GW2 Birthdays!

GW2 Birthdays!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Hi everyone!
For those of you who played the original gw1 know that every year you’d get a birthday present on the day your character was created (it usually was a random mini/tonic)- Will something like that happen in GW2? Or be introduced?
I haven’t found anything relating to that

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

We probably won’t find out til closer to August 25th anyways.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

We probably won’t find out til closer to August 25th anyways.

Yeah more than likely!
It’s something that’s been on my mind c:

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

It is not impossible that it will happen, although perhaps something different than minis or tonics… we cannot know as DigitalKirin said.
Some months till we will found out.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Once.6390

Once.6390

so how do you know when you created your char?

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Java.2130

Java.2130

You can type in /age in the chat-box, in-game. That will tell you how old your character is, and how many hours you have played that character, as well as all other characters on your account.

Lvl 80 Ranger, Necromancer, Guardian, Mesmer, Elementalist, Warrior, Engineer, Thief.
Don’t get between a girl and her siege weaponry. <3
JQ [PIE], formerly [FLUX] & [TNO]

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

GW Birthdays could be shared with others less wealthy when you got a good gift that would help a less hands on get their HoM. I seriously doubt this will continue in GW2 Cashshopbound is there for a reason.

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

I’m hoping there are birthday gifts in GW2! I always enjoyed getting a little mini or tonic in GW1.

However, I imagine any gifts in GW2 will be account or soulbound. (Maybe not though!)

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I want a party hat. :p

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve been wondering about this since just before launch. But if I remember correctly no one knew there were going to be birthday gifts in GW1 until the first few people discovered them in their inventory.

My guess is the first we’ll know about it is on 25th August when people who pre-purchased and got the 3 day headstart log in and find gifts.

GW Birthdays could be shared with others less wealthy when you got a good gift that would help a less hands on get their HoM. I seriously doubt this will continue in GW2 Cashshopbound is there for a reason.

I love that you make it sound like everyone wanted to be altruistic and helpful and it’s only mean old Anet who force us to pay for things. If that was true my mini pet collecting would have been far less expensive.

Truth is when minis first appeared on the first birthday even the most common white ones were selling for at least 10k each, golds and greens were easily over 100k each. And those prices were set entirely by players, Anet gave them away free and you couldn’t sell them to NPC merchants.

And at the time they had absolutely no practical purpose – that didn’t come until EOTN was launch a few years later (and even then many people didn’t bother with minis until the calculator came out because it was assumed rewards would match what you put in – that you’d get armor for filling up the armor monument, weapons for weapons etc. so adding minis would only get you more “useless” minis.)

People only started giving them away when they got to be so common that supply far exceeded demand and you couldn’t sell them if you tried. And that ended as soon as the calculator came out and increased demand again. Some of the rarer and more popular minis like the panda and Visu are among the most expensive items in game (I’ve heard 500 ambraces for Visu) and those prices are set entirely by players.

I don’t agree with some of Anet’s approach to minis in GW2 (mainly the festival golem, airship, snowman and festive quaggan – cash shop RNG and account bound is too much risk for too little reward to be worth trying) but I think it’s massively inaccurate to pretend that what they’re preventing by making them account bound is helpful and generous players giving away their treasured minis to unfortunate friends. If they weren’t account bound they’d be on the TP competing with legendaries for the top of the price list.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

GW2 Birthdays!

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I’ve been wondering about this since just before launch. But if I remember correctly no one knew there were going to be birthday gifts in GW1 until the first few people discovered them in their inventory.

My guess is the first we’ll know about it is on 25th August when people who pre-purchased and got the 3 day headstart log in and find gifts.

I love that you make it sound like everyone wanted to be altruistic and helpful and it’s only mean old Anet who force us to pay for things. If that was true my mini pet collecting would have been far less expensive.

Truth is when minis first appeared on the first birthday even the most common white ones were selling for at least 10k each, golds and greens were easily over 100k each. And those prices were set entirely by players, Anet gave them away free and you couldn’t sell them to NPC merchants.

And at the time they had absolutely no practical purpose – that didn’t come until EOTN was launch a few years later (and even then many people didn’t bother with minis until the calculator came out because it was assumed rewards would match what you put in – that you’d get armor for filling up the armor monument, weapons for weapons etc. so adding minis would only get you more “useless” minis.)

People only started giving them away when they got to be so common that supply far exceeded demand and you couldn’t sell them if you tried. And that ended as soon as the calculator came out and increased demand again. Some of the rarer and more popular minis like the panda and Visu are among the most expensive items in game (I’ve heard 500 ambraces for Visu) and those prices are set entirely by players.

I don’t agree with some of Anet’s approach to minis in GW2 (mainly the festival golem, airship, snowman and festive quaggan – cash shop RNG and account bound is too much risk for too little reward to be worth trying) but I think it’s massively inaccurate to pretend that what they’re preventing by making them account bound is helpful and generous players giving away their treasured minis to unfortunate friends. If they weren’t account bound they’d be on the TP competing with legendaries for the top of the price list.

This, basically. I got a mini polar bear and from that was able to pay for 3 45+/50 HoM (myself, my brother, and my girlfriend) as well as all of the consumable titles, elite armor sets, weapons that I’d never use, and literally everything else with money leftover to spare.

I agree that having crap be RNG and account-bound is dumb and I hope to never see that again because I’m without a Snowman mini because RNG hates me. But hey at least I have 3 extra Christmas light golems that I could have given to friends/guildies that needed them (if they weren’t account-bound that is).