GW2 got the Best patch updater

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

GW2 got the Best patch updater in the world

lets just take a moment to appriciated the Awesome patcher that gw2 has.
not only can it run the game without the entire download.
it also let you keep playing while new patches are being applied.

since no newer mmo is doing this we can only assume that the architecture behind the client to allow this must be pretty kitten Hard to make (as this feature Creates a Lot of positive feelings everytime i see a patch pop rdy)

Extremely well done to the GW2 devs!!

Nyx.6532

Now back to enjoying the new Story (really love how there is so much more voice acting and more personallity in the characters in season 3. very nice move, and diffinately happily spend gems).

edit: must say the “oath” in the new episode is a bit off, sounds like they are overacting on purpose ? :P
hehe, else its been good till now

(edited by Nyx.6532)

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I hate to bring facts and objectivity into your GW2 lovefest, but older games already had patchers like this, Rift for example.

Nyx.6532

I hate to bring facts and objectivity into your GW2 lovefest, but older games already had patchers like this, Rift for example.

from what i remember rifts simply let you start before all was loaded, but it forced logged you if updates was applied.

also it still doesn’t change the statements made in the op ^^

Posted by: Abraxxus.8971

Abraxxus.8971

Sadly, the updater crashes constantly for me when updating. It’s quite frustrating.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I just can fully agree to this. Or to the whole server performance and patch shedules.
In the over 2 years I am here now I have never been interfered with any sort of patching or updating issues. In total, I disconnected 3 times, of which 2 were by a very overloaded node in Scandinavia that had a packet loss of almost 100%.

Coming from FF14, which constantly had 900000 errors, patches that were slow and unnecessarily huge (1.5 GByte, I wonder how much was actually new data and not just huge file archives).

Since DooM I appreciate games that put all things in one file (back than it’s the DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD). GW2.dat is huge and when I bought my new computer, there were like 230,000 files to download and written into that big file. (However, fragmentation is of course insane with this).

But in the end, GW2 is the only game ever that is really open 24/7 to me. No 2-days downtimes like in FF14, no emergency patches and roll back like in every NEXON or gPotatoe game.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Mine is still just saying connection failed… retrying… endessly…