GW2-For now Single Player Game with an option for Multiplayer, your opinion???

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wargrimm.5973

Wargrimm.5973

When you hit lvl 80 and see how things are going on, the game feels more like a single player game, where you go from 1-80 and there is nothing that requires a need for group nor guild, I know the game is still young and needs time to develop but at the moment I think the philosophy of ArenaNet is not so good especially regarding to PvE….

Posted by: Methesda.5198

Methesda.5198

This is wrong. It’s not possible to play the group events without other players.

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

So you are saying this game works for single players because it does not require you to group up much, but if you are in a guild or play with friends we can do that to?

sounds like a great game!

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

When you hit lvl 80 and see how things are going on, the game feels more like a single player game, where you go from 1-80 and there is nothing that requires a need for group nor guild, I know the game is still young and needs time to develop but at the moment I think the philosophy of ArenaNet is not so good especially regarding to PvE….

+1 Agree!

Here’s to hopeing that people go into the suggestion area and help ANet come up with some ways ta improve the game

As is, you can get the same experience from GW2 just by playing Oblivion/Skyrim while talking to people on skype.

Just keep in mind that, even if ANet never address this “issue” ~ that doesn’t mean GW2 will “die”.

GW1 survived for along time just by using “expansion cash flow” ~ eventually opening up the cash shop.

So if this is intended and they aren’t interested in evolving GW2 into something “more” ~ then the game will still stay afloat w/o issue.

Posted by: ShRNA.4376

ShRNA.4376

In WoW, you go from 1-90 and there is nothing that requires a need for group nor guild. I know that game is old and had time to develop but at the moment I think the philosophy of Blizzzarrd is not so good especially regarding to PvE.

Posted by: Methesda.5198

Methesda.5198

So over the weekend, I found myself overlooking the Swamp in Queensdale, when another player rocked up next to me, and said Hi.

We grouped up, and I had fun with him for about 30 minutes, before he had to log.

True story.

What have you become, those of you that cannot co-operate and have fun with other human beings unless you are ‘forced’ to?

Posted by: Fellthar.4895

Fellthar.4895

There is a lot of content that is available for the solo player. This includes things like hearts, many dynamic events, exploration, jump puzzles, crafting/farming, and just the general leveling experience.

However, there is a lot of content that is only available to players that want to either group or work collectively together. This includes things like group dynamic events, zone event chains with world bosses (dragons, balthazaar type battles, even some of the lower bosses like the shadow guy in queensdale), 5 man dungeons, spvp, and WvW (well if you actually want to accomplish anything in WvW that is).

I’d say the game has a fairly good balance of solo vs group orientated play, and the experience will be as group focused as you want it to be. If you don’t want to do any of the group activities then you do not have to. However, your gear selection will be limited, your participation in pvp will be small, and you will have to flee from the hard content

The game does not force you to join a group or raid, but coordination between players is innate, it happens fluidly instead of forcing you to try to form the perfect group. You may not like this, or you might love it, but that just comes down to personal taste I think.

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

There’s lot of things to do as a single player and in a group, but I think what the OP is getting at is that there is nothing in PVE that promotes a sense of camaraderie. There’s no group goals. It’s just individuals coinciding on their very individual goals. This isn’t much different in WoW, yet WoW somehow created a sense of guild pride with their progression. In WoW if you strive for a stat improvement that’s also an improvement to the raid teams chance to down a boss, so individual and group goals aligned. In GW2 PVE its just 8 groups of people going for 8 different skins. It’s so shallow.

Posted by: Knuckledust.5621

Knuckledust.5621

This is the result of the rush to deliver the game earlier. Many, MANY things are unfinished including group content. Dungeons are known for being broken since release with many “band-aid” patches, as well as DEs and etc.

Wargrimm.5973

Grumwulf and AlexanderFaust got the point of what I am trying to say, I don’t say the game is bad, it should replicate WoW or that you can’t play with your friends, I am just pointing that the game for now seems like there is no real point to group up or be in a guild. Yes, you can do dungeons for skins, the same status for armor you will get from crafting, yes you can do DE’s for (something, I don’t get the point of DE’s, low rare and exotic drop rate, except good looking Bosses) this is as far as for PvE, for PVP (WvW in particulary) you don’t need a group nor guild, since you can join a commander on the map, no special rewards the most important thing this game lacks on…etc…

Posted by: Halo.1064

Halo.1064

This is wrong. It’s not possible to play the group events without other players.

Sitting there waiting for other people to show up to do a group event doesn’t feel any better than sitting around spamming for a tank/healer. It’s still waiting around for people in order to accomplish a group activity. I guess they didn’t kill that part

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I do wish there were more things that challenged me as I was leveling. Asking someone to group with as I 100% a zone seems like a bad idea just because it would make things easier than they already are.

There’s a few incidents where there is a champion mob Event that’s too hard to do solo where you may actually ask for assistance and gather some people I wish there was a little more of that. Even then it’s not really worth the effort of trying to get a group to do it, it’s no more rewarding than just doing any other event.

Ideally there would be more difficult events like that, which required co-operation and were more rewarding because of it.

Posted by: Fellthar.4895

Fellthar.4895

@Wargrimm: Actually, I understand your point, it just doesn’t coincide with how I feel about the game. No reason that we can’t have different opinions on the issue though.

I prefer the way the grouping is in this game vs. a game like WoW, for example. I have been in large raiding guilds, in fact I was a raid leader and then a guild leader in Wotlk during the Ulduar/ICC days that raided 4 nights a week. In my experience, the sense of camaraderie in WoW is overshadowed heavily by the sense of competition for gear drops, that very often turns ugly and causes a lot of drama among guild members. I’ve had my fill of that type of environment, so I am happy that GW2 removes a lot of the drama and when bosses are killed we all can rejoice that we did it together, not fight over loot.

In addition to all this, I actually like the setup for guilds in this game. You get bonus influence for playing PvE and WvW together as a guild or group, and the rewards from influence have been useful to me, if even they could use a bit of work. I like that the game encourages guilds to play together in other environments aside from raids, like in WoW, which really only encouraged raiding as a guild and little else (until the raid finder came and ruined even that).

GW2 isn’t perfect but I think it is pretty great. Perhaps still ArenaNet will find ways to make grouping even more fun for people, and make the social environment more… social. I think there is always room for improvement.

Anyway, this is just my opinion on the matter, and I am in no way trying to say I am right, just that this is how I feel at this point in time.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’d like to see someone solo the champion temple priest of Balthazar. Post vids please.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

OP: I think what you mean is there is no need for any strategic team play. In open world it is true. Dynamic evens just require a mob of people to show up and spam skill 1 and pop an occasional heal to complete (I’m not trying to be over the top sarcastic, I actually did play through three events today just like that to prove a point).

Of course I also cleared the Crucible of Eternity dungeon today with a group of skilled level 80 players and had a blast. What you’re looking for is in GW2 unfortunately it’s only in dungeons. Outside of that it is sort of a single player experience save for the optional dynamic events.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i dare you to solo dungeons.

Posted by: Sprinkles.6748

Sprinkles.6748

Did you try actually involving yourself and communicating with with other players?

http://www.pwnzerfaust.com/ – Dragonbrand

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

This is a troll thread. If you would like to see a “MMO” that is a single player experience, go look at swtor.

Gw2 is all about playing with other people.

Wargrimm.5973

@Fellthar. I agree with you, no reason to have different opinions, that is why I opened this topic to see what people think about it.
@TransparentlyOpaque. I would like that you bring up some facts about your statement: " Gw2 is all about playing with other people".

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Yes, and that’s exactly why I like the game. It’s your choice whether to party up or not. That’s why I haven’t done any dungeons yet and will likely only do the Arah one to complete the story. The prefix MMO doesn’t define how dependent you should have to be on other players, it merely describes the fact that you are sharing your game space with a lot of other people.