GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

There is no way GW2 offers anything remotely close to Rift in terms of Class
differentiation

The amount of specs available in Rift is absolutely silly. Oh, and viable builds only.

Not only did you have the “pure builds” you had all the hybrid ones as well.

I can actually name some of the “builds” off that were played back then on Mages

44 Necro
32 Necro/32 Warlock
32 Necro/32 Dom
44 Pyro/11 Necro (this was nerfed early on)
32 Storm Caller/32 Warlock
32 pyro/32 Warlock
51 Pyro
51 Stormcaller
32 Chloro/32 Dom
32 Dom/16 Chloro/16 PvP Soul
51 Archon
32 Pyro/32 Elementalist
32 Ele/32 Warlock

Thats all the ones i can think of off the top of my head only for Mage, there are more…

There are at several times that many builds available to just an Elementalist focussing on fire and dual daggers.

Multiply that by four elements…

Multiply that by the five weapon combination options…

and Elementalist alone has probably in the neighborhood of eighty to one hundred times as many builds as you list.

but I still never really got an idea of who he was, because he was always changing.

Isnt this pretty much possible in GW2 as well ? Switching from support to tank to DPS with little effort ?

OK that works for the Ele, now try doing that with the Ranger or necro. Oh, and viable builds only.

(edited by Galphar.3901)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

differentiation

The amount of specs available in Rift is absolutely silly.

I can actually name some of the “builds” off that were played back then on Mages

44 Necro
32 Necro/32 Warlock
32 Necro/32 Dom
32 pyro/32 Warlock
51 Pyro
51 Stormcaller
32 Chloro/32 Dom
51 Archon
32 Pyro/32 Elementalist
32 Ele/32 Warlock

Thats all the ones i can think of off the top of my head only for Mage, there are more…

There are at several times that many builds available to just an Elementalist focussing on fire and dual daggers.

and Elementalist alone has probably in the neighborhood of eighty to one hundred times as many builds as you list.

but I still never really got an idea of who he was, because he was always changing.

Isnt this pretty much possible in GW2 as well ? Switching from support to tank to DPS with little effort ?

It’s possible, but it’s not the same because you have to actually go somewhere, pay money for it. In Rift, you had a soul and everything was switch on the fly.

For example, I could go into a dungeon in Rift, fight as a healing priest for one battle, click one button and everything changes, including my “attributes”, and the skills I had. Yeah, it was convenient as hell…but I never got the feel of who I was.

I might change sometimes in Guild Wars 2, but I’m changing to make my character more like he/she would be. It’s sort of like RPing without the interaction. I call it immersion play. My characters have back stories. I know who they are. This was much much harder for me to do in Rift…because every change was at your fingertips and your guild expected you to change.

I was playing this sort of dark semi-bad guy cleric and my guildies would come on and nag me until I healed for them. Honestly it didn’t take much nagging, because I’m a guild guy, but the act of healing was so against what the character was designed to be (essentially a DPS guy that used dark energy to damage foes) that it killed any enjoyment I might have had playing him.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Wyre.7458

Wyre.7458

It’s too bad it takes both rift and gw2 to kill wow… And it’s mostly because wow is just plain old. Otherwise, wow would hold the title FOREVER!!!!!

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

ummmm, though it’s a different genre World of Tanks has 60 million registered users and is the biggest online game there has ever been and it is still growing. And with the release of War Thunder (planes) Wargaming is the largest online gaming company in the world. The keys to their success? Clint is server side-I have never in 2 years seen a single hack nor heard of one reported on their forums and the end game is all about skill. You can’t farm some special laser gun by running endless dungeons or extra thick armor by doing dailies til you want to stab knitting needles in your eyes. Everyone gets the same tanks. If GW2 had stuck to the original manifesto, imo, it would be way more successful than it is now. You want to be a winner then pattern yourself after proven winners. WoW USED to be the king, WoT IS the king now. Argue all you want but I’ll bet WoT has more active users then every mmorpg combined. Make an mmorpg and pattern it after WoT=win.

SoR FTW

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

the 5 trait lines are poor methods of differentiation imo, since you can have numerous amounts of different trait combinations that play more or less the same exact way as each other.

the way i see it, in 5 trait lines you can get maybe 3 distinctive roles (defense, offense, and support)

You forget the variation you get from utility skills and weapon skills as well.
I think this boils down to personal opinion and play-style. I much prefer playing a fully fleshed out gw2 class with various interchangeable options from utility skills, weapon skills and traits. Off the top of my head I can think of at least six different ways of playing my thief in GW2 just from weapon combinations alone, then I could further expand that depending on what gear and traits I am using and that is just for WvW.

If I wanted to my style of play in Rift I had Nightblade. That’s it and there was very little variation in how to play it.

What really separates the two games is that GW2 doesn’t have dedicated healing classes.
you have your three sorcerer types, you have three roguish types, you have two warrior types and the healing is spread out among them and they are all subpar unless you work together with combos and finishers. Take away the Cleric Archtype in Rift and GW2 has more options.

At the end of the day, Rift forced you into cookie cutter builds. I don’t ever want to have a healing or tank role as an option in a damage class because it becomes expected that you play that role. I play a thief because I enjoy that role, whether it be scout, combo blaster, Conditioner, glass cannon or controller.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

differentiation

The amount of specs available in Rift is absolutely silly.

44 Necro
32 Necro/32 Warlock
32 Necro/32 Dom
32 pyro/32 Warlock
51 Pyro
51 Stormcaller
32 Chloro/32 Dom
51 Archon
32 Pyro/32 Elementalist
32 Ele/32 Warlock

Yea..Umm no

What you’re describing is abilities, not actual builds.

D/D Ele’s Go pretty much the same spec, They might slightly switch up gear..But its pretty much the same spec.

In fact, Your spec is pretty much determined by what weapons you use on a Ele

S/D D/D and Staff with their appropriate builds are pretty much the only specs for Ele’s at this point.

You don’t just “focus” on one element either..like Fire for example..If you’re a D/D ele, you’re going to be swapping into every single element following a rotation.

In terms of build Diversity, You actually don’t have a whole lot on Elementalist..a Necromancer for example has far more available builds then you.

AS for Abilities themselves…rift had so many abilities available you had to use a Macro system to make it manageable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

(edited by Xsorus.2507)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

No MMO released right now will kill WoW. WoW is like the smoking, drinking uncle you have that despite all his bad habits, still manages to outlive all his other relatives. Eventually he’ll die (they all die in the end), but from old age, not from someone stabbing him in an alleyway.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

the 5 trait lines are poor methods of differentiation imo, since you can have numerous amounts of different trait combinations that play more or less the same exact way as each other.

the way i see it, in 5 trait lines you can get maybe 3 distinctive roles (defense, offense, and support)

You forget the variation you get from utility skills and weapon skills as well.
I think this boils down to personal opinion and play-style. I much prefer playing a fully fleshed out gw2 class with various interchangeable options from utility skills, weapon skills and traits. Off the top of my head I can think of at least six different ways of playing my thief in GW2 just from weapon combinations alone, then I could further expand that depending on what gear and traits I am using and that is just for WvW.

If I wanted to my style of play in Rift I had Nightblade. That’s it and there was very little variation in how to play it.

What really separates the two games is that GW2 doesn’t have dedicated healing classes.
you have your three sorcerer types, you have three roguish types, you have two warrior types and the healing is spread out among them and they are all subpar unless you work together with combos and finishers. Take away the Cleric Archtype in Rift and GW2 has more options.

At the end of the day, Rift forced you into cookie cutter builds. I don’t ever want to have a healing or tank role as an option in a damage class because it becomes expected that you play that role. I play a thief because I enjoy that role, whether it be scout, combo blaster, Conditioner, glass cannon or controller.

I feel this post is wrong. I just can’t put my foot on what is wrong.

I think it’s the “Cleric Archtype” comment. Followed by the healing/tank role for a damage class in Rift. And maybe the playing the Nightblade “how you want it.”

Let me take this step by step. “Cleric Archtype” doesn’t really fit any calling in Rift. While Cleric does exist, there exist no cleric archtype. I say Cleric Archtype doesn’t exist because no calling is just limited to healing role, damage role, support role, or tank role. There are healing souls in Rift such as Sentinel or Chloromancer, but there is no such thing as a “Cleric Archtype.”

Secondly, as stated above; there is no such thing as a “damage calling.” There are offensive souls, which deal damage, and are located in all four callings. If you take the number of damage souls in each calling, they outnumber their non-damage souls. Seriously, the “Cleric” calling has more damage souls than healing souls. What I think is going on is thinking that Warrior=Tank or Rogue=Damage, which in Rift does not ring true.

Thirdly, Nightblade cannot be played differently. But the thing is you are reversing Nightblade and Rogue. Rogue is the base calling, while Nightblade is a way of playing Rogue. You can play/build Rogue differently, not the souls that are inside them.

I love both Guild Wars 2 and Rift. I want to see both games succeed. But, there is hardly any use trying to compare the combat/classes of both games on a 1:1 scale. It’s like trying to compare an apple and cheese. Sure, they’re both food and provide sustenance, but it just doesn’t fit on the proper comparison scale.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

GW2 + Rift + Ps4 + The Elder Scrolls Online + whatever != WoW killer.
IMO.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Cleric was the name of the calling wasn’t it? So I used Archtype when I meant calling, point being, GW2 doesn’t have a chain armoured Cleric profession. I played Rift from from the first open beta until GW2 open beta, I’m very familiar with both games and I still consider GW2 to have the superior class system. I agree that they are both different to the point that they can’t really be compared fairly, but I stand by my opinion that 8 fully fleshed out gw2 professions are better than four callings with a variety of souls, many of which have little to no synergy with each other.

If you don’t agree with my opinion, you don’t agree with it, it’s just an opinion.
I would never go back to a game that only had four callings.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

GW2 + Rift + Ps4 + The Elder Scrolls Online + whatever != WoW killer.
IMO.

I’d rather a game not try to be a WoW Killer and have its own agenda and goals instead

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

Rift is same crap as WoW same combat mechanics, talent trees (souls), soul less characters (cant create unique looking character), same battlegrounds…

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Okay so I had a cleric in Rift and I wanted to go DPS. There was precisely 1 way to do that. That is to say the same skills, the same tree, the same everything I had my entire rotation macroed to three keys. The combat so dull…I wish I’d never heard of a macro.

Now I could lower my DPS and that was fine for the open world, but once you hit the dungeons and raids that had the enrage timer, you needed a minimum amount of damage to do the boss before he pretty much automatically wiped everybody. It was a DSP check on most bosses. So you had to kill them within that certain time limit. Which means you had to use the most efficient build, whether you liked it or not.

Frankly it sucked. I don’t mind taking longer to kill a boss in Guild Wars 2, as long as I have the freedom to kill him the way I want. And since I had out with people who enjoy the same thing, I’m not inconveniencing anyone by playing that way.

I dont’ think it’s an advantage to just have a most efficient equation for skills/damage that you have to use, or else. Sounds to me like a lot of wasted skills. I’d rather play the way I want and have fun.

Pretty much what Guild Wars 2 was designed for. You may not be the most efficient, but you can still bring builds that aren’t the most efficient and still clear content.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Thinly disguised trinity thread is thinly disguised.

Trinity will not come back.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

…There’s some things like housing and mounts that I hope to see in GW2 someday, but other things like raiding that would make me quit immediately.

Seriously?

Raiding would make you quit because?!?!?!?

I’m surprised you play GW2 at all tbh… I mean there must be at least one thing in GW2 you don’t like… yet you still play?

Because raiding means gear grind, means the best gear will come from that content, and GW2 doesn’t need that.
Raiding isn’t just adding 10 or 25 man content to the game, it’s all the consequences of that which would completely ruin GW2 and turn it into just another bad WoW clone like Rift.
And raiding also brings in a kind of elitist player base that I rather not see in GW2. I know what I’m talking about, I’ve been raiding up to hardcore for 8 years in WoW.
If I want raids, I’ll reactivate my two WoW accounts and go for it. I play GW2 and enjoy it so much because it’s different.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Only thing that’s going to kill WoW is Titan.
Just like the only thing that killed GW1 was GW2

Rift + GW2 equals Wildstar. NCSoft was one step ahead of you.

also borderlands. they spared no expense in lifting material. its like disney’s toon town in space jam for people who can’t aim well enough in BL’s and firefall, and couldn’t dodge/block fast enough in this game. I hope it has a lot of success anyway just so that NC doesn’t feel pressured to make cuts elsewhere should it not go as planned… Last time things didn’t go as planned, GW’s sister-game COH got the axe. They’d probably just flip a coin at this point when deciding between Aion and GW1’s servers ..

(edited by ilr.9675)

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

Rift + GW2 equals Wildstar. NCSoft was one step ahead of you.

Wildstar is being overhyped just like GW2 was. In the end, the people who like the game will play it, the one’s that don’t will leave and play something else.

Also it’s hosted by NCsoft. Let’s watch how they turn it into a grindfest in a month after release.

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

They’d probably just flip a coin at this point when deciding between Aion and GW1’s servers ..

GW1 servers are scalable and run parallel on the GW2 servers. There’s a very nice video about that somewhere. Tech guy explaining it if someone knows where to find it.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

GW2 +Rift==WoW Killer

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread is now more related to another game rather than Guild Wars 2, it will be closed.

While we can understand the need to make comparisons, please remember that the Forums are meant to discuss about Guild Wars 2 and its universe.

Thank you for your understanding.

(edited by Moderator.6837)