GW2 forums over the last few weeks...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This isn’t just here – it’s happening elsewhere, as well.

I don’t know whether the problem is coming from the top, in games lately?

Or whether (probably more likely) it is the new crop of games devs, who are determined to take games in a very specific type of direction (mainly backwards!) and forget the majority of the players’ wants/needs?

But, yes, it seems to be an industry trend.

It’s a mistake, but there you go.

The last few weeks have been far worse due to the horrendous balance issues with the game in sPvP and how that filters through to PvE. Warriors and Thieves have been kicked down the crapper, metacrap has been all the rage and not even having a pro-team QUIT ON STREAM is enough to get Anet to push out more MEANINGFUL BALANCE CHANGES.

I’m happy to see all the negativity, because it’s reflective of my own feelings on the PvP situation.

They were both very OP, in WvW.

Thieves weren’t considered to be good, in zergs, but they were the kings of ganking.

I don’t do sPVP, so I can’t comment on that, but I’m assuming they were probably OP there, too?

It’s possible they have been over-adjusted the other way, or that they just got used to being Gods.

That often happened in WoW.

Something very OP got nerfed slightly and its players, who were generally the type of players who only ever played OP classes, weren’t used to ever losing.

So, if they started losing, they extrapolated from that, that they must have been over-nerfed.

Even though, in many cases, they were still stronger than some other classes had ever been…

Not saying that is the case here, but it is something that happens.

Either way, both classes were extremely OP, previously, so it’s kind of hard to be too upset for them, now.

Especially as they were, almost certainly, totally scaring off newer players.

Especially newer players who were playing less strong classes.

When I first started playing, on Ranger, thieves were one (or, at most, two) shotting me from stealth and trying to fight warriors was a total non-starter.

If I knew a thief was lurking around (as they ALWAYS were, then, as they were so OP), I just didn’t try to go anywhere, anymore.

That, pretty obviously, isn’t good for the game.

Of course, things should be made fair, if they really aren’t ATM, but still.

I’m all for meaningful balance changes, but those take time and just making those two classes stronger again, would obviously just return us to the previous (totally undesirable) situation.

Thieves were never strong in WvW – there were better roamers out there- that would be mesmer.

Warrior was decent at roaming – good in zerg WvW and basically half decent in PvP before HoT.

Why is it that you don’t even know how things were in sPvP but “assume” things just because you heard about some stuff. If you had played the game you’d have know what was up.

They’re weak now because of the changes to the other classes.
Warriors weren’t nerfed (I can’t speak for thief because I don’t play it much) but every other class was buffed through the roof with the new elite specs that are pretty good in PvP now – except for berserker which is just kinda meh.
The meta has shifted and its new shift means classes that rely on landing their heavy hits effectively and in a consistent manner to do their job are now out of luck – there’s so much evade,blind,block and whatnot spam that you cant’ get a good hit in.

You ever consider the fact that some classes beat you easily when you first started might be a l2p issue and not an issue with said classes?

When I started sPvP after HoT every elite spec ruined me until I figured out what they did and how to outplay them.

Your post pretty much proves you don’t really get PvP balance.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

The forums and playerbase have been afflicted with many people who are always agreeing with Anet and those who are satisfied with the product oftentimes, in my experience, seem to be newer players or not of the ‘hardcore’ or longtime veteran crowd. They continually have faith in the game, but for those like myself who have been around for such a long time, there are many, many players, friends, etc that have left the game, like myself, due to discontent.

Precisely – their faith and good attitude stem from the fact they haven’t been with the game long and haven’t experienced Anet at its finest – as some of us who have been here have.

I’d have good will and faith in them too – I did when the game launched – but too many times have we had the rug pulled from under us, or been told something that wouldn’t come to be or just plain and simple saw them fail at things.
I can’t honestly hold much faith anymore.

Even when they do something good – I’m just waiting for the next bad thing. I can’t relax and have faith anymore because there’s a pattern there.

They did let’s say – FOTM – on original release it was awesome – every time they’ve touched it since ( including the HoT changes) they’ve made it somehow worse. Sometimes a bit better in some ways – but overall worse.

So yes – the latest December rewards update patch was good – and I was happy for it – but I can’t really relax considering the next time they do something to change fractals they’ll probably ruin it in some way I can’t even foresee right now.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I feel a lot of negativity would have been avoided if the people complaining felt Anet is listening. We still have no idea how raids are meant to be endgame content, when or if SAB is coming back, when GvG will be implemented (along with a bigger guild arena), when more Stronghold will be made, if balance issues and build variety will be fixed, and when the required server merge for WvW will happen…

If all these things receive a clear answer we will be on good grounds for the future.

They stated that raids were specifically meant to be end-game content. Can you clarify what you mean?

They have stated several times that SAB will come back. They likely will not release a date until a week or two before it is released. My guess now is around April 1st.

I think next week’s update will have some balance changes. I’m not sure what those are and if they’d address what you have issues with.

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

I’m going to address your post because I think something is wrong.
The hardcore burning out fastest – that’s where you’re wrong.

I’m hardcore – my time played vs number of days since GW2’s release means I’ve played an average of 3 hours ( actually a bit over) of GW2 ever since it was released – every day.
Moreover that hasn’t been very condensed – eg 9-10 hours on some days and no time on other days – because I doubt I’ve had more than 5 days in which I didn’t log into GW2 in 2015.

And before you assume I do nothing else but game – you’re wrong – I also finished university this year and have other things I do as well.

That’s what hardcore means – it means being invested in something and sticking with it.

apologies for any confusion (unclear wording on my part). when i use the term ‘hardcore’ i’m not specifically referring to the amount of time played (although this can overlap with ‘hardcore’).

i’m referring to the section of the playerbase that likes ‘hardcore’ (one could also call this ‘extreme’ ) content. they like tough trash mobs and unpleasant maps and most will at least reference raiding. this is what distinguishes the ‘hardcore’ from the filthy casual (95% of gw2’s players).

by catering to this mountain dew guzzling segment- anet has made a game that is dull and irritating for the majority of players. and the ‘hardcore’ set will move onto the next game with raids and ‘extreme’ pve (:D)…meanwhile the casuals (those that play the game for years) are left with this ‘hardcore’ silliness.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

…and the most reoccurring element has been concern/pessimism for the future of the game. I know similar things happen for every MMO in varying degrees, but I noticed it seemingly everywhere I looked; regardless of the website over the course of the last few week(s). I know Anet does not talk about content updates much before hand, but from what I am seeing a large number of people need something to give them hope. A hope that what could potentially be their favorite game is not slowly dying away. I am not posting this to start anything; I have just recently returned for HoT myself, and am curious as to whether the community is really that lacking/in a bad way. I noticed a definite drop in the server populations (from full to high, and high to low, etc.). I just want to know if something occurred to warrant it, or if I am just not aware of changes that have been made that would cause at least the appearance of such a population shift. I am hoping for a number of positive changes/additions that spell a bright future in Tyria as we move into this new year.

Server population drop is from pretty much everyone quitting WvW because of the terrible changes to WvW in HoT.

Not only HoT, it is what Anet have been doing overall, even before HoT.
Was easy to see that this game would turn to be a stale a dumb(by being to easy) game with every update.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

I read both forums of FF14 and this one. And in both there is a huge negativity going on.
FF14: “How many friends have unsubbed”, “Patch 3.xx sucks”, “Too much grind”, “My FC (”guild") quited" etc..

Here it is: “HoT sucks”, “I hate PvP”, “Patch xxx sucks”.

I quitted FF14 because of their terrible nerf-politics of “Grind your %$@ off for months just to get it devalued in the next patch” and I really like GW2. It could be the first franchise I imagine to stay and support financially. All the pessimism makes me sad, on the other hand when I flip close my Surface (my tablet^^) I forget all of this and just play the game in the afternoon after work without being influenced.

I’d like to have this franchise and game grow strong and I also buy cash shop stuff because I don’t work for free either and I am used to FF14s subscription fee, so I think it’s the least to give money back to people who grant me nice gaming experience. But many people think too much into the future, as if this game is about their retirement fund. Just wait and play – or don’t. But don’t spread and repeat the stuff all over.

There are flaws but they are like little red dots on a white wall. While in FF14, the red dots are so big and close to each other that they interconnect and add together to a big red blob. I’d like to see PvP, but from what I see I would not like it right now (mostly because of the matchmaking, not because of the balancing). That does not stop me from enjoying PvE.

The game IS great. It IS fun. Just take a break or play something else; you will realize how good the game is when you look behind the facades of other games.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: TruthSeeker.9026

TruthSeeker.9026

hi,
im kind of a newbie. anyone know the proper forum for an aesthetic suggestion?

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Well I’ve said it before, but I think Anet is full of amazingly creative and talented people that seem to lack common sense. There are so many things that almost seemed designed to annoy you. Forcing people into frustrating and fiddly adventures to complete collections, the constant obsession with jumping puzzles, the 10k drinks thing…the gated matts. Sometimes it feels if everything is designed grind and forcing the player down a certain route. They certainly seem to have obliterated their original manifesto that’s for sure.

Also, annoying is not challenging. Everywhere you go in HOT, you suffer from mobs everywhere with CC . Knockbacks and pulls. They can punt you off the cliff edges, fear you into scenary where u get stuck, but you cannot do the same to them. It’s like vanilla Orr. It just annoys people. There is hardly a moment where u can take stock and look around and enjoy the environments or take a breath. This isn’t challenge, it’s just irritating.

Even when HOT was launched and they had that RIDICULOUS hp requirements for the Elites. The obsession with PVP yet no real new content other than Stronghold. I mean TWO modes and the same maps since launch?? REALLY?

However, at the end of the day, I got my moneys worth. If the game shut down tomorrow, I have a ton of PS4 games to play. Overall, I did enjoy HOT, but there were so many times “I thought to myself when playing, why did they do this?”

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The bottom line is the expansion did not hold the attention of the masses for long nor did it reinvent the wheel. Honestly, I don’t know what people were expecting given the time frame and lack of class testing. I’m not even going to get into that PvP and WvW nightmare.

The sooner Living World returns, the better. Chasing the next carrot achievements is what this game is all about.

Let’s not kid ourselves.

Because honestly the expansion was bad in a number of ways – the worst however is that in a primarily cosmetically driven game this expansion gave us incredibly few armor skins to work towards.

It’s as simple as that – cosmetics driven game – no cosmetic choices as rewards – nobody bothering with it that much.

Not to mention that we only got 3 new legendary weapons – the high-end be all-end all skins.
3 skins means that people who don’t like any of the current ones they released with HoT have nothing to do – nothing to work for. They need to improve rewards, specially in WvW.

I’m personally not working on HoT stuff because there are no HoT skins I particularly like – so then why bother?

Yeah this is true. There is just not enough interesting items in HoT that drops and can be crafted. The new legendaries only represent a few classes. It’s not interesting to keep playing when you get nothing in return and no chance for a new precursor either.

With everything account bound it like they made this use time-gate just for a few items.

They stated that raids were specifically meant to be end-game content. Can you clarify what you mean?

They have stated several times that SAB will come back. They likely will not release a date until a week or two before it is released. My guess now is around April 1st.

I think next week’s update will have some balance changes. I’m not sure what those are and if they’d address what you have issues with.

Well Anet can say something, it doesn’t makes it true.

A single raid isn’t end game content, it’s just an instance with 3 bosses you repeat a million time for a skin nobody has seen and probably hasn’t been implemented. End game content should be something expansive (like Diablo 3 randomly generated dungeons) you want to play when you finished the main story. Barely anyone wants to play the raid because the new bosses are just annoying.

SAB: if you believe them. I don’t. The WvW Orb was promised to come back as well and it never did.

Balance: Coalescence of Ruin has been doing 17k hits in WvW for the last months and they haven’t even acknowledged it. They told us they wanted to create new meta, not build variety, and that is the complete opposite of what they were doing 3 years ago…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This such total BS. There are a number of negative posts from people that are simply trolling. Really, complaining isn’t as honorable as you would like people to believe.

So you think that a lot of people that complain actually enjoy the game as it is and only complain to troll? Now THAT is total BS. Trust me, when I stop complaining it’s either because there are no serious problems in the game, or I have completely given up and gone elsewhere.

Actually there are people who post negatively and have admitted to me that they just enjoy riling up the white knights, including me. They even used the term Vayne-baiting for a while on the forum.

If you don’t believe that people post stuff just to rile other people up, you must be new to the internet.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Of course there are, you don’t need a new name for it, they are trolls. But to characterise the large numbers of complaints and negative feedback as trolling is just wrong.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Wonder if white knight’ing is just as bad as trolling… or in a way, is trolling.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I think you’ll find that many people considered a “white knight” do have issues with the game and will mention those issues if they come up. They just don’t blither on about them ad nauseam. They’re really more like “grey knights” (which sounds much cooler).

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think you’ll find that many people considered a “white knight” do have issues with the game and will mention those issues if they come up. They just don’t blither on about them ad nauseam. They’re really more like “grey knights” (which sounds much cooler).

Oooooo grey knights. I like it!

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I’ve been playing Guild Wars since Cantha (Elona was my favorite). For most of the three years that GW2 has been out, it is the only game I’ve played. HOT has changed my entire opinion about gaming. I absolutely refuse to pre-purchase any game, and will most likely not buy anymore expansions for GW2. I can’t play the HOT maps without getting frustrated.
I was so disappointed in those 3 maps ( never reached last one) that I will most likely not purchase any video games for 2016. (I see an electric smoker and a deck in my future instead.
I am of the opinion thzt hey just need to give up on GW2 and start on GW3 with a clean slate. Should be ready by the time everyone realizes what a farce Gore was.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Oooooo grey knights. I like it!

Same. I’m glad I just bought another couple of character slots so I can use it somehow lol

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

They’re really more like “grey knights” (which sounds much cooler).

Games Workshop’s legal department will be all over this. :P

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Harper.4173

I’m going to address your post because I think something is wrong.
The hardcore burning out fastest – that’s where you’re wrong.

I’m hardcore – my time played vs number of days since GW2’s release means I’ve played an average of 3 hours ( actually a bit over) of GW2 ever since it was released – every day.
Moreover that hasn’t been very condensed – eg 9-10 hours on some days and no time on other days – because I doubt I’ve had more than 5 days in which I didn’t log into GW2 in 2015.

And before you assume I do nothing else but game – you’re wrong – I also finished university this year and have other things I do as well.

That’s what hardcore means – it means being invested in something and sticking with it.

apologies for any confusion (unclear wording on my part). when i use the term ‘hardcore’ i’m not specifically referring to the amount of time played (although this can overlap with ‘hardcore’).

i’m referring to the section of the playerbase that likes ‘hardcore’ (one could also call this ‘extreme’ ) content. they like tough trash mobs and unpleasant maps and most will at least reference raiding. this is what distinguishes the ‘hardcore’ from the filthy casual (95% of gw2’s players).

by catering to this mountain dew guzzling segment- anet has made a game that is dull and irritating for the majority of players. and the ‘hardcore’ set will move onto the next game with raids and ‘extreme’ pve (:D)…meanwhile the casuals (those that play the game for years) are left with this ‘hardcore’ silliness.

I get what you’re saying but here’s the catch – the people who are hardcore in the sense that they like super hard extreme content are also people who get heavily invested in a game – people like me.
I turned out wanting harder and harder content because I spent a lot of time in GW2 and mastered it.

People that want super hard content are usually people who have already sunk a HUGE amount of time into a game and have become very good at it – thus the need for harder content.

People who play super hard stuff in GW2 are usually people that play the game a lot religiously – they play the hard stuff because they got really good at the game and they got really good because they’re treating it with a lot of importance – theorycrafting, practicing – treating it more like a job.

And trust me – it’s very hard to quit a game after you’ve sunk let’s say 3000 hours into it.
It’s much easier to lose a casual player that only plays off and on for a few hours a week and has a total of maybe a few hundred or less hours than to lose a player that logs in religiously and has thousands of hours spent in-game.

You don’t really know a lot about “hardcore”/ “extremely high skilled players” but one thing I know and I’ve seen it with myself and others is that they don’t really migrate games.
They get good at a game or a category of games and stick with it – precisely because their investment to get to where they are are is so high (thousands of hours) the process of having to redo all that in a different game isn’t very appealing.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

This isn’t just here – it’s happening elsewhere, as well.

I don’t know whether the problem is coming from the top, in games lately?

Or whether (probably more likely) it is the new crop of games devs, who are determined to take games in a very specific type of direction (mainly backwards!) and forget the majority of the players’ wants/needs?

But, yes, it seems to be an industry trend.

It’s a mistake, but there you go.

The last few weeks have been far worse due to the horrendous balance issues with the game in sPvP and how that filters through to PvE. Warriors and Thieves have been kicked down the crapper, metacrap has been all the rage and not even having a pro-team QUIT ON STREAM is enough to get Anet to push out more MEANINGFUL BALANCE CHANGES.

I’m happy to see all the negativity, because it’s reflective of my own feelings on the PvP situation.

They were both very OP, in WvW.

Thieves weren’t considered to be good, in zergs, but they were the kings of ganking.

I don’t do sPVP, so I can’t comment on that, but I’m assuming they were probably OP there, too?

It’s possible they have been over-adjusted the other way, or that they just got used to being Gods.

That often happened in WoW.

Something very OP got nerfed slightly and its players, who were generally the type of players who only ever played OP classes, weren’t used to ever losing.

So, if they started losing, they extrapolated from that, that they must have been over-nerfed.

Even though, in many cases, they were still stronger than some other classes had ever been…

Not saying that is the case here, but it is something that happens.

Either way, both classes were extremely OP, previously, so it’s kind of hard to be too upset for them, now.

Especially as they were, almost certainly, totally scaring off newer players.

Especially newer players who were playing less strong classes.

When I first started playing, on Ranger, thieves were one (or, at most, two) shotting me from stealth and trying to fight warriors was a total non-starter.

If I knew a thief was lurking around (as they ALWAYS were, then, as they were so OP), I just didn’t try to go anywhere, anymore.

That, pretty obviously, isn’t good for the game.

Of course, things should be made fair, if they really aren’t ATM, but still.

I’m all for meaningful balance changes, but those take time and just making those two classes stronger again, would obviously just return us to the previous (totally undesirable) situation.

I’m confused. I thought players WANTED game devs to go back to the days when games were “good” and how they were “so much better back in the day”. So isn’t going back a good thing, or are people taking off their glasses?

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

I get what you’re saying but here’s the catch – the people who are hardcore in the sense that they like super hard extreme content are also people who get heavily invested in a game – people like me.
I turned out wanting harder and harder content because I spent a lot of time in GW2 and mastered it.

People that want super hard content are usually people who have already sunk a HUGE amount of time into a game and have become very good at it – thus the need for harder content.

People who play super hard stuff in GW2 are usually people that play the game a lot religiously – they play the hard stuff because they got really good at the game and they got really good because they’re treating it with a lot of importance – theorycrafting, practicing – treating it more like a job.

And trust me – it’s very hard to quit a game after you’ve sunk let’s say 3000 hours into it.
It’s much easier to lose a casual player that only plays off and on for a few hours a week and has a total of maybe a few hundred or less hours than to lose a player that logs in religiously and has thousands of hours spent in-game.

You don’t really know a lot about “hardcore”/ “extremely high skilled players” but one thing I know and I’ve seen it with myself and others is that they don’t really migrate games.
They get good at a game or a category of games and stick with it – precisely because their investment to get to where they are are is so high (thousands of hours) the process of having to redo all that in a different game isn’t very appealing.

i think this is a fair point but i believe that catering solely to this segment is a mistake. the vast majority of the playerbase isn’t going to ‘get gud’ because then the game becomes something like learning a skill ….except this skill isn’t useful in any context outside of playing more gw2-but it isn’t even useful or necessary in this context either.

put simply…anet didn’t provide any carrots-it’s all stick. if there were rewards (armor skins/emotes/tattoos etc) for doing this unpleasant activity then more might do it. but , as is, you gain masteries to continue doing unpleasant maps with no reward other than increased frustration and boredom.

everything in game boils down to gold and that can be aquired in many ways that do not involve ever setting foot on a hot map. i used to be sad about not having gold post hot but then i realized that there is nothing to buy anyways.

most vets i imagine go thru a similar process-they have all the skins they want and if you dont like bladed and leyline armor(and even if you do just get those two and quit hot) then what is the point of hot? so without skins and with nothing in the way of other rewards there just isn’t any reason to log in and play hot.

anet cannot create ‘sticky’ content. without a functioning crafting system(gw2 crafting essentially starts at 500)/no player housing/no fun time killing activities like fishing/without rewards…we are left fighting tough trash mobs for blues and greens. and the entire time we have this question-why would i do this?

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Alot of people, including myself, have already left. GW2 really is a history repeating itself of WAR.

Really, the only reason people check things now, is to see if ANet has made any significant changes, if not, lead bad feedback, and go back to what we were playing.

There isn’t much here anymore, other than a crappy F2P game, where progress happens rarely.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

The major issue I have seen since the game launched is the persistent negativity a small portion of the players show. Some argue that fighting this mob or completing that event to progress is “grind”. I played games like Everquest years ago and I know what real grinding is. Sitting in Dulock dual boxing with guildies to get XP and gold for hours so I could get that next level so I could begin my epic. The closest thing GW2 has to this is working on a legendary, but that is even easier than EQ.

I am a very casual player, usually playing 2-3 hours a day if not less. I still love the game and I am looking forward to what comes next.

I also played EQ but the nature of that game is/was entirely different from GW1/2. With EQ you pretty much knew what you were getting by level 5 or so. And when an expansion came out you pretty much knew that the entire content would be heavily gated initially.

What the GW2 devs did was stick an EQ expansion onto a very casual friendly game; peeps are going to happy trot thru 80 levels of GW2 only to meet ‘grindy’ EQ pve gameplay. As is, many casual people feel robbed into paying for an expansion they don’t or can’t enjoy.

Personally I was quite happy that GW2 didn’t have an ‘end game’ as such, I was quite happy dipping into this and that for a few months, moving on when I felt things were getting boring or tiresome. GW2 had plenty of this VARIETY – and I might say one of the few mmos that did. Now I feel that variety has gone; subjectively I feel I have to play HoT pve content to progress and I find that content annoying. Prior to HoT I wasn’t all that interested in ‘progress’, just enjoyment with a certain knowledge that in the background ‘progress’ was occurring – however slowly.

At the end of the day, IF you do find HoT content and changes annoying – for whatever reason(s) – you’re not going to invest time in those areas you once found enjoyable because you NOW know the endpoint is not going to be enjoyable. So what’s the point?

HoT really is ‘an end of game’ for some.

(edited by lilypop.7819)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Because honestly the expansion was bad in a number of ways – the worst however is that in a primarily cosmetically driven game this expansion gave us incredibly few armor skins to work towards.

It’s as simple as that – cosmetics driven game – no cosmetic choices as rewards – nobody bothering with it that much.

Not to mention that we only got 3 new legendary weapons – the high-end be all-end all skins.
3 skins means that people who don’t like any of the current ones they released with HoT have nothing to do – nothing to work for.

I’m personally not working on HoT stuff because there are no HoT skins I particularly like – so then why bother?

^ So much this.

Especially since we didn’t had new armor sets in the gemstore since over 1.5 years
and then we had the blog from Lindsey Murdock (?) were it was written that we
get no more armor sets in the gemstore but instead ingame .. so i expected HoT
to deliver nearly as much new skins than the base game ..

And what did we get ? Nothing .. or yeah 3 ugly sets i think.

I really would be happy if we simply get back armor sets in the gemstore, then i had
at least something i could work for … but so there is simply no reason to play for
me anymore.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

Alot of people, including myself, have already left. GW2 really is a history repeating itself of WAR.

Really, the only reason people check things now, is to see if ANet has made any significant changes, if not, lead bad feedback, and go back to what we were playing.

There isn’t much here anymore, other than a crappy F2P game, where progress happens rarely.

Most of your posts are just bashing on this game anyways it seems.

Yet 2 years ago you were all like…
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Thank-you-18/first#post2097170

Your reply to this forum and this one here…
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/And-As-I-read

… contradicts what you say here.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Learn-from-WoW/page/2

Oh and you compare GW2 to Hearthstone and call Hearthstone and flat out better game… lmao!
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-Typical-Evening-in-GW2

You say the only reason why you play is because of dailies with your guildies. Seriously, if you hate the game so much then there probably isn’t a point to playing so don’t waste your time anymore and go play Hearthstone.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I did not buy HoT because of the jp and hardcore content. I like play a relaxed game. Not really easy, but with a smooth difficulty curve. HoT is just a mountain too steep for me. Yet I did not quit playing. Still play the core game and even started something new there: the storyline (never bothered before).

As for the future of this game: Anet needs to rethink the whole concept. Maybe like Blizzard did with D3 before their expansion. The current choice of the devellopment team seems to be: go for world laegues and arcade like content. That attracts a different public than traditional MMORPG’s. But cheaper to create than huge world environments. So maybe its not such a problem for Anet if players leave, as long as there is a group of hardcore players staying around and buying stuff.

No, I dont think there will be GW3, or a next expansion.

Harper.4173

i think this is a fair point but i believe that catering solely to this segment is a mistake. the vast majority of the playerbase isn’t going to ‘get gud’ because then the game becomes something like learning a skill ….except this skill isn’t useful in any context outside of playing more gw2-but it isn’t even useful or necessary in this context either.

put simply…anet didn’t provide any carrots-it’s all stick. if there were rewards (armor skins/emotes/tattoos etc) for doing this unpleasant activity then more might do it. but , as is, you gain masteries to continue doing unpleasant maps with no reward other than increased frustration and boredom.

everything in game boils down to gold and that can be aquired in many ways that do not involve ever setting foot on a hot map. i used to be sad about not having gold post hot but then i realized that there is nothing to buy anyways.

most vets i imagine go thru a similar process-they have all the skins they want and if you dont like bladed and leyline armor(and even if you do just get those two and quit hot) then what is the point of hot? so without skins and with nothing in the way of other rewards there just isn’t any reason to log in and play hot.

anet cannot create ‘sticky’ content. without a functioning crafting system(gw2 crafting essentially starts at 500)/no player housing/no fun time killing activities like fishing/without rewards…we are left fighting tough trash mobs for blues and greens. and the entire time we have this question-why would i do this?

The game is however not catering solely to this segment – in fact it just recently started to give this segment some content with HoT – before that this segment was roughly ignored – with most content being created with an “all-inclusive, everyone can do it” mindset in place.

Most players won’t get good – you’re right – but some will and some might.
Raids aren’t about making people get good – they’re something to do for those of us that are good – and for those that will be good in the future.

GW2 lost a lot of players because it had great leveling, great open world and some decent instanced content (at first) but once you really got to know the game there was no end-game – there was nothing to work towards to improve yourself and nothing to do if you got more skill.

You got skill and there was nowhere to use it. Obviously players want to be and feel rewarded for their skill and effort – so a lot of very high-skilled dedicated players felt their way of play wasn’t rewarded – with rewards or with content.

At least with Raids some of it is being addressed – we’re getting both content and rewards that are obtained through high-skill.

And yes – I agree skill in GW2 is only useful in the context of playing more GW2 – but guess what – that’s what the developers want you to do – play more, stay with the game more and potentially spend more in the gem store.

I will agree with something though – HoT provided a lot of content but not a lot of rewards. I posted this before – it came with very few armor sets which are most likely the primary motivator for people in this game.

Raids have bad rewards – the only real – truly inspiring “carrot” being the legendary armor – which will be entirely hit or miss. If it looks great and it’s awesome Raids might see a huge boost in popularity as more people attempt to do it.
If it isn’t – then Raids will most likely flop for the majority of the player base.

Anet knows this and has wisely chosen to not reveal the armor – not even the precursor armor – but that’s simply delaying things. If the precursor set looks bad then I’m pretty sure a lot of people will give up on Raiding.

Like you said – I gave up on open world HoT because there’s nothing there for me – no cool skins. Leyline armor is bad – bladed armor is bad. Why play it?
Only part of HoT I still currently do is the Raid. That and some meta here and there to finally cap out mastery points.

The saddest thing is they spent a lot of time making stuff for the gem store that they could have spent making in-game motivators ( like armor skins) for people to keep playing HoT.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

3 skins means that people who don’t like any of the current ones they released with HoT have nothing to do – nothing to work for.

^ So much this.

Especially since we didn’t had new armor sets in the gemstore since over 1.5 years

I really would be happy if we simply get back armor sets in the gemstore, then i had
at least something i could work for … but so there is simply no reason to play for
me anymore.

But why did you think you would get dozens if not a hundred different armor skins in an expansion? A number of skins in the base game are level aligned while HoT is purely level 80. There were unique ones in each region, each race. That assumption about HoT was a bit unrealistic. We got one region, no new playable races, we’re only level 80. Also if armor skins are meant to be content completion rewards, what, we should get a set from every MP, HP, story chapter completion, achievement, etc? Should we have gotten more than three outside of raids, sure but as many as the core game? No way.

You are also ignoring that HoT was the beginning. LW 3 starts here. There is plenty of room to add additional skins going forward.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Harper.4173

^ So much this.

me anymore.

Yep – I never expected as many sets as we had with core GW2 but at least 10?
I honestly expected 10 looks for each armor class with HoT – instead we got 3 is it?
That’s too little – and they could have done it too if they had wanted to.
And it’s not that the 3 sets they did release are that bad – honestly they seem like a lot of work went into them – but they are too few – if you don’t like any of them you’re done.

With more sets ( say 10) you’d have more chances for players to find at least 1 they like – but with just 3 it’s very hit or miss. And mostly miss.

At this point I’d accept new armor sets even if they came in the gem store – but honestly I don’t know what they’re doing with development time. It sure isn’t armor.

When the game launched I hoped to see more versions of cultural armor – perhaps a new cultural mastery track could be added – new armors as rewards – ah dreams.

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

The one counterfactual to anyone suggesting that there are only a few negative posters ignores the reality that many of these post and posters don’t live long on the forums. This is an official game site and like every other they are very strictly managed and you can be sure that positive post are never deleted so there is an inherent bias to those.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The one counterfactual to anyone suggesting that there are only a few negative posters ignores the reality that many of these post and posters don’t live long on the forums. This is an official game site and like every other they are very strictly managed and you can be sure that positive post are never deleted so there is an inherent bias to those.

If that was the case then the forums would be fairly free for negative topics, since this isn’t the case your presumption that there is a vast majority of posters who’ve had their threads and comments crushed is incorrect.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Beldin.5498

^ So much this.

me anymore.

But why did you think you would get dozens if not a hundred different armor skins in an expansion? A number of skins in the base game are level aligned while HoT is purely level 80. There were unique ones in each region, each race. That assumption about HoT was a bit unrealistic. We got one region, no new playable races, we’re only level 80. Also if armor skins are meant to be content completion rewards, what, we should get a set from every MP, HP, story chapter completion, achievement, etc? Should we have gotten more than three outside of raids, sure but as many as the core game? No way.

You are also ignoring that HoT was the beginning. LW 3 starts here. There is plenty of room to add additional skins going forward.

1. Expansions in other MMOs always brought a lot of new armor sets.
2. HoT was a FULL PRICED expansion
3. Lindsey Murdock wrote in a blog that we don’t get any new armor sets in the
gemstore and instead we can earn them in game. And after absolut no new armor sets since we got the wardrobe, i thought .. ok .. they hold it all back for the expansion.
4. GW2 was a skin-based game .. not gear based.

However .. it seems they now have made it a gear based game, even if we don’t
get higher levels, but instead we get new ascended gear with different stat
combinations .. and that in the end makes it even more boring than gearing
up for higher levels in other MMOs, where the new armor at least looks
different than the old.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Izar.2471

Izar.2471

Absolutely no new armor sets since the wardrobe? Really? I’m pretty sure the carapace/luminescent set was released after the wardrobe. But, maybe my memory is faulty.

Beldin.5498

Absolutely no new armor sets since the wardrobe? Really? I’m pretty sure the carapace/luminescent set was released after the wardrobe. But, maybe my memory is faulty.

Oh sorry … yeah i forgot to mention that one … so we got masses of armor sets
in the initial game .. then we got 20 or whatever sets in the first 1.5 years in the
gemstore, and for the next 1.5 years we got CARAPACE !!!! Thats so great .. its amazing
and well worth the fact that we don’t get new sets in the gemstore.

Oh .. and before the next comes .. yes i know there was also some kind of PvP armor
or something like that. But i don’t play PvP.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

the game was ruined, but anet isnt going to do anything because the people who casually casually casually play the game is happy dressing their characters and buying more gems for stupid skins

as long they still buy gems they wont do s…hit

this was an awesome game , but as a long mmo player , every game has to / will die

its time to move on

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

the game was ruined, but anet isnt going to do anything because the people who casually casually casually play the game is happy dressing their characters and buying more gems for stupid skins

as long they still buy gems they wont do kitten

this was an awesome game , but as a long mmo player , every game has to / will die

its time to move on

Ruined for who? not for me… I enjoy it now more than ever, it’s just a personal opinion tho… hence the thread tittle, what’s ruined for me is mostly the forums.

Edit: Funny we fall into the same discussions over and over … same stuff is being repeated 24/7 both defending and attacking side, threads all look the same, … this was about forums, end up with game rants. … someone will answer this comment for sure… with something like “if game was better people won’t be ranting” … kinda getting old

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

(edited by kuritsutian.2987)

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

The guy who got me into the GW2 a few years ago, has not played in over a year. He asked me about HoT on Sunday and I showed him some of the features – he’s been reading the forums, and was concerned. I gave him my opinions on the expansion, especially the Elites. But I didn’t gloss over some of the major issues I have with it (Masteries tied to XP, being a prominent one). He hasn’t made a final decision yet, which is a typical response, as far as I have seen.

But it was definitely the forums that gave him pause. In fact, it was the “white knight” responses that made him even more concerned. In his words “It seems they are making excuses, much like a victim of spousal abuse: in denial of the major problems”. <—- please, he was not equating spousal abuse with something as trivial as a game, and neither am I.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What one person sees as a problem may not be a problem to another. Everything is subjective.

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

as long they still buy gems they wont do kitten

its time to move on

Ruined for who? not for me… I enjoy it now more than ever, it’s just a personal opinion tho… hence the thread tittle, what’s ruined for me is mostly the forums.

Edit: Funny we fall into the same discussions over and over … same stuff is being repeated 24/7 both defending and attacking side, threads all look the same, … this was about forums, end up with game rants. … someone will answer this comment for sure… with something like “if game was better people won’t be ranting” … kinda getting old

The forums are ruined for you? Exactly what part of any thread is required to participate in the forums? There are plenty of generally positive threads to post in and share your enjoyment of the game, as well as, sharing tips and information.

Sorry, but for some of use who spent a lot of money on the expansion, there was a certain expectation of value for money spent. I’ve been playing since about a month after the beta ended, after a year WvW became my primary activity. It’s has been ignored by Anet and has gradually declined in population and fun over the last couple years. EtoM was released as a “WvW” map, but if was a complete failure for the majority of the WvW community. We just got a new map and it suffers many of the exact same types of problems that were inherent in the EtoM map. That made me, and many many WvWers very unhappy about things in general. But, that map came free so not part of HoT really.

I bought HoT so of course I had to get specializations built up for all of my toons and why not check out HoT…. Gliding is awesome. But I have now leveled out specializations on ALL the professions, I have completed all the meta events, I generally try to get at least 3 full Dragon Stand metas (from time zero to killing Mordi) done per week and what do I have to show for it. Well, I have 4 map currencies…. After all that, I think I got one exotic drop (Truth irrc), I got new crafting mats, I got eggs, etc… I look at the “vendors” and there isn’t really much of anything I really want. I guess vipers stuff would be cool… so I spent the last 2 months grinding out my specializations, got my map currencies and NOW I can buy……… recipes…..

Prior to HoT I had been fairly content with exotic armors and weapons with Ascended trinkets in WvW, but I’ve been saving stuff to craft ascended weapons and armors (I really wish I had run a lot more fractals pre-HoT) but now thanks to the expansion, ascended gear got hugely more expensive and as I alluded, ascended fractal drops are nothing compared with pre-HoT drops.

Let’s see, my guild had a bunch of WvW upgrades. Those were all removed, no compensation from Anet on that hard earned stuff. Now my guild and I have to buy back all of it, at quite a lot of gold to boot.

Scribes…. oh scribes. Let’s just forget the insanely massive gold sink that scribing is, but do you realize if your guild scribe decides to stop playing the game… that’s it. Your guild has to start over. Even though everyone in the guild contributed to leveling that person, because no single normal player can possibly afford to do it. That is a design feature.

I could go on… but let’s just say for argument here, that some of us aren’t all that happy, for very specific and reasonable reasons. I understand that HoT has some really great stuff, but also brought some really ugly along with it. How you feel about the game and the expansion really depends on how much of your experience depended or depends on the ugly….. and it needs to be said, repeatedly.