GW2 Kickstarter - New Server

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

I propose that Anet leave NCsoft and go independent. Start up a kickstarter for new servers and move out of Seattle and move to Texas or New York.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok. Now explain how ANet would benefit financially from ending their contract with ncsoft and moving to another state.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They already own or control all their equipment. They took over production about a year or so ago, as well.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024442/-Guild-Wars-Microservices-and

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Also… how does this prevent the new server from being attacked?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh, this is about the ddos attacks? I gather lots of games get hit at one time or another. Moving won’t change that.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Start up a kickstarter for new servers and move out of Seattle and move to Texas or New York.

The datacenter is already in Texas and ArenaNet has already been experimenting with new servers using Amazon’s EC2 cloud computing.

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

Doesn’t NCSoft own the entire Guild Wars IP?

They already own or control all their equipment. They took over production about a year or so ago, as well.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024442/-Guild-Wars-Microservices-and

I believe the equipment’s technically NCSoft’s since ANet is owned by NCSoft. Barring some sort of strange contract they may have with them.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

NCSOFT owns ANet (indirectly through a holding company NCSOFT owns outright) but I believe, being NCSOFT’s first acquisition in NA and with former Blizzard “superstars”, ANet negotiated to keep the IP under their name so if NCSOFT every decides to sell off ANet, the IP will go with ANet.

At least that’s the scuttlebutt I heard over a decade ago.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

NCSOFT owns ANet (indirectly through a holding company NCSOFT owns outright) but I believe, being NCSOFT’s first acquisition in NA and with former Blizzard “superstars”, ANet negotiated to keep the IP under their name so if NCSOFT every decides to sell off ANet, the IP will go with ANet.

It might have been an attempt to forestall being acquired by other companies, by making a merger less attractive. I’m not sure about the timeline, I think some steps happened more recently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

We don’t know for certain if Anet pays for a part of running the server or NCSoft covers all of it. While a kickstarter could certainly help cover some of the costs to migrate everything to the new servers, it won’t help with the long term maintenance costs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A company owned by another company can’t just up and leave. It’s just not that simple. Anet can’t just decide to walk away from a parent company and the parent company might not allow it anyway. Even if Anet wanted to, it might not be possible, and without knowing more about structural specifics, it might not be good for them to do so.

DDOS attacks are annoying. This isn’t the only game getting DDOSed right now. Solutions may not be easy to implement and may take some time.

Moving won’t necessarily change any of that.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m curious about why moving their offices from Seattle to Texas or New York is included in the list. What benefit would that provide?

How does it outweigh the disruption of requiring employees to relocate hundreds of miles away, or leave the company and be replaced?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’m curious about why moving their offices from Seattle to Texas or New York is included in the list. What benefit would that provide?

How does it outweigh the disruption of requiring employees to relocate hundreds of miles away, or leave the company and be replaced?

and then we can take a look at what happened when another company did that → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

Monk Tank.5897

That wasn’t because they moved. That was because of Bank Fraud.
I’m curious as to why Anet is in Seattle in the first place? Are there some underwater internet cables going to Asia from Seattle?
All the lines going to Europe are on the East Coast. Wouldn’t it make for faster server times as a whole if the Servers were located in NY? Or anywhere on the East Coast for that matter?
So people in Europe have to ping to the East Coast, then down to Texas, Then up to Seattle, back down to Texas, up to the East Coast and then back to Europe? Put the Servers on the East Coast plz.

(edited by Monk Tank.5897)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

and then we can take a look at what happened when another company did that -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

I don’t see any connection with Kurt Schilling’s failed gaming company. 38 Studios spent money faster than they earned it. They did cross state lines, but moved less than 70 miles, not that much more than moving from Seattle/Bellevue to Tacoma Washington, which is a far cry from moving from the West Coast to Texas.

And sure, the reason they moved out of Massachusetts was that they got very favorable terms from Rhode Island on a US$75 mil loan, but there’s little indication that they wouldn’t have gone bankrupt anyhow. Even with someone writing personal checks to cover the loan, they still couldn’t meet payroll.

That’s not to say that there’s any use in a kickstarter to try to get ArenaNet to move to a less DDoS’d area; it’s just not a good example of a company that could have succeeded and failed because of a poorly-executed move.

Vayne.8563

I’m curious as to why Anet is in Seattle in the first place? Are there some underwater internet cables going to Asia from Seattle?
All the lines going to Europe are on the East Coast. Wouldn’t it make for faster server times as a whole if the Servers were located in NY? Or anywhere on the East Coast for that matter?
So people in Europe have to ping to the East Coast, then down to Texas, Then up to Seattle, back down to Texas, up to the East Coast and then back to Europe? Put the Servers on the East Coast plz.

There are lots of software companies in Seattle, including Microsoft and Amazon. It’s apparently a popular spot for software development, though I’ve never understood why.

Danikat.8537

There are lots of software companies in Seattle, including Microsoft and Amazon. It’s apparently a popular spot for software development, though I’ve never understood why.

I’m pretty sure Microsoft is based there simply because it’s where Bill Gates and the other founders are from.

As for other companies I have no idea. I was once told Seattle (or more accurately the whole Pacific North West) has such a strong musical history because the weather is terrible so there’s nothing to do except sit around playing music. Maybe it’s the same for people who are into software design?

(Although all the musicians I know who live there swear that the weather isn’t that bad and they spend plenty of time doing other things…but I’d only trust about 1/2 of them to tell the truth about 1/2 the time.)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

AFAIK they have a server in europe, ether in Amsterdam or somewhere in germany.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

and then we can take a look at what happened when another company did that -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

I don’t see any connection with Kurt Schilling’s failed gaming company. 38 Studios spent money faster than they earned it. They did cross state lines, but moved less than 70 miles, not that much more than moving from Seattle/Bellevue to Tacoma Washington, which is a far cry from moving from the West Coast to Texas.

And sure, the reason they moved out of Massachusetts was that they got very favorable terms from Rhode Island on a US$75 mil loan, but there’s little indication that they wouldn’t have gone bankrupt anyhow. Even with someone writing personal checks to cover the loan, they still couldn’t meet payroll.

That’s not to say that there’s any use in a kickstarter to try to get ArenaNet to move to a less DDoS’d area; it’s just not a good example of a company that could have succeeded and failed because of a poorly-executed move.

A company of ANet’s size would either have to pay for their employees’ move(assuming they are even willing to) or they ditch most of the employees. I am sure losing a huge chunk of money or number of employees would do wonders for any company.

Monk Tank.5897

There are lots of software companies in Seattle, including Microsoft and Amazon. It’s apparently a popular spot for software development, though I’ve never understood why.[/quote]

I’m sure it has something to do with being cheapest flights to the US from Asia.

(edited by Monk Tank.5897)

Behellagh.1468

ANet was founded in Seattle in 2000 before they were bought by NCSOFT in 2002.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It seems TriForge was founded in Southern California, where all 3 founders lived and worked at Blizzard, and immediately moved to the Seattle area.

GDC might prove to be the last stop in California for Strain, Wyatt and O’Brien before heading out to Seattle, where the new Triforge offices will be located. The reason for the move is simple, according to Strain. The company has been situated there for personal and business reasons. Washington plays host to numerous software development houses, the most lucrative being Microsoft.

Learn more here: https://web.archive.org/web/20000622011737/http://www.gamespy.com:80/news/March00/3-8-00-2.shtm

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A company of ANet’s size would either have to pay for their employees’ move(assuming they are even willing to) or they ditch most of the employees. I am sure losing a huge chunk of money or number of employees would do wonders for any company.

While that’s certainly true, that’s not why Schilling’s firm failed — moving actually brought them badly needed funds and their new offices were commute distance from the old ones.

I agree that moving HQ isn’t something that can be done lightly and it won’t be done just because someone kickstarts a bit of cash to help fun it. I’m just saying that this wasn’t a good illustration of how that can be a problem.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I heard something similar, but I’m not sure I believe it any more. They’re going to be using GW2 characters in that new NCSoft MOBA, which tells me that NCSoft has some solid claim to the rights no matter what happens with ANet.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I heard something similar, but I’m not sure I believe it any more. They’re going to be using GW2 characters in that new NCSoft MOBA, which tells me that NCSoft has some solid claim to the rights no matter what happens with ANet.

Both could be true. For example, as part of the deal granting ANet autonomy in publishing, NCSOFT could have e.g. retained rights to re-use character names or pay ANet a nominal fee to license such use.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Bill Gate kinda lived Seattle during his childhood.

Amazon wanted to poach Microsoft talent/experience by locating in Seattle. (cannot find the source of this claim thou)

Danikat.8537

Both could be true. For example, as part of the deal granting ANet autonomy in publishing, NCSOFT could have e.g. retained rights to re-use character names or pay ANet a nominal fee to license such use.

That would make sense.

That’s what happened with Elder Scrolls Online – Bethesda owns the rights to the Elder Scrolls Franchise but for practical purposes didn’t want to be the ones running the MMO, so their parent company (Zenimax Media) set up a new studio (Zenimax Online Studios) and Bethesda granted them permission to use the Elder Scrolls IP.

It’s sort of the same with the GW2 merchandise – Arenanet will retain ownership of the images but Iam8bit and Welovefine have been given permission to use those images on merchandise they sell.

Vayne.8563

Yep but Guild Wars 1 wasn’t actually released till 2005. For the entire life of the game as players knew it, was owned by NcSoft.

My best guess is that the six guys working in someone’s living room (yes, that’s what has been said) needed more money to fund the game moving forward, which is why they made the deal with NcSoft.

Behellagh.1468

Yep but Guild Wars 1 wasn’t actually released till 2005. For the entire life of the game as players knew it, was owned by NcSoft.

My best guess is that the six guys working in someone’s living room (yes, that’s what has been said) needed more money to fund the game moving forward, which is why they made the deal with NcSoft.

I was simply informing the thread that NCSOFT didn’t create ANet as one implied.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Your ping wouldn’t even be remotely as good as it is if you were pinging to seattle from europe hun. There’s european servers in europe.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Is NCsoft the bad guys here? Or what’s up?

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Just a flesh wound.3589

Is NCsoft the bad guys here? Or what’s up?

Among some other things, they pulled the plug on one of their MMOs named City of Heroes. That earned them a lot of hate from those players, and others who fear they could do the same thing to their other MMOs if they aren’t profitable enough. (There are people who post on this forum whose signature references that MMO.)

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Kickstarters are great for companies that don’t have backers or money. Using one for a company that either has a backer or has a product that produces good revenue would be consumers throwing away their money by failing to demand a quality product/service for their money.