Fun vs Farm

Fun vs Farm

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

I want to see if people can help me identify all the fun things to do in GW2 as opposed to things that are done just for farming. I’m tired of Skinner boxes; I want to be engaged and have fun. So far I have:

• Dungeons/FOTM (no speedclears, no exploits, no skipping)
  • WvW (especially away from the zerg, ignoring the daily AP checklist)
  • sPVP (for fun, ignoring the daily AP checklist)

Some things can be fun in small doses:

• Jumping puzzles (for fun, not chest running)
  • Mini-games (for fun, not to make AP numbers go up)

And there are things that are fun once (or maybe a couple times) for the novelty factor:

• World exploration/completion
  • Temple/dynamic events
  • Personal story (try all branches)
  • Instanced story portions of Living Story
  • Mini-dungeons
  • Jumping puzzles (as part of exploration)

I would really like to find some more fun things to do since I have long since finished the novelty ones and the main ones are starting to feel stale. Please help!

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

A good guild always comes up with fun and new things to do in the game.

Fun vs Farm

Tasty Pudding.3764

Such as what? Or are you just saying to hang out with friends? “Do random stuff with friends” doesn’t really have anything to do with GW2.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think you pretty well covered it. I find that alts also add a bit of fun, but usually only for a new class for 20 levels or so.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Alts. That is what I do for fun. If I have to stop and break down what I do for fun, I am afraid I will quit playing. Cause when you list it out, it doesn’t sound like all that much. If you log in and play and have fun you’re doing good. If you are having to look for fun, maybe it’s time for something else.

Fun vs Farm

Zavve.8205

Such as what? Or are you just saying to hang out with friends? “Do random stuff with friends” doesn’t really have anything to do with GW2.

Guilds totally have to do with GW2

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Strange as it may seem, I find champ farming in frostgorge a lot of fun. Might have something to do with the scenery. When I just wanna kick back and relax, I join the zerg train for an hour or so. Very soothing, with lots of banter and jokes. And I get rich too!

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Wat. Guilds don’t have anything to do with “Guild Wars 2”? Once you hit level 80, all there is to do is hang out with friends, play mini-games, or do the living story which is just one big, giant mini-game.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I want to see if people can help me identify all the fun things to do in GW2 as opposed to things that are done just for farming. I’m tired of Skinner boxes; I want to be engaged and have fun. So far I have:

And there are things that are fun once (or maybe a couple times) for the novelty factor:

• Temple/dynamic events
  • Mini-dungeons

I would really like to find some more fun things to do since I have long since finished the novelty ones and the main ones are starting to feel stale. Please help!

You pretty much covered all of it, except leveling alts. LS updates may or may not be fun depending on what you like and the content released.

Unfortunately, there’s a finite amount of content, like in all games. And there aren’t many hooks to artificially extend your playtime (but the game seems to be going in that direction) so it is more apparent the in other MMOs.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Fun vs Farm

Tasty Pudding.3764

Which isn’t the point. I’m trying to get ideas, not argue semantics. Do you have some suggestions of what to do, or is it really just hanging out with friends?

Fun vs Farm

Zavve.8205

Which isn’t the point. I’m trying to get ideas, not argue semantics. Do you have some suggestions of what to do, or is it really just hanging out with friends?

-_- just forget it… You are being difficult for no reason.

(edited by Zavve.8205)

Fun vs Farm

Tasty Pudding.3764

You pretty much covered all of it, except leveling alts.

Leveling is farming – making the numbers go up. Playing different professions for a while could fall into the fun novelty category though, sort of like profession exploration. It was fun to try out builds and eventually figure out which build I liked best to play for each profession.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

The only thing missing from your list (or maybe not really) are guild missions, but could be considered an open world variation of the list you’ve provided and with more people (some coordination and a decent number of people is required to get them done):
Guild Trek, Guild Rush, Guild Challenge, Guild Puzzle

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Wait just a minute. You mean that the every-other-week Living Story patches aren’t fun?? I’m shocked … shocked, I tell you.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Aside from normal stuff i prefer to run with guildies (Fotm, dungeons) as well as guild missions, the stuff we do in our guild isnt really much related what the norms of the game itself, but really hanging out with guildies, the nice ones, is fun. its likely why i still keep logging in. We sometimes do trivia questions in guild chat and reward right answers with dyes or even exotics sometimes (answer in guild chat only so as to not put unfair advantage for ppl with teamspeak over the mic-less ppl). We play hide and seek, with one person going to some weird place in a map and the rest try to find him/her based on clues the person would give (“i am near a quaggan!”)

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Farming is fun,but the mini games,WvW and all the million other stuff are fun to but in the end you want to have some hard goals to work at

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Strange as it may seem, I find champ farming in frostgorge a lot of fun. Might have something to do with the scenery. When I just wanna kick back and relax, I join the zerg train for an hour or so. Very soothing, with lots of banter and jokes. And I get rich too!

This is how all the activities in GW2 should be : “It’s fun, and I get to make money too!”

Then people can do w/e they want and there is no “farming”.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Personally, my favorite thing to do is to identify who each of my alts is as a character and build either builds or mix-and-match looks to meet those imaginings.

This hardly ever involves farming per se, as many pieces are quite easy to get. But if you want exotic stats or better, then you might have to do a bit of farming I suppose.

Either way, I find the end result (a goal I set for myself) incredibly rewarding. And sometimes, the looks themselves are commented on by other players. Not often, but every once in a while which reminds you that you have accomplished something that is appreciated but not connected to the “meta.”

But I really don’t get bored of dungeons, but I swap places and paths often. And I almost always PuG them. It’s more fun for me that way (dunno, guess I’m an odd bird?).

(edited by soakman.7539)

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

This is how all the activities in GW2 should be : “It’s fun, and I get to make money too!”

In theory, this is true. However, as long as something is faster (at ALL) in regards to making profit, a certain set of extrinsic-reward-oriented people will clump there and do only that.

Unless you’re farming for a legendary, you can do quite almost anything in this game and over time you will find yourself really not in need of much of anything.

I don’t understand all this talk of “grinding.” There is really no content that you are gated from besides dungeons on your way to 80 and high-end Fractals because of AR.

(edited by soakman.7539)

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

-_- just forget it… You are being difficult for no reason.

Actually, he had a legitimate question. Semantics aside, what things were you talking about (Guild missions aside, I’m assuming)?
I’m curious myself for ideas

Fun vs Farm

Knote.2904

In theory, this is true. However, as long as something is faster (at ALL) in regards to making profit, a certain set of extrinsic-reward-oriented people will clump there and do only that.

Unless you’re farming for a legendary, you can do quite almost anything in this game and over time you will find yourself really not in need of much of anything.

I don’t understand all this talk of “grinding.” There is really no content that you are gated from besides dungeons on your way to 80 and high-end Fractals because of AR.

That’s not true unless the reward is better by a large enough margin, if activity A makes you 1% more money than activity B per hour, sure A might get a bit more attention, but if you want to do activity B atleast you’re only 1% behind….. who cares if people want to do A for that extra 1%?

It’s better than being behind like 50% because I decided to do activity C for fun.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Superfast.5901

Superfast.5901

Farming is fun

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: TrinityX.4579

TrinityX.4579

That’s not true unless the reward is better by a large enough margin, if activity A makes you 1% more money than activity B per hour, sure A might get a bit more attention, but if you want to do activity B atleast you’re only 1% behind….. who cares if people want to do A for that extra 1%?

It’s better than being behind like 50% because I decided to do activity C for fun.

How is having more fun by doing C (which makes you less money, oh no) a bad thing? People couple their gaming happiness to acquiring metal pieces of currency too much if you ask me.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

mad king clock tower = fun + farm

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I think you pretty well covered it. I find that alts also add a bit of fun, but usually only for a new class for 20 levels or so.

Seconded, although I’d put dungeons in the “fun once” section due to how static they are.

Newly released content is always worth looking into as well.

(edited by Smith.1826)

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

If you’re a crazy skinner-pigeon like me farming IS fun.

Now if only I could turn pain into pleasure. Those sex-pervert masochists really have it made.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

My favorite thing to do in game before the “farming Mania” took hold of me for my ascended weapons was to amble about a new map doing the DEs I came across. I’ve found many many that I’d missed before on my way to 80 a year ago. In many ways the emptyness of many maps now offers up a whole new range of DEs as the players haven’t kept the foes in check.

Try it some time – just walk across your least played map and see what pops up.

The world is a lot bigger and more interesting if one self-imposes an waypoint restriction and simply walks everywhere.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

(edited by Ferguson.2157)

Fun vs Farm

Knote.2904

How is having more fun by doing C (which makes you less money, oh no) a bad thing? People couple their gaming happiness to acquiring metal pieces of currency too much if you ask me.

I’m not saying the only reason it’s fun is because it’s making me money.

If 1 player has fun doing activity A, and another likes doing Activity B, but Activity A can produce money and Activity B doesn’t, then one player gets to get loot doing something they enjoy and the other doesn’t, said loot is for attaining any loot related goals/carrots like skins you want.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting rewards…. honestly.

If every activity is profitable then everyone wins, do w/e you find fun and you don’t have to worry about making money if you need it for something you want. How anyone would be against this is beyond me lmao.

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

How about crafting? I know at first glance it can look boring and just like a checklist once you get used to the recipes in say most of the crafts. But with cooking it is a little bit more fun. Try just “discovering” all of the “cool foods”. Shame however that these foods (well some of them) are unique and cool (hamburgers, french fries etc!) but their benefits are either specific for certain game elements and not so great for novelty on their own.

But yeah that’s one thing I can think of for now. Perhaps even taking it to the extreme and make a personal guild bank and create and store EVERY single piece of food just for that fun factor of having them all and looking them over at any time you like lol….

Another one I think I will do in the future is to create a few more chars just for “storing” and “playing” with weapons/armours. Meaning they will be like mannequins with 8 inv bags all with 20 slot bags. 1 for example will be my “medium” armour tester and I will go out of my way to gather EVERY single piece of medium armour for him to hold and to test/play with looks/colours whenever I’m trying to find that cool new look for any of my other chars. He will remain at lvl 1 of course lol.

Yes I know you can sort of do this already in sPVP but it’s not really the same thing and you have to unlock all the gear there too through playing sPvP…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Fun vs Farm

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

• Temple/dynamic events
  • Mini-dungeons

Depending on who you ask, all the above can be considered farming and tedious.

Heck, people hate it when they have to redo map exploration on alts because they find it repetitive and tedious.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/