GW2 Sale and its downfall

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AhmiraSoulrage.1387

AhmiraSoulrage.1387

Ok, the sale to bring people into GW2 was a great idea. Finely got my fiancee to join me as it was so cheap to get.
Sadly, he can’t play because my world and our cross-game guild is on JQ and its been full since the start of the sale. WTH?
Why bother getting people to join when they can’t play unless we’re forced to server transfer. AND EVEN THEN can’t because world is full…As well as instead requiring me to transfer to a new server when all are Very High and I loose out on the Guild I’ve been a part of since BEFORE I started GW2?
So much discouraging people to play when they have no way to play with their friends and family.

Posted by: Moersel.1320

Moersel.1320

You’re right. There really is NO way at all to play with your friends and family with this whole megaserver system. Such a shame.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol.. are you aware that the only case in which you have to be on the same home world as someone to play with them is WvW?

Also, servers can’t have infinite capacity. This is a problem that every popular MMO has had. That’s just what you get for bandwagoning onto a popular server before it filled up.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So… what is the point of this thread?
Telling ArenaNet that they should not have any sales, or telling ArenaNet that they should allow unlimited amount of people on the servers?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Every single MMO sale and it’s downfall.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Unless you, your guild, and your fiance are heavily into WvW (and only WvW) I don’t see a valid complaint here.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

You can literally do everything except WvW with your friend regardless of server.

And if you’re trying to get them in to WvW then you need to keep trying to sneak in just like everyone else. If what you seem to be suggesting was possible the server balance would be even more abysmal than it currently is for WvW.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The MegaServer allows players from any server (within a region) to play together (excluding WvW). The changes to Guild functions allows players to access all Guild functions from any server. Why would you lose out on your ‘cross-game guild’? Why must you transfer (unless you are referring to WvW-play exclusively)?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

The Megaservers allow you to play with people on different worlds. You are only pitted against them in EOTM and WVW if you are on different home servers.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

is that really an issue outside of WvW, which you don´t specifically bring up? Even guilds can be cross server or is that incorrect?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Servers only matter if you are planning to WvW together. If you are doing PvE or PvP, you can be on any server as long as you are in the same server group (NA or EU) and you can play together with absolutely no problems at all.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Guilds have been cross-server (meaning all servers with a chapter of that guild have had those guilds all merged into one) for months now. And your fiance only needs to be on your server to play with your world in wvw. So, you’re kind of freaking out over nothing.

AhmiraSoulrage.1387

obviously I dont understand how this megaserver thing works. So since you all are in agreement that I’m stupid, can you explain how you find your friends from other servers. How you ensure your in the same group or whatnot. guild invites work like friends? I’ll try to understand the linked post when I’m not working

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

obviously I dont understand how this megaserver thing works. So since you all are in agreement that I’m stupid, can you explain how you find your friends from other servers. How you ensure your in the same group or whatnot. guild invites work like friends? I’ll try to understand the linked post when I’m not working

Guild are cross-server.

All maps in PvE is also shared by all servers (of the specific region).

When you join a group and go to a map it should put you in the same map, if not you can right-click on the portrait of the other person and press Join in [map name] that will move you to the same version of the map, unless said map is full. Then the other person can join you instead.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Ahmira, it sounds like you don’t play WvW, and so you will be able to play with your fiancé by adding him to your friends list via his in-game name, and then inviting him in your party. Have a nice time together in GW2.

That being said, this story ended well, but what if Ahmira did play a lot of WvW? She would have been separated from her loved one! In most european countries, we have a mechanism called “family reunification” that ensures that you can most of the time join a family member that legally resides in the country. It doesn’t exist in GW2. Anet, you’re in direct violation of the UNHCR rules!^^

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game makes copies (shards) of maps and opens and closes them as populations move in and out of a map. For example, there will be several map shards of a popular map such as Lions Arch running at one time.

The game actively tries to put you on the same map shard as friends, party members, guildies, and members of your own servers who are also on that map. If it can’t do so, it’s easy to join up with a party member by clicking on the portrait and selecting “join in (map name)” if that shard isn’t full, you will join your party member on that shard. If it is full, they can join you using the same method.

All the population of the NA and EU servers are pooled together and the computer sorts them out into different shards depending on whether they have the ties of friend/party/guild/server or not.

This means servers are not important for PvE or PvP. They are only a consideration if you want to WvW with someone or on a particular WvW tier.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

AhmiraSoulrage.1387

I thank you Lordkrall, Sorel, Just a flesh wound. I completely misunderstood the megaserver thing; All I figured was that it allowed you to play in more populated zones by merging a few servers of that zone together (which is true) but not that it was ALL worlds available. I’ve not really dealt with WvW but it sounds like it could be just something we do separate if we want to do it at all; but it doesn’t affect PvP/PvE.

Might still try a day or two to get him into JQ, but at least now its not as bad as it appeared. I’m assuming to friend cross world, you have to have their full name it IE AhmiraSoulrage1387 ?

To me I saw it as selling the game and not having some way for family/friends etc to play together without spending gems to transfer, and being quite pricy at that…. I really was freaking out <.<

Posted by: LowfatEnvelope.5934

LowfatEnvelope.5934

I’m assuming to friend cross world, you have to have their full name it IE AhmiraSoulrage1387 ?

You just need one of their character’s names if I remember correctly, but either should work. You do it the same way as adding a friend on your world.

L.F.E.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I thank you Lordkrall, Sorel, Just a flesh wound. I completely misunderstood the megaserver thing; All I figured was that it allowed you to play in more populated zones by merging a few servers of that zone together (which is true) but not that it was ALL worlds available. I’ve not really dealt with WvW but it sounds like it could be just something we do separate if we want to do it at all; but it doesn’t affect PvP/PvE.

Might still try a day or two to get him into JQ, but at least now its not as bad as it appeared. I’m assuming to friend cross world, you have to have their full name it IE AhmiraSoulrage1387 ?

To me I saw it as selling the game and not having some way for family/friends etc to play together without spending gems to transfer, and being quite pricy at that…. I really was freaking out <.<

Well, yeah, it’s easy to be upset if you think you won’t be able to play with friends and make an “upset” post. However y’all be able you play together in PvE anytime because of the way it’s set up. I have friends and guildies on multiple servers and the only way I know that they are on a different server is if I look at the guild list or the server list on the login screen (or if they can’t WvW with me). It’s that unimportant to PvE.

Y’all have fun in game.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

Also if you are in the same guild despite being in different servers, often you will end up on the same IP, if not you can just party up and right click on the portrait to join them in their map

Of course your complaint would have completely valid pre-megaservers but like Anet said they would add it and they did