almost everyday for some time. And many servers conduct organized blackouts to allow newer players or guilds to get in. So I think it has more to do with players online rather than the no. of players registered on that server.

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Maybe, at some stage, they could look into a queuing system for people who want to transfer to full servers. Put in your request and when a slot finally comes up you have 24 hours to take advantage of it.

Doesn’t help the OP’s mate now, of course.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I really doubt if that’s the case. My server TC has reached full status quite faster every time server caps were increased, yet people who tried transferring at particular timeslots where the server had a little lower activity, actually made it. And this trend would continue almost everyday for some time. And many servers conduct organized blackouts to allow newer players or guilds to get in. So I think it has more to do with players online rather than the no. of players registered on that server.

No. That would mean that if your SEA population was greater than your NA, and your server was “full”, then that means hundreds, if not thousands of NA players could come over. And what would happen if all your NA logged in at the same time as your SEA? There’s no queue to log into the game.

It’s not about how many players are online. Because there are thousands of slots, chances are a few left to lower tier servers, and the system allowed new people in. This does happen on a daily basis. The other case is when Anet increases the maximum slots for each server, as they’ve done in the past.

Edit – One more thing. I believe Guesting uses up account slots. Not sure about this, but just wanted to throw that out.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)