GW2 Armor: Is this what you want?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I was just wondering if you guys would prefer it if each race only have clothing unique to their own race (like the cultural gear but even those seem a little too subtle) rather than sharing similar clothing with only a few choices for unique cultural gear.

I brought this up after I was trying to find armor that fit my Charr’s personality. After seeing concept art from other threads, I feel like this game would be really awesome if we had more armor that fit the style of each race.

We could even share armor but have different versions for each race.

If you guys check out a game called Vindictus, each character can wear the same type of armor but the style is unique to each character.
> Both characters are wearing the black hammer set.

What do you think?

Attachments:

Posted by: Tyrannus Blade.3408

Tyrannus Blade.3408

That would actually be a pretty nice change. Trouble is that whatever team creates the armour skins probably won’t put the effort in as they haven’t already. Most armours are clearly designed on a human before being stretched to “fit” the likes of a Charr.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Agreed, a sylvari with human clothes is one of the reason I don’t play a sylvari.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Zavve.8205

That would actually be a pretty nice change. Trouble is that whatever team creates the armour skins probably won’t put the effort in as they haven’t already. Most armours are clearly designed on a human before being stretched to “fit” the likes of a Charr.

Yeah, that is pretty disappointing. Imagine all of the amazing styles and characters that players would be able to create. I really hope that the design team eventually decides to at least try to put a little more effort into the armor.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The problem is that there is no team making armor skins in the first place. lol

Posted by: Oxymus.5241

Oxymus.5241

TerA has same armor system setup like Vindictus, armor look completely different on each race with same armor set. GW2 armor cosmetic look is the worse one I’ve ever play….if you ask 10 ppla with same classes then 7/10 of them wearing the same armor look just different stats….boring!

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

I wish there were more differences between races and classes, currently it doesn’t really matter what race or class you are, all can look just the same.

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

The problem is that there is no team making armor skins in the first place. lol

Really? .

Zavve.8205

It sucks seeing the artwork showing off all this amazing gear and we can’t get any of it :P

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Absolutely not.

I’d rather have two different sets and be able to choose which set I want to wear while playing the race of my choice.

Beside that, we already have cultural armour, though we only have three sets so far.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Armor sets do look different on different races though. Not always for the best, but they differ based on who is wearing them. Some gear I never liked on my asura or charr, then I had that gear in my bank and previews on my human and it is totally different.

Then like you mentioned there are cultural sets. There will also be new skins like the hand armor for living story, gear like this can be mix and matched on races for a great diversity in styles. There’s a pretty big thread on pics of people in mix and match ONLY gear. I foresee more gear coming, or at least skins. We have gotten tons of weapons, and a few odd pieces, it only makes sense that the next step in a few gear sets. Perhaps even some that look different on other races like a few of them we currently have.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

These would be a good start on Armor Sets i’d like to see..

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_types

Maybe after they can wing it from there

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Armor sets do look different on different races though. Not always for the best, but they differ based on who is wearing them. Some gear I never liked on my asura or charr, then I had that gear in my bank and previews on my human and it is totally different.

But that’s true only for an asura or a charr. Humans, silvary and norn have the same base model and therefore, the same armor which make our salad people look ridiculous at best and the norn look just like overgrown humans.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

TerA has same armor system setup like Vindictus, armor look completely different on each race with same armor set. GW2 armor cosmetic look is the worse one I’ve ever play….if you ask 10 ppla with same classes then 7/10 of them wearing the same armor look just different stats….boring!

Doesn’t Tera require you to wear a whole entire outfit? Sounds like a far worse system than mix and match customization. I’ve heard from people who left Tera say that part of the problem with the game is that eventually everyone looks the same.

Geotherma.2395

But that’s true only for an asura or a charr. Humans, silvary and norn have the same base model and therefore, the same armor which make our salad people look ridiculous at best and the norn look just like overgrown humans.

Actually I think they look different too, I have to double check though. And of course I’ve only tried this with a few models.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Doesn’t Tera require you to wear a whole entire outfit? Sounds like a far worse system than mix and match customization. I’ve heard from people who left Tera say that part of the problem with the game is that eventually everyone looks the same.

No Tera has similar armor setups like GW2

Geotherma.2395

They do seem to look more alike on some races, but I think the opposite argument could be made too. Some people want the style from humans on their asura etc. But hopefully we will see more soon.

Attachments:

Posted by: Tikky.6231

Tikky.6231

It would be nice if they introduced some more cultural armors (and weapons, maybe?). they don’t need to be tier-based, like the current ones, they could be just a skin to apply on one’s current armor, and then can be kept using those… stone things to transfer armor looks (the name escapes me right now). Also, i don’t believe these ought to be made “race exclusive”. They could be sold in specific capitals, offer a cheaper price for the intended race, but choice is always better. It should, however, be designed to look great on the intended race 1st and foremost, and then adapted to the other races, and if it looks odd on other races, so be it. If a human doesn’t mind armor with a tail hole (from Charr armor) that should be their prerogative. As for size differences (Asura in Norn armor? Norn in Asuran armor?) i think we could just… accommodate that, and allow for the armor to “magically” fit – like all the rest of the current armors.

shrugs just an idea…

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

more cultural armor options? sure, i guess.

cultural armor being the only thing available? nah.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

It struck me the other day that the outlines of the trenchcoats and the light armor “skirts” seems be oddly similar. Almost like they are simply different textures on the same overall model.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

if you ask 10 ppla with same classes then 7/10 of them wearing the same armor look just different stats….boring!

Well it’s a problem of people actually.
I don’t know why, but most of dungeon runners wear arah set with abyssal dye. Most norns I see wear the same old t3 cultural, it’s so dumb.

Most people in this game don’t care about looks at all. All they care about is status. Like the more expensive some piece of armor is, the more people would wear it. It really bothers me, but I don’t think adding more skins will lessen the amount of abyssal+arah clones.

EU Aurora Glade

(edited by Isslair.4908)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

if you ask 10 ppla with same classes then 7/10 of them wearing the same armor look just different stats….boring!

Well it’s a prblem of people actually.
I don’t know why, but most of dungeon runners wear arah set with abyssal dye. Most norns I see wear the same old t3 cultural, it’s so dumb.

Most people in this game don’t care about looks at all. All they care about is status. Like the more expensive some piece of armor is, the more peopl would wear it. It really bothers me, but I don’t think adding more skins will lessen the amount of abyssal+arah clones.

I see more people with one or more piece of COF than anything else. But perhaps the masses of eye catching fireballs help in that regard.

Honestly, i think ANet shot themselves in the foot with the transmutation system.

1. if a item is L80, be it white or be it purple, it require a transmutation crystal (previously know as a fine transmutation stone).

2. said transmutation crystal is insanely rare unless you feel like converting gold to gems or spend cash on gems. And there is no way to cram transmutation stones into the forge and get crystal back.

3. each transmutation is “destructive” in that the old look or stats are lost. so if you have a expensive item, and you want to experiment with the stats, you need a second item if you want to preserve the look but not loose the original stats.

all that ads up to a whole lot of effort for something that is simply cosmetic.

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

That looks awesome and I appreciate the aesthetic, but why isn’t there beautiful or glamorous looking armor?

I can’t be the only one that wants such things.

Why you bein’ cute?

Geotherma.2395

That looks awesome and I appreciate the aesthetic, but why isn’t there beautiful or glamorous looking armor?

I can’t be the only one that wants such things.

You mean in GW2?

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

You mean in GW2?

Yes. I should have been more specific. haha

Why you bein’ cute?

Geotherma.2395

You mean in GW2?

Yes. I should have been more specific. haha

Lol sorry, was confused on where the topic was referring :P There is some imo, that is really nice and glamorous. They could of course make more as the ones I’ve seen aren’t that many. I would say the theme is generally war, zhaitan, zombies etc so a lot of heavy or tough armor was made. Light and medium armors are ok as far as “pretty” stuff, but heavy is lacking there. Also it seems as though they want most of the “pretty” stuff to be town related. But that doesn’t mean it can’t change.

Edit: Also you may want to check out https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Post-a-pic-of-your-character-only-if-your-armor-is-mix-n-match/first

Lots of mix and match stuff looks great

Attachments:

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

no, i want the exact style of armors gw1 had.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Geotherma.2395

no, i want the exact style of armors gw1 had.

Suggest more heritage sets then ^^

Zavve.8205

imo I also think that maybe we have less jackets. Feels like there are even less options when most medium armor are jackets.