GW2 Amnoon is nothing like GW Amnoon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: allart.3746

allart.3746

I’m very disappointed: I just went back to GW to verify. Amonoon in GW is a desert oasis in a desolated environment with just a few statues and tents. In GW2 Amnoon looks more like Vabbi (totally different place) and there is even a supposedly old underwater Amnoon which has nothing to do with the actual GW outpost!! There were absolutely no pyramids or anything like that!!

(edited by allart.3746)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah. 250 years can make a difference.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Agreed flesh wound. Also, like Lion’s Arch, Olkitten oon is underwater. There is a POI that marks it. The rise of Orr affectekitten oon which was on the coast.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

250 years have passed. How can you expect it to be the same ? I mean Nolami academy in GW1 is far different from Nolami academy in GW2.

allart.3746

underwater amnoon has nothing to do with gw1 amnoon. LA was done much better.

allart.3746

In Lion’s Arch you can still find traces of the gw city. Amnoon looks like a totally different place, with loads of ancient looking piramyds which didn’t exist 250 years ago!! Sloppy

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

OK, the point wasn’t that it looked the same, but to acknowledge that past Amnoon was underwater and probably washed away.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Just a flesh wound.3589

In Lion’s Arch you can still find traces of the gw city. Amnoon looks like a totally different place, with loads of ancient looking piramyds which didn’t exist 250 years ago!! Sloppy

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

What makes them ancient looking?

allart.3746

The fact that some of them are now underwater and some others are crumbling?

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

I call it shoddy workmanship and the use of inferior materials!

Sorry…that was me….. :(

Posted by: Inc.4753

Inc.4753

I call it shoddy workmanship and the use of inferior materials!

So, probably imported from Cantha?

On topic: I agree that, so far, the feel of the original Crystal Desert is not really there. Of course, this is not only an issue of design, but also of the GW2 core. There just aren’t any really desolate and empty places left in the world. Unfortunately this and some other design choices removed the ‘adventure’ feeling the original game had, especially in the Crystal Desert.

allart.3746

Yes that’s my point. Also the fauna is different: where are all the devourers gone?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Yes that’s my point. Also the fauna is different: where are all the devourers gone?

OMG not the D word!

Posted by: Laken.9018

Laken.9018

The reason for this was mentioned in the Movements of the World, way back when Eye of the North came out:

“The monster’s name was Palawa Joko. Within sixty years of Kormir’s rise to godhood, Palawa Joko mustered his former power and marched a new army of mummies, zombies, and other undead out of the Crystal Desert into war with Vabbi. To ensure his dominance, Palawa dammed and diverted the river Elon, causing drought and famine amid the northern provinces of Elona and creating a green and growing area within the Crystal Desert. In this area, Palawa Joko established the seat of his new kingdom.”

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I agree with the OP. I mean I was looking at pictures of Manhattan from 250 years ago and they look nothing like what we have now. I mean come on anet. What the heck.

allart.3746

I think this might be an American problem. For people from other continents, 250 years is not that a long time, certainly not enough to completely change a place to the point it’s not recognizable anymore. Take a look at London’s maps from the 1700s.. ok it’s different, but there is no doubt it’s London: London bridge, Covent Garden, St’ Paul’s, the Tower of London are all there. https://laurenceworms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rocque-lettered.jpg

(edited by allart.3746)

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

I think this might be an American problem. From people from other continents, 250 years is not that a long time, certainly not enough to completely change a place to the point it’s not recognizable anymore. Take a look at London’s maps from the 1700s.. ok it’s different, but there is no doubt it’s London: London bridge, Covent Garden, St’ Paul’s, the Tower of London are all there. https://laurenceworms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rocque-lettered.jpg

You make a good point there. However, you are forgetting there was a dramatic change in the climate of Amnoon. After Orr rose, the water rose with it, submerging Olkitten oon. This is like what would happen to present day Venice if water were to rise. Even though Venice has been around for centuries, once it is destroyed the decedents wouldn’t create a replica of Venice.

Also, I don’t know if you found it, but there is some NPC dialogue around the quarry referencing how the pyramids were built sometime in the last 250 years.

ImTasty.2163

I think this might be an American problem. For people from other continents, 250 years is not that a long time, certainly not enough to completely change a place to the point it’s not recognizable anymore. Take a look at London’s maps from the 1700s.. ok it’s different, but there is no doubt it’s London: London bridge, Covent Garden, St’ Paul’s, the Tower of London are all there. https://laurenceworms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/rocque-lettered.jpg

In all fairness, London never had 6 Elder Dragons raise from centuries long sleep that caused drastic environmental changes along with an ancient undead evil guy that has diverted an entire river to run through a new area which would cause people to relocate. After all, if you are in a desert and plan to make a living there you might want to make sure you have an easy access to water.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the crystal desert doesn’t just change that drastic in 250 years, mountains and rivers don’t just get there because of a bit of water shift.
Anet doe that with every single thing in GW2, they remove entire mountains because it doesn’t fit in their map design, drastically changing a map beyond reason.

just think, the first thing that already annoyed me is the shift of northern kryta, all of a sudden it’s allot flatter and the ascalon settlement is on a hill. (it’s suppose to be equal to the rest of the area)

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

On topic: I agree that, so far, the feel of the original Crystal Desert is not really there. Of course, this is not only an issue of design, but also of the GW2 core. There just aren’t any really desolate and empty places left in the world. Unfortunately this and some other design choices removed the ‘adventure’ feeling the original game had, especially in the Crystal Desert.

Maybe wait until the expansion is actually out? I agree that the original feel of the Crystal Desert isn’t there but I’m pretty sure we’re going to get that feel once we’ve seen other parts of the map

It seriously baffles me how people always start judging a whole game or expansion after they’ve played a tiny tiny fraction of a demo …
250 years have passed; Elder Dragons rose; Palawa Joko diverted the Elon river; and mankind left it’s mark upon the environment. So of course things look different.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

(edited by Feothyr.6072)

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

There was a great deal of ancient architecture buried under the sands of Amnoon long before Guild Wars 1; centuries in fact.

After the river was diverted, most Vabbians migrated from uninhabitable Vabbi to the now-lush northern area of the Crystal Desert, Amnoon. They took their irrigation, quarrying, and construction techniques, as well as their design philosophy, with them… but not their Istani granite. They were forced to use the available local mineral, sandstone, which is far less durable. On top of that, there are harsh winds and sandstorms in this area, far more than anywhere in Elona. Any construction would look “weathered” after a few months of constant abuse, let alone hundreds of years. The fact that anything is still standing at all is a testament to their engineering prowess.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Environmental factors aside, London has been a city for how long? I’d assume a long time. From how people described GW1 area, it was pretty much just a “settlement”. Settlements don’t stay settlements for long. They are either abandoned or flourish and built upon.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Why is this thread a thing? Gw1 Amnoon as barely even a trading camp with only a handful of ripped tents and pier., now its an actual city of refugees. Do yo want it to still just be a bunch of ripped up tents? Also, no one cared about Amnoon back in the day, there wasn’t anything there to bother with, Augury was where people congregated in the desert.
I get that there is something missing in GW2, some bit of atmosphere or flavor that GW1 had, but some of this stuff people bring up just doesn’t make sense.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

Oh look, another ‘why isn’t GW2 GW1 with better graphics’ thread.

Fancy that.

Just a flesh wound.3589

the crystal desert doesn’t just change that drastic in 250 years, mountains and rivers don’t just get there because of a bit of water shift.
Anet doe that with every single thing in GW2, they remove entire mountains because it doesn’t fit in their map design, drastically changing a map beyond reason.

just think, the first thing that already annoyed me is the shift of northern kryta, all of a sudden it’s allot flatter and the ascalon settlement is on a hill. (it’s suppose to be equal to the rest of the area)

Except it has changed drastically before, when it switched from the Crystal Sea to the Crystal Desert, in such a short time that boats were stranded in the middle of the now dry land.

A switch from a sea to a desert in such a short time is definitely a drastic change.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s a Dev quote from before Guild Wars 2 even launched:

For an existing Guild Wars player the story of Guild Wars 2 uses familiar locales, races, and themes, but shaped in an entirely new manner. 250 years have passed in Tyria; not everything is as a returning player would expect it.

-Ree Soesbee

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/20/gc-2009-guild-wars-2-first-details-and-qa?page=2

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

In GW1 there are ruins in the Crystal Desert. Probably some were built by The Forgotten. Erosion could have uncovered these. In addition, those toppling pyramids are in the former noble quarter of Amnoon City which has been affected by the Balth/Joko thing.

If you’ve travelled extensively in the desert ( I have ) you know that dunes can shift entirely, sometimes daily. There are also “soft cots” where a tracked vehicle can sink as into water.. fine as talcum powder.

Having part of the new Amnoon City sinking is entirely believable.

Mesmerising Girl

The Greyhawk.9107

If you’ve travelled extensively in the desert ( I have ) you know that dunes can shift entirely, sometimes daily. There are also “soft cots” where a tracked vehicle can sink as into water.. fine as talcum powder.

Having part of the new Amnoon City sinking is entirely believable.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

Yup. There is no possible way a desert could change that much over 200 years.

http://i.imgur.com/cv1iU.jpg

ImTasty.2163

Again, it’s not just a change by moving a river. 6 elder dragons rose from their slumber. If just one of these dragons can raise an entire city from the ocean floor I’m pretty sure another dragon can raise a few mountains.

Posted by: BurningHeavy.7268

BurningHeavy.7268

I’m very disappointed: I just went back to GW to verify. Amonoon in GW is a desert oasis in a desolated environment with just a few statues and tents. In GW2 Amnoon looks more like Vabbi (totally different place) and there is even a supposedly old underwater Amnoon which has nothing to do with the actual GW outpost!! There were absolutely no pyramids or anything like that!!

It’s almost as if 250 years of development have happened. Look at Shanghai in the 90’s and today. COMPLETELY different, way more built up, and that was only 20 or so years. Underwater Amnoon is pretty cool.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Sure, it have only passed 250 years between both game, then it is naturally clear, that the Amnoon now has to look like an exact copy of the old game version /facepalm

Not to mention, that both games use also completely different graphic engines…

Seriously, what did you expect OP? Is this a Troll thread?

Deserts can change massively over time ,the Sand does’t stay always at the same time.. over 250 year can the wind blow and move lots of sand away so that the desert send can practicalyl eat up land, where has been buildings ect. 250 years ago, can be 250 years later nothing but sand, cause of sand storms…

It would have been completely unfitting, if nothing at all would have changed in the region of Eloan within the last 250 years, as if time itself would have had stood still there. But Elona isn’t Prince of Persia, where the sands of time are able to do something like that …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

The Greyhawk.9107

Not to mention, that both games use also completely different graphic engines…

Actually they use the same engine, GW2’s just got a (fairly heavily) modified version of it.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Found a vet on one of the pyramids. What is missing are Jade Scarabs …

On the other hand the entire region has been altered by Palawa Joko and the Kralkatorrik’s actions. They are the type of things IRL that would trigger species migration and provide evolutionary pressure.

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

On the other hand the entire region has been altered by Palawa Joko and the Kralkatorrik’s actions. They are the type of things IRL that would trigger species migration and provide evolutionary pressure.

There are actually a bunch of scarabs on the way up to the vista on the northeast side of the demo area. I don’t know if they’re anywhere else though.

Edit: unless regular scarabs don’t count and they have to be jade ones.
They’re also really common around the southern border

(edited by Skittish.4539)

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

For perspective, Atlanta, Georgia was founded in 1847. 170 years ago, it was open foothills and swamps with an oddly out-of-place mountain. A lot of rapid changes happen to a place when people decide to build a city on it.
Add another 80ish years and it’s no surprise almost nothing is left of the old map(s)

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

(edited by Squee.7829)

Posted by: VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

just look up Berlin 1917 and Berlin 2017. Or Hamburg 1925 and Hamburg 1975.

change happens. a lot.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Haven’t been to Droknar’s Forge lately have you?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

change happens. a lot.

you compare an industrial area with a desert, the changes are drastically different in pace.
berlin has changed because it’s in the middle of the revolution, a desert will stay that way for a few 1000 years and barely change at all.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

change happens. a lot.

you compare an industrial area with a desert, the changes are drastically different in pace.
berlin has changed because it’s in the middle of the revolution, a desert will stay that way for a few 1000 years and barely change at all.

I point you to Dubai for a modern or example.

Or the massive excavation that happened in Egypt to uncover massive monuments that had been buried for a very long time, if you want an older example. Or hell, any excavation of anything thats been buried no matter where in the world.

Things get built, destroyed and rebuilt over and over constantly, and often in the same spot. Hell, look at the ruins of Troy.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There are actually a bunch of scarabs on the way up to the vista on the northeast side of the demo area. I don’t know if they’re anywhere else though.

Edit: unless regular scarabs don’t count and they have to be jade ones.
They’re also really common around the southern border

I saw scarabs too and yes it needs to be Jade Scarabs to count. Also needs to be hidden until you get close to them.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

That’s how I felt when I revisited my hometown where I grew up.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

The Greyhawk.9107

change happens. a lot.

I point you to Dubai for a modern or example.

Or the massive excavation that happened in Egypt to uncover massive monuments that had been buried for a very long time, if you want an older example. Or hell, any excavation of anything thats been buried no matter where in the world.

Things get built, destroyed and rebuilt over and over constantly, and often in the same spot. Hell, look at the ruins of Troy.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’ve never seen any GW terrain. Sorry it bothers you, but what I saw in the Demo was beautiful.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!