Future GW2 content needs protection against the Zerg

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Anet needs to pick Protoss :P , but really, its probably pointless to fix existing content, since the huge majority of the population either already hit 80 or quit, I’m in the mid level zones and there are only 1-2 people per zone : /

And that brings me to the main problem, the game is a joke when in a zerg. EVERYTHING falls to the zerg, even the “endgame” Orr content, which was actually considered hard until everyone and their mom hit 80 making that content easy as well. It really detracts from the game, in a zerg everything is ridiculously easy and feels inconsequential, the game obviously doesn’t scale up to too many people. Making a zerg experience a bad experience is Anet shooting themselves in the foot since the majority of players will be in the zerg. Atm the game is optimized for the handful of people playing on off times, or when the stars align and the amount of people on is actually in the amount the DE’s scale for.

The problem is not just DE scaling but the types of DE’s that are going on in the world, future content should know that most people will play in a huge zerg so the content of the DE’s needs to be large battles, like an amped up version of the DE’s in Orr currently. Also, obviously, the DE’s should have much more flexibility in their scaling, and don’t just arbitrarily cut off at a certain a point, especially if that point is much lower than what the avg player will ever experience.

Its almost like Anet didn’t expect their game to be so popular, and didn’t anticipate so many people to be in a single zone. Though if not that many people return for the expansion, maybe they don’t have to worry about the zerg any more : /

TL;DR, atm, the game is optimized for an amount of players per zone MUCH lower than what the average player will see. Trivializing all the pve content in the game for the majority of people.

(edited by the uprising.6317)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

I think dungeons may offer what you are looking for. There’s multiple kinds of content in the game for exactly that reason. Whether there’s enough of it is a different issue, and one that can be addressed with updates.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I suggest playing a single-player game. No zerg.

Posted by: Belcross.6127

Belcross.6127

@tolunart

Starcraft story-mode still has zerg =d lol.

the uprising.6317

Added a tl;dr to ward off posts like these >.>

the uprising.6317

I think dungeons may offer what you are looking for. There’s multiple kinds of content in the game for exactly that reason. Whether there’s enough of it is a different issue, and one that can be addressed with updates.

Dungeons are ridiculous without a dungeon finder, unless you’re in a guild. I have no clue why they set up dungeons in the current way, as without a dungeon finder, how the HECK are you going to get 4 other people who want to do the same PATH of the same DUNGEON as you? You are out of luck if they don’t like that dungeon skin, and also out of luck if they already ran that dungeon route.

Posted by: Zetoe.1327

Zetoe.1327

This game does a really bad job at building the community. Most of your experiences are “do your own thing while everyone around you does their own thing, and everyone gets their own loot” That is not really good for causing player interaction. The most you get is a “Good job” from one guy. then everybody leaves.

Its largely the same with dungeons. People say there is teamwork in this, and I laugh at them. They don’t know what teamwork actually is. Equipping a bunch of skills that have secondary effects your team can trigger passively is not active teamwork.

You don’t ever NEED anyone on anything. I’ve yet to make any friends due to events that took place within the game that we actually needed eachother to work through. I’ve made friends in many other mmos this way, yet here It seems absent. They got rid of the holy trinity, sure, but they did it the wrong way. The end result was more harm than good.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I agree. The scaling is off, and the difficulty of encounters is all over the place.

The devastation zerg pops between easy tank and spank bosses that don’t scale well and almost never put anyone in downed state.

When there are that many players around, players who fail to dodge or avoid telegraphs should be getting 1 shot and all bosses in champ events in orr should have some kind of major telegraph that can 1 shot.

People who just want to take the easy route to everything shouldn’t play video games. It’s pretty sad how many players want everything for nothing, want to shortcut every game mechanic, are willing to cheat via buying gold and other garbage. Why do you even play if you’re not willing to actually PLAY?

Zerg = ez-mode, no challenge, gutless, lameness

Posted by: Redamz.5038

Redamz.5038

I think adding bosses and events with unique drops/rewards to each zone would solve that.