GW2 an E-Sport? Yay or Nay?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Funnily enough WoW’s Arenas deemed an utter failure in placing itself as an Esport had 2-3 times the amount of views GW2 got for their Pro Leagues.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

If they would create a separate “division” of GW2 to be the esport, I think that would be fine. Call it “Competitive GW2” or something, and balance it completely separately from the MMO. And put all PVP there, too, while they’re at it.

PVP changes should never affect PVE or WvW play (and vice-versa).

(edited by Supernaut.2684)

Posted by: gclhoutx.7234

gclhoutx.7234

The only thing I can really say is if they really wanted to make GW2 more into an E-Sport. Their gonna have to do some serious re-arranging related to people using gear. Don’t get me wrong, considering I’ve never actually done any of the sPvP or PvP pertaining to GW2. Only thing I’ve actually done has entered WvW several times.

Just based on that area alone they need to make sure everyone has some type of standard gear for any type of competition and class…err Profession. Meaning if say Joe comes in and has all Ascended gear on and say Bob comes in and has maybe one Ascended piece and the rest exotic or even lower. Then Bob would have a dis-advantage then Joe.

Granted if someone isn’t level 80 yet and enters WvW their stats get scaled but their still wearing very low gear. Compared to someone else that has probably been playing the game longer and is all decked out in BIS gear for their class or Profession.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/12/03/2016-the-year-of-esports-extended-discussion

Just felt this was very much on topic, talking about Esports in 2016, who is doing what and how Esports scenes are made.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

The only thing I can really say is if they really wanted to make GW2 more into an E-Sport. Their gonna have to do some serious re-arranging related to people using gear. Don’t get me wrong, considering I’ve never actually done any of the sPvP or PvP pertaining to GW2. Only thing I’ve actually done has entered WvW several times.

Just based on that area alone they need to make sure everyone has some type of standard gear for any type of competition and class…err Profession. Meaning if say Joe comes in and has all Ascended gear on and say Bob comes in and has maybe one Ascended piece and the rest exotic or even lower. Then Bob would have a dis-advantage then Joe.

Granted if someone isn’t level 80 yet and enters WvW their stats get scaled but their still wearing very low gear. Compared to someone else that has probably been playing the game longer and is all decked out in BIS gear for their class or Profession.

They do in the form of amulets don’t they? That said, it still isn’t ideal or good for being an esport.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

As an Australian the concept is literally a pipedream for anyone who plays from here. 200-300 latency is around 1/4 second delay.

With a quarter second lag when I dodge I get hit after I begin dodging most of the time. The dodge animation is what, 3/4 second? That means if I don’t react within the first 1/2 second I will get hit. If I dodge 1/4 second before the attack hits, I will get hit.

In other MMOs this doesn’t play such a large part because active mitigation isn’t such a cornerstone of those gams. But in GW2, dodge, block, evades are everything.

So I am disqualified from competetive play by lag. Why even market your game to my country Anet? If this is such a PvP focused game now and we have such a collossal basically disqualifying disadvantage, then it seems pointless and greedy.

(edited by Esquilax.3491)

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

I’m not the least bit interested in watching or participating.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Nay.

Maybe it attracts new players, but on the other end players are leaving. Better find out what changes are needed to keep the old playerbase happy and active. That will attract new players too (by hearing how good the game is). But I have the feeling that someone high above is not happy with the results and fast action is needed. Not good…

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Yay…?

It certainly has a lot of potential, but the game needs more PvP balancing before esports can ever be popular.

It is still worth the effort and GW2 is brave for trying to be the first mmorpg esport. How cool does that sound?!

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Yay…?

It certainly has a lot of potential, but the game needs more PvP balancing before esports can ever be popular.

It is still worth the effort and GW2 is brave for trying to be the first mmorpg esport. How cool does that sound?!

Too bad that GW2 isn’t the first mmog e-sport. Blizzard with WoW was there before (and maybe another before them?)

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

Maybe if they didn’t reject actively avoid all the things that made the original Guild Wars work (does someone in charge at ArenaNet hate GW? or have some sort of complex against it??) it would be a realistic goal. As it stands, they are going to destroy PvE and WvW in their tunnel-visioned quest to be an eSport.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Nay.

Reason: Too much MMORPG elements. It’s too bogged down by flashy mechanics that make up this genre.
I play PvP a lot and I can’t even force myself to watch the Esport streams – I feel bad I can’t but I just can’t help but zone out.
However! There are times a moba vid is on my FB stream; no idea what game they are but they’re always captivating. They are simple, clear, precise. Not MMORPG material.

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

It will fail.

Why?

NCSoft doesn’t have the competence, passion, nor loyalty to its product enough to do this. If the people supposed to be competing don’t quit from boredom NCsoft will quit on them as it flip-flops for profits to focus on another quick-fail MMO.
We’re basically the pillar game that feeds money to their quick-fail game development. When/if they kill Guild Wars 2 NCsoft will be down the creek without a paddle.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Colin said that the marketing team said that the esport thing brings in new players and that it is pretty successful at doing that. If that is true I have nothing against it, more players is good.

Agree!

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Nay in it’s current state.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

No. Please stop flushing good development time down this toilet. Especially if this is going to be the result.

Its not working, and just looking in the PVP forum this week and stream viewership recently will show you that its not going to work. They should be focused on providing more diversity in build options, more content for PvE/WVW/sPVP, and Balancing Classes.

Players make games e-sports. E-sports aren’t created by developers, they’re created by players. Up the game quality and let it happen on its own if its going to happen. At this point, does A-net think its current playerbase is going to be referring their friends to join? If the answer you get from the community is NO, you’re never going to have an E-sport irrelevant of the effort you put into it. If the PVP forum is raging about PVP staleness/leagues/balance, you’re not going to have an E-sport!

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Players make games e-sports. E-sports aren’t created by developers, they’re created by players. Up the game quality and let it happen on its own if its going to happen.

This isn’t entirely true but this supposedly esport game had 5k viewers.
Its just no hope in its current state to be true esport it need 50 million views
I don’t watch esport i prefer to play video games myself.
Also that click here to watch esport stuff is anoying
they could have 1 popup when you login.
The screen cluttering is affecting everyone.
I mean what is next a big coca cola add on the middle of screen?
Enough of this crap remove ALL of it !

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

Yay, no skin off my nose let those who want it have it. I’ll never so much as click a link for it but some players enjoy it no reason they shouldn’t have the option to play their way.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Yay, no skin off my nose let those who want it have it. I’ll never so much as click a link for it but some players enjoy it no reason they shouldn’t have the option to play their way.

So you think its ok to spend 200.000$ on a handful of players
Instead of using it to develop something 99% of the rest of game want like dungeons ?

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

I say nay, they should have not even bothered. While they say it was something the Marketing team came up with, I feel that money could have gone to oh I dunno.

Hire more modelers to model armor that drops in HoT
Hire more coders to balance the classes
Hire more people to focus on fixing WvW

I dunno it just gives me a bitter taste in my mouth.

I agree with this. I don’t mind the E-sports thing happening, I’m just fed up with a lot of things that aren’t getting attended to. The class balance has made progress but it’s still out of whack, bugs are still everywhere in collections, HoT, and classes, WvW is a hot mess because nobody seems to be on top of things there, ANet threw away dungeons instead of actually TRYING to fix them, and seemingly half the new stuff we’re getting is behind the Black Lion Market and its barely been a month since the expansion. And to top it off, a bunch of (Elementalist discriminatory) visual nerfs have happened seemingly because of the leagues.

I’m frustrated. People are frustrated. The devs are too quiet, especially in the areas people want some answers.

(edited by GoZero.9708)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Aka nay.

They talked about making it e-sport worthy for a long time, at least 2 years prior to release from my memory (that would be 5 years ago now). The combat and character system in GW2 are both kitten poor at a fundamental design level and can’t be fixed. I put that dream behind me mere hours after release. It won’t and can’t happen due to the way the game is designed.

That’s not to say the game isn’t fun, but it doesn’t have any of the things that an esport needs.
1. It’s not balanced, and until the separate PVE and PVP, never will be.
2. There’s very little variety. Classes are way too similar, skills are too similar, pvp maps are too similar.
3. There almost no PVP counterplay. Everything is in position and timing your dodges; nothing else has any real impact on a fight. The fact is that any single skill, keypress or action is pretty inconsequential and can be undone by your oponent in just a couple seconds. GW2 PVP is a matter of attrition, of generally having hopefully better action timing and position then the other guy most of the time, until he runs out of cooldowns. That’s not entertaining to watch in a sports sense.
4. And the most important is: It’s impossible to watch. Literally. You can’t see what’s happening, the screen is filled is spells and effects and whirlydoos and bepops. Heck, it’s impossible to PLAY sometimes, the graphics are so over the top that you can’t tell what you’re doing while you’re doing it. Forget about trying to read your enemies tells and respond to their actions when their character model is literally invisible behind 4 walls of various particle effect, 2 clones and/or pets, multiple weapon trails, and 6 simultaneous condition and/or boon animations – although that’s an important issue. Imagine trying to spectate that. Hahahahahahahahaha.

tl:dr Ha.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Instead of using it to develop something 99% of the rest of game want like dungeons ?

A good chunk of that was likely covered by the partner companies.

Granted, it wasn’t all of it as Nvidia would be fools to spend a huge amount sponsoring an event that is catered to people who already use their products, but it was probably a fair amount none the less.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

A good chunk of that was likely covered by the partner companies.

Granted, it wasn’t all of it as Nvidia would be fools to spend a huge amount sponsoring an event that is catered to people who already use their products, but it was probably a fair amount none the less.

Most people don’t understand how tournament sponsorship works. Anet might be putting forth some of the funds but the vast majority are coming from partners (Alienware,Nvidia, Kongzhong, ESL, Intel etc….)

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Nay.

Honestly I don’t like the team size. It boils down to too many 1v1s and I find those fiercely boring.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I never watch Esports streams so not really into it. The leaderboard thing seems like a step in the right direction though. Not in an Esports way but in a gimme rewards way. Now if they’d just separate solo and team queue…

I get bored playing too many games back to back though and find WvW more lasting fun.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.