"GW 2 takes everything you love about GW 1"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto Trailer ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E )

Which are the things that you loved in GW1 that are also in GW2, except for the lore and no monthly fees?

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

This has been discussed already a bazillion times, but I’ll give you an answer:

>> the music!

and thats about it….

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The fact that protection is stronger than healing. That you didn’t need a tank. That at least some dungeons had a story and explorable mode. Hell, Trahearne is definitely Komir ressurected.

The feel of the world. Mechanics are different for sure, but we knew almost all those changes before the game went on presale.

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

That you don’t need a tank or healer.
The lore.
The music.
The epic landscape.

Yea, the fact that you don’t need a tank or a healer really makes this one of my favorite games

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

The art. The music.
The lore is a thin veneer of GW1 rewritten.

What part of GW1 were you doing that didn’t need a healer or Monk skills on a gimmick farm build?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

The name, its the only thing they kept really

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Not much to be honest.
Most of what I liked in Guild Wars 1 is not brought over the Guild Wars 2. It’s just a completely different game.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Dafomen.7892

The feel of the world.

For me the world in GW2 feels much less…..melancholic than in GW1.
Its epic, yes…..and very childish in GW2.
Its not a bad thing per se and actually funny at most, but surely not the same as it was in GW1 apart from those exception like Joko

Yea, the fact that you don’t need a tank or a healer really makes this one of my favorite games

Either you didnt understand OPs question or you didnt play GW1 at all because in every outpost there were groups spamming “GLF monk” because you needed mostly 2 healers per group. Tanks had their place too, but you could make it without one.

All in all GW2 is a completely different and good game, not awesome as GW1 turned out to be, but GW2 is still very young…lets not forget that fact

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

The art style and music. My most favourite things about guild wars 1 and to be honest, the only things I wanted to return to guild wars… Well, not considering the little player friendly details like no sub or teleport convienance anyway

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I love the 10-slot skill bar, where every skill has a use as opposed to the 10000 slot bar in other games where I barely use 3 skills.

I love the overall charm and feel of Tyria, which is definitively taken from GW1.

I love the style, which, while different, is still one of the most realistic MMO styles.

I love how this game takes everything I love from GW1 and puts it in GW2.

Fact is, this game is exactly what GW1 would have been, were it an MMO. It never was, but GW2 is, and that meant some things had to change.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The feel of the world.

For me the world in GW2 feels much less…..melancholic than in GW1.
Its epic, yes…..and very childish in GW2.
Its not a bad thing per se and actually funny at most, but surely not the same as it was in GW1 apart from those exception like Joko

Either you didnt understand OPs question or you didnt play GW1 at all because in every outpost there were groups spamming “GLF monk” because you needed mostly 2 healers per group. Tanks had their place too, but you could make it without one.

All in all GW2 is a completely different and good game, not awesome as GW1 turned out to be, but GW2 is still very young…lets not forget that fact

I had heroes to do that, and never had to think about it. Since you had heroes, it didn’t matter. As for tanking, there was no true tanking in Guild Wars 1, since there was no taunt mechanic. That’s what I really liked. I never particularly minded healers, but I’ve always disliked the tanking mechanic.

I’m pretty sure I could give you a good run on how many hours of Guild Wars 1 I played.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

As others have already said, this one has been beaten to death already.

Not much to be honest.
For me personally: absolutely nothing, why incorporating some elements I absolutely hated in other games I played.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i miss quests and i miss healing class ritualist and monk i loved them in pvp iwas monk and evryone chased me it was SO FUn and i was so op

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

I miss nothing. GW1 wasn’t so great to make me buy the expansions.
GW2 suits me better.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

Globs of ectoplasm <3

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

The beautiful landscapes
The sense of exploration
The feeling of deep history when you explore the ruins of the old world
The humor (though more of it now)
The races we only got to see bits and pieces of
The distinct feeling of different lands
The no grind philosophy
The holiday events
The limited skill bar (though it’s alot easier to change now – traits are kind of where skills used to be)
Some other stuff I’m not thinking of at the minute.

GW2 really took most of the things I wished were different in GW1 and fixed them. Loved that game, love this one more.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Dafomen.7892

I had heroes to do that, and never had to think about it. Since you had heroes, it didn’t matter. As for tanking, there was no true tanking in Guild Wars 1, since there was no taunt mechanic. That’s what I really liked. I never particularly minded healers, but I’ve always disliked the tanking mechanic.

I’m pretty sure I could give you a good run on how many hours of Guild Wars 1 I played.

Ok, it seems we are talking about different things now.

I was referring to having a dedicated healer (monk, ritu,necro… yada yada) in your group (hero or player) not being optional in GW1 whereas you stated in GW2 you dont need a healer at all and OP was asking about things you like in GW2 coming from GW1.

Anyway, my misunderstanding i guess so we can leave it like that

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

The beautiful landscapes
The sense of exploration
The feeling of deep history when you explore the ruins of the old world
The humor (though more of it now)
The races we only got to see bits and pieces of
The distinct feeling of different lands
The no grind philosophy
The holiday events
The limited skill bar (though it’s alot easier to change now – traits are kind of where skills used to be)
Some other stuff I’m not thinking of at the minute.

GW2 really took most of the things I wished were different in GW1 and fixed them. Loved that game, love this one more.

/endofthread