GMs are awful in this game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Why? Because they don’t have the power to do anything. They can’t help you in case something breaks. Please fix.

Posted by: traviswrdunbar.4780

traviswrdunbar.4780

If “something breaks” its either software or hardware. That is not something, to the best of my knowledge a GM in ANY MMO is responsible for. In the vast majority of instances, GMs are responsible for dealing with player behavior.

There is an in-game bug report feature, as well as the tech support side of this forum, for everything else.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Nobody knows what you are talking about.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

They have the power to do everything they are paid to do.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

RubberDougie.2750

They can’t teleport you in a broken mission to get unstuck. “Into the Labyrinth” is incompletable for everyone at the moment. They also can’t tell a Dynamic Event to skip to the next step because it is holding up people that need it to access Living Story Season 2 content.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

They also can’t tell a Dynamic Event to skip to the next step because it is holding up people that need it to access Living Story Season 2 content.

Yeah, that is most likely in the dev console, not GM access.

Also, manipulating events for players is not something GMs are supposed to do.

RubberDougie.2750

GMs in City of Heroes had way more power and the game was better off for it.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If you are talking about the part of the LS2 that makes you go through the maze it can be completed. You just have to know your way around and where to go. I did this 2 weeks ago on one of my alts and could not see the minimap either due to this issue.

So if it’s your first playthrough yes it may be rough but it is possible. So right now you have a few options:

1 – Wait for the fix.
2 – Try and stumble your way through it.
3 – Ask someone who has done it before who remembers it to help you out.

3 is possible as there are players like myself who have taken numerous alts through the LS2 PS who know the maze pretty well for the story instance. So perhaps try on the player helping player sub forum.

As to the topic at hand, I would say it’s good that GMS can’t take us through things by workarounds or whatever. Could you imagine all the cries on the forums from players demanding Gms to help them through every bug because “but they helped my friend so you have to help me too!”? Yeah I would say that would not be a good day for these Gms lol. They would probably not even want to log into the game anymore or hide on accounts without the Anet tag.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If “something breaks” its either software or hardware. That is not something, to the best of my knowledge a GM in ANY MMO is responsible for. In the vast majority of instances, GMs are responsible for dealing with player behavior.

There is an in-game bug report feature, as well as the tech support side of this forum, for everything else.

In LOTRO, when an instance bugs out, a GM will come and advance it for you, so you can get completion and not lose any progress.

I’ve also asked LOTRO GMs to unbug NPCs that won’t talk to me and they can do that, too, so yes, GMs in some other games are very helpful.

Paulytnz.7619

In LOTRO, when an instance bugs out, a GM will come and advance it for you, so you can get completion and not lose any progress.

I’ve also asked LOTRO GMs to unbug NPCs that won’t talk to me and they can do that, too, so yes, GMs in some other games are very helpful.

In the early days of Runescape I was well known to the game creators on the forums as I would post there a lot like I do here. It was very early days and botting started to become a problem so they had a thread up asking to report cases of botting. I came across one case and reported it on the forums. One of the game’s original creators happened to be online at the time watching the forums and jumped straight in game and came to my location. He found the bot and removed him right away. Into what they called “the black hole” in those days, pretty much trapping them in a room where they could not do anything lol.

So yes, they can very from game to game with their powers and willingness to help. I guess it all comes down to what they were actually hired to do in the first place and how busy they actually are at what they are doing and even then what they are even doing in the game at the time they are on their Anet accounts.

In this game’s case I would say it would be something they would not because – see my post above. But yet, it is nice to have some things helped with in game. But getting around things such as PS stories and associated bugs, I think that’s best left to the bugfix department and just waited on.

Ps, I can tell you tho it was soooooo satisfying to get rid of that bot that day lol. They were causing all sorts of problems for many players. Knowing that just 1 was taken out of the game was very satisfying. Especially this one as I think it was doing something silly as just opening and closing a door very fast so that people could not continue a quest or something. Basically just trolling….

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Not to mention they appeared in-game as police drones. Ah, the memories.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

No, it causes over-dependency. People will expect a GM to hold their hand every step of the way as I’ve seen on many private servers for other games (and some official servers too). GMs are unable to resolve any issues that are a result of coding (lack of knowledge, ability and source access in most cases). Not to mention the larger the playerbase, the less people they are able to baby-step through every single problem they encounter. This then leads to people complaining that a GM wasn’t available to help them. You know what I find better? People being encouraged to use common sense to report bugs and find solutions themselves. If you’re grown up enough to use a computer, then you’re grown up enough to follow simple processes like bug reporting.

Oh and the more power you give GMs, the more room for abuse. Seen that happen far too many times and not just on private servers either.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

RubberDougie.2750

If you are talking about the part of the LS2 that makes you go through the maze it can be completed. You just have to know your way around and where to go. I did this 2 weeks ago on one of my alts and could not see the minimap either due to this issue.

So if it’s your first playthrough yes it may be rough but it is possible. So right now you have a few options:

1 – Wait for the fix.

3 is possible as there are players like myself who have taken numerous alts through the LS2 PS who know the maze pretty well for the story instance. So perhaps try on the player helping player sub forum.

As to the topic at hand, I would say it’s good that GMS can’t take us through things by workarounds or whatever. Could you imagine all the cries on the forums from players demanding Gms to help them through every bug because “but they helped my friend so you have to help me too!”? Yeah I would say that would not be a good day for these Gms lol. They would probably not even want to log into the game anymore or hide on accounts without the Anet tag.

It isn’t the maze that is the problem. They broke it 15 days ago or so at the end of the cutscene. It places you in terrain.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Every game treats GMs differently and bestows on them different levels of power. Invariably, there is some GM who has power who screws with the players in ways from benignly minor to gamebreakingly and facerendingly unfair.

In Meridian 59, there was a GM who decided to just summon people into a boss room to get killed, then summon them again and again. There were also reports of them simply deleting inventory off players or otherwise interfering.

In EverQuest, there was a GM who summoned players and made their respawn location at the feet of hyper-aggressive raptors at the high end of the level spectrum. There was also multiple cases where they would ban first and ask questions . . . never. “Guilty until we feel like checking if you were innocent.”

ArenaNet made the decision early on to not have active GMs who could access that kind of power, so incidents like these or worse could not happen. I mean, imagine if a disgruntled/trollish GM decided to simply use his account to remove all Precursors from the TP. Or force-fail Dragon’s Stand. Or to reset random guild halls.

The price we pay for the safety against such actions is the inability of them to do anything.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Thats total BS!

After release of Isengard or even after the release of MoM they stopped being good GM’s … Our raids bosses gliched and became friendly a few times and GM’s didnt help us make him an enemy again so we had to reset raids a few times. At another time our friend who we did the raid with couldn’t open the last loot chest, she looked with a GM and they couldn’t let her loot that chest. There was one time I was stuck in a wall that a GM helped me get out of it. I havent played Lotro very much since I started playing GW2 so maby it have changed now but I doubt it.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

This game has GMs? I’ve seen them like, once a year.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think this game even has GMs, properly speaking. There’s ANet employees who play, who may or may not be wearing the ANet logo, but that doesn’t mean they are playing as a GM. The closest thing I can think of us when an upper management dev plays somewhere like WvW to check out reports of botting and griefing. But other than that, do they even exist?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Thats total BS!

No, it isn’t. Both types of incidents I mentioned have happened to me after RoI, and my overall experience in LOTRO has been that GMs are very helpful. Your experience is unfortunate, but it isn’t the same for everyone.

Paulytnz.7619

1 – Wait for the fix.

It isn’t the maze that is the problem. They broke it 15 days ago or so at the end of the cutscene. It places you in terrain.

Oh boy that one days sound, umm (censor thought I was being naughty :P) icky…I would def suggest just waiting it out. In the meantime if you do have HOT you can still access those maps and the rest of the expansion, the LS2 is not needed to go to those maps.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Thats total BS!

After release of Isengard or even after the release of MoM they stopped being good GM’s … Our raids bosses gliched and became friendly a few times and GM’s didnt help us make him an enemy again so we had to reset raids a few times. At another time our friend who we did the raid with couldn’t open the last loot chest, she looked with a GM and they couldn’t let her loot that chest. There was one time I was stuck in a wall that a GM helped me get out of it. I havent played Lotro very much since I started playing GW2 so maby it have changed now but I doubt it.

It’s not total BS. I had a GM once help me with an epic quest instance (one of the ones in Agamaur.) The instance had stalled out and wasn’t letting me progress. The GM came in.. and I got ported around a lot, and then finally got set on the right path. This was during MoM times. They did get much worse after f2p launched, which was sad.

Posted by: Keneth.6490

Keneth.6490

I’ve completed LS S02 4 times in the last two weeks and it worked fine. A friend and I got stuck inside the fence once when we rushed through it, but it’s possible to get out of the terrain object with a bit of effort.

While it’s certainly a bug and needs a fix (along with the arrow cart in another mission and a couple other minor things), it’s absolutely not impossible to complete it.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

There aren’t GMs like this in gw2. The Anet staff that play have a special guild tag but that’s it. I don’t believe those characters they play have any special privileges besides a red tag. They have to develop their character on their own just like any other player.

RubberDougie.2750

I’ve completed LS S02 4 times in the last two weeks and it worked fine. A friend and I got stuck inside the fence once when we rushed through it, but it’s possible to get out of the terrain object with a bit of effort.

While it’s certainly a bug and needs a fix (along with the arrow cart in another mission and a couple other minor things), it’s absolutely not impossible to complete it.

I tried wiggling out and using rocket boots / Jump shot for 20 minutes. How did you get out?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This thread may answer your GM (and their existence) questions:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Ingame-GMs-do-they-exist/first#post4569151

Good luck.

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Simply not true. I’ve had a GM unstuck a boss mid-fight during a big meta event in Verdant Brink.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Thats total BS!

No, it isn’t. Both types of incidents I mentioned have happened to me after RoI, and my overall experience in LOTRO has been that GMs are very helpful. Your experience is unfortunate, but it isn’t the same for everyone.

Well that is true… I was atleast very angry with their GM’s becouse bugs happened and we rarely got help and comming to GW2 to hear that there are realy no GM’s I undrstood that GM’s mostly handle harrasments and very special issues.

So I take it back, it is not BS..

Thats total BS!

It’s not total BS. I had a GM once help me with an epic quest instance (one of the ones in Agamaur.) The instance had stalled out and wasn’t letting me progress. The GM came in.. and I got ported around a lot, and then finally got set on the right path. This was during MoM times. They did get much worse after f2p launched, which was sad.

That’s what I meant, with MoM they where great they helped me a few times but we had so much problems with GM’s not helping during the Isengard raids and more.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

I remember playing Shadowbane with my Dad as a kid, and all the bridges in that game were the source of all evil. If you clipped the rails, your character would become magnetized to it and would be pulled back to the point of collision repeatedly. I was sad because it was n the beginning area and we just started, but a GM came and saved us. It was nice, and I’ve subconsciously avoid bridges in video games insofar as possible ever since.

That said, there probably isn’t enough manpower to come and save everyone all the time. Its an instance, so a fix to the instance would probably be best for everyone, as the GMs wouldn’t be able to save everyone which I’m sure would be opening a can of worms.

RubberDougie.2750

Simply not true. I’ve had a GM unstuck a boss mid-fight during a big meta event in Verdant Brink.

Lies. It was probably a developer in the fight. GMs don’t have that power here and players have no way to call for a GM to help.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lies. It was probably a developer in the fight. GMs don’t have that power here and players have no way to call for a GM to help.

The GMs in this game are Devs, as per Inculpatus’ link. Ingame GMs. Do they exist?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

DDO GM’s for me have always been way superior.. get a problem, devs come and sort the problem out or at least get you moved out or reset a boss that’s bugged.
Heck many MMO’s even have commands incorporated to get you out of stuck points..

GW2 seems to have such a lot of places you can get into and get stuck, forcing a WP.. or perform a dodge or a teleport only to find your rooted forever or stuck into terrain… a simple /stuck command like say in SWTOR that allows a limited amount of uses every “X” amount of time, which places your character a small distance away and back in play.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

They also can’t tell a Dynamic Event to skip to the next step because it is holding up people that need it to access Living Story Season 2 content.

Yeah, that is most likely in the dev console, not GM access.

Also, manipulating events for players is not something GMs are supposed to do.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the tier of support you’re in.

It also depends on the game’s internal support structures.

The game I worked as a GM in a while ago had software that would allow for some minor world alterations. Larger-scale bugs from systems problems may or may not have been solvable. There was a display and sorting problem for inventories that lead to a loss of item accessibility, and even on the GM panel these couldn’t be recovered; the issue had to be resolved by the UI and database teams.

GM panels usually just have the ability to alter character inventories, spawn entities (items, monsters), alter the location of players, and alter the location of the GM’s character, among similar minor tasks. Usually these just inherit from existing systems, such as teleporting players to a GM, but the GM inheriting the properties of a WP as flesh would mentioned as a problem that couldn’t be solved.

Changing something like a dynamic event may be well beyond the reach of a normal GM depending on the architecture of the events and their integration with support tools software. I recall having to do quite a few workarounds or tell players to modify files client-side to solve problems that were beyond what was integrated in the GM tools package.

Consequently, support tiers will have different tools; my boss, for example, had a higher-tier of usable tools to work with; including customizable items (in a game that did not have these) and simply breaking the “rules” of the game involving some rather special DB queries made exclusively for this reason.

ANet’s support is pretty solid, so if the bug is an account-only problem, they’ll likely be more than willing to help and can resolve it. If there’s a bigger problem behind the scenes, they may not know how to fix it and/or cannot without the problem solved by one of the programmers.