Future plans for Hall of Monuments?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CaptnRio.2705

CaptnRio.2705

I very recently created a new character, my first after quite a few months, and i saw the orb that takes me to the HoM and found myself thinking… “wow.. i haven’t been here since launch..” and then i also found myself wondering why nothing else has been done to the HoM as far as upgrades or anything.

Are there any rumored future plans for HoM? Maybe purchasable merchants or bank NPCs or anything like that? Seems like a lot of empty, unused space for one NPC at the far end and a few tamable animals (If you got far enough in the achievements that is).

Leave a comment with what you’d like to see done to the HoM! I’m curious to see if anyone else has had the same thoughts as me!

Posted by: Azure Moonfire.7493

Azure Moonfire.7493

I’d like to see something cool there for non-GW one players, as an incentive for everyone to check the place out. Mind you, I’m not saying that unique rewards should be made available to all; that would upset a lot of the veterans. But I’ve been there (and I’ve never played GW 1) just to see what it was like, and I thought it was a really cool, intriguing place, but yes, it’s mostly empty space.

It would be cool if the place was made into a repository of information for those curious about the events of GW1. The ghosts in the front had some interesting info, but not very much of it. I’d like to see more of that. Maybe books/plaques/tablets scattered around that told of Tyrian history? Would be interesting.

Also, get rid of the need for an inventory space filling item to go there. Just allow people to travel there at will after talking to the vendor that sells them.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

It’s literally just a place to go pick up some skins if you unlocked them in GW1, it hs absolutely no purpose beyond that. Maybe ANet will add to it eventually, but it’s unlikely.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

I think they should add a jumping puzzle that gets us out of the hall into a small area of the shiverpeaks with some unique monsters to kill. Everyone can get there, so it’s not as it it would be unfair to those that didn’t play Gw1

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It’s literally just a place to go pick up some skins if you unlocked them in GW1, it hs absolutely no purpose beyond that. Maybe ANet will add to it eventually, but it’s unlikely.

^Yup. It’s just a place to go when you have nostalgia from Guild Wars 1 or if you want to pick up armor/weapon skins.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It would be cool if the place was made into a repository of information for those curious about the events of GW1. The ghosts in the front had some interesting info, but not very much of it. I’d like to see more of that. Maybe books/plaques/tablets scattered around that told of Tyrian history? Would be interesting..

That would be nice. It could be a library of sorts, and around the scrying pool the tapestries (if they’re even still there…now that I mention it) could also tell a story. Perhaps even do something more with the scrying pool.

I’m not a big fan of making heavy exclusive content just for GW1 players – I think my GWAMM and Champion of the God titles (among the others…Chosen, Closer to the Stars, Flameseeker) are enough exclusivity for me because they are some kitten titles. However, I would like to see Hall of Monuments really be something more. Not just for GW1 players, for all players.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I doubt ANet will do anything more with the HoM. It was put into GW to bridge to the new game, keeping fans interested in the franchise because of the promise of rewards in GW2. It has served its purpose, and ANet has moved on to trying to please the current crop of players.

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

Part of the GW1 appeal wasn’t just HoM points for GW2 skins (which lets face it went out of style fairly quickly) and exclusive pets (both GWs), but also having that Visual representation of your achievements and monumental weapons which were hard hours of play to obtain. The feeling of placing a new statue was just, if not more special as your name being announced around the world for favor of the gods.

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

(edited by Phenix Flyer.6724)

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

I’d like to see something cool there for non-GW one players, as an incentive for everyone to check the place out. Mind you, I’m not saying that unique rewards should be made available to all; that would upset a lot of the veterans. But I’ve been there (and I’ve never played GW 1) just to see what it was like, and I thought it was a really cool, intriguing place, but yes, it’s mostly empty space.

It would be cool if the place was made into a repository of information for those curious about the events of GW1. The ghosts in the front had some interesting info, but not very much of it. I’d like to see more of that. Maybe books/plaques/tablets scattered around that told of Tyrian history? Would be interesting.

Also, get rid of the need for an inventory space filling item to go there. Just allow people to travel there at will after talking to the vendor that sells them.

I made a forum suggestion for Race instances for that races lore and history.
I was thinking that each place or way of representation would be a reflection on that race.
The humans could have a library in divinity’s reach.
The asura could have some sort of holo projections dedicated to their history and exemplary figures or genius.
Sylvari could be instanced back within the dream to converse with others or see glimpses of memory.
Norns seem to have more an Oral tradition so a place with orators and heirlooms and trophies.
The Charr could do honorary and historical arena matches.
just a suggestion for future because I’m someone who really enjoys the depth of lore that surrounds Tyria

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

(edited by Phenix Flyer.6724)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’ve decided I’m going to get GW1 just so I can have something in there. Its a bit of the game that I have no association with at all.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I just use the HoM as a place to park my character if I have to go AFK. No need to worry about coming back downed.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’ll have a use in about oh I don’t know maybe 5-7 years time when they start working on Gw3.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

I actually really like the HoM as an empty/semi-decrepid hall. It sort of reminds me of all the lore of GW1 and acts as a tribute to the game. I wouldn’t want it tainted with new NPCs etc. Sometimes its nice to be able to go there and remember what it was like in EOTN. Plus I enjoy the walk through the HoM to get my GW1 rewards, makes them feel more epic.
On a more practical note, there is no way Anet would ever add anything here. It is literally just a catalyst for players to gain their GW1 rewards. If they wanted more advanced home instances etc. they would make appropriate changes elsewhere. Not to mention that these changes are so insignificant that the game would have to be virtually perfect before they would even be considered (which I suspect might be a loooong way off)

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Originally HoM was supposed to fulfill similar role in GW2 as it did in GW1 – a visual showcase of your achievements – not only to yourself, but to others. It was supposed to be reachable somewhere duting the personal storyline, a place well-anchored within the world (and important to the story). That project seems to have been abandoned, and what we got was a clumsily linked personal instance, that is completely separate from the rest of the game, with minimalistic design containing the once-promised rewards as shown in HoM calculator, and absolutely nothing else. A link to the past that no longer was something to be proud of, but something to be hidden out of sight.

Considering this, i doubt we will ever see anything added to it. On the contrary, i bet the developers would rather have us completely forget about this place.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

minimalistic design? The design was pre-determined by EOTN. It is a tribute to GW1 and I hope I’m not alone in appreciating its sentiment.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Seems possible that the Hall of Monuments will be visited whenever we push into the Northern Shiverpeaks. I expect the Durmand Priory to be all over it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

minimalistic design? The design was pre-determined by EOTN.

Yes, exactly. We got exactly what was predetermined – because they couldn’t really change that. Even then, they did change quite a lot for the worse (turning it into ruin, which considering the known history of the structure should be quite unlikely) in order to make it just that – a reminder, but nothing more.

Perhaps they had plans to do something with it in the last phases before launch, and just didn’t manage to finish it in time when launch got rescheduled to be way early. Perhaps they just stopped caring about the link to GW1. I have no idea – but it’s clear that something that originally was planned to have a much bigger role in the GW2 world and lore, ended up getting sidelined and abandoned.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

well first of all i realy like the design of the hom , you can see that time has passed since gw1

and second….my fish which will never come true because the not gw1 players will flame anet to death…..make the hom like the airship with npcs for bank, vendor and so on, then i wound never enter LA/gandara fields again , lol

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I’d like to find the THIEF that stole all my descendants armors, weapons, mini-pets and tapestries that were displayed there, I was hoping/wishing that all these things would still be there on display for anyone to check out and admire. I think I know the answer though, that being, if everyone saw what GW1 players EARNED just for playing the game, not some LAME COSMETIC SKINS that you MUST BUY(whether it be with IGM, gems or RNG BLC’s) new players that never saw what GW1 offered in the way of armors/weapons would say WTF why isn’t stuff like that in GW2 and quit. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger