GW2 development horse power, aka budget

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Ok first, the probabiity i get a aclarative answer for this is really low, but still:

After almost 2 years of this game, the content that was realized and its replayability havent been enough for the time spending hardcore community, as such theres 2 question that arise:

First: Is gw2 also targeting hardcore spending time players as such, and not only casual players?
If the answer is no, then stop here, if not, since the content release power isnt enough i have a question:

Second: Are you devolping something with the repleyability power of about 10 times what you are releasing now for every realease shedule or the budget for developing is that limited?

If not, since your goals are also in the hardcore audience, are you planning to change your bussisness models (adding expansions), search for founds, or make the development budget bigger?.

Because in fact the season 2 is much better quality, but your overall quantity of content isnt enough for such a audience, specially because the lack has been for near 2 years.

Thank you, and sorry for the straight forward questions and commentaries.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t believe there was a lack of content at release. It seemed like a pretty big world to me. Over 1500 Dynamic Events, World Bosses, Dungeons, PvP, WvW, etc. So, two years of a lack of content seems a tad exaggerated.

I understand some people would like what they feel would be more challenging content, or content with what they would deem more replayability. The things I would like are probably not what most would enjoy. Lol.

I doubt you will get a definitive answer from any of the Devs, but good luck! =)

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Most of that is from the beggingin i mean after.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I don’t believe there was a lack of content at release. It seemed like a pretty big world to me. Over 1500 Dynamic Events, World Bosses, Dungeons, PvP, WvW, etc. So, two years of a lack of content seems a tad exaggerated.

I understand some people would like what they feel would be more challenging content, or content with what they would deem more replayability. The things I would like are probably not what most would enjoy. Lol.

I doubt you will get a definitive answer from any of the Devs, but good luck! =)

the content created before release, was created before release, so it wouldnt really fit into the, what have they done with 2 years of development time.

Also note the structure of development was fundamentally different before release, it is entirely possible that their old development power was much greater than it is right now.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Ok first, the probabiity i get a aclarative answer for this is really low, but still:

After almost 2 years of this game, the content that was realized and its replayability havent been enough for the time spending hardcore community, as such theres 2 question that arise:

First: Is gw2 also targeting hardcore spending time players as such, and not only casual players?
If the answer is no, then stop here, if not, since the content release power isnt enough i have a question:

Second: Are you devolping something with the repleyability power of about 10 times what you are releasing now for every realease shedule or the budget for developing is that limited?

If not, since your goals are also in the hardcore audience, are you planning to change your bussisness models (adding expansions), search for founds, or make the development budget bigger?.

Because in fact the season 2 is much better quality, but your overall quantity of content isnt enough for such a audience, specially because the lack has been for near 2 years.

Thank you, and sorry for the straight forward questions and commentaries.

the function of power is not a direct result of money, like any machine, how much power you get out of it has a lot to do with how effecient your machine is. It is possible that money is not the main problem, but the design of their systems.

That said, it is also possible the problem is money

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

PvE/Gemstore/sPvP is like an 1140hp Koenigsegg while WvW is like a rusted old Volvo 240. Does that answer your question?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

but your overall quantity of content isnt enough for such a audience

For the audience you’re describing, there’s no such thing as “enough” content/replayability.

Even if they did release 10 times as much content, there’s still a portion of that group that’ll finish it in 2-3 days and then complain about having nothing to do.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Guild Wars 2 has not been designed for the “hardcore” audience, nor do I think it particularly was at any point.

The people who play 5+ hours a day were never their target, and I don’t think that is going to change. I think you and other “hardcore” players are going to have to accept this game is not for you, and move on.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

First off, I think you are one of many players looking for some sense of direction regarding the game and path forward so I can relate to the question. That being said I have very little faith it will be answered, we haven’t even seen a blog laying out 2014 in detail and we are going into August so I would not hold my breath.

As for the development and the content level, this has me curious as well and I want to start off by saying this isn’t a knock on the developers or what they’re doing but I have to say that we surely cannot be seeing the bulk of the developed content. I mean every time I see a community manager post that the developers don’t have time to come here and answer a question because their work load is so heavy I have to scratch my head and wonder, what is it they are so busy doing because to me that statement and what we are seeing for new content just doesn’t add up.
Like I said, this isn’t a knock on the developers because in all likelihood and from everything I’ve read on the “glass door”, they are busting their humps so it has to be a matter of upper management holding back, and that must be very frustrating to the development teams. I understand the whole “don’t over promise or release info before it’s ready” but I think it’s going to backfire badly if the story does come to the rumored break after the next patch and there hasn’t been any communication on what there is coming that we can look forward to.

The Living story is a great filler, but if that’s the extent of new content or the pace to quote Trahearne “This won’t end well”!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

but your overall quantity of content isnt enough for such a audience

For the audience you’re describing, there’s no such thing as “enough” content/replayability.

Even if they did release 10 times as much content, there’s still a portion of that group that’ll finish it in 2-3 days and then complain about having nothing to do.

content that can be finished in 2-3 days by the most hardcore would be like a breath of fresh air to someone who’s been trapped in a coal mine for 10 years. they don’t release anything that can’t be finished in 2 hours by the most casual. would be nice to see something else in game that makes gold that isn’t strictly scripted dungeons, is what is being ribbed at.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I wonder if anyone has gone to any of your places of real employment and asked for a budget spreadsheet? How do you think that would go over?

This place is incredible…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

would be nice to see something else in game that makes gold that isn’t strictly scripted dungeons, is what is being ribbed at.

And that’s another problem with the “hardcore” crowd.

they ask for content, but what they really want is a reward generation tool.

just look at what content is popular and receives a lot of replay: whatever generates the most rewards for the least time/effort, not what’s fun or complex or engaging.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

would be nice to see something else in game that makes gold that isn’t strictly scripted dungeons, is what is being ribbed at.

And that’s another problem with the “hardcore” crowd.

they ask for content, but what they really want is a reward generation tool.

just look at what content is popular and receives a lot of replay: whatever generates the most rewards for the least time/effort, not what’s fun or complex or engaging.

I think this actually speaks to a much deeper issue in the game. Ideally I’d think that the most difficult and complex content would have the greatest reward – that seems to me to be standard in the videogame industry. However, that is not the case in GW2 (from my personal experience). I wonder if perhaps it has something to do with gold being the primary currency and it’s tie to the gemstore. If a character’s ‘look’ is the endgame of GW2 and more armor sets are added to the gemstore than to the game – and if not everyone is willing to pull out their wallet – then it makes sense that many players will go after the most fiscally rewarding content. That way it is less time before they can transfer gold to gems to pick up something they like. On the other hand, they have an easier time competing with people for TP items who flat out buy gems to convert to gold.

I suspect that if a bunch of armor sets, toys, and other goodies required say, a jumping puzzle to get to, it’s likely that we’d see a massive stream of players rushing to that jumping puzzle.

As to OP’s questions, I’ve been wondering the same thing. I think they are good questions to ask. I’d like to know more about the direction this game is going as it helps me make informed decisions about how I invest my time/wallet.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The Curse Of Impermanence

Content is a problem because the “Mandala” model for Living World Season One turned out to be a bad idea (who could have ever predicted that?).

Season Two thankfully put a stop to that madness, and that is fantastic news, but it took a long time to dig in, and it will take a long time to dig out.

The silver lining is that, given what little I know about what’s going on at ArenaNet, I strongly suspect what we’re seeing right now is just the tip of a very large iceberg, if you will.

I have learned not to presume too much, but if my suspicions are correct, content is not going to seem like such a problem by this time next year.

Lettuce prey.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Vlad Morbius.1759

[b]Content is a problem because the “Mandala” model for Living World Season One turned out to be a bad idea (who could have ever predicted that?).

Season Two thankfully put a stop to that madness, and that is fantastic news, but it took a long time to dig in, and it will take a long time to dig out.

The silver lining is that, given what little I know about what’s going on at ArenaNet, I strongly suspect what we’re seeing right now is just the tip of a very large iceberg, if you will.

I have learned not to presume too much, but if my suspicions are correct, content is not going to seem like such a problem by this time next year.

Lettuce prey.

The problem is everything is speculation and not everyone will stick around to find out there is an iceberg below the surface. I can think of another time in history when that strategy would have worked wonderfully. (And no I don’t take the sinking of the titanic lightly but the analogy fit).

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

chemiclord.3978

[b]Content is a problem because the “Mandala” model for Living World Season One turned out to be a bad idea (who could have ever predicted that?).

Lettuce prey.

The problem is everything is speculation and not everyone will stick around to find out there is an iceberg below the surface. I can think of another time in history when that strategy would have worked wonderfully. (And no I don’t take the sinking of the titanic lightly but the analogy fit).

Well, here’s the thing.

There is literally nothing keeping you invested in GW2 if you don’t want to be. If the game is honestly boring you, and doesn’t have the content to keep you engaged, then I would recommend you play something else, and if down the road they announce an expansion with tons of content, it’s not like you have to open up the wallet to play again.

This is a game that is (surprisingly) easy to walk away from, and even come back to down the road, and I do believe purposefully so… though the first season of the Living Story sure tried to change that (and failed).

Vlad Morbius.1759

The problem with your train of thought is that it is maintaining the customer base is critical because when they walk away so does their wallet, and the game won’t grow or possibly survive without people spending money to support it. Don’t think that’s how things will shake out just ask Blizzard how much losing 7 million players cost them.

chemiclord.3978

You really shouldn’t be worrying about Arena.net’s end of things. If you aren’t enjoying the experience they are giving you, walk away. If enough people join you, then they will either have to change what they’re doing, or they will wither away.

Just like any other business in the world.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

No. GW2 is essentially a free to play game (requiring a small investment to set up the account, yes, from then on paying real money is completely optional). As such, while players who spend their time and effort on the game have their place, the game is not designed for them. The game is designed for people with money to spend, not necessarily with a lot of time on their hands to play.

The content at release and content added since release supports this.

Stopping here.