GW2 fastest selling MMO ever (link inside)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/393474

“After triangulating against multiple data sources, it’s clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability”, said analyst David Cole of DFC Intelligence. “This puts Guild Wars 2 in an impressive position when they release in China, where we’ve seen similar franchises really take off”.

Congrats A-net.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

hype sells, content doesn’t. Their marketing division is way better than their developing one.

nexxe.7081

hype sells, content doesn’t. Their marketing division is way better than their developing one.

Servers are still busy with people. That means content does sell, or else they would be merging or closed down.

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

Servers are still busy with people. That means content does sell, or else they would be merging or closed down.

1) Tons of people who helped create those “fast selling” numbers have quit due to the severe disappointment of GW2.

2) I know a good majority of people who are making those “busy servers” busy merely because there is nothing better out and they are waiting for that next game.

Essentially GW2 has not been compelling enough to be a game that will stick and will be forgotten when that next game comes out.

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

1) Tons of people who helped create those “fast selling” numbers have quit due to the severe disappointment of GW2.

2) I know a good majority of people who are making those “busy servers” busy merely because there is nothing better out and they are waiting for that next game.

Essentially GW2 has not been compelling enough to be a game that will stick and will be forgotten when that next game comes out.

3) Tons of people still play, even after almost a year, because the game (despite its shortcomings) is actually pretty good and enjoyable.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I never quite understand comments like these.
Do people really HAVE to keep playing because there is nothing else out there? Isn’t that quite silly?
If I start playing a game and find that I don’t like it, I won’t force myself to play it until the next game comes out, I’ll simply uninstall the game and do something else.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

3) Tons of people still play, even after almost a year, because the game (despite its shortcomings) is actually pretty good and enjoyable.

It is a good and enjoyable game for primarily people who aren’t part of the original GW1 fanbase. (that is a red flag)

Do people really HAVE to keep playing because there is nothing else out there? Isn’t that quite silly?
If I start playing a game and find that I don’t like it, I won’t force myself to play it until the next game comes out, I’ll simply uninstall the game and do something else.

It is silly, but people do it.

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

It’s all about the money.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Viith.2805

Viith.2805

This.

Posted by: Unleashed.6195

Unleashed.6195

It is a good and enjoyable game for primarily people who aren’t part of the original GW1 fanbase. (that is a red flag)

None of us have stats on how many play, don’t play, whether it is growing or shrinking. I’m part of that GW1 fanbase. I’m part of that fanbase that is disappointed that GW2 is less GW2 and more Word of Guild Wars or Guild Wars Online. At the same time, I like GW2 for what it is and believe it will continue to be successful, knowing that they likely wake up each day wanting to make a great game and will strive to do so under whatever philosophy it is that is driving GW2.

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Where are these tons of people? Not in wvw, not in PvP, and all condensed into 2 or 3 maps at a time based on where the best rewards are. Actually even in those areas it’s rare to see people unless you are on one of the “full” servers. That’s just the reality of it.

When SWToR started having trouble, and people were requesting server mergers they had more people playing than I see most of the time. Even then there were posts similar to yours about how the servers were doing great. Eventually Bioware had to admit they had made serious mistakes. If you can’t see the same thing has been happening in GW2 for awhile now then you didn’t play SWToR.

The difference is that it’s easier for GW2 because no one left is expecting that much. It’s also not a sub based game, so people can walk away freely. Honestly I’ve seen more people playing Rift than I do on GW2 in the past few months. There is only one reason a company doesn’t release numbers, and one reason only. If a company is doing good they are happy to release numbers, it shows how good they are doing. If they aren’t..

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

It’s all about the Server. On mine I can’t walk a minute on ANY Map without seeing people running around doing stuff. There are a ton of people on my server and I get in a Overflow everytime in Lions Arch, the Pavillion and any Area where a Meta Event happens when I’m not fast enough.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Nice infographic in the Time article. As for no people playing, I play on one of the very least-populated servers, and we still have overflow during prime time. Not sure where all these ghost-town servers are. I don’t expect this game to die any time soon, as has been predicted for the last 11 months or so, especially since GW2 is expanding into China. More players than the US has population? Goodness!

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Proof? Besides “I know a lot of people..”?

Oh right, you have none.

I played GW1 for the better part of 7 years. I enjoy GW2. Then again I didn’t start playing GW2 with the expectation that it would be a GW1 clone with shinier graphics and an open world.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

GSSBlunaspike.4153

It’s all about the Server. On mine I can’t walk a minute on ANY Map without seeing people running around doing stuff. There are a ton of people on my server and I get in a Overflow everytime in Lions Arch, the Pavillion and any Area where a Meta Event happens when I’m not fast enough.

So I got curious, and decided to check a few areas.

I decided to check LA, and the two most common champion farms in CS. I assume you will include 7 pm central as prime time, but who knows. The server is Borlis Pass. Which as I’m testing is listed as “very high”. I’m not sure what very high is, but I can post more screen shots. The only thing we have a queue on is the actual pavilion, which btw had an artificially low number set on it I will let others speculate why.

You are welcome to check the time stamps on the mini map.

edit
I absolutely agree it’s about what server you are on. It’s just that there are only 4 or 5 servers where you can actually see people. Most of the servers are just ghost towns. You can see people in a few maps, or just in the living story area. Otherwise it’s dead.

Attachments:

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

bravo! bravo! now get the title for fastest moving profession and combat revampers and i’ll be impressed.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

So I got cirous, and decided to check a few areas.

I decided to check LA, and the two most common champion farms in CS. I assume you will include 7 pm central as prime time, but who knows. The server is Borlis Pass. Which as I’m testing is listed as “very high”. I’m not sure what very high is, but I can post more screen shots. The only thing we have a queue on is the actual pavilion, which btw had an artificially low number set on it I will let others speculate why.

1st picture can be explained by culling (though that doesn’t mean the low numbers are disproved)

2nd and 3rd picture you can easily tell the champ train is at a different champion by looking at where the commander icon is :/

Edit: Yeah, guested onto Borlis Pass LA and it was pretty crowded. Counted 50+ people in the Bank/Mystic forge area (and some could have been removed due to culling)

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

Posted by: Unleashed.6195

Unleashed.6195

1st picture doesn’t even need an explanation, none of them do. I can guest on a server that’s brimming full to the point where Overflows are common and find places where few others are at the moment.

If the world were so crowded where you couldn’t take a screenshot without including a crowd, the game would be horribly overcrowded.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

So I got cirous, and decided to check a few areas.

edit
I absolutely agree it’s about what server you are on. It’s just that there are only 4 or 5 servers where you can actually see people. Most of the servers are just ghost towns. You can see people in a few maps, or just in the living story area. Otherwise it’s dead.

I don’t understand what you are trying to show in those screenshots, the LA screeny has maybe 8 people in it(culling maybe?) the other two(Cursed Shore I guess) has absolutely no-one but you and a couple bad-guy NPCs just standing around(super culling?).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Epistemic.8013

Epistemic.8013

edit

I’ve been on BP for several months, if that is meant to be a screenshot of LA during prime time you are being extremely misleading. But don’t take my word for it, just guest on over if you’re curious. No need for screenshots. I lol’d at the “dude check my timestamps” bit, thanks for that.

GSSBlunaspike.4153

edit

I’ve been on BP for several months, if that is meant to be a screenshot of LA during prime time you are being extremely misleading. But don’t take my word for it, just guest on over if you’re curious. No need for screenshots. I lol’d at the “dude check my timestamps” bit, thanks for that.

O.k., I will add you let’s go have a tour of bp right now.
edit: Well, you aren’t on. Hmm, but yeah please guest over. Maybe you think the zerg was somewhere else. I will go take some more screen shots though.

Anywhere in particular you want them? That said, culling doesn’t explain how the server is very high. I just ran from sparkfly all the way to arah, I saw 3 other people. I don’t mind at all backing up my argument with screen shots. I find it pretty interesting how no one else is willing to do the same though.

For a server classed as “very high” population there just isn’t anyone around. Maybe by very high they mean the 90 people in the living story area. If that’s the case then exactly what is classed as “very high”. Of course some official numbers on server population would fix this entirely, but for some reason I don’t see that happening.

Posted by: jerzeyzfinest.4258

jerzeyzfinest.4258

I’m sure the amount of people that you know making the servers “busy” isn’t really that noticeable. There’s plenty of others to take they’re place if they chose not to play.

nexxe.7081

Speculation as to population numbers is irrelevant anyway. We don’t have proof, and only A-net has the statistics.

Trying to prove GW2 is dead, based on one server, at one specific time, is laughable. With that logic, i can go to any low-pop server in WoW, take a screenshot, and claim WoW is dead.

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Speculation as to population numbers is irrelevant anyway. We don’t have proof, and only A-net has the statistics.

Trying to prove GW2 is dead, based on one server, at one specific time, is laughable. With that logic, i can go to any low-pop server in WoW, take a screenshot, and claim WoW is dead.

Not true, it was screen shots of a “high” server taken at prime time. That aside there is a reason we won’t get actual population numbers.

This has been a discussion since before christmas. WvW populations are pretty much a ratio to the server population. The lower 8 servers have a small amount of wvw players. It would be much better if Anet just merged the lower population servers, that way people would actually see others in the world.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

edit

Congrats! You’ve discovered culling (to be removed on Tuesday)!

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

I don’t understand where all the negativity is coming from…. I get that some people don’t like guild wars 2.. that’s great. But why in the world are you stalking the forums?

The game is obviously doing very well, and even if they weren’t, with the amount of players they’re about to get from China, I really don’t see the US game being dropped anytime soon at all.

And even THAT being said, there are a lot of people who played GW1 and actually really like GW2 (myself included). Is it mechanically the same as GW1? No. Is the story a little lighter than GW1? Yes. These were things that were to be expected. The game is open-world and that means the developers have to deal with a huge number of variables that were never even an issue with GW1 simply because of its design.

The story will catch up, in my opinion, now that most of the graphical problems, skill bugs, quest bugs etc have been fixed. And yes, I know there are quite a few of these around, but launching a game with millions of people playing it, trying to exploit it, using different builds, using different sequences of skills, using tonics and then aggroing, managing underwater combat, combining JPs, Vistas, heart quests, DE’s, personal story, PVP, WVWVW, balancing loot, etc, etc, etc, takes time to build a framework.

All of these things would be much MUCH more manageable if every zone was an instance only permitting 8 people in the area at once…like GW1.

Good things are coming, I am sure.

Congrats, ANET!

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

Empty maps does not mean empty servers. Most people on my friends list are in dungeons, WvW, or LA when they are on. There just isn’t equal incentive among maps to be there versus elsewhere.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Dramen Maidria.1034

I’d also like to add I played GW1 from a few months after release about up to the release of GW2 and I love this game. I just want FoW, UW, and DoA to come back in some form.
Edit: and Cantha

Dramen Maidria

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Know whats funny. DIABLO 3 SOLD 3.5 MILLION in a day.

Guild wars 2 sold 3 million in 9 months.

DIABLO 3 HAS SOLD OVER 12 MILLION thus far.

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/diablo-3-sold-how-many-copies/
http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/

If you ask me, Diablo 3 was a joke, its worst than GW2 because GW2 isn’t really that much fun as an MMORPG, maybe as an RPG, but MMO, GW2 is a terrible one.

Goes to show, marketing MAKES a DIFFERENCE.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Guess what?
Diablo 3 is not an MMO (even if Blizzard seems to wanted to make it one), so bringing D3 up isn’t really relevant to the discussion.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Dramen Maidria.1034

Diablo 3 sold copies based off of the franchise history (hence the huge amount in just a few days), using it in this sense is a very poor argument.

Dramen Maidria

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Wait a minute. If D3 sold 3.5M in 1 day and GW2 sold 3M in 9 months, how can they claim GW2 to be the fastest selling MMO of all time? Does D3 not count as a MMO?

Anyway, there was a simple overlook that I’m surprised wasn’t brought up for GW2. As Dramen Maidria said about D3, “Diablo 3 sold copies based off of the franchise history”, that is very much was GW2 did. They had the fanbase/playerbase and reputation from the first GW.

I think if Blizzard were to come out with a ‘sequel’ to WoW, ANet’s record would be blown out of the water.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It is silly, but people do it.

Anecdotally, I played GW1 for 5 years and I love GW2. Do you have any solid numbers to back up your claim that as a group GW1 fans don’t like GW2? I bet that you don’t.

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Wait a minute. If D3 sold 3.5M in 1 day and GW2 sold 3M in 9 months, how can they claim GW2 to be the fastest selling MMO of all time? Does D3 not count as a MMO?

Anyway, there was a simple overlook that I’m surprised wasn’t brought up for GW2. As Dramen Maidria said about D3, “Diablo 3 sold copies based off of the franchise history”, that is very much was GW2 did. They had the fanbase/playerbase and reputation from the first GW.

I think if Blizzard were to come out with a ‘sequel’ to WoW, ANet’s record would be blown out of the water.

D3 supports up to 4 players. how does anyone consider that ‘massively multiplayer’?

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Hopefully they will add more servers. Otherwise make a organized and orderly que to exit and make room for new players please lol

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

edit

Ghost towns? Maybe you should goto Lions Arch, that’s were everyone hangs out, also a lot of people are playing WvW so of course those PvE zones are empty.

GW2 PvP is esports, so that’s also another area where everyone is at.

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Diablo 3 sold copies based off of the franchise history (hence the huge amount in just a few days), using it in this sense is a very poor argument.

Are you aware that GW2 did the same?

How many of you can honestly watch that preview they put out for china and think “yeah that’s the game I play”. I can’t, I wish I could play that game.

Also why is d3 not an mmo? Was it massive? Yes. Was it multiplayer? Yes. Was it Online? Yes. The only reason they could make that claim they made is because they included so many qualifiers.

I also don’t understand how pointing out there aren’t many people around is equal to saying the game sucks. The game is good, not great, but it’s worth the price of admission. That doesn’t mean people are sticking around though. Again this is just a rerun of the swtor forums.

Instead of hiding from a problem it helps if you address the problem before it gets worse.

You are either joking, or have no clue. You want to know what an esport is, I will give you an example:
http://beta.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/

That is an esport, comparing the two is like saying you are a race car driver because you have a race car bed. That might even be overstating it at that. Maybe it’s like saying you are a race car driver because you vaguely saw a picture of a race car in a book from 3 miles away on a rainy day.

D3 supports up to 4 players. how does anyone consider that ‘massively multiplayer’?

Dungeons and pvp only support a few players…that doesn’t mean gw2 isn’t an mmo.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

How many of you can honestly watch that preview they put out for china and think “yeah that’s the game I play”. I can’t, I wish I could play that game.

Also why is d3 not an mmo? Was it massive? Yes. Was it multiplayer? Yes. Was it Online? Yes. The only reason they could make that claim they made is because they included so many qualifiers.

I also don’t understand how pointing out there aren’t many people around is equal to saying the game sucks. The game is good, not great, but it’s worth the price of admission. That doesn’t mean people are sticking around though. Again this is just a rerun of the swtor forums.

Instead of hiding from a problem it helps if you address the problem before it gets worse.

You are either joking, or have no clue. You want to know what an esport is, I will give you an example:
http://beta.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/

That is an esport, comparing the two is like saying you are a race car driver because you have a race car bed. That might even be overstating it at that. Maybe it’s like saying you are a race car driver because you vaguely saw a picture of a race car in a book from 3 miles away on a rainy day.

Your point of view on mmo means every game that is online is an mmo and if they have any type of rpg element to them then they are an mmorpg. D3 is not an mmorpg nor was D2 nor was GW1 nor is MH1-4?
Also the E-sports is kind of a big things in GW2 you just do not like it luckly things existed out side of your point of view and the world dose not go away when you close your eyes.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Your point of view on mmo means every game that is online is an mmo and if they have any type of rpg element to them then they are an mmorpg. D3 is not an mmorpg nor was D2 nor was GW1 nor is MH1-4?

Then apparently mmo doesn’t stand for massive multiplayer online. I welcome your definition then.

Also the E-sports is kind of a big things in GW2 you just do not like it luckly things existed out side of your point of view and the world dose not go away when you close your eyes.

GW2 can’t break triple digit viewership. Yes I admit it, I think the current conquest only is incredibly boring. That aside all of the GW2 viewership combined doesn’t equal what dyrus gets in a few days. There is NO comparison at all, and even implying there is one is just silly.

I will admit I’m wrong when a gw2 stream managed to get even 1% of the viewers that the lcs gets.

Jski.6180

Then apparently mmo doesn’t stand for massive multiplayer online. I welcome your definition then.

GW2 can’t break triple digit viewership. Yes I admit it, I think the current conquest only is incredibly boring. That aside all of the GW2 viewership combined doesn’t equal what dyrus gets in a few days. There is NO comparison at all, and even implying there is one is just silly.

I will admit I’m wrong when a gw2 stream managed to get even 1% of the viewers that the lcs gets.

Mmorpgs tend to be open world gaming with other ppl not small closed world events. This is the stander mmorpgs have been using from EQ1.

That a very bad argument about the same of “If no one watches me do something its not worth doing” it takes some time before things move to the same level of LoL or DotA2 (mind you these are about the same game type and GW2 falls more on the pure pvp side and not a pve type fight that you see in these 2 games).

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I think one of the main requirements for an MMORPG is a persistent world. It’s basically a world where you have players that can potentially be logged in 24/7 and there’s something happening even when you’re not around. Isometric action RPGs like Diablo 3 are purely instanced and don’t have a persistent world. Massively multiplayer also doesn’t apply when you have a very limited player count. Let’s just take WoW for instance just because. In WoW, you have a persistent world that can house thousands of players at any one time. Sure, you have instances that limit that number but regardless you still have the persistent world. Diablo 3 in contrast can only have up to four players in this supposed world because it’s entirely instanced. There’s no persistent world of any sort.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Mmorpgs tend to be open world gaming with other ppl not small closed world events. This is the stander mmorpgs have been using from EQ1.

That a very bad argument about the same of “If no one watches me do something its not worth doing” it takes some time before things move to the same level of LoL or DotA2 (mind you these are about the same game type and GW2 falls more on the pure pvp side and not a pve type fight that you see in these 2 games).

A persistent open world mmorpg is only one type of mmorpg. As for interactivity, players can interact with millions in both games through their respective trading posts. If we take away instances from GW2, where the player count is limited, there wouldn’t be too much to the game, at least nothing that has longevity.

Esports are built viewership and artistry of play. To counter your point. I’m sure there are a millions out there that play beer pong, but I doubt many would take to watching it.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

i still don’t get how d3 is an mmo?because of the auction house it has????how massive of d3 then xD an action(hack&slash)/rpg considering mmo because of the auction and the always on net drm…very very interesting

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Jski.6180

A persistent open world mmorpg is only one type of mmorpg.

Esports are built viewership and artistry of play. To counter your point. I’m sure there are a millions out there that play beer pong, but I doubt many would take to watching it.

No persistent open world is the main thing an mmorpg needs to be an mmorpg you could call CoD an mmorpg if you wanted to if you lose the persistent open world part of the def of an mmorpg. Its a very highly specialized type of game play in the gaming world this is also why the size of the ppl who play such games is still a small part of the over all pop of gamers.

As for beer games etc.. i think there are commotion for them and they are on tv mind you the size of the ppl who watch it may be small but it dose not changes the fact that it IS watched. You can say the same for other games that are not LoL or DotA2. Games have to start out some where even LoL was not that big back when DotA was out it took time even DotA need a lot of time to get to where SC1 was (sadly SC2 is not in the same places) So to simply wright off a game as not being an e-sport just because its viewer ships is not the best is simply backwards thinking that makes only a few games able to monopolize a market.

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Not to disagree with your points too much, but I think the Diablo 3 comparison is incredibly silly due to some major design differences. The bulk of content in Diablo 3 is oriented towards either solo or duo play (I believe you’re forced to have a companion? Correct me if I’m wrong), with the upper limit being four players, and aside from this, the world itself is much smaller, with areas likely leaning to more labyrinthine designs than open ones (I may be wrong here, too).

The difference in comparison to an MMO is that the world design leads to larger, more open areas with which other players may be easily encountered. I’m fairly certain Diablo 3 may have some form of lobbying system to group up with others, instead.

The lobbyless player encounters alongside the more open area designs of the bulk of MMO content are what primarily set them apart from say, MOBAs like LoL or hack and slash RPGs like Diablo and Torchlight. They may have huge playerbases supporting them, but if they’re not able to seamlessly encounter each other in a world, and that world itself isn’t vast and open, it strikes me as not much of a MMO. Albeit a unique case is being made with the game Nether, if it manages a large open world with labyrinthine design in the form of the cityscape, it still won’t invalidate my description since the players would still seamlessly encounter each other in it once the server selection is made.

Note: the key reason I’m emphasizing the open world design so much is that if I didn’t, we might suggest that games like Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls were MMOs, which simply isn’t the case (at least in my mind). They’re MOC-RPGs, Multiplayer Online Capable, but it’s not a necessity to play them.

I’m also fairly convinced that’s largely why Massive is used, besides just connecting a bunch of people together in the world. The worlds themselves at the time were probably a bit larger than players might’ve been accustomed to as well.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

(edited by Gmr Leon.1846)

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

So as long as one popular criteria isn’t met, then D3 can’t be an MMORPG? I see! Well then, I posit that GW2 can’t be an MMORPG because it lacks the trinity. Every since EQ1 and WoW the trinity has been a def feature of MMORPGS. The design of MMORPGs simply leads to the trinity. It is a highly specialized type of play to supplement gameplay in the open world. GW2 also lacks raids. Raids are why only a small part of the overall gamer population play MMOs, because Akittengg around people while using one or two abilities is highly specific type of play.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I’m Motoko.2875, and this is not BS! My proof is there! … Somewhere. Keep looking, pretend I don’t have to qualify my claims.

It all makes perfect sense when you do that.

On the off chance that my first statement didn’t convince you, allow me to contradict myself and tell you all those numbers that I said were gone are actually in game.

But not for long! New games are coming and they’re all gonna leave. Then you’ll see! Hahahahaha!

Jski.6180

So as long as one popular criteria isn’t met, then D3 can’t be an MMORPG? I see! Well then, I posit that GW2 can’t be an MMORPG because it lacks the trinity. Every since EQ1 and WoW the trinity has been a def feature of MMORPGS. The design of MMORPGs simply leads to the trinity. It is a highly specialized type of play to supplement gameplay in the open world. GW2 also lacks raids. Raids are why only a small part of the overall gamer population play MMOs, because Akittengg around people while using one or two abilities is highly specific type of play.

Then you cant call most mmorpgs that DO have the trinity system an mmorpg. See how measly it can get? There is a vast different between have some different ways of playing a game such playing an fps in an mmo environment such as PS2 Its not an rpg but it still mmo and has an open world that keeps going even when your not there. The fact thakittens not an rpg dose not effect if its a true mmo. Now when you have games that have NO open world that keeps going when you cut off the game but are still online is not an mmo because of this and this alone.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

If wishes were fishes and all that. Right now, as of this moment, Guild Wars 2 holds the record

(I think it would be beyond hilarious if Blizzard were to try to get D3 reclassed as a MMO)