GW2 feels like its missing something big.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Twil.6307

Twil.6307

This is not a “Game is dying/dead thread” or any variety.

I enjoy Guild wars 2 on a small level. I enjoyed levelling the first time round but having now seen all the zones I do not wish to complete it again. I have dabbled in the crafting and have seen the extent of what you can do with it, and enjoy pulling it up every now and then.
Dungeons I feel are a bit dry and almost repetitive, for quite small reward in my opinion, and currently the only remotely “fun” dungeon to do is a higher level fractals.

Guild Wars 2 just doesnt seem to have a grip or something to do outside of logging in for dailies, a couple of events with your friends and guildies. Guild Wars 1 I felt like I always had something to do, and something to work towards, whereas in Guild wars 2 now, I find it hard to log in because there isnt as much to do.

Does anyone else get this sometimes and how do they get around it? I want to play but each day I just feel compelled less and less because I have the things I want. Sure you got them in GW1 too, but it was fun just hopping around endgame because you could. This game just doesnt seem to have an end game as GW1.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I feel like a wide pvp event more structured than wvw is needed. Scheduled/timed sieges against people you wanna go against seems to be what’s lacking for me. Guild Wars without the actual guild wars is kinda meh.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I want to play but each day I just feel compelled less and less because I have the things I want.

See, you don’t want to play a game.

You want to grind.

If you wanted to play fun content, you would be happy with Guild Wars 2.

What the quote above tells us, though, is that you are driven to play in order to get things, not to experience things. You do not want to play through fun content – you are like a horse who only walks when there is a carrot dangling in front of its face.

There are many horse-based MMOs out there. All of the big ones are like that, I suggest picking one randomly and giving it a try. Meanwhile, GW2 is the only human-based MMORPG around (despite everything), so it doesn’t bother me the least that grinders think it’s missing grind.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Erasculio.2914

Actually it’s a legit post with factual points. So name this “fun content” in GW2 you speak of.

I’m not sure you understand what the word “factual” means.

But here, tell me one thing: if you don’t think there is any “fun content” in GW2… Why are you playing the game?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

It sounds weird, but if played for ‘some’ time, you could almost apply the phrase ‘I have won Guild Wars 2’. There is nothing left to do really, except wvw and pvp.

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

@ Nayru

- PvP (both WvW and structured)
- Seasonal events.
- Achievements (all of the non-gold / grind achievement in this game are actually fun to do)

I’m positive other people find other parts of the game more enjoyable for them.
If you can’t find anything, I do wonder what you’re still doing here.

Erasculio.2914

Actually it’s a legit post with factual points. So name this “fun content” in GW2 you speak of.

I’m not sure you understand what the word “factual” means.

But here, tell me one thing: if you don’t think there is any “fun content” in GW2… Why are you playing the game?

Guess you can’t answer the question. Oh well.

Can you?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I feel like everything is too quick in GW2. They spent 5 years building a beautiful world like no other, but at the same time put everything in place to make sure you see all of it in less than a month or two. Of course we can take our time, but nothing is built in a way to make us want or need to take our time.

From leveling up, to events and to player interaction, everything feel ephemeral and too quick.
There’s also no sense and no need for community. This could be an offline game with multiplayer option and it would work as well.

Ever since Beta I call it an Arcade MMO. And I still feel that way. Kind of MMO you put a coin in and play for an hour or two then leave for a month.

GW2 is certainly not an MMO for MMO player.

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I have played every day since launch (not counting beta weekends) and I still have plenty to do and I’m still having fun. I still don’t have a legendary, I still haven’t done sone completion and I still haven’t done every dungeon, jumping puzzle or mini-dungeon. I’ve only dabbled in sPvP and I only have two level 80s. I can’t tell the OP how to play or how to enjoy the game, everyone is different, I just do what I feel like doing at the time (I did spend a lot of time in Wv3 in the first two months though.

I do wish Wv3 was more like planetside2 though. Objectives would be better if they could only be captured by holding multiple control points at the same time for a certain time frame and only after certain prerequisite objectives had been completed.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

Erasculio.2914

It’s a MMO for people who don’t like MMOs. Which is GW2’s main appeal and its biggest strength.

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

@ Nayru

- Seasonal events.
- Achievements (all of the non-gold / grind achievement in this game are actually fun to do)

If that’s all the fun content then I fear for this game.

don’t worry, your Gear Treadmill is apparently on the way. then you’ll finally have your “fun content”.

as for me, thus far, I have yet to see any “non-fun” content. I’ve enjoyed everything so far. even the Jumping Puzzles.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Posted by: Belegorm.8975

Belegorm.8975

It’s a MMO for people who don’t like MMOs. Which is GW2’s main appeal and its biggest strength.

Oh look, you’re back to troll another thread (or white knight it, depending on one’s viewpoint).

Most MMOs have a stick and carrot approach. GW2 has a stick which is also supposed to be the carrot, according to your view. You should have fun just experiencing going through the content.

However… all of the content feels so kitten similar after a while, and if I don’t have something good to show for it then there’s little reason to continue doing the same things over and over again. If GW2 is an MMO not for MMO players, then according to your view, it’s a game for single players which ends when you’ve experienced everything.

Pity most (including myself) will probably not reach that point becomes it becomes too boring after you get through a quarter of it, as you go through more of the same.

P.S. the fact that you act so kitten condescending in every post of yours is highly irritating; please get off your high horse

Lisotte [SOS] Mesmer | Riselotte [SOS] Thief
Anvil Rock
Member of Syndicate of Shadows

Posted by: aocypher.9172

aocypher.9172

I agree with Haishao. GW2 is missing a sense of community.

Stealing an idea from Aion, I would love it if there were special dungeons with unique items/skins that can only be accessed if your server controls a specific fort in a WvWvW map. And the guild that contributes the most to taking that fort should have their GUILD TAG and EMBLEM displayed in the fort’s name/in the fort. This adds another reason for guilds and will motivate the entire server.

The map should also be infested with enemy NPC faction(s) that will try to retake the fort at regular known intervals; which enemy servers can exploit. >.>

Posted by: Clorox Sour.5142

Clorox Sour.5142

Then why do a lot of us GW1 players find it stale? There certainly is something missing. One of the biggest I can think of right now is the players segregated across servers. Sure, there’s overflows, but why can’t we have the option of CHOOSING to go into an overflow as opposed to a dead servers zone? Also, I’m pretty sure it would be easy for them to change how nodes respawn. The timer’s already character bound is it not? How hard would it be to mesh all the timers into one for all the overflows/home server?

It’s funny, because right now in LA on TC(One of the biggest pve servers?) it’s pretty dead and most people are afk, or not shouting in map, or being social at all, which gives the appearance of a dead city. Even the culling cuts issues cut down on it when every 5 feet I take people appear and disappear. Yet the overflows for LA are as lively as ever.

I think, what we need, is districts, like GW1. WvWvW could still certainly operate by laying claim to a home server or home region of choice. Same as GW1 where you fight for the kurz or lux in AB. With that in mind WvWvW would be fine as server transfers are still once a week or every 7 days, however it works.

/endrant

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

It’s missing a culling fix for WvW, a removal of DR (worst idea ever) and a relevant crafting system.

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

A sense of community, yes it definitely missing.

I see no reason to really be social at all in this game so far. I see another dude, we finish a event, we go our seperate ways, yeah, but beyond that, the game seems very single-playerish.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Erasculio.2914

It’s funny, because right now in LA on TC(One of the biggest pve servers?) it’s pretty dead and most people are afk, or not shouting in map, or being social at all, which gives the appearance of a dead city. Even the culling cuts issues cut down on it when every 5 feet I take people appear and disappear. Yet the overflows for LA are as lively as ever.

If you are going into overflow servers, it means there are so many people inside that area that the game had to create an overflow. Which means, if the LA overflow is lively, the “real” LA in your server has at least as many players inside of it as the overflow.

Thus, if those players within your server’s LA are not talking or socializing… It’s simply because they don’t want to, not because they are not there. Would you rather force those players to socialize, even if they don’t want to?

Clorox Sour.5142

I see no reason to really be social at all in this game so far. I see another dude, we finish a event, we go our seperate ways, yeah, but beyond that, the game seems very single-playerish.

That’s exactly how I feel. Lack of community and socializing in a lot of players. I can do whole Fractals without even a peep from anyone in my party. Sure the game might require us to move a lot, but it’s honestly not that hard, I spam guild chat all night and play just fine without dying.

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

@ Nayru

- Seasonal events.

If that’s all the fun content then I fear for this game.

Interesting point.
Do tell me what did you find fun in other MMO’s?

Clorox Sour.5142

If you are going into overflow servers, it means there are so many people inside that area that the game had to create an overflow. Which means, if the LA overflow is lively, the “real” LA in your server has at least as many players inside of it as the overflow.

Thus, if those players within your server’s LA are not talking or socializing… It’s simply because they don’t want to, not because they are not there. Would you rather force those players to socialize, even if they don’t want to?

Not everyone is afk, yes. But when I can sit in my home servers LA for 30 minutes going about my own business, guild chat, TPing, crafting, what have you. Not a single LFG or people speaking in map chat? Given it was around 6pm PST, I think there is something wrong.

Erasculio.2914

Same as in my previous post. The game gives you and everyone else the option of being social – if people don’t want to take that opportunity, what does that tell you? That the game is wrong by not forcing people to do something they don’t want to do? Or that the MMO community simply isn’t as social as you expect it to be?

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

It’s missing large scale, organized, group PvE content. Which leads to zero guild progression and team play.

The whole game is “playing along side” others, not “with” them – there is no need whatsoever for a guild.

That’s just for starters.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

Accomplishments.

GW2 is missing accomplishments. Don’t mistake this for the phooey achievements in the game, as they are rote and benign. I’m talking about skill employment of your skills, overcoming an obstacle and reaping the REWARD from conquesting that obstacle.

The problem is, the skill ceiling. Sure, the game is designed around player skill > gear. That’s neat, in concept, expect there is a HARD cap ceiling on the game that when you reach that ceiling, when you hit that bar, there is no room to stretch, nothing to ‘strut your stuff’ and show off with some neat little skill prize.

And when you DO hit that ceiling, you find 10’s of thousands of other people there who have reached that ‘niche’ and you ask yourself…now what? You are no different than anyone else, because the skill cap is undenyably easy to achieve and places you with….everyone else.

For a system that was supposed to set you aside with skill, all it does it stand you next to everyone else, and you go from feeling skillful to…another facein the crowd.

Or so that’s how I feel.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I think Alliance Battles need to come back and WvW needs to be made smaller to compliment a player drop. WvW is just a system that requires macrocosmic coordination and since the game caters to casuals in the combat system, skill system, and almost every other part of the game, it’s just not consistent with the whole. That means, while it’s a nice concept, WvW can make the majority of players (since theres no tangible reason to group outside of dungeons or really even have a guild in this game outside the chat feature) feel really alienated if not bored to tears.

Overall, i think gutting the trinity was a bad idea. It maintained a structure in the genre and the lack of it just feels like a black hole in this game. As is, combat and grouping is pretty shallow without those roles. Yeah they are still kinda there, but very, very homogenized and not very distinct or effectual.

Another thing that probably needs to go is down state.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I think the game actually lacks a sense of progression, nd I’m not talking about gear-grinding. I’m talking about existing a point to keep us going forward.

GW1 was excellent at this through its story structure: be it either from campaigns or from GW: Beyond free content, GW1 had a tight story structure where the more you advanced through the story, the more the world opened up; and there was always story quests inbetween missions and cutscenes to not break the storytelling flow, and you could interact with story characters through gameplay anytime with the hero/ henchmen system. Not only that, but the missions were hard (at the time they were released) and party-driven, which created an excellent sense of community and a secondary “point” to playing the game (overcoming your obstacles through social interaction, skill building and strategy). Finally, the storyline in GW1 was better at making you feel the world and the lore, so each time you went into a new area, you could feel its ambience and backstory not only visually or through gameplay, but also thanks to the story.

GW2’s story structure is barebones. There’s no social interaction, there’s no story quests inbetween each instance, and whenever you need to backtrack, you need to pay for teleportation, which not eveyone will want to do so right at that moment, further breaking the story flow. The story itself takes us to places, but does not cares about them, so we end up not caring about them neither. I remember going into Mount Maelstrom through the story, excited about what kind of place that would be, but the only thing the story cared about, was introducing a new character to ditch it a few levels later, as it always does through the entire game. Those characters are then forgotten, and the lore of the places we visit is left to other sources: and they’re not many nor very expressive and/ or that interesting at telling us about the world.

So with weaker storytelling and weaker story structure, what are we left with (outside of dungeons)? The devs tell us the game is about exploring the world the way we want to. But why? What’s the point? For fun, they say. And surely, if we enjoy GW2, we find it fun, but then new problems start to become clear: General pve enemies are extremely easy and mindless to kill. Map completion is very mathematical and, after a few full completions, starts to become very repetitive. Social interaction is almost non-existant, outside of events which are completed through zergs instead of minimal party coordenation. And the entire pve experience falls into this: grind for hearts and other kinds of map completion, while grinding enemies inbetween to complete those tasks. Repeat and repeat. All solo, with no meaningful reason to interact with other players you see.

This leads to a very soulless experience overtime. With no meaningful social interaction, no meaningful storytelling progression, no meaningful obstacles other than your patience to complete a map, it all turns into a huge and mindless horizontal map grind, instead of the traditional vertical gear-grind (which this game has too, at a lesser extent).

I think GW2 has a solid dev team and solid concepts, but still needs to be polished. I can certainly see that the monthly updates improve upon a few of those areas, especially at creative quests/ instances and at social interaction.

But generally, the whole game suffers from a very lack of progressive/ meaningful direction. You’re basically thrown into the world, and you have the “freedom” to explore the world, but that essencially means the freedom to pick which heart you want to do first, which usually does not matters much, because they’re almost always the same, and you have to do both anyways. You don’t interact with the players of the world because there’s almost no party-driven content and mechanics. You don’t feel the dangers of the world because everything is so easy and mindless, and that also makes most areas play the same. In fact, even when battles are hard, it’s only because foes hit hard. That’s it, for most of the time you spent exploring. And you explore a beautiful landscape, until starts feeling like a grind when you realize how repetitive the hearts are. And there’s an entire lore that is underdelivered, an entire story that fails to deliver the lore of the world or the development of characters, and a barebones story structure that further cripples it out.

I would personally like to read the dev’s thoughts on this matter, if they ever read this thread.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Dungeons I feel are a bit dry and almost repetitive, for quite small reward in my opinion, and currently the only remotely “fun” dungeon to do is a higher level fractals.

Guild Wars 2 just doesnt seem to have a grip or something to do outside of logging in for dailies, a couple of events with your friends and guildies. Guild Wars 1 I felt like I always had something to do, and something to work towards, whereas in Guild wars 2 now, I find it hard to log in because there isnt as much to do.

Does anyone else get this sometimes and how do they get around it? I want to play but each day I just feel compelled less and less because I have the things I want. Sure you got them in GW1 too, but it was fun just hopping around endgame because you could. This game just doesnt seem to have an end game as GW1.

Most things in this game besides the pvp remind me of this video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESE-QzPpZ50

I was promised epic dragon battles and huge world events. What I got was puffball collections.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

Wow, Diogo…

/clap

You articulate so much of what I feel, in such a way that I could never express. Bravo to you, good sir.

Posted by: Minibiskit.6158

Minibiskit.6158

When I go back to the starting zones to level an alt, I realized that the renown heart system adds too much linearity to the game. I feel like I’m in WoW again with the trail of quests across a zone, with no real free exploration.

My solution? Ignore renown hearts. Seriously, you won’t miss out on any exp. I found that if I just cruised across zones hunting down skill points and moved on, I discovered places and events I never knew existed. I ducked in and out of dynamic events with other players, getting gold rewards every time. Zones felt fresh again and I had more skill points to buy abilities and experiment with new builds.

I’d encourage anyone who has zone fatigue to try this method and see how you like it.

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

What you’re feeling now is actually the same thing some people felt at the first few months of GW1 release. In fact it was worse back then.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I think in the future, they should ditch hearts completely (if they haven’t already), and substitute them for tasks at a bigger scale, with a lot of diverse accomplishments, that go from exploring to doing events to doing silly tasks, so you can complete said tasks.

Also, lots and lots of tight, story-driven quests. Have event chains tell stories from a global prespective AND require party-coordination to go anywhere, and have party instances unlocked at the end of those event chains to flesh out and conclude the story archs at a more personal level. I’m not talking about the main story, but many narrative sequences spread through the game that makes us care for those areas, that makes us care for the characters of those areas, that makes us seriously interact with the players exploring those areas, and that offers us a more diversified, creative gameplay content especifically designed to enhance the storytelling.

Also far rewards at the end that can only be obtained once (every week or so), so that players will want to do them all, without having to grind any of them several times.

Have those mechanics be required for map completion, and if the playerbase becomes a problem, there’s always solutions: extra incentives, an entire redesign of the server system, or even heroes/ henchmen.

Posted by: Starfall.6813

Starfall.6813

I think in the future, they should ditch hearts completely (if they haven’t already), and substitute them for tasks at a bigger scale, with a lot of diverse accomplishments, that go from exploring to doing events to doing silly tasks, so you can complete said tasks.

Also, lots and lots of tight, story-driven quests. Have event chains tell stories from a global prespective AND require party-coordination to go anywhere, and have party instances unlocked at the end of those event chains to flesh out and conclude the story archs at a more personal level. I’m not talking about the main story, but many narrative sequences spread through the game that makes us care for those areas, that makes us care for the characters of those areas, that makes us seriously interact with the players exploring those areas, and that offers us a more diversified, creative gameplay content especifically designed to enhance the storytelling.

Also far rewards at the end that can only be obtained once (every week or so), so that players will want to do them all, without having to grind any of them several times.

Have those mechanics be required for map completion, and if the playerbase becomes a problem, there’s always solutions: extra incentives, an entire redesign of the server system, or even heroes/ henchmen.

IIRC, that’s how the game was designed originally. And hearts were only added because players freaked out when they had nothing there to direct them. I love the open feel of the game, and being able to just pick a direction and go. But some people need a little more structure.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

I want to play but each day I just feel compelled less and less because I have the things I want.

so it doesn’t bother me the least that grinders think it’s missing grind.

The game is extremely grindy. I’ve never seen less rewarding dungeons, farming, or really just about any other content.

It all seems very shortsighted.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

WvW is a suggestion

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Twil.6307

See, you don’t want to play a game.

You want to grind.

If you wanted to play fun content, you would be happy with Guild Wars 2.

What the quote above tells us, though, is that you are driven to play in order to get things, not to experience things. You do not want to play through fun content – you are like a horse who only walks when there is a carrot dangling in front of its face.

There are many horse-based MMOs out there. All of the big ones are like that, I suggest picking one randomly and giving it a try. Meanwhile, GW2 is the only human-based MMORPG around (despite everything), so it doesn’t bother me the least that grinders think it’s missing grind.

This is EXACTLY the opposite of what I mean. I couldnt give a flying monkey about a grind. Guild Wars 1 wasnt a grind? You could reach the kitten max level in under half a day. You could gear up your character instantly. Everything, like this game (supposedly) was cosmetic and you just played the games with your friends. I could sit for hours on end, doing missions, hard modes, speedclears, whatever it was. I didnt care, because it was with friends and it was really amazing fun to do.

In this game, what can you do with your friends? 5 man fractals (down from 8man partys in guild wars). Ok, cool so Fractals I will admit is fun. It is in no way a grind because you can craft some gear and use greens or whatever you wish.

Dynamic events, they were fun the first 2-3 times. 10 times later they are boring. Underworld? I cant even begin to think how many times I completed that place let alone ran it.

Like other posters have said, PvE side there is very little room for “fun content”, because once you cut Dynamic events out of it, thats a pretty large chunk taken from the game, and each dungeon is similar to the rest, so once you do each path once, thats out. Now tell me what I’m supposed to do?

Guild Wars 1 content had a replayability factor to it. Even though I am technically contradicting what I have previously stated, it is the same thing over and over again but it was much more fun and made me want to return again and again. What grind is underworld? Nothing.

So explain to me where you conclude I require a grind, and then tell me about all this fun content I appear to have completely missed.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

This is not a “Game is dying/dead thread” or any variety.

I enjoy Guild wars 2 on a small level. I enjoyed levelling the first time round but having now seen all the zones I do not wish to complete it again. I have dabbled in the crafting and have seen the extent of what you can do with it, and enjoy pulling it up every now and then.

Well for a start, which part of end game are you referring to in gw1? And what stage of gw1 are you comparing to gw2? If you’re comparing gw1 as it is now, then ofc you’re not going to have the same end game in gw2 for a simple reason; the age difference of the 2 games. gw1 has 3 major expansions + eye of the north which imo is big enough to qualify for the 4th expac.
If you want to do a fair comparison, then you should be comparing current stage of gw2 to Prophecies only, which was the first core release of gw1. Once we get similar number of expacs, then i would be interested in what you have to say.
I sympathise with you in a way, we waited for gw2 for so long and eagerly consumed the content. I think perhaps that gw2 allows for too faster pace of gameplay for an initial release and we got to the end too fast because we could. Perhaps a bit of self-moderation is in order lol.

Posted by: Khemizt.5104

Khemizt.5104

GW2 is missing a progressive endgame.

Posted by: xardrion.4607

xardrion.4607

The question on progression can be easily answer with a metaphor;
Let’s take all the guys that work out at the gym. Why are most of them doing it? For fun?
No, most of us do it for the results ( either looks or preformance), even if those result start to scale down the more involved we get into working out. But by then we are already cought up in the “system” of training, aka we learn to love the so called “chore”.

Imagine now that it’s proven that no matter how hard you work out, no results in muscle growth will show. How many would still work out for “fun” ?

Or the other extreme , where you get a complete athletes body within days of working out. Would it still be apealing to work out afterwards? Would people bother to even start working out since it’s so accessible? Cause hey it isn’t special anymore.

Apart for the Legendaries ( that should be hard to get) my problem with GW2 atm, everything is taken to the extreme. You farm ALOT and hard for minor cosmetic changes, and to little with things that actually shows a character growth, numbers.

Dont get me wrong, i dont want another WoW-game where every piece of gear adds to much, that newer players cant keep up, aswell as old content beeing forgotten.

But a constant stream of small changes in stats, or in sigils for those who actually manages for an example Frac 30, or even some spells with a more fun factor to it then pure OP’ness. Cause atm alt are more or less the only “showing progression” the game has.

Twil.6307

Self moderation? I played for the first 3 days of headstart, bored to hell of the bugs. Came back 3 weeks ago and have played maybe a few hours a day missing a day here or there. Please tell me where self moderation comes into effect? Its not like I sit this game 14 hours a day.

Posted by: I Karnor I.1823

I Karnor I.1823

As a long time GW1 player I am disappointed with this game.

There is a distinct lack of community in the game. The guild system is a joke for a game called Guild Wars. The end content is lacking.

WvW is not an answer to players that are not PvP(ish) centric. I like to mix my game play between PvE and PvP but this game is proving very hard to find a balance.

There is a distinct lack of an effective crafting mechanism in the game and the lack of a face to face trading system is lame.

I personally miss the trinity as I have not seen an effective replacement for it in this game.

Fractals has saved the game for me for a brief while, as it is actually rewarding unlike the rest of the game. It will allow me to continue until this fabled massive build due early next year that will answer our desires. I seriously hope it does materialize, otherwise I fear for this game.

I could go on with a massive list of points but what’s the point. The fan boys will never listen.

On top of all of this. Whenever we develop an effective farm to keep us interested the nerf hammer comes down hard. So can I be bothered to grind for a legendary weapon? Nope.

This is all my humble personal opinion and I do not care one iota for the fan boys and their inevitable sycophant reposts.

This quote sums the game up very accurately for me

Ever since Beta I call it an Arcade MMO. And I still feel that way. Kind of MMO you put a coin in and play for an hour or two then leave for a month.

Legacy Of Nosferatu [KISS]

Twil.6307

As a long time GW1 player I am disappointed with this game.

Fractals has saved the game for me for a brief while, as it is actually rewarding unlike the rest of the game.

And before someone jumps on him fractals isnt a grind. People just need to realise theres a massive difference between incentive and having something to grind for.

Do your job and get paid nothing. Or do you enjoy GRINDING money in real life? Similar concept.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

yes i feel the same at least compared to gw1. the first month i was fine and was enjoying spamming dungeons like a mofo then when DR was introduced and i had most everything i wanted from those dungeons i pretty much lost interest completely. In gw1 i remember doing uw all day without being bored because 1. you had a chance of epic skins that you COULD sell (not like in gw2, can’t sell fractal/ascended rings for ****). 2. always a nice flow of ectos and most importantly it was fun and fun for months/years. No dungeons in gw2 are even 1/10 of uw/fow/the deep fun factor. If anet doesn’t release something new, without ******** DR and challenging in the next month, i have no idea what could i possible do other than stand in LA afk… I have all the ascended rings i needed, don’t care about legendaries what could i possibly do? I want rewarding/challenging dungeons and fractals reward is totally dry after you’ve got your rings/fractal weps. I want a goal, like i had in uw for example (rare minis/eternal sword/crystalline sword) and i was able to spam uw as much as I wanted, not freaking once a day BS.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Roargathor.2743

Roargathor.2743

Fractals killed WvW on many servers because so many players feel compelled to grind for Ascended gear. Huge mistake. This game was the go to for PvP. Now it’s a joke.

Posted by: steelwind.1054

steelwind.1054

1. by far – Player housing!!! I have grown tired of playing MMO’s without this feature and for me to commit to game long term, I need a place to hang my hat.
  2. Contested dungeon with PvP (Darkness Falls from DaOC). Where you have to clear players out via PvP before it is safe for PvE. In a sense this would in turn adds an element of world PvP.
  3. Mounts (not flying). I would love to see a mount system similar to what is planned for Archeage where your mount has skills/utility(storage) and can die.
  4. Ship building/naval warfare. With as much effort that Anet has put into underwater exploration/battle it seems to be a good fit.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I think it’s the towns and cities that is missing something.

I do simple tasks to Finnish a heart and do a few DE’s. Then move on to the next area.
*most NPC’s are standing in one spot doing nothing.“I would like to see them moving around more do stuff.”
*No town lore. “I would like to learn more of the towns history from books and NPC’s.”
*Few small DE’s for one player to do in towns. “adding small tasks to do for other NPC’s”
*Need more NPC player interactions.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

Fractals killed WvW on many servers because so many players feel compelled to grind for Ascended gear. Huge mistake. This game was the go to for PvP. Now it’s a joke.

Agreed. They need to either reduce the rewards in fractals or SIGNIFICANTLY boost rewards/incentives for doing PvP, exploring the world, and all the other PvE dungeons. Not to mention there will be more people to do dynamic events. That will make servers more lively and give people something to log in for. I miss farming around in zones for Festival items. Higher drop rates made it worthwhile since you constantly had glittering seasonal items to farm for and use toward your sweet tooth, drunkard, party animal etc, titles. I guess the ugly wool clothes work well, but somehow I feel like i don’t get very many drops. They seem so rare, so I ended up just using gold to get what I needed for skins off of the TP. Granted, there is a great variety of items to acquire, just the process of getting them isn’t as fun for some reason.

(edited by Zhaneel.9208)

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

This rings true to me.

I kept playing some other MMOs long after there was any vertical progression for my character. I quit playing other games when there was plenty of vertical progression within my grasp. Fact is most mmorpgs won’t keep you going on gameplay alone — even single-player RPGs, if you get 100 hrs of gameplay, it’s a winner.

The games I stuck with the longest were ones that pushed me into relationships and regular activities. I’m seeing a guild that was extremely strong and active in a not-great game (Rift) act less community-like in GW2. Too many have given up on wvw, which has a lot of negativity. Used to be, we had dungeons to team up for. Now not even that because we’re at different fractal levels…

I think GW2 is a lot better game than Rift, at least for me, but it doesn’t encourage the social parts that keep you interested in a game when the actual gameplay gets mundane.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Agreed. They need to either reduce the rewards in fractals or SIGNIFICANTLY boost rewards/incentives for doing PvP, exploring the world, and all the other PvE dungeons. Not to mention there will be more people to do dynamic events. That will make servers more lively and give people something to log in for. I miss farming around in zones for Festival items. Higher drop rates made it worthwhile since you constantly had glittering seasonal items to farm for and use toward your sweet tooth, drunkard, party animal etc, titles. I guess the ugly wool clothes work well, but somehow I feel like i don’t get very many drops. They seem so rare, so I ended up just using gold to get what I needed for skins off of the TP. Granted, there is a great variety of items to acquire, just the process of getting them isn’t as fun for some reason.

How can you even say OR “SIGNIFICANTLY boost rewards/incentives for doing PvP, exploring the world, and all the other PvE dungeons” nothing is rewarding in this game because they want you to buy gems and make stuff with mystic toilet. Its not a question of OR but completely increasing reward everywhere. Everywhere you go the reward feels like a joke… even fractals compared to something like UW in gw1 are laughable. So no, its not fractals that should be decreased to a joke level but upping everything and i mean everything.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The pvp situation was a problem a while ago, because you can start on day 1, but the system still isn’t ready. Since you’re fully ready for pvp at lvl 2, it took players that many fewer hours than pve types to see the endgame wasn’t ready yet.

For WvW, part of the problem with that is competition, such as Planetside 2. There’s strong compelling wvwvw gameplay in a game that’s actually designed for it, doesn’t have culling, much bigger scale with more variety, etc.

This game’s pvp and wvw were weak long before ascended gear (not to mention the tiny stat difference matters the least in wvw and not at all in pvp).

Posted by: Roargathor.2743

Roargathor.2743

I don’t know why there’s 3 border lands and the Eternal battle grounds. Populations are far too spread out and thin.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Guild Wars 2 is missing a story. Ever since Zhaitan got his undead butt kicked the world has become a story empty place. Ah, the Karka? You must be joking…