GW Veterans missed out on items due to RNG?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Q:

A question I would like to ask GW veterans – up to this point in time after many years have you not been able to obtain any skin or item because of RNG?

It occurred to me that I could be playing GW2 the rest of the game’s life and doing Teq daily and I would never see a Teq’s Hoard.

I simply want the skin, in addition to the other skins available in the game via grinding. It is really frustrating that some skins are locked behind RNG that would effectively prevent players from accessing them ever.

I am fine with minis and tonics restricted by RNG however – those are fun items and not used by the player character extensively in their normal play.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: notorious bob.2061

notorious bob.2061

Quite a few… never did get a Crystalline Sword or a Froggy Scepter

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I didn’t care much either way. I only got want was needed to finish GWAMM and my 50/50 then i got ready for GW 2 launch.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Noooo. Not really because of RNG so much as the ones available were priced outside the amount of plat I had. A guildie badly wanted the mini polar bear and never got it though. That item is rather like the mini Gwynefyrdd in its rarity.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I ended up buying a Frog Scepter because after about 30-40 runs of Bogroot Growths with no drops I decided grinding was for suckers. So I paid 600 platinum for one instead.

(And that wasn’t really an extraordinary amount at the time. There were items that cost at least 100 times as much.)

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

If we are talking about the first game, I never got an Icy Dragon Sword, and I tried and tried, and tried again.
If we are talking about the current game, I don’t really stress about rng too much, I got the weapon skins and armor I fell in love with (Vigil), and other than that, there really isn’t much else I want, with the exception of Foefire’s Essence, but I’m not actively trying to get that one.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

In the original guild wars, players repeated content with hopes of getting a rare weapon, and almost all the time they walked away without getting the rare loot.

I mean…. after all… the loot won’t be worth anything if it drops all the time.

The only difference in Guild Wars 2 is that, you can’t trade these rewards with other players.

You can’t sell your Teq Hoard, and it has no value to you if you do not like the skin or the stats on the weaponry…. when there might be a player right next to you who likes both the stats and the skin and would be willing to play a lot of money for it.

In this case, both players lose.

In the original guild wars, I thought the frog scepter looked dumb…. but that doesn’t mean I didn’t farm the dungeon and sell the scepters when I got them from the end chest.

GW1: Rare drop that you don’t want = $$$$$$
GW2: Rare drop that you don’t want = garbage.

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

Gw1 system was so much better then the current crap RNG based one , at least you knew where to farm if you wanted something,

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

The GW1 system was the same mindless farming just that as it was pointed out here, you could sell the shiny.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Gw1 system was so much better then the current crap RNG based one , at least you knew where to farm if you wanted something,

That’s an advantage and disadvantage. If you didn’t happen to like where you had to farm, it was a disadvantage.

Posted by: A L E X T H E K I D.8194

A L E X T H E K I D.8194

lol, get used to it man.. I’ve been playing since launch and not a single pre rofl, I still have 3/4 items for sunrise in my bank ready to be forged..I know of fresh 80’s getting pre’s from forge, hopefully they do something about rng in future.. I remember a post about it.. but i don’t expect anything to be done in the forseeable future by anet.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Really? Because I should point out I have tried many . . . many times to earn skins I wanted in GW1 and still remain without them unless I choose to drop some ectos (not plat, ectos).

Not counting Tormented, mind you. I’ve never gotten myself any of the following:

Froggy Scepter
Icy Dragon Sword
Vampiric Dragon Sword
Celestial Weapons
Amythest Aegis
Draconic Aegis
Mursaat Hornbow (the drop)

I also never got a Fiery Gladius OR Fiery Dragon Sword of good quality so Koss could swing one around.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

RNG has been a part of MMO’s since before MMO’s were created. It was in the grand precursor to all computer fantasy games, AD & D — assuming the GM used the loot tables.

I think there’s an interesting sociological phenomenon to be observed around “stuff” in MMO’s. Players want things to pursue, and when they get them they want something new to pursue. If the game developer makes the items too difficult to get, they risk the player giving up. However, is they make it too easy to get, the player just demands something new.

There are also issues with deferred gratification and excitement. Tokens, for instance, provide a guaranteed acquisition over time, but tend to remove a lot of the anticipation excitement that RNG provides. Of course, RNG tends to disappoint often, while tokens are a sure thing, just not very exciting until you’ve got them all.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

RNG has been a part of MMO’s since before MMO’s were created. It was in the grand precursor to all computer fantasy games, AD & D — assuming the GM used the loot tables.

I think there’s an interesting sociological phenomenon to be observed around “stuff” in MMO’s. Players want things to pursue, and when they get them they want something new to pursue. If the game developer makes the items too difficult to get, they risk the player giving up. However, is they make it too easy to get, the player just demands something new.

There are also issues with deferred gratification and excitement. Tokens, for instance, provide a guaranteed acquisition over time, but tend to remove a lot of the anticipation excitement that RNG provides. Of course, RNG tends to disappoint often, while tokens are a sure thing, just not very exciting until you’ve got them all.

That’s a pretty good summary of the kind of discussion being had over here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/RNG-as-a-concept-Discuss/first

It’s clearly a tough balance to find, between RNG, tokens, and so on.

Or words to that effect.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Indigo, I am weird in that when I work my campaigns up for D&D or other tabletop games (of the three I do dabble in) I tend to mix random chance to seeded specific rewards. In D&D I try to have 1 item which will be useful to the party for every 2 which is either of questionable use or not useful at all except as bait to be sold.

(Ironically, they don’t sell that many items – the group . . . started a trophy room hanging all their “completely legally gotten gains” on the walls. Including an oak table I described in a war-room which they decided would look great in the trophy room. I swear it’s amazing what they do . . .)

Another RPG I played, Ars Magica, encourages a lack of random elements to rewards and instead focuses on foresight and planning things out. That game is also the one I have the closest to my heart as far as systems go (yet I will never gather up the courage to try running a game).

As for computer RPGs? The best ones I played also mixed fixed treasure with random chance – Baldur’s Gate was one of the best which did that. MMOs, on the other hand? You know what always reminds me of my first two . . . the fact they were designed so gear was dreadfully simple to come by and there was rarely anything you could lose if you lost your corpse which couldn’t be regained after a couple dedicated hours.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Really? Because I should point out I have tried many . . . many times to earn skins I wanted in GW1 and still remain without them unless I choose to drop some ectos (not plat, ectos).

Not counting Tormented, mind you. I’ve never gotten myself any of the following:

Froggy Scepter
Icy Dragon Sword
Vampiric Dragon Sword
Celestial Weapons
Amythest Aegis
Draconic Aegis

I also never got a Fiery Gladius OR Fiery Dragon Sword of good quality so Koss could swing one around.

You misunderstood his post. He is saying that in gw1 you knew where to farm for something if you wanted it. The RNG still existed just like in gw2 today.

The ability to buy/sell the items is what made the gw1 system better imo.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

To be fair, when a GM observes a player constantly rolling terrible loot throughout a two-year long campaign, he/she has the option to intervene and actually reward the player with something (even if it’s not something they want) that reflects the effort they put in. Ideally they do this before two years has passed though.

Conversely in MMOs the GM just shrugs, some of the more vocal players cross their arms and shout “entitled noob!”, and the player is expected to continue enjoying putting in the effort to get nothing (not just something of equal value that they don’t want, but flat out “kitten , here’s two masterworks for your hour of work” level of nothing) again.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Never got any nice skin worth above 10g.
Excluding Zojja’s Weapon Box dropped at Tequatl.
Was a huge surprise after 8+ years of ArenaNet’s …….. RNG

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Personally I think the RNG is old and outdated system to make up for a lack of content, such content cannot be driven by developers by themselves because its asking too much.

Therefore we should have content customization by the player base, by increasing this diversity you satisfy desire for uniqueness and drops can drop for everyone, no need for RNG, it seemed completely redundant and silly in GW1 and it still does today if you kill something holding a desirable skin you should be able to walk off with it when you kill it.

What did it break in the battle every-time we fought?
Did I suddenly develop amnesia and forget to pick it up?

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Therefore we should have content customization by the player base, by increasing this diversity you satisfy desire for uniqueness and drops can drop for everyone, no need for RNG, it seemed completely redundant and silly in GW1 and it still does today if you kill something holding a desirable skin you should be able to walk off with it when you kill it.

What did it break in the battle every-time we fought?
Did I suddenly develop amnesia and forget to pick it up?

In other MMORPGs I’ve played chances of good loot dropping are nearly 100%, every boss drops at least one item that is worthy, but it then needs to be split to the party members. In the Guild Wars games it’s only random for each player. In other MMORPGs this system you describe, all mobs dropping what they carry, is possible and easy to implement and in some of them it does indeed work.

The problem is, imagine a group of 5 killing that mob, should it drop 5 Staffs that is holding, one for each one? Or imagine a big blob of 30 players killing it, should it drop 30 identical Staffs?

The main problem with RNG in this game, and to some extent in GW1 as well, is the lack of loot distribution. Both games suffer because of this, in other MMORPGs the loot drops for the entire party and it’s up to the group to distribute it among them, in GW1/GW2 every player rolls individually on the loot table for their own specific loot, therefore to keep content from becoming stale (when everyone gets everything they can get from it) the RNG in both games has a very very low chance.

In GW1 they somewhat reduced the effect of loot distribution by allowing all items to be traded between players, that way those who were lucky and got blessed by the RNG got their items, but the unlucky ones got the items by spending gold. In GW2 they take the bad features of both types, bound gear AND based only on RNG, while using only one of the benefits: loot for everyone.

Give bosses a 100% chance of loot drops, but the bosses should drop ONE of those items, and up to the players to distribute it. Non-pug groups will benefit the most from this, imagine you are in a group (now we are even discussing raids in GW2) of 25 players and kill the boss, the boss has a 100% chance to drop what you want. Even if all 25 players want that item, for example a good looking mini, you WILL get it someday. With GW2 RNG you are not guaranteed to get what you want even after a thousand attempts. Some people suggest tokens, I suggest a better distribution, by making those items Account Bound on Acquire, those who already have it will have no use getting it again, so eventually, EVERYONE in the game will have the item in question (everyone that can BEAT the content)

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

The biggest item I have gotten through RNG is a Pyre dye via a Black Lion Chest while keyfarming.

Other than that, I don’t think I have had a drop worth more than about 16g. I can only remember one drop that high. I am very happy and surprised when I get something that sells for 4g.

I have been playing since Beta.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

(edited by Gregori.5807)

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Froggy Scepter
Icy Dragon Sword
Vampiric Dragon Sword
Celestial Weapons
Amythest Aegis
Draconic Aegis

Actually bought a Draconic Aegis too, now I think of it. That was only around 30k – thankfully not a particularly rare skin, though none ever dropped for me.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Wow, please be a troll.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

The RNG in GW2 is worse. Yes GW1 had rare drops and sometime, even after 50-100 tries, you might not get what you want.

But 100 or 200 tries in GW2 is nothing.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Nobody loses out on items due to RNG, we were never meant to have everything. Please stop being entitled and start practicing the idea that some things (most things) we cannot get (in life, in game, everywhere). You will feel more happy if you can actually say: i would like to have this but it may not be within reach and life does not end if i won’t get it.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

That’s an advantage and disadvantage. If you didn’t happen to like where you had to farm, it was a disadvantage.

The drop tables in GW1 seemed more reasonable though (“smaller” because it was tied to content’s acquisition). UWSCing for 6-8 months would practically guarantee a Dhuum’s Scythe. Killing world bosses in GW2…doesn’t guarantee anything.

Froggy Scepter
Icy Dragon Sword
Vampiric Dragon Sword
Celestial Weapons
Amythest Aegis
Draconic Aegis

To be fair, aside from the draconic aegis and fiery gladius, most of what you mentioned would be fairly cheap. It would be like someone complaining of the RNG associated with Impaler.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I have yet to get a fossil for an Ambirite weapon. 8C

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

At least 5 months of daily Tequatl and never seen one single hoarde. Played since betas, 2 accounts, 6k+ hours played running dungeons, world bosses, PvP, FotM on massive amount for the whole time, never gotten a precursor, best drop ever seen was the pink sword from champ boxes…know someone with 300 hours gaming who dropped Zap and Spark. Someone else who on the same week dropped 2 the Legend+endless hairstyle kit.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

maddoctor.2738

Nobody loses out on items due to RNG, we were never meant to have everything. Please stop being entitled and start practicing the idea that some things (most things) we cannot get (in life, in game, everywhere). You will feel more happy if you can actually say: i would like to have this but it may not be within reach and life does not end if i won’t get it.

Why? The whole reason for having RNG system is to force players to repeat content, so they keep playing the game. There is no other reason for an RNG system to be used in games. If you can “force” players to repeat content without using RNG then it’s a win-win.

My proposal, making all bosses drop loot (one item only) with 100% chance that is then distributed among the players that killed it, will “force” players to repeat content, but no player will have to rely on RNG.

Out of 20 players doing the same dungeon, at most you will get your item in 20 runs, and even if you use PUGs you WILL get the item, it will only take some effort. With the current RNG system with the really low chances you might never get somethings, why?

In Real Life, LUCK is not the limiting factor of not getting things we want. In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If we are talking about the first game, I never got an Icy Dragon Sword, and I tried and tried, and tried again.

That was something I tried and tried to get from the ice imps but never did, and then wound up getting it from the guy with the yakk.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

A question I would like to ask GW veterans – up to this point in time after many years have you not been able to obtain any skin or item because of RNG?

It occurred to me that I could be playing GW2 the rest of the game’s life and doing Teq daily and I would never see a Teq’s Hoard.

I simply want the skin, in addition to the other skins available in the game via grinding. It is really frustrating that some skins are locked behind RNG that would effectively prevent players from accessing them ever.

I am fine with minis and tonics restricted by RNG however – those are fun items and not used by the player character extensively in their normal play.

It has been proposed many times before. An algorithm change that Improves your chances as time goes by (as you get drops) and once you get lucky and get a rare item, your luck boost resets back to normal. It’s still RNG, but in a controlled environment where if you are extremely unlucky, you will still end up getting something at some point.
Its been about a year since the concept has first been thrown with lots of details onto the forums by a game designer (not from anet) yet it has been totally to date.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Why? The whole reason for having RNG system is to force players to repeat content, so they keep playing the game. There is no other reason for an RNG system to be used in games. If you can “force” players to repeat content without using RNG then it’s a win-win.

My proposal, making all bosses drop loot (one item only) with 100% chance that is then distributed among the players that killed it, will “force” players to repeat content, but no player will have to rely on RNG.

Out of 20 players doing the same dungeon, at most you will get your item in 20 runs, and even if you use PUGs you WILL get the item, it will only take some effort. With the current RNG system with the really low chances you might never get somethings, why?

In Real Life, LUCK is not the limiting factor of not getting things we want. In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then?

You might want to define what you mean when you talk about players “killing the boss” or are you saying youd be absolutly thrilled to see a player leech to get the drop.

In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then? —- very simple my lad, you ONLY want that item because its rare and harder to obtain. If everyone had access to it then you wouldnt want it, Hence your here complaining about rng for this one item while 95% of the other game items are on the tp for a gold or less

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In GW1 I wouldn’t say I missed out on anything because of RNG because if you really wanted a particular skin or item you always had the option of buying it from another player.

In GW2 that’s often not an option. And while I still wouldn’t say I’ve missed out on items there’s certainly some I haven’t bothered going for because of RNG. If I’m debating between two skins and one is an RNG account bound drop and the other is a guaranteed reward I’ll go for the guaranteed one, even if it’s going to take a long time to get.

I disagree with this. I don’t think a skin is any different to a mini or a tonic in this context. Even before the update which added them to the wardrobe I always had at least one mini with me and kept it out. It’s a part of my character in the same way as the weapon and armor skins.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

maddoctor.2738

You might want to define what you mean when you talk about players “killing the boss” or are you saying youd be absolutly thrilled to see a player leech to get the drop.

In the game everyone has access to the exact same activities, why can’t they all have access to the same rewards then? —- very simple my lad, you ONLY want that item because its rare and harder to obtain. If everyone had access to it then you wouldnt want it, Hence your here complaining about rng for this one item while 95% of the other game items are on the tp for a gold or less

What about Account Bound on acquire items? Can’t get those on the TP yet they are behind RNG walls as well.

And I’m not complaining about a single item, I’m complaining about all of them. There are people that have multiple good drops / precursors and started playing a few weeks ago, and there are those with years of playtime and still not had one. All a result of an RNG system with extremely low chances.

There is no way to “leech”, loot distribution makes sense only in parties, in a team setting, not when randoms appear and join in an encounter.

I can’t imagine they will add Raids in the game (as per the recent CDI) without addressing the issue of RNG and loot in general. Everyone rolling on their loot is the reason RNG is so low, that has to change, at least when it makes sense to change (not in the open world)

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

This is the reason why, for the most part, I like the way we get legendaries. Aside from the precursor, you can work on every other component of it little by little.

There’s never a point where you have to say, “I really wanted this but I’m never going to get it, now I’m all out of goals for this game.”

When I was a kid I used to want there to be exclusive skins that pretty much only I had. I grew out of it. These days I strongly support things like the sclerite back item coming back into availability.

I’m alright with sellable things being in complete RNG, because every gold coin you make is at least progress toward it.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Pandaman.4758

Sorry, but you’re not exactly qualified to be asserting the motivations of other peoples’ desires – unless you’re a mutant telepath or something. I’m not saying rarity isn’t a factor in the decision making of some people, but it’s certainly not all people, and making that assumption in an attempt to discredit another person’s argument is poor form at best.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

To be fair, when a GM observes a player constantly rolling terrible loot throughout a two-year long campaign, he/she has the option to intervene and actually reward the player with something (even if it’s not something they want) that reflects the effort they put in. Ideally they do this before two years has passed though.

Conversely in MMOs the GM just shrugs, some of the more vocal players cross their arms and shout “entitled noob!”, and the player is expected to continue enjoying putting in the effort to get nothing (not just something of equal value that they don’t want, but flat out “kitten , here’s two masterworks for your hour of work” level of nothing) again.

Some GM’s are like that, some aren’t. In most games I’ve GM’d, magic items were very rare, but were all tailored to the campaign. I’ve never cared for standard D&D play where high level characters had +5 everything and couldn’t fight most threats without that stuff. It’s one reason I liked the original GW, gear was less important than mechanics inherent to the character.

As to MMO’s, that’s the genre in a nutshell. It provides stuff to chase, designs the game to keep people around for a long time. The entire genre is basically a time sink in which players constantly demand faster acquisition and developers try to stall them as long as they think they can get away with.

@ Tobias: you think that’s weird? That’s not weird, that’s sane. Then again, these days, maybe sane is weird…

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Never got any nice skin worth above 10g.
Excluding Zojja’s Weapon Box dropped at Tequatl.
Was a huge surprise after 8+ years of ArenaNet’s …….. RNG

Admittedly when I got a Zojja’s Weapon Box after opening my wvw chests, I was pleasantly surprised. It was probably one of the best drops I had ever got in GW2. As for GW1, I rarely got anything worth a ton of money.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

To date in GW2 I have not gotten a drop worth keeping, nor one worth more than a gold or two. The only exception has been some dyes (which have since been removed from drop tables).

In GW1 if RNG was being stubborn I could just buy a desirable item. Not true (for me) in GW2. This is why I have put a hold on spending money in GW2.

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Never found/forged precursor ever.

Attachments:

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Never found/forged precursor ever.

Eight hours a day, seven days a week ?

Wow.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To be fair, aside from the draconic aegis and fiery gladius, most of what you mentioned would be fairly cheap. It would be like someone complaining of the RNG associated with Impaler.

. . . yes, they would be rather cheap. Except they didn’t drop and the only way I would see one is if I bought it. Like currently, if I want to get, say, Cobalt? . . .

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Sorry, but you’re not exactly qualified to be asserting the motivations of other peoples’ desires – unless you’re a mutant telepath or something. I’m not saying rarity isn’t a factor in the decision making of some people, but it’s certainly not all people, and making that assumption in an attempt to discredit another person’s argument is poor form at best.

LOL please tell me about your qualification on assessing the motivations of gw2 players, sounds like you spent years taking that course in school. Rarity is sorta of a major driving force behind the entire game. I say “sorta” because I believe there isn’t enough rng in the game. Having high value items at the end of content encourages people to actually do that content….. oh wait I need your expertise in the motivations of gw2 players to define what a high value item is to a gw2 player, is it something easily obtained on regular occurrence or something that more difficult to obtain and has a rare occurrence? hmmm maybe some examples might help clarify that, on a regular basis you’ll see a players go completely out of their way to mine an ori node but for copper nodes even if players had to walk over them most wouldn’t bother. Prior to the champ update people rarely bothered with them because it wasn’t really worth the time/effort, after the update they became a sensation because of the items you could get ONLY BY THE BOXES THAT DROPPED FROM THEM BY CHANCE. At first those item prices were high but as time went on they got lower, must be because they got too hard to obtain huh (/sarcasm). Every day people fill teq’s map an 1+ hrs before it spawns for a chance at the loot it drops, if they were to switch the drops so it gave only a guaranteed white sword, how many people do you think would keep doing that event on a reg basis?

next rarity effects on appearance. Excluding all stats except solely the weapon, having a zerker sword with skin x doesnt make you more powerful than another zerker sword with skin y. No joe wants to look exactly like the mo next to him, which item would make him more unique, a common easy to get sword or a harder to get sword? sorry its kind of an unfair question, you need to be a “mutant telepath”

Lol sorry I seriously doubt there are players out there repeatedly throwing themselves at an rng generator for absolutely no gain whether it because they want it, to try to impress others or for profit – especially with 95% of the other items for less then 6 gold on the tp. But for lol I shall entertain your thought, I don’t care how valuable my car is nor do i want to impress others, therefore a brand new Ferrari should be made available to me for $300. I mean hey i put pants on 1 leg at a time like a rich guy would right?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

Well in GW there was no soul bound item unless you customized it to your character/HoM so everything can be traded.

I got everything in cuz I just farmed where I needed to or traded for what didn’t drop. Power trading in Spamadan was much more enjoyable than playing the TP where there is no human interaction.

GW2 is more based on the gem shop so ofc these annoying systems will be there so you can just buy gold or whatever.

Most bosses / elite chest in GW1 have a specific loot table items tied to them so you know what you can and cannot get. For example you would farm ecto in the elite areas or run FoW for a chaos axe.

edit: actually now that I think about it, dedicating an item to your HoM did not even soulbind it, just not allow them to dedicate it to theirs so you could get cheaper priced items if they were ded cuz at that point you can only use them not collect as achievement.

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

(edited by Gimp.9460)

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

Wow, please be a troll.

Wow don’t think old Phabby here has ever been called a troll before.

I think I could have expanded on my statement alot further but I really didn’t feel I needed to.
As some ppl have pointed out in GW1 you knew where to farm for any item that you felt the need to farm for, sure rng was there however the loot tables were very specific to the areas.
In Gw2 it is far from that setup and the loot table and RNG are world based which was never going to be in anyone’s favor.

Now don’t get me wrong I do not mind at all the RNG of GW1, I would still be chasing my MPB if I ever go back, as I feel some items should be near impossible to obtain. The reason for this is the dedicated farmer who does spend the time to acquire an item, Like the MPB, should feel that sense of achievement and know that everyone will be in awe of his dedication in achieving that goal.

The current system is flawed majorly and puts a massive downer on playing the game, even the comments from John in the BLT thread on RNG makes you question things.
Johns comments Simplified
There is no DR
Magic find is valuable and works
there is only a small percentage of players in the low minority that RNG hates and a small minority in the High that RNG loves, everyone else is in the middle.

So do you really think that the current system is working or was the original system in GW1 better?

Cheers

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

From two years of game play (approx). Mini Zuzu during the current Halloween event.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

i got my weekly gifts for a while and never got a vampiric dragon sword

however, most things (green weapons) that I wanted had that perfect balance of difficulty/reward/price/drop rate. by which i mean, drop rate was high enough that you could spend an hour farming to get what you wanted, it was challenging enough that it wasn’t mind numbingly boring or so hard that it was discouraging, and if you didn’t get your item it was usually cheap enough to just buy and if you had been farming for an hour you probably had a sizeable chunk earned towards the item.

in gw2 the drop rates for things are so abysmally low that you may as well just forget about it and buy it.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Pandaman.4758

Some GM’s are like that, some aren’t. In most games I’ve GM’d, magic items were very rare, but were all tailored to the campaign. I’ve never cared for standard D&D play where high level characters had +5 everything and couldn’t fight most threats without that stuff. It’s one reason I liked the original GW, gear was less important than mechanics inherent to the character.

That’s why I said GMs have the option to do that, whereas MMOs never attempt to make the RNG grind any less grindy of fair.

LOL please tell me about your qualification on assessing the motivations of gw2 players, sounds like you spent years taking that course in school.[…]

On what planet do I need to have qualifications to point out common sense? It’s just simple fact that you can’t speak for everyone based on personal biases and anecdotal evidence, much less go into someone’s argument and try to “disprove” it with some claim that you know what they’re thinking.

I really hope you’re just misunderstanding the snark in my post to mean something else and not actually failing to understand such a fundamental truth about interacting with people.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The RNG in GW2 is worse. Yes GW1 had rare drops and sometime, even after 50-100 tries, you might not get what you want.

The polar bear mini would like a word with you.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The polar bear mini would like a word with you.

Did you have to remind me of that? Not only highly limited by RNG, it’s also time-limited also . . .