GW2 Camera - Post FOV Fix [Not Quite Fixed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

(Wanted to see if I could get a Dev response for this but also wondering if anyone else is still suffering from this even after the FOV increase that ANet implemented.)

For a while now I’ve been jumping into GW2 to try out the new patches only to log out within seconds. I simply could not stand the low FOV and limited camera zoom even after the FOV increase. I feel like I’m playing the game while staring at the ground most of the time.

I believe this could easily be fixed by allowing us to zoom out more. Currently the camera severely limits the experience because in most cases you’re staring more at the ground than the horizon and sky just to see what’s in front of you. If you try to position your camera to see the horizon, it ends up getting caught on the smallest of objects and gets very agitating. The camera seems to be fixed towards the middle of your character which also adds to this weird feeling. I loathe having to run into a cave or tight spaces where the camera gets obscured so much by any little object or wall. It’s very frustrating.

I bought the collector’s edition for the bad-kitten Rytlok but also because I really believe in ANet’s vision and can see the potential with everything they implement but until this is resolved, I just can’t force myself to play this way.

A question to Devs: Are there game-engine or programming limitations to allowing more customization to the camera and player perspective? The FOV increase was a step in the right direction, but I strongly urge you to consider increasing the zoom distance as well.

(edited by X The Manimal.5293)

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Maybe if you make an asura… The camera is better for then.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

I feel your pain. And another problem about looking at the floor all the time is that this game’s design is so awesome we miss a lot. How many people have ever looked up on Rata Sum and The Grove? How many people have realized how awesome Stonemist Castle’s top is amongst the clouds?

It’s definitely not an engine limitation because on some world bosses (like Shadow Behemoth) we’re allowed to zoom out further. Even the FOV changes slightly in order to accommodate the boss on the screen. I would also love if the camera was shifted just a little upwards and we were allowed to zoom out a little further (not necessarily as much as on SB’s fight).

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I would greatly enjoy being able to zoom out more+have an FoV slider. I generally play fairly zoomed out with the FoV set to 90-100, so I feel rather constrained this game, even when on my Guardian (which is an Asuran).

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

This is definitely an issue, and detracts from half the beauty of the game. The only time you get a good PoV is with vista animations, which makes me wonder if that was a bone thrown to the artwork fellows who weren’t having any of their work seen.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I have issues with the camera as well – never more so than with this new Marionette boss, who I can’t even see because the camera won’t accommodate it, and when I am fighting it swings around a bit so in the end all I end up seeing is a massive foot come crashing down in front of me. When the marionette would be so cool to be able to look up at easily.

Jumping puzzles are a bit of a nightmare, where my camera is either stuck inside a wall, or suddenly zooms right in (between the wall and my character’s back) and I’m unable to see anything at all or change the view angle.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

This has been a problem for a long time and is primarily caused because the camera is treated as a physical object. The absolute worst camera experience I can remember was a part of the Not So Secret jumping puzzle.

Near the beginning of the interior area, there’s a spot where you have to jump across some pipes. Before that, though, you run underneath them.

My camera would hit each pipe, push forward toward me to avoid it, and then slide back up higher once it cleared the pipe. Like six times in a row. It made me sick.

The answer to this, of course, is to lower your camera so you have a less top-down view, but that’s much less possible in other areas. If there’s a wall behind you, or some other structure, you just have to deal with it. :-(

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Ozoug.4158

Ozoug.4158

Yes please. It’s way to low

GW2: A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Yzoug.
DaoC: R11 Skald

X The Manimal.5293

I would greatly enjoy being able to zoom out more+have an FoV slider. I generally play fairly zoomed out with the FoV set to 90-100, so I feel rather constrained this game, even when on my Guardian (which is an Asuran).

I am quite against “hacking” games to gain an unfair advantage but I’ll admit I used an FOV hack a while back to set my FOV to about 75-80 and OMG what a difference! I stayed logged in for almost 5 straight hours because I was having such a great time! However, once I logged out and back the next day it no longer worked and now I haven’t played the game since.

I see others are having the same gripe but are able to continue playing anyway. I wish I could do the same. I wonder how many more out there are also pushing through the annoyance/pain. I just couldn’t do it anymore and I’m willing to get my account banned for using a hack if it means I can play this game remotely comfortably. Otherwise GW2 is collecting virtual dust lol.

Thanks for the replies guys, good to feel I’m not alone in this. I would think this falls under “quality of life” and that ANet would still be working on this to improve it. Maybe not enough people are still vocal about it like before.

(edited by X The Manimal.5293)

Posted by: yurdun.2501

yurdun.2501

+1 then some… please change it… this would make the game so much better.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Asura fixes some of the issues, but adds a whole new set of them. For instance, your camera is literally a foot off the ground, which makes a lot of stuff harder, especially trying to look up.

X The Manimal.5293

Asura fixes some of the issues, but adds a whole new set of them. For instance, your camera is literally a foot off the ground, which makes a lot of stuff harder, especially trying to look up.

This. I have also ran into an issue where the camera would sporadically zoom in and out again while jumping up certain platforms to reach a vista in the starting zone for Asuras. This pops up again in other maps as well with similar jumps. The weird thing is that there is nothing behind my character that would make my camera do this. It’s a real head-scratcher. Not to mention I love my Charr more than my Asura lol.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

(Wanted to see if I could get a Dev response for this but also wondering if anyone else is still suffering from this even after the FOV increase that ANet implemented.)

For a while now I’ve been jumping into GW2 to try out the new patches only to log out within seconds. I simply could not stand the low FOV and limited camera zoom even after the FOV increase. I feel like I’m playing the game while staring at the ground most of the time.

I believe this could easily be fixed by allowing us to zoom out more. Currently the camera severely limits the experience because in most cases you’re staring more at the ground than the horizon and sky just to see what’s in front of you. If you try to position your camera to see the horizon, it ends up getting caught on the smallest of objects and gets very agitating. The camera seems to be fixed towards the middle of your character which also adds to this weird feeling. I loathe having to run into a cave or tight spaces where the camera gets obscured so much by any little object or wall. It’s very frustrating.

I bought the collector’s edition for the bad-kitten Rytlok but also because I really believe in ANet’s vision and can see the potential with everything they implement but until this is resolved, I just can’t force myself to play this way.

A question to Devs: Are there game-engine or programming limitations to allowing more customization to the camera and player perspective? The FOV increase was a step in the right direction, but I strongly urge you to consider increasing the zoom distance as well.

improved view would be welcome.

as for your dev question, they have increased zoom for certain encounters and it works out great for many reasons so I don’t see why it cant be easily implemented.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

bwillb.2165

This. I have also ran into an issue where the camera would sporadically zoom in and out again while jumping up certain platforms to reach a vista in the starting zone for Asuras. This pops up again in other maps as well with similar jumps. The weird thing is that there is nothing behind my character that would make my camera do this. It’s a real head-scratcher. Not to mention I love my Charr more than my Asura lol.

I think that’s because we’re so low to the ground that any little bump in the terrain mesh causes a camera issue.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

you could always make a program that increases your FOV distance,, better for the eyes and anet doesn’t have to spend time on fixing the problem Learn, c++ or c# together with some ASM & memory address knowledge (Just following “how to give good feedback” that anet posted) oh you might want to make an address signature scanner so it doesn’t break when the game updates.

Off topic, Anet your “how to give good feedback” says “no-one knows best”, so anet doesn’t either… so how can anet define what’s good feedback? hmmm

(edited by CoRtex.2157)

timmyf.1490

you could always make a program that increases your FOV distance,, better for the eyes and anet doesn’t have to spend time on fixing the problem Learn, c++ or c# together with some ASM & memory address knowledge (Just following “how to give good feedback” that anet posted) oh you might want to make an address signature scanner so it doesn’t break when the game updates.

Off topic, Anet your “how to give good feedback” says “no-one knows best”, so anet doesn’t either… so how can anet define what’s good feedback? hmmm

Great suggestion on how to violate the Terms of Service and get your account terminated.

CoRtex.2157

Great suggestion on how to violate the Terms of Service and get your account terminated.

How is it a violation? 3rd party software? It’s not 3rd party, because you are creating it yourself. You could always, inject the game with a dll, then it’s in the game itself, then it’s for sure not 3rd party

(edited by CoRtex.2157)

timmyf.1490

How is it a violation? 3rd party software? You could always, inject the game with a dll, then it’s not 3rd party anymore.

ToS state that you cannot modify the game in a way that makes you better, faster, stronger, etc. Anything that gives you an advantage over other players.

Having a wider FoV is certainly an advantage in certain game modes – WvW and sPvP especially.

I haven’t heard of anybody getting banned for hacking FoV, but it’s certainly not worth taking the chance.

CoRtex.2157

How is it a violation? 3rd party software? You could always, inject the game with a dll, then it’s not 3rd party anymore.

ToS state that you cannot modify the game in a way that makes you better, faster, stronger, etc. Anything that gives you an advantage over other players.

Having a wider FoV is certainly an advantage in certain game modes – WvW and sPvP especially.

I haven’t heard of anybody getting banned for hacking FoV, but it’s certainly not worth taking the chance.

Ok, got it,, i’ve read it now, it says you cannot use 3rd party software that automates stuff (Which this does not) , also it does not modify the client or server, it modifies the memory in your pc. So it’s 100% legal to make & use.

bwillb.2165

That program already existed and ArenaNet refused to specify whether it was against TOS or not but hinted that it was.

timmyf.1490

I’ll refer you here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/354869

Specifically, increasing FoV would violate this option: “Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?”

By seeing more, you gain an advantage over other players. But, you know, play at your own risk.

CoRtex.2157

That program already existed and ArenaNet refused to specify whether it was against TOS or not but hinted that it was.

Well it’s not, if you read the TOS, it doesn’t say anything about memory editing. So it’s legal, as long as it doesn’t automate stuff for you. Anet is not above their own TOS. If they bann you for something that is allowed by the TOS, you can sue them.

timmyf.1490

Sure, man. Whatever you want to do.

For everybody else: don’t hack your FoV.

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Well it’s not, if you read the TOS, it doesn’t say anything about memory editing. So it’s legal, as long as it doesn’t automate stuff for you. Anet is not above their own TOS. If they bann you for something that is allowed by the TOS, you can sue them.

Nope. ToS isn’t a legal document. The case would be thrown out of court on the basis that there is no legal ground for sueing. ANet is legally allowed to ban whoever the hell they want from the game.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

CoRtex.2157

Nope. ToS isn’t a legal document. The case would be thrown out of court on the basis that there is no legal ground for sueing. ANet is legally allowed to ban whoever the hell they want from the game.

So you are saying they can let you buy the game and ban you permanently 1 second after your account has been made and be legal? I would call that stealing, the law might find that an act of stealing. It wouldn’t be if it was in the ToS and you accepted it.

Edit: anyhow… Gw2 could idd bann you for anything if they wanted to, cus no-one is going to take the time to sue them. I don’t really mind, just funny how i found a hole in their ToS lol. Gonna go 2 bed, work! work! (orcs). Anet did alot of damage at the start of the game when they banned ALOT of players, even players promoting their game. But yeah, they did break the ToS kinda. (Any small bug can be seen as an exploit = tos)

(edited by CoRtex.2157)

timmyf.1490

So you are saying they can let you buy the game and ban you permanently 1 second after your account has been made and be legal? I would call that stealing, the law might find that an act of stealing. It wouldn’t be if it was in the ToS and you accepted it.

This thread has really derailed and should probably be closed, but one last thing: you would spend more money filing a lawsuit (that would be immediately tossed out of court) and acquiring a lawyer than you’d spend buying 10 more copies of the game.

My concern is that there may be people here who see your comments and think, “Oh, yeah, this guy read the ToS and thinks it’s okay! So I’ll try it!”

People: don’t.

Okay, that’s it from me.

CoRtex.2157

This thread has really derailed and should probably be closed, but one last thing: you would spend more money filing a lawsuit (that would be immediately tossed out of court) and acquiring a lawyer than you’d spend buying 10 more copies of the game.

My concern is that there may be people here who see your comments and think, “Oh, yeah, this guy read the ToS and thinks it’s okay! So I’ll try it!”

People: don’t.

Okay, that’s it from me.

You’re right Ok FoV. It’s in the hands of devs I agree on increasing it. That’s all i can say. Lets hope they can hear us shouting in this small little forum <3

X The Manimal.5293

General rule of thumb for me is that any hack or mod that is not openly supported by the developer of an MMO, is a ban-worthy offense. In the case of WoW, add-ons are very supported and are part of the game’s menu.

I created a new Asura the other day and when the boss encounter started the FOV increased a great deal and seemed to zoom out my camera as well. THAT is what I believe ANet should leave up to us! Why take that control away from the player? That’s what I would like ANet to answer in all honesty. They obviously know that in boss encounters their default camera and FOV are not enough but it’s also not enough for us to view the EVEN BIGGER world! =/

timmyf.1490

Keep in mind there are two different things here:

1) Maximum camera distance from player. Usually we’d call this the “zoom” though that’s not really the right word.
2) Field of View, the angle of vision captured by the lens of the camera.

More FoV lets you see more of the world without really making your character smaller. More camera distance lets you move your camera up higher so that you, the player, are smaller.

For the boss encounters, you definitely get more camera distance. I think the FoV increases slightly as well (leading to a weird bending effect as the camera moves out and widens its FOV) but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I still think those are the smaller problems with the camera. As you mentioned in the original post, it’s the camera getting caught on things that’s far more frustrating.

X The Manimal.5293

Keep in mind there are two different things here:

1) Maximum camera distance from player. Usually we’d call this the “zoom” though that’s not really the right word.
2) Field of View, the angle of vision captured by the lens of the camera.

More FoV lets you see more of the world without really making your character smaller. More camera distance lets you move your camera up higher so that you, the player, are smaller.

For the boss encounters, you definitely get more camera distance. I think the FoV increases slightly as well (leading to a weird bending effect as the camera moves out and widens its FOV) but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I still think those are the smaller problems with the camera. As you mentioned in the original post, it’s the camera getting caught on things that’s far more frustrating.

Correct, the FOV and Camera distance are entirely different things. I believe that all that’s left is camera distance increase since they already increased the FOV from the launch setting. My overall disappointment is with the lack of choice given to the player to choose what FOV and Camera distance they would rather play with to enjoy the game comfortably.

bwillb.2165

I believe that all that’s left is camera distance increase since they already increased the FOV from the launch setting. My overall disappointment is with the lack of choice given to the player to choose what FOV and Camera distance they would rather play with to enjoy the game comfortably.

Definitely should have given an FoV slider instead of a one time slight increase. Something else that would help drastically, especially with extremely large or extremely small characters, is a vertical camera offset. We have a horizontal offeset slider, why not vertical? I’d much rather have the camera sitting slightly higher than my head rather than behind my lower back when looking forward.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I think that’s because we’re so low to the ground that any little bump in the terrain mesh causes a camera issue.

I think you’re right. Both my asura have a bit of an advantage in not bumping our heads in low-ceiling jumping puzzles; but if there’s so much as cave bat guano on the floor, we get the “extreme close-up” effect from Wayne’s World.