Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

-pokes the forum bug-

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

GW2 Races need a Chubby option

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There shouldn’t be chunks of flesh outside of the armor. The armor would expand along with the character model. Sort of like how the same armor model is used with humans and norn. The armor model just gets bigger. And with a chubby option, it’s just a matter of the continued expansion of the armor width.

Or you can just make trenchcoats for light and heavy armors.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I can see what a lot of folks are saying about our characters running everywhere, but I will counter with 2 things:

A) How many of you see the same players chilling out in Divinity’s Reach all day, every day, for the like the past 3 years? You think they are still gonna be all lean and fit after basically sitting on their rears that whole time being loafs?

B) Look at what the people in this world eat. You wash down your carbs with more carbs and only take a break from that to eat a tiny amount of fruit mixed probably with something high in fat.

Honestly, if we’re going for realism, I’d say have the characters that have been made in this game would roll like a beach-ball down the hill at the gates of DR if they tripped, considering how little exercise they get and what they would be eating.

Just saying.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I tried to make my Asura as chubby as he can XD

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

I am also in favor of more body type choices.

(Pic 1) I have a Zuko toon and he is lost and confused without the guidance of his dear Uncle Iroh.

Off-topic, but meh…
You’ve pulled off a fairly accurate Zuko! I’m kittened impressed with it.

Thanks! I always appreciate a compliment.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I think this is a great idea. Then we can bring fat shaming to GW2 just like in real life. Should add anorexic mode too.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Yeah, like others stated, if lore and running around are you excuses for not having rotund character models, there are many who just sit at the TP, sit at the Mystic Toilet, sit at JP chests, sit at popular gathering spots. Even if they’re traveling, what if they fly around everywhere on a magic carpet? Even then, Kasmeer wears illusion clothing and is actually naked. So it is literally in lore that you can maintain an illusion constantly to look however you want.

If you think there are already fat options because Norn, Charr, and Asura already have them, well… What about the other races? And broad Charr and Asura don’t really look properly plump to me.

Clipping issues are the only real problems I see so far in this thread and even that I err on the side of SP as there are many varying proportions that have no clipping issues. If any arise I imagine Anet would be capable of fixing them. They’ve adjusted things before.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Even then, Kasmeer wears illusion clothing and is actually naked. So it is literally in lore that you can maintain an illusion constantly to look however you want.

so basically your character should be able to use a mesmer illusion to look chubby

i mean i don’t have any argument against this

um

…hm

…anet, illusory chubby people please

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

I want to become a fat charr. Anet needs to make this happen

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

There shouldn’t be chunks of flesh outside of the armor. The armor would expand along with the character model. Sort of like how the same armor model is used with humans and norn. The armor model just gets bigger. And with a chubby option, it’s just a matter of the continued expansion of the armor width.

Or you can just make trenchcoats for light and heavy armors.

Have you not seen how badly things clip with charr, or norn women with their thighs popping out of their leggings? They turned the monk outfit in to a fatter bell skirt because the norn ladies couldn’t keep their thighs from cutting through. Things do not “Stretch” as well as you seem to think they do. They need to seriously fix some of the current clipping and figure out how to get things to lay properly on the current bodies before adding in more.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Diversity isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but in this case it would be completely immersion-breaking. With all of that fighting and running around, I can’t see any character being chubby.

-cough-waypoints-cough-break-cough-immersion-cough-

There is an explanation for waypoints though. I want to know how you will explain a chubby adventurer.

Because he took waypoints everywhere?????? lol

+1 I would love to have chubby options for a character, also an update for Accessories and colours.

#fatshame #anorexicsonly.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’d like a lot of things.

However!

Keep in mind that the number one reason we get for there being so little armor added to the game is body morphologies.

I really don’t want to add more fuel to Anet’s “but we can’t do that” fire.

Would it be awesome to have more body model options? Yes. Is it a good use of Anet’s famously nitpicky, iterative, and mostly cash shop driven asset pipeline? No.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I’m all in favor of adding fatter character models as long as they come with a -25% movement speed. :p

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I’m all in favor of adding fatter character models as long as they come with a -25% movement speed. :p

lol, can they get +25% effectiveness from Mango Pie?

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

Character speed should also scale with body size. If you want realism, then an obese character is going to be limited to combat speed without swiftness.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Character speed should also scale with body size. If you want realism, then an obese character is going to be limited to combat speed without swiftness.

I actually thought that this was going to be the case when I saw the original teaser trailer pre-launch. There was an asura mesmer doing all sorts of crazy acrobatics and figured that they’d be faster too. (Similarly I thought maybe that which norn spirit creature you chose could influence your stats)

It would’ve been cool to have more diversity between the races in this respect, but at the end of the day it means that certain races are better/more niche for certain tasks. It forces people to play rigidly and reduces customisability and even the connection you may have for your character.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

The “it’s not realistic” argument is pretty absurd here.

Some people can get a lot of exercise and still be heavy (eg thyroid issues). Some people can be heavy and still kick your kitten. Some fighters can use their weight to their advantage. It’s not unrealistic at all.

PS My norn necro is both chubby and sports a huge moustache. I was going for the Otto Von Bismark look.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Diversity isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but in this case it would be completely immersion-breaking. With all of that fighting and running around, I can’t see any character being chubby.

dunno, Linnea is kinda chubby, and she fights and runs places. her body shape isn’t available though.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Linnea#vendor1

norns are bulky, yes. make a norn female and scroll through the options.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Heh. Something Mr. Penguin and I can agree on In my case, I want to go the other direction though. I want a spindly Norn, not one that looks like he’s made of hams.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Some people can get a lot of exercise and still be heavy (eg thyroid issues).

No one’s thyroid defies the laws of thermodynamics.

If someone’s still heavy despite rigorous aerobic exercise, it’s because they’re eating more calories than they burn off.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

I think they should add a system to the game like Fable has, if you eat things like vegetables you get skinnier and if you eat things like pie you get fatter. That would be amazing and make it feel more real. Every time some one puts out a plate of pies on the game I just stand there and keep clicking on it eating as many as I can and just thinking, kitten why ain’t she getting chubbier this is not very realistic at all, if I ate a whole plate of pies in real life I’d probably gain like 10 pounds.

Posted by: ExtraCosmic.9082

ExtraCosmic.9082

More variety is always nice, but the clipping issues impact to armor variety would be significant. My Norn male’s nose already clips through the Norn cultural armor made just for that face, so “they could fix it” doesn’t really convince me. And width sliders look terrible to begin with. I think the real issue with adding it, though, is it would require engine changes if you want it to look anything but ghastly, rather than just slapping on a few new body options.

As an aside, it being “unrealistic” because of the character running everywhere is already unrealistic in the opposite direction. You can’t run everywhere, all the time, regardless of how in-shape you are. Realistically my character’s knees would have exploded long ago.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I think there should be a chubby body option too, not morbidly obese, but there are heavier adventurers too, even if they run a lot.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I think there should be a chubby body option too, not morbidly obese, but there are heavier adventurers too, even if they run a lot.

This is pretty much what I’m thinking. Norn males have an option like that, it would be pretty cool to get that for the other races as well… although I’m not sure about sylvari, specifically if it’s even possible for them to have a heavier body type.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Some people can get a lot of exercise and still be heavy (eg thyroid issues).

No one’s thyroid defies the laws of thermodynamics.

If someone’s still heavy despite rigorous aerobic exercise, it’s because they’re eating more calories than they burn off.

• How many calories you burn for a given act varies from person to person.
  • How many calories you retain from the same food eaten varies from person to person.
  • How much fat you store/burn from the difference varies from person to person.
  • Where extra calories go and where needed calories come from varies from person to person.

Thyroid issues can mean that you effectively don’t burn fat, even if you exercise. Instead, the energy can come out of things like body temperature, or more likely, you just can’t burn calories at all.

Weight gain is not as simple as quantity of food eaten minus hours of exercise.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Heavier set players can be heroes too. And to those who want to try and compare chubby warriors in real life, think again. This is the #1 fantasy game in the world. Where else can you jump off an airship, land, and just WP to town like nothing happened? So if I can survive a fall like that, I can kill dragons with my XXXL armor.

Posted by: zeronatras.3280

zeronatras.3280

So…This community don’t want bra’s on Asura and Charr but prefer to have fat characters.
Well, that escalated quickly.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

What about left handed characters?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I want an option for massive boobs. Because I have them IRL so I’d like to be able to properly represent myself in game. I feel that the current options are discriminatory to those of us who have been amply blessed in the chest department and I’d like more armour options to show them off.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Ellie.5913

I want an option for massive boobs. Because I have them IRL so I’d like to be able to properly represent myself in game. I feel that the current options are discriminatory to those of us who have been amply blessed in the chest department and I’d like more armour options to show them off.

I second that! Not all of us are teeny tiny scrawny curveless stick figures and dress like nuns, let us be how we are in real life with body shape AND armor/outfit styles, please.

Smooth Penguin.5294

The answer to Bella and Ellie’s problem would be to code in some additional body sliders. Other games have done so to much success.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

okay, bigger boobs, as long as male charcters get to choose a big butt too then.

Ellie.5913

okay, bigger boobs, as long as male charcters get to choose a big butt too then.

I think we all should get to choose a bigger butt, why do we have to be so flat….

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

In Japan, Sumo are some of the healthiest and athletic people on the planet. In wrestling, The Big Show can do a moonsault.

/epicfacepalm.gif

1) https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/2wnilh/are_sumo_wrestlers_healthy/

https://www.quora.com/Are-sumo-wrestlers-more-likely-than-other-people-to-have-health-problems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo#Life_as_a_professional_sumo_wrestler

The negative health effects of the sumo lifestyle can become apparent later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. Many develop diabetes or high blood pressure, and they are prone to heart attacks due to the enormous amount of fat they accumulate. The excessive intake of alcohol can lead to liver problems and the stress on their joints due to their excess weight can cause arthritis. Recently, the standards of weight gain are becoming less strict, in an effort to improve the overall health of the wrestlers

2) The Big Show has plenty of muscle mass, he’s not a ball of fat. And also WWE is not even a real sport. It’s a show, it’s all staged.

Games are not the most healthy thing, the last thing they need to do is to promote more healthy things. There’s nothing OK to be “chubby”. Go outside and do sports.

Enough with your disinformation.

(edited by Bigsexy.8302)

Posted by: Moderator

[We appreciate the feedback, but this discussion has gone off course. It is now closed.]