GW1 Nostalgia -- Why not just PLAY GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

When I have nostalgia for GW1, I go play GW1. Really. I still gave fun with it sometimes.

I like both games. Why don’t the “I want GW2 to be like GW1” folk just go play GW1?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Because they promised GW2 would take everything we loved about GW1 and use in GW2?

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I play GW1. But GW2 is fun too!

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Because ANET abandoned the development of GW1 to make a better game based on the same principles – no grind for stats, cosmetic endgame, good and engaging pvp.

Instead why dont the people that want vertical progression and all that go back to WoW?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because they promised GW2 would take everything we loved about GW1 and use in GW2?

Which is all very personal, and anyone that thought that they would take the whole GW1 and put it in GW2 is just being silly. Because that is what would have been required for them to take everything everyone loved in GW1. Since there is most likely not a single thing in GW1 that no one loved.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Sytherek.7689

Because they promised GW2 would take everything loved about GW1 and use in GW2?

So… I’m still confused. GW1 is still there. You can play it any time.

ArenaNet took nothing away from you. They just gave you more by developing a GW2.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Because ANET abandoned the development of GW1 to make a better game based on the same principles – no grind for stats, cosmetic endgame, good and engaging pvp.

Instead why dont the people that want vertical progression and all that go back to WoW?

well said and true sonic!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Because gw2 was supposed to be an upgrade, not an entirely new game of questionable merit.

Edit: and why not play gw1? Because it’s dead obviously, why even bother asking.

(edited by milo.6942)

lordkrall.7241

Because gw2 was supposed to be an upgrade, not a new game entirely of questionable merit.

And it is an upgrade.
But maybe not an upgrade in the way you wanted it to be.

What would be the point in spending a massive amount of money to create a game they have already created but with nicer graphics?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

milo.6942

Because gw2 was supposed to be an upgrade, not a new game entirely of questionable merit.

And it is an upgrade.
But maybe not an upgrade in the way you wanted it to be.

What would be the point in spending a massive amount of money to create a game they have already created but with nicer graphics?

Stop. It’s not an upgrade, it’s a new game entirely based in the same world.

lordkrall.7241

Which is basically an upgrade of the earlier game, but with new and better technology and bigger appeal to a wider playerbase.

Or are you really going to suggest that said upgrade you assumed it would be would have been an identical game to GW1 but with nicer graphics?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

milo.6942

Which is basically an upgrade of the earlier game, but with new and better technology and bigger appeal to a wider playerbase.

Or are you really going to suggest that said upgrade you assumed it would be would have been an identical game to GW1 but with nicer graphics?

Just stop. It is a different game. Leave it at that so those that like it don’t have to hear me (and others) list all the things that are different.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I wish I had never played GW1 and then I could enjoy it from the start! But, I put well over 10,000 hours into GW1 — it’s played out. I didn’t (and don’t) expect GW2 to be the same as GW1. although I had believed the developers would keep the same philosophies in place.

Sometimes I’m also nostalgic about Baldurs Gate, Arcanum, heck even Gabriel Knight and Kings Quest… But I’m not going to leave GW2 to go back and play them simply because I enjoyed them, a lot, at the time they were popular.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

lordkrall.7241

Of course it is a different game, no one is denying that. Which is also why this thread does have its merits.
If you don’t like this game, you can go back and play GW1, simple as that.
And if you complain about it not receiving any more updates, then maybe GW1 wasn’t as awesome of a game as you try to claim (since you apparently can’t play it without new updates)?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

To few players.

Favorite formats dead (FA JQ).

Aged mechanics and graphics. (No jump, no moving casts)

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I wish I had never played GW1 and then I could enjoy it from the start! But, I put well over 10,000 hours into GW1 — it’s played out. I didn’t (and don’t) expect GW2 to be the same as GW1. although I had believed the developers would keep the same philosophies in place.

Sometimes I’m also nostalgic about Baldurs Gate, Arcanum, heck even Gabriel Knight and Kings Quest… But I’m not going to leave GW2 to go back and play them simply because I enjoyed them, a lot, at the time they were popular.

Wow…Gabriel Knight and Kings Quest…that really does bring me back /nostalgia. To be perfectly fair, I only played GW1 at release, and even though only sank about 200 hours into the game. I thought it was great, but it never hooked me the way other MMOs did.

I think Anet struck a good balance and widened the player base exponentially, but at the same time I can see how GW1 hardcores are upset, because this really is a completely different game. Anyone who has played GW1 knows that.

Some stuff GW1 did better, some stuff GW2 does better, but either way what we each view as “better” is entirely subjective to begin with. If you measure it from a completely logical business standpoint, GW2 has been a massive success and a successful continuation of the series.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Because it’s antiquated. Since I occasionally have the sentiment you’ve mentioned, I can at least explain where it comes from.

First, I don’t want to play Guild Wars 1 anymore. After sinking 2000+ hours into it, leveling up 8 characters, beating the campaigns a dozen times through, I’m just spent on it. Yet, the ideas the game presented were valuable and should be ensconced in Guild Wars 2 as its ancestor.

1. The skill system in Guild Wars 1 was unrivaled, in my opinion. One could spend hours pouring over the skills and potential synergy between them. There was so much creativity, and the attribute system only enhanced that.

How could Guild Wars 2 address this?

They could first allow more flexibility in the trait system. I can’t see reason why we’re not allowed to adjust are traits up and down – that’s basic functionality. The ability to save gear and skill templates would also be greatly desired. I’d love to see gear function the same way it does in PVP, but that’s pushing it. The skill system in GW2 needs to have the same flexibility seen in GW1 and it falls short of that for me. There’s always this pervasive feeling of restraint among the skills, as if they don’t want a class to be fully sufficient at anything – healing, damage, control. The lack of specialization in this game hinders the variety that was seen in the first game.

2. The trinity. I really believe that ArenaNet threw the baby out with bathwater by removing the trinity ( and questing, but that’s a whole ’nother topic). I loved healing, on both my Ritualist and Monk. I had hoped the Monk to carry over, but it was reincarnated as the Guardian. They could have done a lot with the classes by allowing full on healing – the Guardian, the Elementalist, and the Necromancer all naturally lend themselves to healing.

They need to allow specialization, remove the restraints, and allow characters to actually play the way they want. All of the classes at this point are so close to each other that there is lack of coordination, leaving the game feeling chaotic or zergy during group content.

3. Quests and Missions.
Call me old fashioned, but I love quests. The way the original game presented them was fantastic, and you got to experience the lore more vividly. The profession each had their own classes, and I loved how the ascension worked. It really pulled me in. The missions were great for groups as well, they’re far superior to the inconsequential personal story.

Allow quests and mission to flesh out storylines, particular the heavy hitters of lore. The factions in particular could benefit from mission arcs and daily quests, player could even work towards a dwelling in the base of their faction. There could be research quests by the Pact or minigames in the cities. There needs to be more concrete gameplay than Hearts. It’s not enough.

Sytherek.7689

Chess, checkers, poker, retro gaming… I can name a lot of “old” games that haven’t been “updated”, yet which are quite popular and still played. GOG.com is an example of people playing lots of older computer games.

GW2 is an improved GW1. I’m willing to bet there is a lot of GW1 code in GW2… the engines are quite similar. And comparing a 1.2yo game to one with 4 times as much development is a recipe for disappointment.

GW1 wouldn’t be dead if all the complainers went back to play it. If there are so many GW2 complainers, couldn’t they prove GW1 is a better by massively playing the original game?

In fact, doesn’t the emptiness of the old game prove that GW2 is better for the vast majority of players?

milo.6942

Of course it is a different game, no one is denying that. Which is also why this thread does have its merits.
If you don’t like this game, you can go back and play GW1, simple as that.
And if you complain about it not receiving any more updates, then maybe GW1 wasn’t as awesome of a game as you try to claim (since you apparently can’t play it without new updates)?

You are just full circle now back to op, pls stop and read my first reply.

Sytherek.7689

Because gw2 was supposed to be an upgrade, not an entirely new game of questionable merit.

I always thought GW2 was supposed to be a new game.

Where did they say it was just going to be an upgrade?

milo.6942

with the name

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

lordkrall.7241

with the name

So Dune 2 is a adventure game then? I was always under the impression that it was an RTS, but then again, I haven’t played it for about 6 months.

Or what about World of Warcraft? I am rather sure that is not an RTS, but with your logic it should have been, due to the name.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

I remember they said something about the game would be about fun and not grind.

So maybe this is GW2A the game for those that find grinding fun.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This.

Posted by: christiniae.7834

christiniae.7834

Because we want to know what happened to people and places we loved. I still play hoping one day I’ll find out

lordkrall.7241

This.

So GW1 wasn’t actually good enough to stand on its own then, and lost the appeal when they no longer developed new stuff for it?
Wouldn’t that suggest that the game wasn’t as superior as people want to suggest?
I mean, I can still play games that haven’t seen development for 10 years without much trouble, but apparently you guys, who want GW2 to be GW1 was better graphics, can’t play GW1 due to it not having active development.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

So… I’m still confused. GW1 is still there. You can play it any time.

ArenaNet took nothing away from you. They just gave you more by developing a GW2.

Well this is where you are dead wrong. They took everything away from the GW1 players. An MMO without continuous development is a dead MMO. They killed off GW1 for GW2.

But that was ok as they promised us a better Guild Wars. Not a better WoW as 99% of other MMOs did. And that s exactly why so many of us are disappointed, angry or just sad as a game that was supposed to be a revolution slowly and surely, over the course of the year became just as bland and boring as any other MMO.

The “living world” besides a few farm spots is dead. Most events are constantly in their fail state. The living story is horrible and the lore is in the trashcan. WvW is a lagzergfest of buff fields and blobs and dont even get me started on sPvP.
Sure some things are improving but as a whole from a standpoint of a GW1 player that believes in the core principles set in that game GW2 is a gigantic disappointment.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Destai.9603

This.

So GW1 wasn’t actually good enough to stand on its own then, and lost the appeal when they no longer developed new stuff for it?
Wouldn’t that suggest that the game wasn’t as superior as people want to suggest?
I mean, I can still play games that haven’t seen development for 10 years without much trouble, but apparently you guys, who want GW2 to be GW1 was better graphics, can’t play GW1 due to it not having active development.

So people are supposed to enjoy the same content forever? They’re not supposed to want more because they actually enjoy the setting. A game’s quality isn’t invalidated because people want new content in it – if anything it speaks to the quality and legacy of the existing content that they want it in the same flavour. It’s nice that you can still play a game and not expect or want new content. Some of us actually wanted Guild Wars 1 to continue. At least its additions were permanent. At least we can revisit those additions at anytime.

Azala Yar.7693

But that was ok as they promised us a better Guild Wars. Not a better WoW as 99% of other MMOs did. And that s exactly why so many of us are disappointed, angry or just sad as a game that was supposed to be a revolution slowly and surely, over the course of the year became just as bland and boring as any other MMO.

I agree with you completely.

It was supposed to be a refreshing change to the normal run of the mill MMOs, but in the end it just towed the line.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

This.

So people are supposed to enjoy the same content forever? They’re not supposed to want more because they actually enjoy the setting. A game’s quality isn’t invalidated because people want new content in it – if anything it speaks to the quality and legacy of the existing content that they want it in the same flavour. It’s nice that you can still play a game and not expect or want new content. Some of us actually wanted Guild Wars 1 to continue. At least its additions were permanent. At least we can revisit those additions at anytime.

Enjoying the same content for a year and a half with GW2 is different somehow from enjoying the content on GW1 for extended periods of time?

It’s not like they have added anything tangible to the game permanently, in all aspects the game really has changed very little since release.

I still go back and play EQ all the time. Same zones. Same alts. Same everything, for 14 years. I haven’t seen the past 4 expansions worth of raids, because I’m still in the old content. Just because a game is no longer developing new content does not mean the old is automatically no fun anymore.

Either way, I feel like GW1 development should of continued till they shut down the servers. It makes no sense to not touch the game at all.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Chess, checkers, poker, retro gaming… I can name a lot of “old” games that haven’t been “updated”, yet which are quite popular and still played.

Will you compare yearbooks to Facebook next?

GW2 is an improved GW1.

Your definition of “improved” is rather dubious.

GW1 wouldn’t be dead if all the complainers went back to play it. If there are so many GW2 complainers, couldn’t they prove GW1 is a better by massively playing the original game?

How often still do you play your favourite video games that haven’t been updated in years?

In fact, doesn’t the emptiness of the old game prove that GW2 is better for the vast majority of players?

Let’s see again when GW2 has almost reached the 9-year mark like GW1, shall we?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

OP – that’s my thinking. Every so often I find myself wanting to play the original Guild Wars, so I open it and play it.

I usually end up with mixed feelings – remembering why I love it and some things that I wish were in GW2 (mainly fairly minor things like being able to keep your bank open anywhere in town and being able to put skills on my bar in any order I want) but I also end up frustrated by a lot of things that are in GW2 and I wish were in the first game as well. Usually the end result is that I remember why my plan to play both equally rapidly turned into playing GW2 far, far more.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sytherek.7689

Chess, checkers, poker, retro gaming… I can name a lot of “old” games that haven’t been “updated”, yet which are quite popular and still played.

Will you compare yearbooks to Facebook next?

GW2 is an improved GW1.

Your definition of “improved” is rather dubious.

How often still do you play your favourite video games that haven’t been updated in years?

Let’s see again when GW2 has almost reached the 9-year mark like GW1, shall we?

GW2 is vastly improved over GW1 in my opinion. Just because our opinions differ does not make either of us wrong.

Yes, I play a lot of old games over again. It’s called GOG.com — I just played thru Hexen II again, and am working my way thru Icewind Dale atm.

Judge GW2 against GW1 at the same age.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Because it’s antiquated. Since I occasionally have the sentiment you’ve mentioned, I can at least explain where it comes from.

First, I don’t want to play Guild Wars 1 anymore. After sinking 2000+ hours into it, leveling up 8 characters, beating the campaigns a dozen times through, I’m just spent on it. Yet, the ideas the game presented were valuable and should be ensconced in Guild Wars 2 as its ancestor.

1. The skill system in Guild Wars 1 was unrivaled, in my opinion. One could spend hours pouring over the skills and potential synergy between them. There was so much creativity, and the attribute system only enhanced that.

They could first allow more flexibility in the trait system. I can’t see reason why we’re not allowed to adjust are traits up and down – that’s basic functionality. The ability to save gear and skill templates would also be greatly desired. I’d love to see gear function the same way it does in PVP, but that’s pushing it. The skill system in GW2 needs to have the same flexibility seen in GW1 and it falls short of that for me. There’s always this pervasive feeling of restraint among the skills, as if they don’t want a class to be fully sufficient at anything – healing, damage, control. The lack of specialization in this game hinders the variety that was seen in the first game.

2. The trinity. I really believe that ArenaNet threw the baby out with bathwater by removing the trinity ( and questing, but that’s a whole ’nother topic). I loved healing, on both my Ritualist and Monk. I had hoped the Monk to carry over, but it was reincarnated as the Guardian. They could have done a lot with the classes by allowing full on healing – the Guardian, the Elementalist, and the Necromancer all naturally lend themselves to healing.

They need to allow specialization, remove the restraints, and allow characters to actually play the way they want. All of the classes at this point are so close to each other that there is lack of coordination, leaving the game feeling chaotic or zergy during group content.

3. Quests and Missions.
Call me old fashioned, but I love quests. The way the original game presented them was fantastic, and you got to experience the lore more vividly. The profession each had their own classes, and I loved how the ascension worked. It really pulled me in. The missions were great for groups as well, they’re far superior to the inconsequential personal story.

Allow quests and mission to flesh out storylines, particular the heavy hitters of lore. The factions in particular could benefit from mission arcs and daily quests, player could even work towards a dwelling in the base of their faction. There could be research quests by the Pact or minigames in the cities. There needs to be more concrete gameplay than Hearts. It’s not enough.

I pretty much feel like this.

Destai.9603

This.

Enjoying the same content for a year and a half with GW2 is different somehow from enjoying the content on GW1 for extended periods of time?

It’s not like they have added anything tangible to the game permanently, in all aspects the game really has changed very little since release.

I still go back and play EQ all the time. Same zones. Same alts. Same everything, for 14 years. I haven’t seen the past 4 expansions worth of raids, because I’m still in the old content. Just because a game is no longer developing new content does not mean the old is automatically no fun anymore.

Either way, I feel like GW1 development should of continued till they shut down the servers. It makes no sense to not touch the game at all.

It was certainly a sad moment when they stopped development on GW1. There’s so much there to expand upon. I would have love to have seen Utopia, rather than what it’s been morphed into in GW2.

In regards to time time, A year and a half is one thing – it’s still a young game, even if they are far overdue for an expansion. GW1 hasn’t seen anything since 2008. Even Everquest 1 gets updates, GW1 has been abandoned and during its prime.

I think people are upset that GW1 did stop development and their hopes didn’t transfer. At least with the Everquest series both games are still developed and worked on.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Most of GW1 doesn’t need other players though. Heroes.

Also, it still has an active population, believe it or not. I still see other players once in awhile in mission outposts.

The only thing different is Spamadan has 2 districts instead of 6 and JQ/FA are dead (mostly because people have no need to get GWAMM anymore since HoM rewards cap at 30/50)

There are no old veteran guild war 1 staffs anymore; rpbert H left/quit for standing up for the ranger class, many rage quit, fired for defending the old tradition of class balance, anti-injustice, anti-favoritism, anti-tyranny and anti-oppression against the less capable class.

What we have now is a new tradition which consists of; Favoritism, Injustice, Oppression to the less capable class, Elitism and Tyranny by the Op classes including their mechanics and their leaders.

Don’t pretend you know ANET.. At least hear Robert Hrouda’s side of the story before you speak on his behalf.

I do not pretend I know, I know because it is the truth.

Have you worked for ArenaNet?

Think they just know the TRUTH which is so much better than reality.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Judge GW2 against GW1 at the same age.

Are you sure you want to do that?

In February, GW2 will have been out the same amount of time as the 3rd GW1 campaign release time. And with a staff not nearly as big as GW2. Yet, there is arguably more content, although GW1 gameplay is slower so maybe that accounts for some of it.

As for the topic at hand, I would argue the following point:

It’s actually just a few things that GW2 has which GW1 players really wanted/needed: The mobile combat(dodging, jumping, attack-while-moving, perhaps swimming), the ease-of-use features(TP, bank accessibility, etc), the modern graphics, and the open-world aspect of it(although I’d argue for an option for instanced “hard-mode” zones).

That’s pretty much it. That’s what I’d bet they were expecting when they thought of GW2. Most of everything else they’d rather not have changed at all…which just so happens to be the very things GW2 gets negative feedback on. Coincidence?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Good grief. Yes, one can play old games. But do they? You regularly play 6-10 year old games that have had no development in that time, and which you have played for many thousands of hours? If so, you’re a rare sort. If not, then you’re making an invalid comparison. Either way, the comparison is a failure.

No game that offers little to nothing new for 6 years plus is going to hold the attention of a player-base indefinitely. If ANet stopped development on GW2 for a similar period, most of its fans would move on.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Also, the major staff changes came with Nightfall/EotN. I would challenge anyone to find one or two current staff members(besides the prez) that have been here since Proph or Factions.

Edit: found one at least, Bobby Stein arrived during Factions. :P

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

This.

^^^^^^^^^^

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

If they released a new expansion for GW1, I would play that. I played GW1 fanatically for 5 years, so I’ve had my fill of the current content in the game.

GW2 is actually GW3. The original GW2 was the things we loved about GW1 in a persistent world, but sometime in 2008-2009 they pretty much junked everything and started over, getting rid of things like secondary professions and adding things like fixed weapon skills.

I had fun in the first 1-2 months after release exploring the GW2 world, but that was enough for that game. It has almost nothing that I loved about GW1 and that kept me playing for 5 years. I still check in from time to time to see if the declining revenue will ever get them to radically change the game’s direction like they did in 2008-2009. In the meantime I have found many of the things that I loved about GW1 in an aRPG format (admittedly not my first choice of format): Path of Exile.

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Because we want a wow clone that isn’t wow.
We mmo hoppers are in guild wars 2 because we want something different.
Something we wont get from guild wars 2 because guild wars 2 is also a theme park mmo.
What mmo hoppers want is a sandbox mmo.
Eve is the only big example of a sandbox mmo, but for whatever reason it doesn’t appeal to us because it’s scifi because of rumors because it’s not magic and fantasy and medeiveal and the list goes on.

(edited by An Oak Knob.1275)

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

Its always funny too observe when someone knows he’s argumentatively moving on thin ice and turns to the chaep rhetorical mechanic to make a counter statement by pretending to be on the grade of a sesame target group viewer and making very stu…erm simple questions in hope the ‘opponent’ will provide him with something he can then counter by asking another simplistic question.

Sooooo…why is this game called Guild Wars 2 again? ;-)

This won’t end well…

Azala Yar.7693

Maybe, because they’re not very imaginative?

An Oak Knob.1275

Its always funny too observe when someone knows he’s argumentatively moving on thin ice and turns to the chaep rhetorical mechanic to make a counter statement by pretending to be on the grade of a sesame target group viewer and making very stu…erm simple questions in hope the ‘opponent’ will provide him with something he can then counter by asking another simplistic question.

Because in the lore there was some big race guilds that faught the other race guilds (Ascalonian human empire vs Supressed Charr race)

But in reality it’s named Guild wars 2 for solely marketing, because putting a 2 on already existing game title attracts that games already present playerbase aswell as new costumers.

lordkrall.7241

Because in the lore there was some big race guilds that faught the other race guilds (Ascalonian human empire vs Supressed Charr race)

But in reality it’s named Guild wars 2 for solely marketing, because putting a 2 on already existing game title attracts that games already present playerbase aswell as new costumers.

If you are going to be silly at least make sure you know what you are talking about.
The Guild Wars had nothing at all to do with the Charr.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

An Oak Knob.1275

If you are going to be silly at least make sure you know what you are talking about.
The Guild Wars had nothing at all to do with the Charr.

Whatever never claimed to be an expert on the shallow lore of this mmo.
Though I know the reason was something something something war between some factions.

Azala Yar.7693

That can work both ways, attracting people that played GW1 and keeping away people that did not like GW1 that much.

A game that does not follow the original in design, should really have a different name.

An Oak Knob.1275

That can work both ways, attracting people that played GW1 and keeping away people that did not like GW1 that much.

A game that does not follow the original in design, should really have a different name.

But guild wars 2 doesn’t because marketing decison.