GW2 1st Year Anniversary! B-day gifts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Hey guys, as we all know, GW2’s anny is coming up at the end of next month. We waited years to be able to play this game, and now it’s turning one

So GW1 gave players bday gifts each year a character aged. These gifts always contained minis or EL tonics that were trade-able.

Do you want bday gifts to return? What should they contain? 1 per character or 1 per account? Account bound or no?

Thoughts!

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Heapheaus.5238

Heapheaus.5238

They need to contain something VALUABLE , 1 per CHARACTER , NOT BOUND.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

^ Right along what I’m hoping for.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I’d like to reverse the process. I’ve truly enjoyed playing the game and so will buy $100 in gems to support the game on their one year anniversary!

I realy think I should be thanking Anet not the other way around.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I see a key.
It … yes, I think it’s a key to a box.
What’s in the box?
Chances …

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

I’d like to reverse the process. I’ve truly enjoyed playing the game and so will buy $100 in gems to support the game on their one year anniversary!

I realy think I should be thanking Anet not the other way around.

Well you’re helping keep their butt in business. You spent $60 on their game…. there is a good reason that almost after every transaction the seller says “thanks for your business,” and at the bottom of receipts it often says “Thank You” etc.

If Guild Wars 2 was totally free 100%, then yes, I’d thank them. They make a good game, but I am not going to thank them for my business.

Then again, in the end, it’s a symbiotic relationship so Anet and the customers should thank each other.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I just want a mini claw or zhaitan myself.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

It would be nice if they kept up with the GW1 tradition. But maybe to be fair on the anniversary (despite character age) they might throw everyone a gift. Seems likely they may stray from the GW1 method of going by character age.

Either way hope there is an interesting event for August that may play into the anniversary. Minis are expected for me. Maybe a game wide world buff for exp or magic find or something too. Who knows what they could do this time around.

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

What are peoples thoughts about acct based rewards with character rewards? Acct based aesthetics year1, year 2, etc HoM style. Character rewards mini pets. Or a box at a chance for mini pets and precursors, rng I know, but too great a reward would devalue it too much.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

^— Well Account based rewards is really what the new Achievement system is all about… So you aren’t likely to get more account based rewards for the anniversary, if they did that time essentially becomes another in game currency and that is problematic.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The birthday minis were a big deal in Guild Wars 1 as that was the main way to for the average person to get one. Now, at almost one year, I already have numerous minis. Each of my 8 characters has one and I have many others in my bank. While birthday minis will be nice, since they are already common they won’t have the excitement of the Guild Wars 1 minis.

Now if they bought make some of the old minis from Guild Wars 1, especially the Celestial minis such as the Celestial Dragon, now that would be very nice. (you reading this ANet? Hint Hint ^^)

Posted by: Meili Ying.3820

Meili Ying.3820

I would love if they added more mini’s as B-day gifts like they did for each of your characters in GW1.

But for some reason I feel that there will be people saying “OMG why am I being punished for not having GW2 on launch, I want these mini’s NOW!!!” and “More punishment for not having alts!”

Fix the Search Function

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

I think they should give us a chest, and when you open it you get the reward selection popup. (You know the one you get after completing a personal story mission?) Inside is a choice between a fused weapon ticket, sclerite ticket or dragon jade ticket =)

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

For GW2’s birthday we’ll get a special gift box with 0,00005% to get something useful.

Posted by: who want blood.8765

who want blood.8765

i think everyone should get a ticket for a free pre-cursor, account bound, and only 1 per account. i think thats fair and something everyone will enjoy.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

Amusingly, these three conditions already cancel themselves out in a number of ways. If it’s not bound, it’s sellable. If it’s sellable, then there’s a market for it. If it’s 1 per character, then everyone has at least five slots, and possibly many, many more (I have 8 characters). If everyone has one or more, they are readily tradable, how can they possibly fit the definition of ‘valuable’?

- They are consumables. Like a piece of birthday cake that grants very strong buffs for 24 hours, this will be ‘valuable’ because they are depleted.
- The item NPCs for a lot of gold. Or the gift is just gold.
- It’s something that a character needs many of. Armor upgrades are one example, although I doubt even needing 6 will make the object particularly valuable.

These are virtually the only ways to make an item valuable, yet fit all your other prerequisites. I strongly suspect, however, that this is not what you were looking for. No miniature can fit, as it’s senseless to have more than one. No equipment skin will fit the bill, as every character will have one.

So you see, the problem with your statement is that the criteria by which an item is determined to be valuable is rarity. Even exceptionally useful objects will be very cheap if they are common. Thus if a given object is distributed to every character, then rarity is already compromised. I’m not entirely sure what you’re expecting, but if it’s “give us a precursor!” like the guy above, you might be sorely disappointed at how “valuable” the resulting item is.

(edited by LFk.1408)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If every one got one then how could it be something valuable?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

Now that i’m done raining on a guy’s parade, my vote is for nothing fancy. A commemorative mini will do. One per account.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

In truth, EL tonics were just expensive rubbish in the first and still serve that end in this game. (More so, since they can’t be traded). I don’t want minis either unless they serve some purpose. The only reason I wanted them in GW1 was because it got me skins here. How about birthday party related skins?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

In truth, EL tonics were just expensive rubbish in the first and still serve that end in this game. (More so, since they can’t be traded). I don’t want minis either unless they serve some purpose. The only reason I wanted them in GW1 was because it got me skins here. How about birthday party related skins?

What is an EL tonic? Never seen one of those yet.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I believe that is EverLasting…..

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

character/account based costume piece with GW2 logo on it

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Would like some interesting Town Clothing for a birthday giftie. Random ticket for a chance at a precourser maybe in a cake slice ala Mardi Gras King cake style… Find a birthday cake, cut it and get chance at a precourser slice ticket or reward thingy like that. Blow out candles to see what you get…lots of neat birthday ideas for fun stuffs to do and get rewarded for!

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Give me Dawn, pl0x. I don’t mind if its account bound

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

-1 consumable for 50%xp
-1 consumable for 50% change of bonus craft
-1 consumable for 500% MF when you are DOWN.
-1 exotic helmet whit: Condition Damage, Healing and Magic Find. un-savage, BOA, 2 silver cost.

remember anyway is a gift so eat you RNG.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I want a mini! i like minis

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

LOL I just logged in to post this same thread. I been playing another game for now because I been bored and burnt out levelling but when some more interesting things are added I’ll be right back because I’m a 6 years supporter of gw1/2. But yes I have expected Bday presents since launch and made 8 toons within the head start days for this very reason. If we don’t get presents , if their bound or per account I will be GUTTED as I would expect most gw1rs to be. Think long and hard Anet when playing around with things your core supporters know and love.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

A commemorative mini is my vote. The mini would be a Quaggan (choice of pink or blue) that’s wearing a birthday hat and blows a horn every so often.

And all of Lion’s Arch is going to be in decoration, with Charr pinatas around every corner for people to bash in with a stick.

Those asking for “precursers”, get real. It’s an ultra super rare item for a reason, as are Legendary weapons. To ask for handouts is just…it’s just….wrong.

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

I just want a mini claw or zhaitan myself.

Zhaitan being the unique mini would be fantastic.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

“If everyone has one, how can they be valuable?”

Well to start off, not everyone has one. Only players around from launch would be able to get them.
Second, it’s only one per character, and people love to collect things.
Third, it’s a new item, so people will be crazy about it for the first week or so.
Fourth, it takes an entire year to get that item for a character.

Basically what he was asking for was something with the same effect as GW1 birthday presents, which where one per character (on a characters birthday, not gw anniversary), trade-able, and valuable.

Of course after one or two more years the white and blue rarity year one minis (what the gw1 presents gave) weren’t worth much anymore, but there were new minis to focus on then.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

50 free Black Lion chests per character.*

*Keys not included.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’d like to see account bound stuff, but considering it’s for the individual character I do not see this happening imo.

I’m hoping for:
Exotic Gear Box for your character’s profession.
Jugs of Karma.
Bags of Coins.
800 Gems. (enough to get 1 cool thing or multiple smaller things)
and a randomly generated account bound type item (BLK loot table, rare quality or higher)

I know I’m dreaming, but this would be really nice. It should be as impressive to a monthly as the monthly reward is to the daily.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

^ I also share in your doubt, but who knows? Maybe they’ll go by account age this time and just mail the gift.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

tbh anet turning my achievements into permanent MF boost on all my characters is a nice present :P

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

I just want new maps and a new storyline concerning a dragon…

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

I’d like to see account bound stuff, but considering it’s for the individual character I do not see this happening imo.

I’m hoping for:
Exotic Gear Box for your character’s profession.
Jugs of Karma.
Bags of Coins.
800 Gems. (enough to get 1 cool thing or multiple smaller things)
and a randomly generated account bound type item (BLK loot table, rare quality or higher)

I know I’m dreaming, but this would be really nice. It should be as impressive to a monthly as the monthly reward is to the daily.

Seriously? You would want gear and gold for the 1-year birthday of the game? There is only 1 thing you cannot fix in a game… Its community…