GW1 still worth it?

GW1 still worth it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: artcreator.4859

artcreator.4859

Hello, My question is guild war 1 still worth to buy and play? I really enjoy the lore of GW2 so that may help but do people still play GW1? thank you

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

since you can get heroes and henchmen do you really need people?

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

If you enjoy GW2, it really doesn’t make a big difference in if you’ll like gw1

Theyre VERY different games, believe me.

It’s a good game, but it has aged.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

GW1 still worth it?

artcreator.4859

I didnt know this xD

GW1 still worth it?

artcreator.4859

How so?

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

How so?

give it a youtube search :P

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s a very different game. In fights it’s one of the old style, “stand there and duke it out.” There’s normally not much to any moving around. Your char stands in one spot and throws out spells or does melee damage. There is also no jumping or swimming.

However it can be much more interesting gameplay as it can use skills such as interrupts and hexes where you can punish the enemy either for acting or not acting.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Yes. Gw1 > Gw2. Some things will never change!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it is a terrific game, but so far from contemporary expectations and habits you will probably have a hard time getting into it. I tried it some time back for nostalgia´s sake (played it from launch for several years), just couldn´t get back into the movement restrictions, invisible walls etc. But as it is just a few bucks, by all means try it.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

it is a terrific game, but so far from contemporary expectations and habits you will probably have a hard time getting into it. I tried it some time back for nostalgia´s sake (played it from launch for several years), just couldn´t get back into the movement restrictions, invisible walls etc. But as it is just a few bucks, by all means try it.

You forgot the most important movement restriction, the inability to jump. I just can’t get used to that any more

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes. Well you can get through the core stories, but don’t expect to be doing too many dungeons and stuff.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

GW1 is extremely different. The ability to literally build an 8 player party EXACTLY how you want via heroes will lead to hundreds of hours brewing and min/maxing. Unlike GW2, dungeons and elite areas had obvious counterbuilds due to the trinity present.

Mesmers in particular were very different back then. They were pure control illusionists and dying to one was 100% your own fault since many mes skills didn’t even do damage to you unless you caused the specific trigger to happen (by moving, casting or attacking)

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

It’s a very different game. In fights it’s one of the old style, “stand there and duke it out.” There’s normally not much to any moving around. Your char stands in one spot and throws out spells or does melee damage. There is also no jumping or swimming.

It’s certainly weird going back to a game that doesn’t allow you such freedom of movement. That said, definitely worth playing out if the OP is open minded. I went back to GW1 on a new account for a laugh a couple of months ago, after no playing it for 4-5 years and had an absolute blast. Starting with nothing and unlocking everything my heroes needed was so much fun. I initially intended to just play through Factions having had an itch to go back and see Cantha again, but once I finished that, I found myself completing Prophecies, Nightfall, Eye of the North, Sorrow’s Embrace, and unlocking the first 20 items in the HoM just for fun.

GW1 still worth it?

Algreg.3629

It’s certainly weird going back to a game that doesn’t allow you such freedom of movement. That said, definitely worth playing out if the OP is open minded. I went back to GW1 on a new account for a laugh a couple of months ago, after no playing it for 4-5 years and had an absolute blast. Starting with nothing and unlocking everything my heroes needed was so much fun. I initially intended to just play through Factions having had an itch to go back and see Cantha again, but once I finished that, I found myself completing Prophecies, Nightfall, Eye of the North, Sorrow’s Embrace, and unlocking the first 20 items in the HoM just for fun.

yes, Anet of old got the progression thing right – you could spend months optimizing your merry men and having a blast with it. They will never again unfortunately, as progression is bad in the casual market.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

GW1 is several times better than GW2.
You can also do virtually every content with heroes, so don’t let that discourage you. It has aged? I would say it has not. Graphics wise maybe, but it’s not terrible and the gameplay, story make up for it.

“I cannot jump.” This makes me cringe every time…. As if the ability to jump would make a game good.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

GW1 is a great game, but do not go into it thinking it will be anything like GW2, they are worlds apart, infact id go as far to say that the only thing they share in common is the name of the game,

GW1 still worth it?

Algreg.3629

GW1 is several times better than GW2.
You can also do virtually every content with heroes, so don’t let that discourage you. It has aged? I would say it has not. Graphics wise maybe, but it’s not terrible and the gameplay, story make up for it.

“I cannot jump.” This makes me cringe every time…. As if the ability to jump would make a game good.

well, I dislike GW2 a lot, but ultimately, such statements only represent personal taste and preferences. A game can be the best game and the most crappy game ever at the same time, as these categories are solely based on opinion in the end. There simply is no objective measurement for art or entertainment, people have been trying to find one for 2k+ years now, without much of an success. Spot on with the jump part, that seems strange.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

As everyone else has said, GW1 is a fantastic game as long as you understand that it is different from GW2.

It’s true that there are less people than there used to be playing, but you can just join a guild if you need help.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

Yes. Well you can get through the core stories, but don’t expect to be doing too many dungeons and stuff.

Sorry, but that’s not really true at all, you can get through even the hardest PvE stuff with just heroes, since you can fill your party with them. Just check http://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/PvX_wiki for the right build

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sorry, but that’s not really true at all, you can get through even the hardest PvE stuff with just heroes, since you can fill your party with them. Just check http://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/PvX_wiki for the right build

I’ve soloed every dungeon with a party of heroes, and just about every dungeon in hard mode. It’s doable without a group.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I discovered GW1 because of GW2 and slowly playing through it, I love it. It’s a different kind of game (while also having similarities), but the atmosphere is the same, Tyria FTW.

I think graphics wise it has aged quite well. It’s obviously not as superomgpretty as GW2, but I think it looks good. I’d say give it a try!

Though the camera sometimes drives me crazy, the way it tends to creep up or down while hitting a wall when zooming out, aaaaaaargh!

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Actually, I revisted it just 2 days ago simply to open up more points for the hall of heros which allow you exclusive skins etc for your GW2 characters.

I was really surprised at how busy Kamadan was. It was a lovely game and has so many features I wish GW2 would implement, but GW2 does indeed make it feel very dated. As you expect.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Yes. Gw1 > Gw2. Some things will never change!

So far ^this, the only improvement on the fork are the graphics and u see players outside outposts.
It went from cooperative-rpg to mmorpg’ish.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can do every dungeon with heroes (even on HM) and the majority of the elite areas, if not all with them, as well.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Actually, I revisted it just 2 days ago simply to open up more points for the hall of heros which allow you exclusive skins etc for your GW2 characters.

I was really surprised at how busy Kamadan was. It was a lovely game and has so many features I wish GW2 would implement, but GW2 does indeed make it feel very dated. As you expect.

I recently went back to GW1 for a bit as well, working towards finishing off some old titles and I was surprised just how active the game was, even Kaineng Center was relatively busy. If you’re worried about playing alone, don’t be, the game still has a pretty strong community and lots of active guilds that would be happy to have you.

Mechanically GW1 is of an older style to be sure but honestly for a 10 year old game it’s aged better than many. Graphically as well, the game is still beautiful, Anet has always had an amazing art team.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

It’s still got an active community, check out Guild Wars: A New Hope on Facebook.
Just the other day I got Grandmaster Elonian Cartographer and working on Tyria now

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I still delve in to get those last few HoM points. Its different and aged, but still absolutely playable. The stories in the first 2 campaigns are arguably worse than what we get here (in terms of story construction rather than the actual story arcs), but it is all still very enjoyable.

And completely soloable in almost everything pve with the ground breaking addition of heroes

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I gave gw1 a try a few years ago. I just didn’t like it. Was very…strange. I know it existed as a game that didn’t have a uber popular trendy role model to piggy back off of, which is why that first generation of mmorpg games were full of classic games, many very unique from eachother…and that is exactly what made it such a popular game I think.

But for me, someone who got into mmorpgs with Anarchy Online….it felt too constrained, too much instancing, I wasn’t a huge fan of storyline content and it seemed gw1 was all about instanced story and arena style pvp.

If I can remember the biggest turn off was the restricted movement and having to do instanced story content. It lacked the ability for me to jump in game and run off looking for stuff to do.

I don’t remember it looking awful, which might be more related to how long ago I gave it a try than actually how good it looked.

I dunno like I said the best way to describe those first generation mmorpgs is that they didn’t have a popular trend to follow, they had to create something unique, and its why just about all the first gen mmorpgs were considered classics. Problem is, going back to them is hard, you either love them or hate them, and given the amount of time weve had conditioned to a certain exact style of mmorpg, its usually something very hard to get into unless you were there as your first mmo.

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

But for me, someone who got into mmorpgs with Anarchy Online…

We both got into the genre from the same game

GW1 still worth it?

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Opp: if you own the full gameset & expansion, than yes! The party with heroes is great, and a lot of content to explore. I would not recommend it if you only own Factions and / or the core game though…