GW1 was the best! Remake, remake, remake!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bloodlust.3672

Bloodlust.3672

Sorry to say, but the gameplay of Guild Wars 2 has taken the series in the wrong direction and has alienated lots of previous fans. Anet, please go back to your roots and remake the genuinely good game that is Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: Mikey.1394

Mikey.1394

Heaven forbid we have something new. If you want Guild Wars 1, play Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are 2 different games.
I have played both and I will continue to play both. I like both games for different reasons as again they are different games.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

As PyrateSilly said, gw and gw2 are 2 different games.

But ANET is working on a Remastered GW ( with gw2 Graphic and some tiny new features ).

Here you can find a short anticipation

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Yeah! Bring back those AWESOME reputations!

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

As PyrateSilly said, gw and gw2 are 2 different games.

But ANET is working on a Remastered GW ( with gw2 Graphic and some tiny new features ).

Here you can find a short anticipation

so this is the bullkitten that theyre working on, instead of fixing all the things wrong with THIS game. idiots.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

GW1-2?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: SlateSloan.3654

SlateSloan.3654

Rin is the capital!

let me entertain you

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Why would I want them to completely remake the same game? If GW2 were exactly GW1, I wouldn’t have bought the game. And I say this as someone who really loves GW1. GW2 has its imperfections and its problems, and so did GW1. Plus, it was never meant to be the same game as GW1.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Why would I want them to completely remake the same game? If GW2 were exactly GW1, I wouldn’t have bought the game. And I say this as someone who really loves GW1. GW2 has its imperfections and its problems, and so did GW1. Plus, it was never meant to be the same game as GW1.

Well, one option could have been to take GW1’s gameplay and improve it, make it more modern and up to current standards. Expand on it, keep what worked and improve what it didn’t. Evolve it, but with a complete new coat of skills to keep it refreshing as well. I think that’s the kind of thing that the OP and others like him wanted out of GW2, and to be honest, it would have been pretty sweet move too.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Well, one option could have been to take GW1’s gameplay and improve it, make it more modern and up to current standards. Expand on it, keep what worked and improve what it didn’t. Evolve it, but with a complete new coat of skills to keep it refreshing as well. I think that’s the kind of thing that the OP and others like him wanted out of GW2, and to be honest, it would have been pretty sweet move too.

Go read the reviews of the Dynasty Warriors sequels. Games who make sequels that are just “new skills”, better graphics, etc etc, are not very well received. Because all they’ve done is edited a game. They didn’t make a new game.

And that’s what ANet set out to do with GW2. Make a new game. A remastered GW1 is not a new game.

Edit to add: However, I find a lot of the Dynasty Warriors games to be incredibly fun. Even though they basically just rehash the same plot with the same basic skill set with updated graphics. So I’m not saying that a remastered GW1 wouldn’t be fun or wouldn’t be a good idea.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Go read the reviews of the Dynasty Warriors sequels. Games who make sequels that are just “new skills”, better graphics, etc etc, are not very well received. Because all they’ve done is edited a game. They didn’t make a new game.

You could take GW1’s fondation and go much further than merely “edit it”. The progression systems, the map systems, all those things could have been completely revamped. Do you think a GW1 with 80 levels, masteries, traits, events, public maps with meta events, world bosses, WvW, PvP leagues and an updated and more streamlined combat system with better technology would be an “edit”?

You can create a completely different experience based on the same foundation. Anet simply decided to go even further and remove most of what made GW1 good as well.

Anyways, I’m not saying that Anet did wrong. Tust that there’s a middleground sofmewhere between “an edit” and “a complete and unrecognizable overhaul”.

EDIT: And if we look at reviews, we can also take into consideration Dragon Quest’s reviews, which are generally high, or Final Fantasy’s reviews during its golden era (FFVII is “merely an edit” of FFVI, which is “merely an edit” of FFV, and so on), etc.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

There are success stories of MMOs that burned to the ground and made a huge come back (FFXIV). This is possible in GW2, but is it worth it? I think it will take more effort to fix a game that went through so much changes already that it is lost in glitch heaven. Better to start with a clean slate and then expand off from a formula that used to work(GW1).

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

the difference is that FFXIV was burned to the ground because it was doing horribly, GW2 is not doing that great, but not close to the FF levels.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Honestly Guildwars 1 was amazing, i’d love nothing better than a 2016 Guildwars 1, i don’t even care if nothing changed, i’d be back in there in a heart beat with better graphics and a actual population..

I’d never look back at this that’s for sure.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

GW1 and GW2 are totally different games that appeal to different people. There is a problem if a sequel is good but appeals to a different fan base than the original.

That said, I personally enjoy GW2 more than I enjoyed GW1. Other people will be the other way around and will miss the glory days of GW1 — there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s not me.

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

Sorry to say, but the gameplay of Guild Wars 2 has taken the series in the wrong direction and has alienated lots of previous fans. Anet, please go back to your roots and remake the genuinely good game that is Guild Wars 1.

Amen to everything you said.

Give us GW1 with better graphics and we are golden

Posted by: Rivindor.7258

Rivindor.7258

I actually reinstalled GW1 because of the void left by the dungeon nerfs. I was never one for open world and immediately gravitated towards the group mission type content that GW1 revolved around. But, that’s another story for another thread.

When I came back the graphics were not as bad as one might think for a game over a decade old. Some of the scenes in Presearing are just as beautiful as I remembered them, and the EOTN expansion really made the best out of their graphics engine. It took things to a whole new level than factions and nightfall had, but overall everything still looks good, even by todays standards.

I don’t think they should remake GW1. GW1 is GW1 and GW2 is good in its own way too. Probably rather controversial for me to say but, their direction with the HoT maps actually satisfied me. They created group content within the open world which appealed to me more than the core world where I could hew through hordes of enemies without even worrying I might go half health. Even so, the instanced dungeons left a void that I’m now filling with GW1

I encourage anyone who misses the game, to just go back. People are still there. Spamadan still has multiple districts.

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

Am I the only 1 who likes the graphics in gw1, they look more realistic to me than gw2, gw2 looks more cartoony to me and all the weapons and armor in gw2 that was supposed to be a replicate of the ones in gw1 just don’t look as nice as it did in gw, looks way less realistic to me. And also I think they should just hire a whole new team of developers and make updates and maybe a expansion for the original gw to bring people back to it, and give extra rewards for doing pvp to get Ab and JQ and everything populated again for those of us who prefer gw1 over gw2. That way they can have both games and make everyone happy and have a bunch of games that a lot of people like. (You could also add a gem store to gw1 that would be sweet) On another note..I would really enjoy sailing, ocean battles and fishing, but interesting fishing made into a mini game type of thing that takes effort to actually catch them(maybe a pirate theme) in some sort of game if that was at all possible for them to do……

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I loved GW1 and clocked up far too many hours but I know that if I went back to it now I’d be driven nuts by the very limiting fixed map routes and lack of jumping.

Mind you, I’d love to have heroes again.

Posted by: Jayt.5690

Jayt.5690

just bring back Ritualist Please!

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

You could take GW1’s fondation and go much further than merely “edit it”. The progression systems, the map systems, all those things could have been completely revamped. Do you think a GW1 with 80 levels, masteries, traits, events, public maps with meta events, world bosses, WvW, PvP leagues and an updated and more streamlined combat system with better technology would be an “edit”?

That would be the worst GW1 remake ever :s (especially the raised level cap)
some of those things dont fit well with gw1 base game play. a world boss would die in secs in a Gw1 like build system with a zerg of players xD (a skill like barbs would destroy it!)

i would rather just have the GW1 we already have updated (so i wont have to start over xD)