GW2 Tax and Australians: Path of Fire.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glittergold.6823

Glittergold.6823

I was shocked that we were being taxed here. It increases the cost of the expansion by10 and 15 dollars after tax and currency conversion respectively. At first I thought we were being dumped in with the EURO VAT. After some digging I found the following:

In order to maintain the integrity of the tax system and offer a level playing field for domestic suppliers, the Government announced in the 2015–16 Budget that it would extend GST to offshore intangible supplies to Australian consumers with effect from 1 July 2017. The measure is estimated to generate a revenue gain of $350.0 million over the forward estimates period.3 
The key features of the ‘Netflix tax’ are as follows:
it will be imposed on intangible supplies such as supplies of digital content, games and software—but will also extend to consultancy and professional services performed offshore for customers in Australia
the liability for the GST will rest either with the supplier or with the operator of an electronic distribution service
GST will be imposed at a rate of 10 per cent on the value of the supply
at this stage it would appear that all intangible supplies will be caught, regardless of the value of the supply (currently goods valued of less than $1,000 from overseas suppliers over the internet imported by Australian consumers are not covered under the GST Act, hence it is likely there might be scope for this value of intangible supplies to be changed by regulation) and
only supplies made to consumers will be caught: business-to-business transactions will be exempt.4
Soon after the announcement of this budget measure, the government released an exposure draft Bill titled ‘Tax Laws Amendment (Tax Integrity: GST and Digital Products) Bill 2015’. Schedule 1 item 1 of this Bill would extend the scope of the GST to offshore supplies of services and intangibles to Australian consumers from 1 July 2017.5
The proposed Bill would also amend section 9-25 of the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (GST Act)6 in order to make supply of goods and services connected with the indirect tax zone (broadly, supplies made or done in Australia or made to Australia, excluding those geographic areas where the GST does not apply–principally the external territories) taxable supply for GST purposes, unless the supply is GST free or input taxed (section 9-5 of the GST Act).7
The proposed amendments would permit the making of regulations to provide for a modified GST registration and remittance scheme. If a foreign supplier of digital services has established an Australian operator (for example, iiNet/Netflix for the Netflix global company) of an electronic distribution service, the operator will be registered for GST purposes. However, entities will also be able to elect to have limited registration for GST. They will not then be able to access input tax credits. An industry-wide consultation will follow to determine the scope of these rules.8
Responsibility for GST liability may be shifted from the supplier to the operator. This would happen in certain circumstances where the operator controls any of the key elements of the supply such as delivery, charging or terms and conditions. Shifting responsibility for GST liability to operators is aimed at minimising compliance costs. It is expected that operators are generally better placed to comply and ensure that digital goods and services sourced in a similar manner are taxed in a similar way.9

My only question here is since the expansion is under $1000 Australian should we be paying taxes at all? Should these taxes be calculated in USD or Australian dollars?
You can see ArenaNet aren’t lying when they say they are following tax laws, but it seems a gray area about whether they should be charging Australians or not.

Posted by: lysico.1297

lysico.1297

Tax laws are not Anet issue. not sure what in the world you hope to accomplish here.

Posted by: JaBBa.3064

JaBBa.3064

Actually, it is Anet issue. At the moment Anet is forcing me to pay extra 10% GST, however, the Australian government has delayed the legislation until 1st July 2018. It means that Anet is breaking current Australian legislation which is prohibiting them from charging GST for any purchase less than $1000.00.

Posted by: Zushada.6108

Zushada.6108

I am not Australian, but I am Canadian and when I did the exchange rate on 79.99 USD to CDN, it was 100.56 CAD as of today… and that’s not including taxes.

Yes, I get it, I play in a US hosted game so prices are going to be in the home currency; however, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that the store list prices in our native currency so we are aware before hitting continue. So, I do have to support the OP that the pricing disadvantages folk who live outside the USA.

Posted by: Calador.2804

Calador.2804

you sound too angry to be Australian! i call shenanigans!

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

My understanding from
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-imported-services-and-digital-products/
is that Anet is doing the right thing.

The $1k gst limit on goods is a separate issue.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lol tax is irrelevant. Anet can price it however they want. It can cost $100 in aus for the same pack that cost $30 in the US. Or it can cost $10. They set the price per region. Simple as that.

chemie banger.9624

Lol tax is irrelevant. Anet can price it however they want. It can cost $100 in aus for the same pack that cost $30 in the US. Or it can cost $10. They set the price per region. Simple as that.

No you misunderstood.
They can set whatever price. Sure.
It’s the tax fee ontop of the price the OP was concerned about.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

No you misunderstood.
They can set whatever price. Sure.
It’s the tax fee ontop of the price the OP was concerned about.

But thats the point. Is it tax or is it just higher price?

Same thing in EU. You could argue that the extra cost in euro is “tax” added on a $30 price… or you could argue that €30 =$30 so thats why Anet decided to price it at €30 because of course it is.

Posted by: Prime Shock.9386

Prime Shock.9386

I may be misunderstanding Australia’s tax laws but i was certain that the advertised cost of anything sold in Australia had to include tax.

Posted by: Brahnan.1026

Brahnan.1026

Taxes are good, if anything they should be higher. They pay for our healthcare, roads and many things we take for granted.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

I’m sure Anet is merely complying with tax laws since they can’t sell to those markets otherwise.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I was shocked that we were being taxed here. It increases the cost of the expansion by10 and 15 dollars after tax and currency conversion respectively.

You expect ANet to lower the price for Australians so that they pay the same? They’d have to increase the base price for everyone and pay DigitalRiver extra to figure out how to collect & pay those taxes, so that the price was identical (save for currency conversion, which is its own headache).

In the US, tax is charged differently based on location. Some states tax sales of digital items; some don’t. I will probably pay more than some of my friends because of that.

That’s just a fact of living in countries that charge taxes: we have to pay them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Actually, it is Anet issue. At the moment Anet is forcing me to pay extra 10% GST, however, the Australian government has delayed the legislation until 1st July 2018. It means that Anet is breaking current Australian legislation which is prohibiting them from charging GST for any purchase less than $1000.00.

Incorrect, for all digital goods that started July 2017, it is for Imported and tangible goods that it has been postponed till July 2018. Anet, and even Steam are charging taxes now because the laws says they have to.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

If you think it’s tough paying in Australian dollars, try paying in New Zealand dollars. I bought the Ultimate Package ($80 US), which in NZD, converts to $107.73 ($7 more than if I lived in Australia). The conversion rates are annoying.

It’s just the price I have to pay for living in a different country. I’m used to it. It’s like all the gemstore purchases I make at $100 USD each – it means I have to pay an extra $34.66 everytime.

I’m used to paying more. It’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Killer Muppett.5490

Killer Muppett.5490

Looking into this, there appears to be two completely separate taxes.

The first is the ‘Netflix tax’ , which came into effect from the 1 July 2017. This applies to any ‘imported services and digital products’.

The totally separate tax, ‘Online Goods’ tax, is due to come into effect next year on 1 July 2018. This tax will apply to imported (physical) goods less than $1000. Over $1000 is already meant to have GST tax paid.

So, GW2 is a digital product, falls under the ‘Netflix tax’ , and we’re meant to be paying tax for this now, as of the start of last month.

The other separate wrinkle, is that for Australian consumers, the displayed/advertised price has to include tax. Anet should be advertising the game for sale for the final price, not the one before tax. Anet shouldn’t be springing this price change on us Aussies in the checkout process.

chemie banger.9624

Looking into this, there appears to be two completely separate taxes.

The first is the ‘Netflix tax’ , which came into effect from the 1 July 2017. This applies to any ‘imported services and digital products’.

The totally separate tax, ‘Online Goods’ tax, is due to come into effect next year on 1 July 2018. This tax will apply to imported (physical) goods less than $1000. Over $1000 is already meant to have GST tax paid.

So, GW2 is a digital product, falls under the ‘Netflix tax’ , and we’re meant to be paying tax for this now, as of the start of last month.

The other separate wrinkle, is that for Australian consumers, the displayed/advertised price has to include tax. Anet should be advertising the game for sale for the final price, not the one before tax. Anet shouldn’t be springing this price change on us Aussies in the checkout process.

Yep the final price should be the one advertised.

Also yes the netflix tax is covered by
Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2016 Measures No. 1) Act 2016
Schedule 1—Tax integrity: extending GST to digital products and other services imported by consumers

where as the $1k gst is covered by
Treasury Laws Amendment (GST Low Value Goods) Act 2017

It’s not really a GW2 issue just an Australian one.
Sorry for the rest of youz.