GW2 Linux Support

GW2 Linux Support

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Balmung.7804

Balmung.7804

Here Arena.net, I would like to know when a version (even beta) of GW2 for linux will be available, since today it is only possible to run using Wine (which does not run 100% and with really low performance compared to what runs Usually in Windows). Is there any forecast? Thank you!

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In the past, the Devs have stated they have no plans to create a Linux client. No idea if they will change their minds about that in the future.

Good luck.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Note: there have been recent discussions about using wine 2.0 with macOS to run the 64-bit client. You may want to consult those for advice on performance improvements.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

I got Guild Wars 2 to work on my old laptop running Linux. Got about the same performance when running Windows on the laptop.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Maggotpez.7598

Maggotpez.7598

GW2 is the only time I run winblows. Everytime I take a break from GW2 I reinstall Manjaro.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Koronin.6785

Koronin.6785

Get a nice boot loader, then you are always prepared!

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Get a nice boot loader, then you are always prepared!

KVM omvf gpu passtrough and run both oses at same time :P

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

/wave

Another GW2 customer here who only uses Windows to play a couple of games and uses Linux for everything else. If GW2 had a native Linux client I would be content to remove Windows entirely, as GW2 is really the only game I actually play anymore.

Windows had a good run, but I personally haven’t needed it for the better part of a decade, apart from playing DirectX games.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

why dont you use an amd card with gallium nine?

The performance should be near native.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Blackbeard.4356

Blackbeard.4356

@Balmung.7804
I’ve got some information about what you might need.
I’ve been playing gw2 on linux mint 18 for some time. Currently playing it on Elementary OS (linux) operating system.
Using POL ( play on linux ) program that runs with wine for making gw2 happen.
[here](http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/guild-wars-2-guide.1566/) is a good link how to do it. ( I’m using newest wine version, 2.0-stagging ) and all the rest from tutorial is the same.
I got some older dual-core CPU so that makes my performance worst in some cases but I run game on ( 30 fps standard, 10 fps on high crowds, and 60+ fps in less populated places in game). If you have better CPU then this numbers goes higher except maybe for high crowded places ( events, etc. ).
Important thing if you maybe didn’t do before and that is to install drivers for graphics card otherwise linux uses default ones that are not even close compatible for playing gw2.
There is much more into it, but for now tell me if this helped you anything.

GW2 Linux Support

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

why dont you use an amd card with gallium nine?

The performance should be near native.

Honestly, it’s easier to just dual boot Windows and actually get 100% of the performance of my R9 270 in games made for Windows, ya know? Right tool for the job and all that.