GW1 question here...

GW1 question here...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: MAUS HOUS.8047

MAUS HOUS.8047

I just watched a few of WoodenPotatoes videos about lore in the Guild Wars universe and I find it to be very creative and original in alot of places, my only gripe tho is that alot of the lore and stuff is in GW1. I do own GW1 factions but have never played it due to me buying it along time ago and never really got into the game. I was wondering if it’s possible to solo GW1 and all the expansions so I can learn the lore and maybe get some hall of monument rewards aswell? Or is it totally party dependant?

Holla. At. Me.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

You can play Original Guild Wars solo all the way through. All the missions can be done and the side quests as well.

You might get some Hall of Monument points, but to get the higher points you will need to grind as hell, and it can take months to get it all.

Some parts might be too hard to solo though, but that’s nothing to worry about if you’re only after the lore.

GW1 question here...

MAUS HOUS.8047

You can play Original Guild Wars solo all the way through. All the missions can be done and the side quests as well.

You might get some Hall of Monument points, but to get the higher points you will need to grind as hell, and it can take months to get it all.

Some parts might be too hard to solo though, but that’s nothing to worry about if you’re only after the lore.

That’s brilliant news! Currently installing GW1 now, you mentioned some parts which may be too hard to solo, are they dungeons or something? And just to clarify, all side quests and main story quests are completely viable to solo definately?

Holla. At. Me.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That’s brilliant news! Currently installing GW1 now, you mentioned some parts which may be too hard to solo, are they dungeons or something? And just to clarify, all side quests and main story quests are completely viable to solo definately?

Well “solo” since you can always fill out the rest of your party with henchmen/heroes(if you have Nightfall or Eye of the North). They’ve been improved a bit since you can control their positioning now. No more having your monk henchman charge into a horde of enemies to combat res someone … unless that is what you want.

Heroes are much better than henchmen though so if you are interested in all of the lore you might as well grab Nightfall and Eye of the North as well so you can get the heroes. If you do get Eye of the North you might as well get the Platinum edition which also includes Prophecies and it’s still the same price.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Just to clarify a few points.

The original Guild Wars (the prophecies campaign) was the one that started in Ascalon and worked it way through to Kryta etc.
Factions was the second campaign and was set in Cantha.
Nightfall was the third campaign and was set in Elona.
Neither Cantha or Elona are accessable in GW2 at the moment.
It is possible to take characters created in Faction of Nightfall to Lions Arch and explore from there, but I am not sure if they can complete the Prophecies campaign or not, not playing Prophecies might mean you still miss a lot of the lore.

The Eye of the North was an expansion which could be used with any of the 3 campains. The hall of Monuments is only reachable with Eye of the North but you can complete a campain then start EotN and work on the monument points retrospectively.

Hope this helps.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You’d have an extremely hard time soloing it in the conventional sense. But what you can do is fill your party with heroes/henchmen (NPCs). Heroes are only available in Nightfall and Eye of the North and can be customised just like your character so you can give them any build you want. Henchmen have fixed builds but are available in every outpost.

Also any character can do all the missions in any campaign, no matter which one they started in. What they can’t do is all the main quests, since when you switch campaigns you start part way through the story. So you’ll need 3 characters to do the full story in each campaign, but after you get the hang of the game it doesn’t take long.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I think there are also people still playing GW1 – not many, but some. So you may not even have to solo (with henchmen and/or heroes) everything.

Polka will never die

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

Just to clarify a few points.

It is possible to take characters created in Faction of Nightfall to Lions Arch and explore from there, but I am not sure if they can complete the Prophecies campaign or not, not playing Prophecies might mean you still miss a lot of the lore.
Hope this helps.

Prophecies can indeed be completed by any toon made in the other campaigns. Outside (Cantha, Elona) toons just can’t go through pre searing. OP: All 3 games and the expansion can be solo’d completely with heroes only. Definitely recommend getting Nightfall, and Eotn (HoM) for the heroes and Prophecies for the Lore! Rune them up and build their skill bars and enjoy all the games GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

(edited by Tasida.4085)

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

I just watched a few of WoodenPotatoes videos about lore in the Guild Wars universe and I find it to be very creative and original in alot of places, my only gripe tho is that alot of the lore and stuff is in GW1. I do own GW1 factions but have never played it due to me buying it along time ago and never really got into the game. I was wondering if it’s possible to solo GW1 and all the expansions so I can learn the lore and maybe get some hall of monument rewards aswell? Or is it totally party dependant?

There are usually people in the capital cities(Kaineng center, ShingJae Monastery, maybe even Cavalon and House zu Heltzer) if not the smaller outposts. Ask for help in chat and you may still find someone to form a party with you. There will also be people at Embark beach and Great temple of Balthazar. Zaishen mission days will see a lot of people in the relevant outpost, but most of them will want to do hard mode. Ask anyway and you might find someone to help you. I did all the factions missions except one with heros and henchmen.

You will need Eye of the North for HoM rewards. Also you can get heros
through EotN.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

GW1 question here...

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

GW2 lore is mainly based off Eye of the North expansion in GW, which is based off the original Prophecies campaign. Factions and Nightfall are more like spinoffs.

All the campaigns are worth playing, but if there is a limiting factor such as playing time or money you want to spend, then I would focus on Prophecies -> EotN since those events are most relevant to GW2 lore.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think there are also people still playing GW1 – not many, but some. So you may not even have to solo (with henchmen and/or heroes) everything.

Whenever I go back to it I see a lot of people. Not as many as there used to be but definitely enough to say the game is still going strong.

It helps to play on the American districts though. I hung on in the European ones until GW2 came out (even before then lots of people in Europe used to insist on using the American districts) but then switched and it did help a lot.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

GW1 question here...

MAUS HOUS.8047

It helps to play on the American districts though. I hung on in the European ones until GW2 came out (even before then lots of people in Europe used to insist on using the American districts) but then switched and it did help a lot.

Hmm I may have to do that, just to try it out atleast, usually having a high ping only matters if youre playing a first person shooter in my past experience, since reactions matter alot but in RPG’s reaction times are not really an issue so high ping shouldnt really hurt the gameplay too much at all. Even if it does I can still use the NPC’s in my party on the EU servers.

Holla. At. Me.

GW1 question here...

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

You guys forgot to mention that in order to create effective build he needs to capture/unlock skills. You also need access to 3 campaigns for to capture those skills. Ex if your build requires a skill from nightfall which you dont have access to then you cant use it cause you dont have the campaign. So its wise to buy a trilogy and I would recommend to buy skill pack from their ingame store so all the skills will be available to you and saves the pain of unlocking/capture it. Just buy a load of skill tomes normal and elite to get it right away. Then try to use Gw pvx wiki for builds for you and your heroes copy the template and load it ingame ( such convenience we dont have in Gw2 lol).

I still have loads of skill tomes, unused minis gold In gw1 just add me ign in Gw1 Wing Destroyer might able to help you in game. I can also show you how to lvl your toon from 1-20 in couple of hrs….

GW1 question here...

Posted by: Loki.8034

Loki.8034

Soloing in GW1 is mostly about……running, wiping and the dreaded DP (Death Penalties)

If you cannot find a party then you can hench it and then its mostly about…WTF!!..henches dying, healer hench stops healing to perform a 4 sec res which leaves her open to enemy attack and dies…leads to…running, wiping and the dreaded DP (Death Penalties)

Expect this if you have just Factions, but if you get Nightfall/GW:EN (Eye of the North) expanstion then you get heroes, which you can control. Think of them as pets that you can customized.