GW2 Localization

GW2 Localization

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: deanven.5830

deanven.5830

Hello, Guild Wars community!

I was told by support to post my inquiry here, and also that someone named Gaile Gray could provide me with answers to my questions.

The point is, that I was considering to localize Guild Wars 2 into Polish language. It was supposed to be the subject of my MA thesis (since I am enrolled in translation studies). I contacted support and got an answer that unfortunately at the moment the game does not support Polish language, but it “could very well change in the near future”. So, since I still have much time until the deadline, and I would really love to translate this game, I am not giving up. My question is therefore as follows: assuming that compatibility with Polish is established in this forementioned “near future”, is such project possible from technical perspective? I have some experience in game translations, but have always worked with extracted files, dialogues, quest & items descriptions, etc. I do not have much knowledge about how to “dig” into the right files to find what I want, and I would assume some aid from the developers would be necessary in this case.

Thank you in advance for any help! May the Force be with ya.

(edited by deanven.5830)

GW2 Localization

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m not sure you would get any developer assistance for this. There is a massive massive amount of text in the game and it is scattered across many many places. A single player game might be a better subject for that kind of thesis?
As it is you’ve also got to remember that a large amount of the game is voice acted, and often without a text equivalent, meaning that you’d be either trying to listen to hundreds of hours of dialogue in order to translate it, or just have to ignore spoken text.

If you’re wanting to translate the game and implement the translation, then that’s not really going to be possible. I don’t think you can apply changes to the client from your end (and doing so would be a breach of the EULA) and Arenanet isn’t going to use a fan translation on the actual game client as there would be legal issues with doing so.