GW1 vs GW2

GW1 vs GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

What if you had 5 players from GW1 with all the GW1 skills, attriubtes, health, armor and energy systems go up against 5 Players from GW2 with its respective skill system, no balancing as in armour or HP, just one game vs the other as is. Who would win?

With the sheer amount of DPS and armour youd think the GW2 players would win, they could one shot almost any char in GW1 but… GW1 has 100x times more skills, more creativity and clever ways to adapt to things, like a 55 monk.

(edited by bigtime.7410)

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

This is one of the most weirdest questions ever. It’s like comparing maplestory to call of duty.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

GW1 players would win . I dont care how much health you have if you cant strip enchants or hexes your gonna lose eventually

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

GW2 – because the dmg and HP pools of the chars are exponentially higher, so they’d survive forever against GW1s, and would pretty much 1-hit them.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

I’d say that GW1 even without modifications to HP would stand a fair chance. Protective Spirit and the huge amount of direct heals that a Monk can dish out, along with UA would probably tip the scales in the favour of the GW1.

HOWEVER! That being said, I really need to make my voice heard on this ‘100S OF SKILLZ!" thing I keep seeing brought up. Sure, GW1 had more skills. It also had redundant ’double’ skills that were created to bridge the gaps of the different expansions. So these skills are effectively write off.

Then you also have to remember that that a huge portion of these skills have done had huge functionality changes. I mean, nobody even started using Aura of the Lich until after it was turned into a proper MM skill. The same goes for skills like Masochism and Barbed Signet among a slew of others that only became viable skills after years into the Guild Wars Franchise.

Even then! The Game was not secretly called ‘Build Wars’. If you went into PvP and didn’t run up against a cut and paste PvX build, you likely mopped the floor with them. By the end of its run, Team builds in GW1 were so streamlined that you would get booted if you could run the current flavour of the month build. HA teams were focussed around interrupting and spikes and these team builds were often very popular builds at the time. You did not see a huge amount of theory crafting. It was a huge amount of who had the better twitch reflexes. This is why Mesmers and Rangers were so amazing, because they could shut down casters and monks if you didn’t pay attention to them.

TL;DR? I’m tired of the rose-tinted specs that I see around here every time I see ’WHERE’D ALL DEM SKILLZ GO’?

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Ya, good luck going against a 55hp monk without enchant stripping or degen.
That saying, lot of builds would not fare so well when we consider disproportionate hps and damage. And only few skills would deal big enough damage for GW1 char to even have chance to dent massive GW2 hp pools (oh wait, even the most likely ones – like Pain Inverter – had their damage capped, so no chance).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

And my sin says catch me if you can….

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

GW1 would win. They have monks. Prot monks. gg

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: ichal.9504

ichal.9504

i say whoever lose will be like “game iz bugged, unbalanced, how could we win an unbalanzed game lol”

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Biohazard.2043

Biohazard.2043

If mechanics were preserved between the two games then GW2 characters would win. Bleed stacks would overwhelm monk healing abilities and would destroy a 55 monk build as it would tick off as damage rather than degen. Get quick bleed stacks okitten5 monk faster than they can remove them and they are dead in a couple seconds.

Jade Quarry
Drexion Miasma – Human Necromancer/ Rryzer Blackpowder – Charr Engineer/
Xoorx – Asura Mesmer

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If mechanics were preserved between the two games then GW2 characters would win. Bleed stacks would overwhelm monk healing abilities and would destroy a 55 monk build as it would tick off as damage rather than degen. Get quick bleed stacks okitten5 monk faster than they can remove them and they are dead in a couple seconds.

This. 15 stacks of bleed from would pretty much kill anything from GW1.

And at the rate that conditions can be reapplied…yea.

It would be interesting seeing a shadow form build or pain inverter used.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

The HP differences would be to much for any GW1 Character. Characters with 15- 20-25k HP against chars with around 800 hp? Mesmer and Necro hexes just wont be enough. Not even the low HP farming builds would last few seconds.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

I could literally auto attack over 500 times with spiteful spirit on me and not die on my GW2 warrior.

Meanwhile my auto attack crits for 1000000 damage because you only have 60 armour.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Depends on whose condition system you use. If you gw2’s, then the gw2 character would would it with bleed stacks. If you go gw1 or each it’s respective on self, then it’ll probably just never end if the gw2 character has some sort of passive healing. And of course if enchantments=boons, then a necro would wipe them easily

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

5 thieves/mes/war vs any GW1 comp.
Match ends in 10 seconds.

Sorry but stealth, dodge, clones and burst > GW1.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

Well, if the gw1 characters are melee, then gw2 would win all day… by jumping up on top of something and shooting at them while they wish they could jump.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Druu.9604

Druu.9604

Grenth’s Balance would help a lot on this.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

bleeding / poison / burning = degen
boons = enchants

55 monk was not a pvp build.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

This is one of the most weirdest questions ever. It’s like comparing maplestory to call of duty.

better example. warcraft to world of warcraft :p

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

gw2 get the thief to focus on spikeing down there healer.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

But…they’re two different games and genre.

GW1 and GW2 are of the same franchise, fall under the same game banner, and GW2 is a sequel, rather than a spin-off.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

GW1 had healers, but did GW1 have large numbers like in GW2?
GW2 characters would 1 shot GW1 characters before healers could react.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Why compare them? They both have different systems of fighting.

Anyways, if it comes down to the “choice”, I’d go with Guild Wars 2.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

A lvl 20 can never beat a lvl 80 in whatever game you are playing thats just ridiculous.
Now if both teams where lvl 20 it would be a close match with gw2 having the advantage cause of the higher hp at lvl 20 and things like bleed stacking

GW1 vs GW2

Navzar.2938

well if conditions=degen, then that bleeding would just be reapplied instead of stacking. Anyway, since gw2 characters have such bigger numbers, the only way for the gw1 character to win would be using protective spirit. And since boons= enchant, any necro enchant removal will own said gw1 character.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

If it was 8v1 the GW1 players MIGHT stand a chance, but they still probably wouldn’t put out enough damage to be able to overcome the GW2 player’s heal.

GW1 vs GW2

Navzar.2938

If it was 8v1 the GW1 players MIGHT stand a chance, but they still probably wouldn’t put out enough damage to be able to overcome the GW2 player’s heal.

The heal could be interrupted pretty easily. It’s just passive healing that isn’t regeneration boon that would be a problem.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

If health pools and damage were closer, A team of scrubs playing GW1 chars would destroy iQ playing GW2 characters.

If health pools and damage are as they are now, iQ could be playing GW1 chars an get roflstomped by a team of GW2 scrubs.

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

My gw1 ranger wouldn’t fight my gw2 ranger….He’d just walk away slowly shaking his head….

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Well yeah, if it was scaled closer to each other’s HP’s, it would be GW1. Hexes would blow up anyone and condition removal (PnH/RC ring a bell?) would blow any condition you could pull off if they we’re scaled.

But if they are what they are right now…. then it’s obvious…

also don’t forget, unlike here, Mesmers/Rangers have very frustrating interrupts (Mesmer also have Migraine and Frustration, which really does cause a head ache….{

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Tricky. Sheer numbers come down in GW2’s favour but the enchantments and hexes from GW1 were incredibly clever. See, it wasn’t just healing that got dropped from GW2, the subversion playstyle also vanished. Skills like Panic, Price of Failure, Grenth’s Balance etc. That’s the real danger here.

Of course, how dodging would factor is a complete unknown…

GW1 vs GW2

gimmethegepgun.1284

The heal could be interrupted pretty easily. It’s just passive healing that isn’t regeneration boon that would be a problem.

Oh right, I forgot about interrupts.
Also, btw guys, even without conditions a Flamethrower engineer would trash a 55 monk.
And, well, everything else too. Only PS combined with Spirit Bond would have a chance at stopping it, and SB would have to be recast constantly.

GW1 vs GW2

LumAnth.5124

Also, btw guys, even without conditions a Flamethrower engineer would trash a 55 monk.
And, well, everything else too. Only PS combined with Spirit Bond would have a chance at stopping it, and SB would have to be recast constantly.

blinding flash/surge says hello.
Stances say hi
price of failure/ any other skill says hey

Gw1 blind is much more deadly than gw2 blind. And it can be applied seconds later thanks to somewhat short cool downs

Sorry for the typos….

GW1 vs GW2

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Stances say hi

Gw1 blind is much more deadly than gw2 blind. And it can be applied seconds later thanks to somewhat short cool downs

signet of midnight hello

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

GW1 vs GW2

gimmethegepgun.1284

Stances say hi

Well, it depends on which game’s blind mechanic is used really.

GW1 vs GW2

LumAnth.5124

Stances say hi

signet of midnight hello

how could I forget signet of midnight + plague sending :p

We also have anti time warps like shared burden, migraine, arcane conundrum, and the annoying Faintheartedness
Don’t forget Psychic Instability for that 3s KD

I’m probably beating a dead horse here since I know that if this battle were not scaled, gw2 would be a clear winner

Sorry for the typos….