GW2 Mounts

GW2 Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leafy.5407

Leafy.5407

Q:

Quick Question, initially GW2 promised that they would never add mounts and now I see they will be added in PoF. Not that I mind mounts but does anyone know why the change in thinking and game design on this point?

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

A:

They didn’t say they would never have mounts, only that they would not have mounts. They also said they would increase the level cap, but then turned around with HoT and said they would never do it. Mounts have been a thing since the beginning of GW1, but only NPCs had access to them, skeletal horses and dolyaks for example. Mounts were added to GW2 years ago, the broom for example, but they’re only cosmetic.

Why are they finally adding mounts now? Mounts are one of the most popular items in MMOs and are easy to sell. Just look at how many people have store gliders. Mounts will be far more commonly used and there are multiple types. They’re just trying to appeal to more people and raise profits after they took a hit with HoT.

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They never promised or ever ruled out mounts from what I remember. They said they would not be part of launch.

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

They never promised or ever ruled out mounts from what I remember. They said they would not be part of launch.

Actually Randulf they did before GW2 came out several years ago, this was one of the distinguishing points about the game vs other MMOs

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s amazing how often rumor and player speculation become fact and promises from ArenaNet.

The Devs speak about Mounts and their implementation into the game at this time in a recent Guild Chat.

Good luck.

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

It’s amazing how often rumor and player speculation become fact and promises from ArenaNet.

The Devs speak about Mounts and their implementation into the game at this time in a recent Guild Chat.

Good luck.

Well Inculpatus, it is neither rumor or player speculation I was there from the beginning of GW1 and GW2 and this was indeed one of their initial defining points. I’m just curious why the change in concept from the last two releases.

GW2 Mounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’d be most interested to see the quote(s), as I have researched this topic, and can only find the ‘Mounts won’t be available at release’ statement(s).

Again, the Devs speak about Mount implementation at this time in the aforementioned video.

Good luck.

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

I’d be most interested to see the quote(s), as I have researched this topic, and can only find the ‘Mounts won’t be available at release’ statement(s).

Again, the Devs speak about Mount implementation at this time in the aforementioned video.

Good luck.

Inculpatus, first of all a Google or Bing search is not research -.-, second I was there in 2011 and 2012 at the premier events when they made this statement, weather you remember them saying it or not, and lastly mounts have not been a part of GW 1 or 2 until PoF and I’m simply wondering why the change of concept. Also I have watched the video you mentioned and it does not talk about why the change only how they are embracing the change.

GW2 Mounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ok. In other words, you have no quotes. Thank you.

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Quick Question, initially GW2 promised that they would never add mounts and now I see they will be added in PoF. Not that I mind mounts but does anyone know why the change in thinking and game design on this point?

They never promised that they will never add mounts in the game. In fact they never participated in any of the mount threads ever nor they ever make an official announcement about it.

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

They didn’t say they would never have mounts, only that they would not have mounts. They also said they would increase the level cap, but then turned around with HoT and said they would never do it. Mounts have been a thing since the beginning of GW1, but only NPCs had access to them, skeletal horses and dolyaks for example. Mounts were added to GW2 years ago, the broom for example, but they’re only cosmetic.

Why are they finally adding mounts now? Mounts are one of the most popular items in MMOs and are easy to sell. Just look at how many people have store gliders. Mounts will be far more commonly used and there are multiple types. They’re just trying to appeal to more people and raise profits after they took a hit with HoT.

Thank you Healix, I agree they never said never but they did say they would not so yes that is exactly what I was asking why are they finally adding mounts now. Makes sense about raising profits and appealing to more people but part of me wonders if they are changing their core concept from the original model and how far will that change go.

GW2 Mounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

Inculpatus, first of all a Google or Bing search is not research -.-, second I was there in 2011 and 2012 at the premier events when they made this statement, weather you remember them saying it or not, and lastly mounts have not been a part of GW 1 or 2 until PoF and I’m simply wondering why the change of concept. Also I have watched the video you mentioned and it does not talk about why the change only how they are embracing the change.

Although, you can offer no quotes from 2011/12, here is one from July of 2011 that may, or may not, jog your memory:

Eric (Flannum): Any of the major (non-capturable) waypoints that a player has unlocked can be travelled to regardless of the distance involved. Prices do vary depending on distance though, and asura gates are free, so a player might find it advantageous to use asura gates in some circumstances. Other than waypoints and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2 upon initial release.

http://guildwars2.cz/otazky-odpovedi-pro-guildwars2-cz/2/

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

Good luck.

Although, you can offer no quotes from 2011/12, here is one from July of 2011 that may, or may not, jog your memory:

Eric (Flannum): Any of the major (non-capturable) waypoints that a player has unlocked can be travelled to regardless of the distance involved. Prices do vary depending on distance though, and asura gates are free, so a player might find it advantageous to use asura gates in some circumstances. Other than waypoints and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2 upon initial release.

http://guildwars2.cz/otazky-odpovedi-pro-guildwars2-cz/2/

Inculpatus, unless you are calling me a liar, I’m telling you I was there and that is what was said. The premier event with guest speakers at GW2 launch 2011-2012.

GW2 Mounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Then, I’m sure there are videos of and articles covering the premier event with guest speakers at GW2 launch 2011-2012. Perhaps, you could offer up a link? Thank you.

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Good luck.

Well Inculpatus, it is neither rumor or player speculation I was there from the beginning of GW1 and GW2 and this was indeed one of their initial defining points. I’m just curious why the change in concept from the last two releases.

The thing is Anet doesn’t “technically” throw things off the table. Ideas are either accepted or rejected based on need, design investment, and engine investment. Because of the Waypoints, there is no NEED for mounts in this game. So when they were looking for new toys for PoF, they came to mounts under the reasoning of furthering new Map designs, taking advantage of the large space supported by the engine now, and focused them as a proper “mobility tool” in order to differentiate it from bland MMO tropes.

Guildwars 2 is unusual in that its one of the few MMOs that takes full advantage of platformer game design. So in order to justify the existence of Mounts, they’re taking this concept to a new extreme, and leveraging it directly into the map design to give them express purpose. For most MMOs, mounts are just things that get you around faster then walking. With the way GW2 is using them, entire maps in Elona are effectively large scale jumping puzzles.

It not a matter of them “changing their minds” about something…… so much as they figured out a way that makes them worth doing (without looking like a cop out); thus are now putting effort into it.

GW2 Mounts

Leafy.5407

Good luck.

The thing is Anet doesn’t “technically” throw things off the table. Ideas are either accepted or rejected based on need, design investment, and engine investment. Because of the Waypoints, there is no NEED for mounts in this game. So when they were looking for new toys for PoF, they came to mounts under the reasoning of furthering new Map designs, taking advantage of the large space supported by the engine now, and focused them as a proper “mobility tool” in order to differentiate it from bland MMO tropes.

Guildwars 2 is unusual in that its one of the few MMOs that takes full advantage of platformer game design. So in order to justify the existence of Mounts, they’re taking this concept to a new extreme, and leveraging it directly into the map design to give them express purpose. For most MMOs, mounts are just things that get you around faster then walking. With the way GW2 is using them, entire maps in Elona are effectively large scale jumping puzzles.

It not a matter of them “changing their minds” about something…… so much as they figured out a way that makes them worth doing (without looking like a cop out); thus are now putting effort into it.

Thank you Starlinvf, I think that is a good way to look at it. Are you guys looking forward to the mounts change?

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Note in that quote it says “upon initial release.” That’s not “never.”

Also in the Mounts stream this week when talking about initial designs and choosing what to do with mounts there was an off hand reference to “we worked on that one for at least a year.” Plus I had a friend who toured ANet studios 3 or 4 years ago and saw them working on mounts (my friend stayed super quiet about it due to respecting NDA).

This is not a sudden thing.

GW2 Mounts

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s a more recent quote (August 2017):

GamesBeat: Why wait until now to introduce mounts to Guild Wars 2?

Roy Cronacher: Mounts were always something that we had in our minds as a possible addition to Guild Wars 2.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/29/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-designer-explains-why-their-mounts-stand-out-in-the-mmo-crowd/

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The rest of your post is well-founded but I think this bit is inaccurate. They were working on mounts well before HoT came out. They didn’t know HoT would “take a hit” (if it did) when they started.

GW2 Mounts

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Why now? Movement features heavily in HoT Masteries. It will feature (maybe heavily) in PoF Masteries. It was an idea whose time had come.