GW2 dropped Aug. 28. So...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MainFrame.4803

MainFrame.4803

Why are people complaining SO HARD about things. What game is/was perfect upon launch? None. GW2 is not even a month old yet, so give ANet some time to work on it. I know, I know, you’re gonna hit me with the ol’ 1, 2 about how they should have had it refined before they released it. Again, what MMO, or even game, is COMPLETELY PERFECT upon release? You know the answer.

And one thing that kinda bothers me a bit, but I see the validity in it, is the people complaining about how there is nothing to do once you hit 80 and whatnot. I’ll admit that I have yet to get a character to 80, and there is a solid reason to that. A reason that, I think, can be an answer to the “boredom woes” of the current 80s: multiple story arcs. I’ve started multiple characters to experience the different stories the game provides and they’re all so fun to me that I can’t just focus on one. Granted the grinding to make level for the next plot line wears a little, but once you have a solid system for leveling it isn’t so bad. Point: start a new character and enjoy a new story. Remember that video games have a lot to do with the story behind them.

But most importantly above all, just have fun and stop complaining. Things will get fixed eventually…..or the game will just self-destruct….hoping for the former.

Posted by: Dgenerate.1948

Dgenerate.1948

You dont get it. For most people complaining, it’s the core mechanics/gameplay that is lacking, not some small simple bugs. We are talking about major design flaws, which in it’s current state only a few people actually enjoy for an extended period of time.

Arenanet, I challenge you to impress me.
I say it like it is.

Posted by: Vaske.2817

Vaske.2817

-I agree with you about GW2 being new and indeed none of new mmo were perfect at launch….and by the way you don’t see any other company that fix things as fast as ANet do in here so i myself am completely happy with state of the game and almost every day we get hotfix for some bug and that is really good work. As for people who got bored already? Well tell me in what mmo (new mmo launched) can you rush like mindless noob to get to lvl80 (or any level cap) in like 2 days and then cry about lack of things to do? If you really need to play like that then buy 10 more mmo’s and when you hit lvl80 in GW2 then do the same to all other mmo’s and just wait for new stuff to be released…..but crying how game is boring when you rushed to lvl80 in few days is just stupid imo, i am lvl48 at the moment and i am enjoying the game doing all maps 100% and having fun so good job ANet (sorry for typos i just woke up lol)

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

You dont get it. For most people complaining, it’s the core mechanics/gameplay that is lacking, not some small simple bugs. We are talking about major design flaws, which in it’s current state only a few people actually enjoy for an extended period of time.

Complainers are a minority.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Gambit.7836

Gambit.7836

AND… they’re STILL working on playing internet security police. See today’s post by Mike O’Brien on account security: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/. Almost a full month later, instead of fixing all of the rampant bugs, this is still the focus. What’s up with that?

Posted by: LordShade.8143

LordShade.8143

The game is fine.

People are just nitpicking.

Posted by: Inserach.7906

Inserach.7906

I’m same as you, started 3 characters and enjoying the stories of each of them. I’ve played 155 hours and I’ve only reached 27 as my highest. Also I get 100% completion to an area before I move on to the next. Thanks Arenanet for a great game.

Posted by: LED Head.2439

LED Head.2439

I think that partially an issue here is that Anet may have under estimated how long it would take people to go through the content, I think they may have been expecting people to play slower and take it in more when the reality is that most of the players are going to have traditional mmo mentalities and will rush to get the max level asap and like most mmo’s the content really is not there for end game until some months after initial launch.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

AND… they’re STILL working on playing internet security police. See today’s post by Mike O’Brien on account security: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/. Almost a full month later, instead of fixing all of the rampant bugs, this is still the focus. What’s up with that?

Actually they have been fixing quite a few bugs.
Just look at the Game Status update page, not to mention they don’t list ALL the bugs they do fix… so we only see some of them.

They are doing a good job so far compared to other MMOs at release and a month later.

Account security is a big deal to some, they bought the game and can’t even log on! Thats gotta suck!

MainFrame.4803

Actually, that is a huge issue that I would rather them fix first. Here’s a question for you: would you rather have them fix all the bugs, but unfortunately you account has been hacked and you’re having to wait to play while they investigate the situation or would you rather deal with bugs here and there (which annoy the hell out of me as well but I’ve learned to move on to something else until it’s fixed) without the fear of losing your account?

I’m sure your answer would be to have the bugs fixed and not have to worry about account security, but in this case, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Maybe I’m just an idealistic quack, but I see things from ANet’s point of view. I have a small company and we’re working on our first game and things are difficult. Making a MMO is not as easy as you would think, even for professionals who dedicate their lives to this sort of thing. I’m willing to let them do their thing and give them a few months to get their stuff together, instead of a few short weeks, before I pass judgement on their work and priorities.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

Again, what MMO, or even game, is COMPLETELY PERFECT upon release? You know the answer.

Yes i do. Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

MainFrame.4803

Again, what MMO, or even game, is COMPLETELY PERFECT upon release? You know the answer.

Yes i do. Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

I….you….well….dang….got me on that one…

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

For most people complaining, it’s the core mechanics/gameplay

True so far, until

that is lacking

This is where most players wouldn’t agree with you. This is where you prove that you knew nothing about this game before picking it up, instead opting to assume that it would be exactly like every other MMO before it since WoW.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: SteveK.5827

SteveK.5827

Can not believe that people are at level 80 already …. and so many of them !!
I personally like to try a few different characters and stick with the ones I like.
Today I play my ele , tomorrow I feel like playing my necro.
I too will only move onto the next area when I have done the whole map.
People who bolt to level 80 are not smelling the roses and enjoying the game the way it was designed.
I always played a ranger but this time around I am a bit disappointed with my human ranger but love my Norn Ele and Necro. Deleted the Asara as it was childish … hated it. Char Engineer was OK but only play that one occasionally ( level 10 ).
My Ele and Necro are level 25 and my Ranger 21.
Slow down and enjoy …. talk to some people too !!!

Posted by: Rush.8239

Rush.8239

i stopped reading when you said you are yet to hit 80

hit 80 then come back otherwise you don’t know what your talking about

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Bug and performance complaints will be addressed in time.

Design complaints are only noticed if you complain loudly and often.

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

^ @ Rush

Doesn’t the fun start right from the lvl1?? xD

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

So, I’m not supposed to enjoy the game before 80?

Are you reading what you’re writing?

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

@ Rush… are we not supposed to enjoy the game before 80? Are we supposed to rush and then be stranded like you? You know, some of us are not _______. Have fun up there buddy.

@ Raging Bull … for me it did

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: evilbottom.2186

evilbottom.2186

I still don’t understand the whole ‘nothing to do at 80’. At 80 you can do everything you did from 1 – 79. Just because you aren’t working towards another number, it doesn’t mean the progression suddenly stops or every area in the game stops being there. You have an entire world to explore! I can’t imagine anyone who properly appreciates the world getting bored of adventuring until at least the 500 hour mark. Then you’ve got Dungeons, WvW and sPvP.

People really need to stop grinding to 80 then looking for the game to start. This isn’t WoW.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Why are people complaining SO HARD about things.

Some people go through life looking for what’s “wrong” everywhere they go. Often times when people consider themselves a professional or knowledgeable about a topic, their first reaction is to point out what they consider to be flaws.

Recently I had a concrete patio poured at the back of my house, and everyone was having a great time with a barbecue later, and my brother who has some experience with pouring concrete started talking about the flaws – the angle was too steep, they got some concrete splash on the house, the poured it too close to the tree.

Here were people partying and having a great time on the new patio, and all he could do was criticize what he thought were flaws.

Remind you of anything?

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

Guild Wars 1

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Gw2 is fine. Forums are negative. People complain about their classes.

I laugh at the people complaining about necromancers, for example. I am a killing machine with my necro.

I laugh at the people complaining about the thief. I am a killing machine with my thief.

I laugh at the people that are complaining about the DR change…I like that it works for dungeons, i dislike that it bugged its way into the world. It will be fixed. Relax everyone.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

- Stated as 100% my opinion and personal experience. -

There’s stuff to do at 80. Problem for me, most of it is not the same as the rest of the game. So, while I got my way to 80 I was having a blast, loving every minute. Once I hit 80 I was standing there wondering what happened to the game.
Core issues, gold sinks and rewards that don’t scale, but costs do, hurt the ability to play at 80.

Let me explain best I can, it’s pre-coffee time though, so bear with me.

Pre-level 80 rewards in coin afforded me the ability to join hot linked events. You know the ones; Champion X has spawned and people need help. Way point is linked, people jump to it. Boss dead, rewards would more than pay off the cost of the way point. Drops have always been kitten, so coin and karma were the pay outs. Was fun, and I jumped to most of the events as often as I could. Loved it.

Post level 80, using a single way point IN the same zone costs more than an event pay out. So, throw out the hot linked event joining as doable content. Instead, I am left wandering around looking for “The Zerg” – which is about as exciting as watching paint dry. So many people vs the mobs make it epic easy mode vs all but the biggest of bosses… this actually reminds of The Lemmings… but I wont go there. hehe

Costs are prohibitive at 80 since the “goal” is and usually has always been in GW to get the Prestige armor (at least in PvE). These armor sets are priced so high that saving every copper becomes a must. This means avoiding hot linked events, skipping out on joining friends (way points cost too much, takes too long to run to them and then get back where I need to be for the rewards to pay a reasonable amount) and generally falling in line with The Zerg.
Add to this, Orr is the worst designed area in the game simply because of the Risen and how they were designed. The over speed, annoying design, spacing and over aggro range of the Risen just pull the entire zone into one big “Sigh”.

Put all these things together, toss in the anti-farming code and the “End Game” falls apart.

Lastly, here’s how dramatic the income disparity is at 80. I made more money playing my alt yesterday in lower levels than I did playing my 80 two days in a row. Because of the alt, I was able to afford another “prestige” piece of armor for my 80.

So, unless we play “Market Sim Wars” and not “Guild Wars 2” – at 80, money is very limited and makes fully enjoying the game a chore.

Anet really needs to take a look at scaling the rewards up or severely lowering waypoint costs. Running with a 25% speed boost still means I miss out on most of the events unless I’m in The Zerg.
At 80, the game IS different. It’s designed to be the same, but core mechanics make it work differently.

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

You can’t really say things like that unless you have metrics to back it up. These forums are not an accurate measurement of how the playerbase feels. I come here and nitpick the hell out of things and in general, I still like the game very much.

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

People are at the point that we’re whining that they’re trying to increase account security?

These forums are worse than the SWTOR forums.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

If it’s a core mechanic problem that bothers you and the others, you better start finding yourselves another game, as those aren’t supposed to change. Core mechanics are, you now, core, for a reason.

And good job with the data gathering that backed that comment up about only a few people enjoying the game.

Untouch.2541

Guild Wars 1

Joke post?

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

Consumers have a tendency to complain if they find that their product or service is broken following purchase; they kind-of spent money on it.

Untouch.2541

I see people complaining about lack of gear treadmill, despite the game being advertised to not have it.

Do people order fries and complain when they aren’t burgers?

Posted by: MrThebigcheese.2014

MrThebigcheese.2014

I see people complaining about lack of gear treadmill, despite the game being advertised to not have it.

The game does have a gear grind. A lot of complainers were GW1 fans.

Try to keep up.

Untouch.2541

The game does have a gear grind. A lot of complainers were GW1 fans.

Try to keep up.

I thought you blocked me.
I said gear treadmill.

GW1 had gear grind too, ever get obsidian?

Posted by: Renome.2736

Renome.2736

Consumers have a tendency to complain if they find that their product or service is broken following purchase; they kind-of spent money on it.

Well, GW2 does give you everything they were promising, right?
And it’s you problem that you bought this kind of a game and not the game you want.
It sounds like a person that bought a crossover whines about it not being as powerfull/fast/sharplooking as aston martin.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Guild Wars 1

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_updates

Posted by: Duveth.5742

Duveth.5742

the lvl 80 content is just grind for nothing, at least in wow or other mmorpgs u grind for some reward, in gw2 there is nothing to do, just repeat he same things u did while leveling with no reward or progression

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

I LOL’ed.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Forums represent a VERY small minority of any MMO game.

Deal with it basically.

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

Nope.

Posted by: Renome.2736

Renome.2736

Nope.

Well, what didn’t they include? (I see you are pretty constructive.)

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

It doesn’t matter how good the game is or how much bang people get for their buck, people will complain. And the they’ll complain some more. Then they’ll quit and complain. Every game has it’s subset of boisterous detractors. I feel just as comfortable dismissing them now as I did when it happened with GW1, because I have first hand knowledge that their comments have little merit.

Posted by: PixelPredator.6987

PixelPredator.6987

What game is/was perfect upon launch? None.

Again, what MMO, or even game, is COMPLETELY PERFECT upon release? You know the answer

No game can be completely perfect even if it has been released and worked on for centuries. There is always space to improve

Anyway, there’s plenty of games that had been almost (not completely as its impossible) successful upon launch. One game that comes to mind is Skyrim (if you ignore the glitches which allow you to fall through the fall).

Posted by: jovian.2805

jovian.2805

without complaints a game cannot improve.

that being said, some people ARE being unnecessarily rude.

teachers live in schools, garbage men live in garbage, and firemen live in fire.

Posted by: Nemmar.8491

Nemmar.8491

Why are people complaining SO HARD about things. What game is/was perfect upon launch? None. GW2 is not even a month old yet, so give ANet some time to work on it. I know, I know, you’re gonna hit me with the ol’ 1, 2 about how they should have had it refined before they released it. Again, what MMO, or even game, is COMPLETELY PERFECT upon release? You know the answer.

And one thing that kinda bothers me a bit, but I see the validity in it, is the people complaining about how there is nothing to do once you hit 80 and whatnot. I’ll admit that I have yet to get a character to 80, and there is a solid reason to that. A reason that, I think, can be an answer to the “boredom woes” of the current 80s: multiple story arcs. I’ve started multiple characters to experience the different stories the game provides and they’re all so fun to me that I can’t just focus on one. Granted the grinding to make level for the next plot line wears a little, but once you have a solid system for leveling it isn’t so bad. Point: start a new character and enjoy a new story. Remember that video games have a lot to do with the story behind them.

But most importantly above all, just have fun and stop complaining. Things will get fixed eventually…..or the game will just self-destruct….hoping for the former.

I guess you werent there when SWTOR came out. That game has technical issues and end-game was easy. People ran it to the ground despite it beeing a good RPG. Good combat and great storytelling. It still has plenty of subs and is set to make a comeback with F2P.

That game doesnt have its core broken and got ran violently by haters… Unfortunely GW2 has a broken core (the combat, the end game design, the dungeons, the unrewardness, the random loot, etc) so you can expect it will get alot worse.

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

Only a few? Care to site your sources?

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

crewthief.8649

So, I’m not supposed to enjoy the game before 80?

Are you reading what you’re writing?

Hey hush, he’s a ‘hardcore’ gamer…those are the kinds of things ‘hardcore’ gamers are supposed to write. Otherwise, other ‘hardcore’ gamers would come on to this forum, see his ‘un-hardcore’ response, and quickly chatise him in their ‘ultra-hardcore’ circle. In this example, hardcore = no real life outside the game.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

crewthief.8649

I guess you werent there when SWTOR came out. That game has technical issues and end-game was easy. People ran it to the ground despite it beeing a good RPG. Good combat and great storytelling. It still has plenty of subs and is set to make a comeback with F2P.

That game doesnt have its core broken and got ran violently by haters… Unfortunely GW2 has a broken core (the combat, the end game design, the dungeons, the unrewardness, the random loot, etc) so you can expect it will get alot worse.

This is your opinion. I played SWTOR, it is terrible and has a broken core, in my opinion. GW2 is levels of magnitude better than SWTOR.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: Carnege.3589

Carnege.3589

People ran it to the ground despite it beeing a good RPG. Good combat and great storytelling.

Come again?

You see, i could stay here saying why i don’t like SWTOR, and why it’s a WoW in space with voice acting, because it’s my opinion.
Your opinion is that SWTOR is good.

Fair enough. People have different opinions.

I saw how SWTOR was going to be months before the launch, and i didn’t even bother to buy it.
So if you have a problem with the games philosophy but still bought said game, i guess the jokes on you.

Posted by: Zipzo.6753

Zipzo.6753

I’m enjoying GW2 but I will admit that the “Hey no game is perfect at launch, give them time!” song and dance is old.

We really don’t need random forum goer after random forum goer to remind us that fixing things takes time. I’m sure that goes without saying.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Because it’s completely unreasonable that they have different people working on different aspects of the game? Last I checked ArenaNet has 270 employees, what exactly do you think those 270 people are doing?

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

The forums only make up 1% of any actual player base of the game… even if every post said they loved or hated the game, it’s still only 1% of 2 million+ players out there. It really comes down to who is playing the game… not typing about the game. They know who is actually playing and they know who isn’t. So the haters are really just flame baiting the forums, nothing more. They aren’t influencing anyone.