GW2,a family man's MMO!

GW2,a family man's MMO!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: david.3514

david.3514

As the years have passed and I slowly gained more responsiblities, my gaming time was cut significantly. Gone are the days of long raids, street fighter tourneys and COD all nighters. I enjoy having the feeling of accomplishment and usually a lot of time has to be put in to gaming to get satisfaction.
I thought I would not feel this ever again, but then GW2 came in to my life.

It doesn’t matter if I play 30 minutes or 2 hours I always end my sessions with a sense of accomplishment. Although I would love to spend hours in pvp and wvwvw, the dynamic events, crafting etc. have allowed me to enjoy gaming while taking care of my responsibilities at home (my two kids are like charrs ANIMALS!), work and college.

Thanks Anet!

Mazeton
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

I feel you. I work and I’m a law student, and for the first time in a very long time, I feel like if I can’t get on for a while because of other commitments, I won’t fall way behind everyone else. Sure, they will accumulate some new stuff/gold and they’ll get better at actually playing/building themselves, but I won’t be nearly as disadvantaged as if I needed to take a two-week break from, say, Perfect World or World of Warcraft.

TL;DR: I concur.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

Yup. I even log on daily to get the extra karma from my daily, because I know I’ll get progress towards my legendary if I ever go for it just by playing for a few minutes.

And it’s easy to run a tutorial service at the same time while I finish off my daily in queensdale.

Even a few minutes gets you somewhere.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Romeo.4378

Romeo.4378

I get this man. I recently got married and have taken on her two kids, I work too.

I feel it’s important for a man to have his priorities straight and you definitely fall into that category, as, I hope, do I.

Whilst I can’t say I agree with every decision Anet has made since launch, I want them to know I do appreciate the game they have created, for it is exactly the kind of game I am able to play at this stage in my life.

Take it easy, guys.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Yeap. This is why I play GW2 and will do so for the foreseeable future. That and i run this game at 40 FPS and have no business doing so with my 6 year old computer (although I did upgrade the video card..) They did a great job with engine optimization and casual access. Complaints, aside, this part of the game is top-notch.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

Agreed.

GW2 is the only mmo, that when I put down to get on with other worldly things, has left me with the warm, and cuddly feeling of accomplishment.
Other mmo’s that I have played in the past, usually left me frustrated and angry.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Great! Enjoy it while you can.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

sorry to burst your bubble but…. wouldn’t you guys get left behind in fractals? :O

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: circusfreak.2403

circusfreak.2403

For me personally…I dont even plan on doing that, at least not anytime soon.

Do not be fooled by what we percieve. Where there is perception there is deception.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

sorry to burst your bubble but…. wouldn’t you guys get left behind in fractals? :O

I hate to say it but fractals isn’t the only thing they are going to focus on for gear. By the time they roll out obtaining the ascended gear into other areas like karma venders, rare world drops, crafting, existing dungeons, etc, we will be there too :-)

This game is perfect for those that don’t have the time to play games all day. I have 2 kids, I know how that goes. 2 hours in a night if your lucky but man is it a good 2 hours :P

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

As the years have passed and I slowly gained more responsiblities, my gaming time was cut significantly. Gone are the days of long raids, street fighter tourneys and COD all nighters. I enjoy having the feeling of accomplishment and usually a lot of time has to be put in to gaming to get satisfaction.

It doesn’t matter if I play 30 minutes or 2 hours I always end my sessions with a sense of accomplishment. Although I would love to spend hours in pvp and wvwvw, the dynamic events, crafting etc. have allowed me to enjoy gaming while taking care of my responsibilities at home (my two kids are like charrs ANIMALS!), work and college.

Thanks Anet!

A man dying of thirst in a desert, will drink his own urine, from a snakeskin pouch… he made from a snake he killed and ate… and if he’s thirsty enough he’ll be thankful. he’ll also kill his own camel and then disembowell and sleep in it…

see bear grylls

I find it great that you enjoy the game, but it’s far from the game it could be

You are missing the point from the OP. For those posting in agreement. The game is exactly what it needs to be for them. Kind of a “be grateful for what you have” mentallity. Personally I am onboard as well. Perfect for getting an hour or so in before my family wakes up to start the day.

The game can be exactly what people want it to be if they accept it for what it is, that doesn’t equate to “the game is what it could be” and in no way infers it lives up to it’s potential.

there’s already a lot of “drop in and just play” mechanics as is, hopefully later on there even will just be a level UP to meet teammates average levels system implemented so that you won’t even have to sweat levels too much anymore or something along those lines.

As I said, I applaud their faith in the game, I’m happy that it meets their requirements but that’s not to say we should ignore it’s faults. I could make a few bad taste jokes to further help mostly analogies, but I think I’ve said what needs to be said, positivity is great, but a drop in the ocean of issues for GW2.

Irony…. xD

GW2,a family man's MMO!

circusfreak.2403

Thanks Anet!

A man dying of thirst in a desert, will drink his own urine, from a snakeskin pouch… he made from a snake he killed and ate… and if he’s thirsty enough he’ll be thankful. he’ll also kill his own camel and then disembowell and sleep in it…

see bear grylls

You are missing the point from the OP. For those posting in agreement. The game is exactly what it needs to be for them. Kind of a “be grateful for what you have” mentallity. Personally I am onboard as well. Perfect for getting an hour or so in before my family wakes up to start the day.

The game can be exactly what people want it to be if they accept it for what it is, that doesn’t equate to “the game is what it could be” and in no way infers it lives up to it’s potential.

there’s already a lot of “drop in and just play” mechanics as is, hopefully later on there even will just be a level UP to meet teammates average levels system implemented so that you won’t even have to sweat levels too much anymore or something along those lines.

As I said, I applaud their faith in the game, I’m happy that it meets their requirements but that’s not to say we should ignore it’s faults. I could make a few bad taste jokes to further help mostly analogies, but I think I’ve said what needs to be said, positivity is great, but a drop in the ocean of issues for GW2.

Ya I didnt post that as an attack. So thank you for keeping it positive. I understand your point. I personally feel the game is still very much in the infant stage. Ive played alot of MMOs from launch and I have learned to be patient (with some maybe too patient..Im looking at you SWG). Based on what the community has been saying I feel the next several months will be a good barometer for how well ANET is tracking and will respond to what the community feels is needed (major run-on sentence). So ya it has alot of room for growth/improvement but currently it is good for those of us with limited time to play.

Do not be fooled by what we percieve. Where there is perception there is deception.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: sinisterpink.7912

sinisterpink.7912

Yes, yes, and yes – totally agree. The game design is very slick in creating several viable, low commitment modes of play for ppl who cant play hours upon hours on end.

I’m having a blast just making alts and leveling through the gorgeous content, and when I’m in the mood the drop-in casual PVP via wvw and spvp is very accessible. <3 Anet, thank you

Quest for 100 level 80 characters: 25% Completed…

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Thanks Anet!

see bear grylls

Ya I didnt post that as an attack. So thank you for keeping it positive. I understand your point. I personally feel the game is still very much in the infant stage. Ive played alot of MMOs from launch and I have learned to be patient (with some maybe too patient..Im looking at you SWG). Based on what the community has been saying I feel the next several months will be a good barometer for how well ANET is tracking and will respond to what the community feels is needed (major run-on sentence). So ya it has alot of room for growth/improvement but currently it is good for those of us with limited time to play.

Never assumed you did, just felt clarification would help.

Far too often the forums take simple “cautious optimism” for an all out lack of faith in the game, more often than not the very core directions the developers WANT to take the game in become unobtainable because they’re at odds with how the publishers feel they should due to profitability. I love that players love this game so much, I just wish it didn’t at some times feel like blind love and loyalty.
Heck maybe we’re so desensitized to negativity on the forums that any semblance of positivity feels artificial or like some sort of viral marketing lol.

Irony…. xD

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

I agree with the whole 1-80 experience

sadly, the ascended gear changed everything
even for the hardcores, it’s still considered quite difficult to get

(edited by VeralFixen.3142)

GW2,a family man's MMO!

circusfreak.2403

“Heck maybe we’re so desensitized to negativity on the forums that any semblance of positivity feels artificial or like some sort of viral marketing lol.”

You hit that on the head…I am at the point where I would rather put in the disclaimer of no intent to insult then deal with all the flamers.

And I never really played GW1 so Im not necessarily in the blind love for a franchise I really enjoyed. I am more of the MMO nomad looking for anything near the experiences I had playing EQ back in 2000-2006. WoW, and this is just my opinion, took the genre down that marketing for the masses, cooperate profitability over challenging, immersive enjoyable GAME route. Been a drifter ever since.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

Well it has certainly regained my faith in mmo’s. It goes to show that they can be fully enjoyable, rewarding, entertaining, engrossing and free of monthly subscription.

I don’t think that I will have to think twice when it comes to buying any future expansions for GW2. I will even go against my usual stance on the matter, and buy a few gems from them. The game is both worth my time, and my money.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

sadly, the ascended gear changed everything
even for the hardcores, it’s still considered quite difficult to get

+1, after ascended I have not desire to play this game anymore. I check back with little hope they’ll reverse it. Only instance in which I’d stay. This is no longer a family mans game.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

No single game will EVER fulfill the needs of every gamer. At some point, all of us need to accept some responsibility for making our own fun or finding another venue that suits our style of game play better.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Sorinell.2967

Sorinell.2967

Finally!!!!! they made a mmo for the person who can’t spend hours at the pc, I may jump on for a 2 hours late at night on the weekends or get 20 minutes during the week when family time is in full swing . Also the ascended gear is not even a thought in my mind I could not give two Sh#ts about that gear. I must say though the WvW is what I usually do now that im geared up and lvl 80 I dont run dungeons.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Left behind who? GW2 isn’t a competition.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Ryanodo.4170

Ryanodo.4170

I felt this way at first. But the thing is, in the end the game is still a rush to 80 for most players, and now shaping up to be a tiered gear grind. So us more casual, not quite 80 folks will be left behind (this happens in all games, but my server at least feels like a ghost town, which seems to happen faster and faster, each MMO generation.). In honesty, this is pretty much the same old new MMO model of the last few years. Part problem in game design, part problem in player base. I do think there is fun to be had in spvp, WvW, etc. But to level I feel I’m just grinding out the same old hearts/similarly structured Dynamic Events over and over. I’ve gone back to single player games for that quick fix personally, other than here or there doing a little spvp, or wvw. I like the quick fix sort of thing of gw2, but it also takes away from any lasting community vibe, which is kind of the point of an MMO hehe.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

I play the same way as the OP, and I am glad Arenanet took this approach.

Oddly enough, i have been playing MMOs this way dating back to ’94 with with Neverwinter Nights, played the exact same way in Ultima Online and then Dark Age of Camelot. I never once felt behind the curve in any of those games.

I find it amusing how folks say MMOs are not for casuals, and we should be playing single player games. I’ve been playing MMOs casually longer than most probably have a been playing games altogether.

I’ve always thought if you’re a “hardcore” gamer, MMos are probably not for you, there isn’t enough content to keep you entertained, unless maybe the game is older. Though a focus on PvP would help, if thats your thing.

/shrug

(edited by tic.7425)

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: olishious.1562

olishious.1562

who cares

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

And map completion which is well beyond a single 80. For many of us that will be enough. Where some have over 1000 hours already, there are many who are magnitudes under that, in a sane reasonable realm. There is a lot of game here for the 2 hour a day (or less) warrior, that life beyond 80 or map completion doesn’t even matter at this point. So if WvWvW becomes that unbalanced with haves and have not’s, well I guess the haves can have it.

(edited by Horrorscope.7632)

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

It is wonderful that it doesn’t matter much if we play 4h/ week or 40h / week.
As Dinny also said, we can be gone from the game for 2 weeks and then just play and still not fall behind.

I love the feeling when I don’t “have to” farm x dungeons / week for example. You can call it addiction if you want but that’s what it takes to be competitive in most mmorpgs. Here we can just play when we want, how much we want and still be on the top.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Thanks Anet!

[Edit]

You can get that “fix” by playing tic, tac, toe with yourself and changing up x and 0 in center space it would be about as creative.

[Edited by CC: Quote removed]

(edited by Moderator)

GW2,a family man's MMO!

david.3514

It is wonderful that it doesn’t matter much if we play 4h/ week or 40h / week.
As Dinny also said, we can be gone from the game for 2 weeks and then just play and still not fall behind.

I love the feeling when I don’t “have to” farm x dungeons / week for example. You can call it addiction if you want but that’s what it takes to be competitive in most mmorpgs. Here we can just play when we want, how much we want and still be on the top.

I dont’t know about be gone two weeks (I would go crazy), but I understand the feeling of being gone and then falling behind. My peeps were gone for about 6 months and during this time I jumped into SWTOR and it was awesome ehilw they were gone, but when they came bac I went about 3 weeks w/o logging in and I fell behind and lost interest.

Thanks for everyone’s participation in this threakitteneps its goins!

Mazeton
Os Guild

GW2,a family man's MMO!

david.3514

Thanks Anet!

[Edit]

You can get that “fix” by playing tic, tac, toe with yourself and changing up x and 0 in center space it would be about as creative.

[Edited by CC: Quote removed]

That’s not nice. Lets stay on topic please. all discussion are welcom both in agreement and disagreement, but lets keep the attack nonexistent. We only have till 12/21/2012 to keep it civil :p

Mazeton
Os Guild

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Thanks, OP. I agree with you.

And, honestly, it’s not just about people who are busy with a lot of different responsibilities. A video game that pushes you to play every free moment is just plain unhealthy for body, mind, and spirit.

As much as the “hardcore” set like to equate MMORPGs with elite sports, in the end it’s an entertainment, and I’m glad that in GW2 we have one that can be treated like it, instead of like a second job.

GW2,a family man's MMO!

david.3514

No single game will EVER fulfill the needs of every gamer. At some point, all of us need to accept some responsibility for making our own fun or finding another venue that suits our style of game play better.

That is 100% true. I’m a journalist/public affairs specialist by trade and in my younger years I used to write game reviews for my free local paper and no matter if the game was a 3/10 or 10/10 there was always the “it could have been better if” in my mind. When I was doing this gig I did also enjoy some crappy games mechanics, features and gamplay. Its all about perspective.

IGaming is like enjoying your favorite sport be it baseball, football, hockey etc. the all could be better, but they really haven’t changed in forever. It’s the individuals want, need or will to find ways to continue to like and enjoy their favorite product.

FYI, I don’t practice good grammar when I’m posting on nonwork related forums. I think about grammar enuff at work.

Mazeton
Os Guild

GW2,a family man's MMO!

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

I agree with all the OP said and add to it. The mechanics of this game are perfect for children. There are no boring walks to quest hubs, no saying did you talk to so and so. Instead it is just walking around and exploring places. It is a much more natural way for children to do things.

I am far away from home for work, but I got to play GW2 with my 8 year old son. My 5 and 3 year old sons were standing over his shoulder and I could hear them telling him what to do. My 3 year old kept telling us to go in the water. Then for some reason he kept telling my 8 year old that he was going to die. Later before I logged off we had a lot of fun playing with emotes. They all (especially the 3 year old) thought the human dance was very funny.

Thanks Anet.

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast