GW2 is not a Grinder.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Time Glitch.2460

Time Glitch.2460

To preface, I hit level 80 like a week ago. I play casually. I just got a set of rares. I have 11 Gold, only because I got lucky and found a White dye. Before that, I had 5 gold.

Anywho.

I see a lot of talk here about GW2 being super-grindy and “IT’S ROOOOEND!”. Frankly, that’s bullkittens. I used to play this game back in the day called Silk Road Online. It was literally the definition of a korean grinder MMO. Horrible translations, kittenty character classes, the works. The game essentially worked like this, in this order, from level 1:

- Grab quest.
- Quest is to kill X number of X.
- Kill X number of X.
- Turn in quest.
- Grab next quest.
- Quest is to kill X number of X.

So on and so forth. But wait! You ran out of quests you could complete at your level because the game was so badly designed. So what did you do to get up to the next quest level? Grind like a motherkittener. I spent hours, grinding just ONE level, and that was only at level 20 or so. All my friends and I would just sit there, at the temple thing, killing lions for H.O.U.R.S.

And it didn’t stop there.

We spent days, literally every day after school until night, just endlessly killing the same monsters in the same area, over and over and over. Then we’d move on to another area, and do the same exact thing.

THAT is a grinder MMO. Guild Wars 2, no matter how you look at it or how you play it, is not designed like that. You can MAKE it a grind, sure. You can sit there in Orr and just repeat the same events over and over, or killing wave after wave of risen for a chance to get an exotic or whatever. You can run the same dungeon path over and over and over and over until your head explodes.

But you don’t HAVE to. You can spread out those dungeon runs. You can diversify the things you do.

Bottom line: The game does not FORCE you to kill the same mobs over and over and over to progress.

Thanks, and I hope maybe this gives some of you a reality check.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: ATTHWSM.7840

ATTHWSM.7840

I bought this game on January 2nd.
I hit 80 on January 11th.
I have full exotics.
Im FotM 15.
I have roughly 42 gold since I bought a lot of dyes.
I am full time employed.
I====l

I NEVER ONCE had to grind a zone, ever, not once. I literally just ran every zone, did every quest, ran all the dungeons.

OP: wtf are you talking about?

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Bottom line: The game does not FORCE you to kill the same mobs over and over and over to progress.

Thanks, and I hope maybe this gives some of you a reality check.

The grind I’m experiencing has nothing to do with legendaries, dungeons, fractals, or killing millions of risen. But hey, thanks for trying.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Forsaken.6720

Forsaken.6720

agreed ive played alot of games where u had to kill x amount per quest lol gawd the time it spent to lvl to 10 sometimes lmao….like i put in previous posts ppl just need friends and stop being such a solo grinder and do things…there is a lot of things to do in this game

edit: the OP is giving an example on how this game is not grind compared to a grinding mmo

Heavenly Mez – mesmer

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Yeah people just dont get it I mean you here all thess people refering back to games like everquest…. i played everquest (so much) it wasnt that grate theres a resone why it got names like neverquest or evercamp.

You would spend so much time just grinding out the same mobs just to reach the next level. (Oh and in eq if you died you would lose alot of exp so much so you might de level.)

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i agree with what you say…
i started my mmo career with ragnarock on line and the only thing to do was grinding mobs in an area based on level or party and kill things for the sake of raising levels with no other purpose than that…
there was not even a quest grabbing thing to have some extra exp.

so gw1 and gw2 will never be the grindfest in my eyes

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: ATTHWSM.7840

ATTHWSM.7840

Yeah people just dont get it I mean you here all thess people refering back to games like everquest…. i played everquest (so much) it wasnt that grate theres a resone why it got names like neverquest or evercamp.

You would spend so much time just grinding out the same mobs just to reach the next level. (Oh and in eq if you died you would lose alot of exp so much so you might de level.)

Dude what? EQ1 IS STILL running after 10 years, are you kidding me? They obviously did it right.

EQ2 is still running as well, and it came out during the WoW durp era.

I played EQ2 for 7 years, raided 20 hours a week, and loved every second of it. Dont bring up what you dont understand lol.

OMGOSH an MMO thats difficult and only rewards the best players for actually understanding the game? PFFB that MMO sucks….

GW2 is not a Grinder.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Dude what? EQ1 IS STILL running after 10 years, are you kidding me? They obviously did it right.

EQ2 is still running as well, and it came out during the WoW durp era.

I played EQ2 for 7 years, raided 20 hours a week, and loved every second of it. Dont bring up what you dont understand lol.

OMGOSH an MMO thats difficult and only rewards the best players for actually understanding the game? PFFB that MMO sucks….

See this is what im talking about!

I never said it was a bad game (not for its time. Every mmo sins is based on its foundation). But to say it wasnt grindy and a mess in some case’s you would be lieing to yourself

And yes it still has a big cult fallowing.

And yeah i never liked EQ2 2 starter citys and super liener world kinda killed it for me when it came out

GW2 is not a Grinder.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Nostalgia has this bad habit of only letting us remember the things we realy enjoyed, and overlooking or forgetting the negative . Makeing it harder to judge and be subjective on new things that are kind like it.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

Guild Wars 2 is only grindy for the people who feel entitled to a Legendary weapon. They were designed to take years to make, at least a solid year of play time to gather up all the materials and requirements to craft them. But nowadays all you have to do is spend a few hundred at an illegal gold selling website to buy them straight off the TP. So Legendary.

Now we have all these babies crying because they didn’t get their precursors in 1-2 months of playtime, wow. That’s basically the only reason why Guild Wars 2 is “SUCH A GRINDFEST AMAGAWD I’M GETTING A REFUND ARENANET YOU SUCK!

I mean, getting exotic armor and weapons from dungeons isn’t a grind. You need 1200 per armor set? Wow, I bet that will take YEARS to achieve, huh? lol. So there’s barely a gear grind, what could be making all these babies cry so kitten hard?

Brace for it.

Cosmetic progression.

You heard right. COSMETIC progression. Boo hoo I didn’t get an unbreakable choir bell! Booooo hooo I didn’t get a everlasting/endless tonic! Booooo hoooo I didn’t get a minipet! OH MY GOD THIS TITLE IS SOOOOOO HARD . No worries though, the babies who were crying about exotic gear being too easy are now getting Ascended gear to suck up before they’re covered head to toe in Ascended gear, in which they will continue to complain for a harder, brand new tier in the treadmill.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Celtic Lady.3729

Guild Wars 2 is only grindy for the people who feel entitled to a Legendary weapon. Now we have all these babies. I mean, getting exotic armor and weapons from dungeons isn’t a grind.

Again, my experience with grind (and many other players’) has nothing to do with legendaries, exotic gear, ascended gear, or dungeons.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

I bought this game on January 2nd.
I hit 80 on January 11th.
I have full exotics.
Im FotM 15.
I have roughly 42 gold since I bought a lot of dyes.
I am full time employed.
I====l

I NEVER ONCE had to grind a zone, ever, not once. I literally just ran every zone, did every quest, ran all the dungeons.

OP: wtf are you talking about?

He’s pretty much saying the same thing you are, or did you not read it?

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Guild Wars 2 is only grindy for the people who feel entitled to a Legendary weapon. They were designed to take years to make, at least a solid year of play time to gather up all the materials and requirements to craft them. But nowadays all you have to do is spend a few hundred at an illegal gold selling website to buy them straight off the TP. So Legendary.

Now we have all these babies crying because they didn’t get their precursors in 1-2 months of playtime, wow. That’s basically the only reason why Guild Wars 2 is “SUCH A GRINDFEST AMAGAWD I’M GETTING A REFUND ARENANET YOU SUCK!

I mean, getting exotic armor and weapons from dungeons isn’t a grind. You need 1200 per armor set? Wow, I bet that will take YEARS to achieve, huh? lol. So there’s barely a gear grind, what could be making all these babies cry so kitten hard?

Brace for it.

Cosmetic progression.

You heard right. COSMETIC progression. Boo hoo I didn’t get an unbreakable choir bell! Booooo hooo I didn’t get a everlasting/endless tonic! Booooo hoooo I didn’t get a minipet! OH MY GOD THIS TITLE IS SOOOOOO HARD . No worries though, the babies who were crying about exotic gear being too easy are now getting Ascended gear to suck up before they’re covered head to toe in Ascended gear, in which they will continue to complain for a harder, brand new tier in the treadmill.

Thank-you for repeating what everybody already knows, the devs have said this is their goal several times that such is their GOAL.

Except it ISN’T POSSIBLE CURRENTLY to get them with even a year of casual play, inflation is higher than possible gold-gain for a casual player. I know, I tried. I tried, I used all my time for almost two months to grind out gold for an expensive weapon, and in that time, I earned enough gold to buy it, except that it’s price had doubled. How do you earn anything when for every gold you earn prices rise by two?

(edited by Conncept.7638)

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

There’s a fine difference between having to grind and being able to grind.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Time Glitch.2460

Thank-you for repeating what everybody already knows, the devs have said this is their goal several times. Except it ISN’T POSSIBLE to get them with even a year of casual play, inflation is higher than possible gold-gain for a casual player. I know, I tried. I tried, I used all my time for almost two months to grind out gold for an expensive weapon, and in that time, I earned enough gold to buy it, except that it’s price had doubled. How do you earn anything when for every gold you earn prices rise by two?

Get the mats yourself?

Seriously. It’s possible (didn’t say easy) to just play the game and eventually get all the mats you’d need for a Legendary. You don’t HAVE to buy anything off of the TP.

Guild Wars 2 is only grindy for the people who feel entitled to a Legendary weapon. Now we have all these babies. I mean, getting exotic armor and weapons from dungeons isn’t a grind.

Again, my experience with grind (and many other players’) has nothing to do with legendaries, exotic gear, ascended gear, or dungeons.

Mind explaining yourself rather than just saying “It has nothing to do with any of the core parts of the game at all that most players will be playing.” Because I can’t think of what grind you’re talking about if it doesn’t include legendaries, exotic gear, ascended gear, or dungeons.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Celtic Lady.3729

I can’t think of what grind you’re talking about if it doesn’t include legendaries, exotic gear, ascended gear, or dungeons.

My experience with grind involves a particular area of crafting. There are many casual players like myself that spend the majority to all of their gaming time in PvE and we aren’t all worried about legendaries, gear, and dungeons. However, those areas are not the only ones in GW2 where a grind can be felt.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Conncept.7638

Thank-you for repeating what everybody already knows, the devs have said this is their goal several times. Except it ISN’T POSSIBLE to get them with even a year of casual play, inflation is higher than possible gold-gain for a casual player. I know, I tried. I tried, I used all my time for almost two months to grind out gold for an expensive weapon, and in that time, I earned enough gold to buy it, except that it’s price had doubled. How do you earn anything when for every gold you earn prices rise by two?

Get the mats yourself?

Seriously. It’s possible (didn’t say easy) to just play the game and eventually get all the mats you’d need for a Legendary. You don’t HAVE to buy anything off of the TP.

No actually it’s not, not with the amount of time a casual player has. I was farming in the correct area for those two months to get the lodestones I needed. Y’know how many I got? SEVEN! I need one-hundred, so at a rate of 3.5 a month I would have the lodestones in three and a quarter YEARS! You are seriously going to defend that? And the only reason I even got the 50 gold was because I pulled several incredibly lucky drops during the first holiday event.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Ppl like to use buzz words with out knowing what they mean Pay-To-Win is a big one and i have yet to see it used right (ptw is talking about only being able to use real life money to make your hero stronger beyond though who do not spend real life money on a game) in this game you can use in game money to buy gems to buy looks not gear but looks now gold is used to buy better gear but real life money is not the only way to get this gear. Grind is another that gets missed used (this tends to mean exp grind where you must kill the same mob types over and over to progress your hero) in this game the grind is nothing more then for looks and with out this grind the looks become pointless.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Get the mats yourself?

Seriously. It’s possible (didn’t say PROBABLE) to just play the game and eventually get all the mats you’d need for a Legendary. You don’t HAVE to buy anything off of the TP.

Fixed that for you. It is possible, just highly improbable, and practically impossible. Especially if you want a specific legendary or, you know, at least one your class can use.

Thanks and I hope this gives you an honesty check.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Alright GW2, fine. You are not a grinder. But you are wearing a grinder’s uniform.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Time Glitch.2460

Get the mats yourself?

Seriously. It’s possible (didn’t say PROBABLE) to just play the game and eventually get all the mats you’d need for a Legendary. You don’t HAVE to buy anything off of the TP.

Fixed that for you. It is possible, just highly improbable, and practically impossible. Especially if you want a specific legendary or, you know, at least one your class can use.

You know, these are LEGENDARY weapons. If you were meant to farm them up in 6 months, they wouldn’t exactly be LEGENDARY, now would they?

All I see when people kitten about Legendary requirements are a bunch of riled up, entitled players who think they have a divine right to every weapon in the game. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, it takes a long time.

NO. DUH.

Play the game. If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing in the game, you should probably do something else, or stop. A-la If you aren’t having fun getting a Legendary, don’t get a freakin’ Legendary.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Conncept.7638

Get the mats yourself?

You know, these are LEGENDARY weapons. If you were meant to farm them up in 6 months, they wouldn’t exactly be LEGENDARY, now would they?

All I see when people kitten about Legendary requirements are a bunch of riled up, entitled players who think they have a divine right to every weapon in the game. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, it takes a long time.

NO. DUH.

Play the game. If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing in the game, you should probably do something else, or stop. A-la If you aren’t having fun getting a Legendary, don’t get a freakin’ Legendary.

Please then, respond to my post, if you’re able. I already did your ‘you didn’t try hard enough’ test, and it proved you are wrong. Casual players have nothing to pursue once the story is complete, because any pursuit beyond that recedes into the distance faster than any casual player can follow. A casual player cannot out-grind inflation, it is not possible, because it isn’t a matter of effort, it’s a matter of time and infinitesimally small odds beyond the players control.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Naracion.6597

Naracion.6597

Get the mats yourself?

NO. DUH.

My problem with the legendary weapon is the rng of it. It doesn’t involve time(1000 hours or 100)….it simply involves being lucky. You can spend months/years(depending on your game play) throwing weapons into the mystic forge with the chance to get lucky to get the precursor. Or you can grind hundreds of gold and buy it on the TP. Or get really lucky and get it in an event. Or you can get it on your 5th try with the mystic forge. I don’t feel like I should be entitled to a legendary weapon…..I just want to have the same chance as someone else that has invested the same amount of time into trying to get it. If you want to call that me feeling like I should be entitled I guess we have different definitions of what that means.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

They certainly aren’t very legendary right now.

I do love the implication that they can’t be farmed up in six months though, when some players had them almost within a month of the game’s release. Reality shows us that these so-called “legendaries” can absolutely be farmed up if you have the time.

The poster in question is pointing out that the existing model doesn’t make any such promises to casual players. In fact, said casuals don’t really have much of anything to do once they hit Lvl 80, and there’s certainly more of them than there are “hardcore” players, so….what’s the draw for those people to keep playing?

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Time Glitch.2460

Get the mats yourself?

NO. DUH.

Please then, respond to my post, if you’re able. I already did your ‘you didn’t try hard enough’ test, and it proved you are wrong. Casual players have nothing to pursue once the story is complete, because any pursuit beyond that recedes into the distance faster than any casual player can follow. A casual player cannot out-grind inflation, it is not possible, because it isn’t a matter of effort, it’s a matter of time and infinitesimally small odds beyond the players control.

I’m a casual player who hit level 80 a week ago.

I still haven’t completed more than ONE story run of ONE dungeon. I have every path of every dungeon to do. I also have 100% world completion to get. I only have rare gear, I should probably look into getting exotics. During all that, I’ll probably run some dungeons a few times to get some of the dungeon armor I want. I also want to save up enough gold to grab some Cultural, which is at a fixed price that does not inflate. All the while, I could go for 100% achievement completion as well, nabbing all the jumping puzzles, killing enough of certain types of mobs, and all the fun stuff that goes along with that.

All of that will probably take me a year.

But let’s say I suddenly get all hardcore and get a set of full exotics, 100% world completion, all dungeons complete with all the dungeon armor I want, and full set of T3 Cultural. Oh what will I ever do?

Maybe play another game? Take a kitten break? Level up an alt and do it all again? (People have no problems doing this in games like Call of Duty when they prestige.)

Oh right, I haven’t even touched any kind of PvP (WvW OR Structured). I could always get into that.

Then, maybe, just maybe after ALL OF THAT… all I have left to do is make a Legendary.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Conncept.7638

Get the mats yourself?

NO. DUH.

I’m a casual player.

I still haven’t completed more than ONE story run of ONE dungeon. I have every path of every dungeon to do. I also have 100% world completion to get. I only have rare gear, I should probably look into getting exotics. During all that, I’ll probably run some dungeons a few times to get some of the dungeon armor I want. I also want to save up enough gold to grab some Cultural, which is at a fixed price that does not inflate. All the while, I could go for 100% achievement completion as well, nabbing all the jumping puzzles, killing enough of certain types of mobs, and all the fun stuff that goes along with that.

All of that will probably take me a year.

But let’s say I suddenly get all hardcore and get a set of full exotics, 100% world completion, all dungeons complete with all the dungeon armor I want, and full set of T3 Cultural. Oh what will I ever do?

Maybe play another game? Take a kitten break? Level up an alt and do it all again? (People have no problems doing this in games like Call of Duty when they prestige.)

Oh right, I haven’t even touched any kind of PvP (WvW OR Structured). I could always get into that.

Then, maybe, just maybe after ALL OF THAT… all I have left to do is make a Legendary.

Yeah, that wasn’t pertinent to the conversation at all. Why are you arguing that ‘there are things to do’? No duh Homer, but none of those things are end-game, those are appendages to the main game, like side-quests in an RPG. You could do them before you’ve completed or even as you complete the main game.

And you go ahead and do that, at the end of that year you’ll probably have a couple hundred gold. Right now you can buy a precursor with that, but with how inflation is going, in a year, they’ll cost well over a thousand. You’ll spend the next two or three years earning up 1000 gold, if the games still around a precursor will cost well over 10000.

Now obviously this is an exaggerated example, but you seem to be the type that I need to use friendly round numbers for you to understand. What you are saying ‘Oh I can do it, when I want to’ is a lie, you can’t, I can’t, no casual player can.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Eh idk, ascended equipment gets really pricy, and you kind of need it to get far into fractiles. It’s around 40-80g for a back piece with good stats, and 20~30g more to infuse it (or 100g if you want to add the innate infusion).
Other than that though, I agree there isn’t much grinding to do.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Anyone who says it doesn’t feel grindy has yet to attempt to work out how long it takes to make a Legendary. If you play for over 5 hours a day, and devote most your time towards gathering the mats, it’s reasonable (like 4 monthes).

But if you’re casual… The timeline stretches out to a good 1~2 years.

This isn’t even about entitlement at that point.

It’s just not reasonable to have to work for that long for an item like the Legendary.
The number of benefits don’t line up with the amount of work needed to be put it.

And most of this stuff, you can only work on after hitting the level cap

Like saving up 200 skill points, getting level400 in a necessary craft, etc..

And that doesn’t even touch upon the nuisance of the RNG factors.

@Time Glitch:

That grind you’re describing? Lots of people who want Legendaries are falling into that now.

Everyday for the average player going for a Legendary is equivalent to…

Do your daily -> Run the respective dungeons for tokens/money/possible-rares/exotic drops -> Mine top-tier nodes (like Orichalcum) -> Rinse and repeat.

And for Badges of Honor…
Make a new character -> Do a certain jumping quest in WvW -> Put Badge in the bank -> Delete the character -> Rinse and repeat.

You may not see it, but it’s already become mind-numbing because the set goal has people planning their days out for the next couple of months. And the game does little to ease this.

The only thing we’ve gotten so far is that ANet plans to put in a precusor scavenger hunt which would greatly freshen up one part of acquiring a component of Legendaries.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

People who aren’t happy that the game isn’t giving them fellatio are always going to complain, you will never make them see reason. Hell, half the people who post on the boards don’t even play the game, they just go around spewing nonsense 24/7. Gem store this, DR that, legendary this, grind that. It’s hilarious to read sometimes.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

The problem with countering the term “Grind” is that the definition seems to be a moving target. I’ve seen people define the word grind as having to do something twice. Armed with that definition, everything is a grind.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Yeah, that wasn’t pertinent to the conversation at all. Why are you arguing that ‘there are things to do’? No duh Homer, but none of those things are end-game, those are appendages to the main game, like side-quests in an RPG. You could do them before you’ve completed or even as you complete the main game.

So what is an end-game to you then? Legendary SKINS are your idea of end-game? Not dungeons? Not world completion? Not playing the actual game and having a good time? No, it’s apparently just the idea of having a spiffy looking weapon? Alright then.

You realize that if they make them easier to get, that there won’t be a reason for you to work hard to get one though right?

And you go ahead and do that, at the end of that year you’ll probably have a couple hundred gold. Right now you can buy a precursor with that, but with how inflation is going, in a year, they’ll cost well over a thousand. You’ll spend the next two or three years earning up 1000 gold, if the games still around a precursor will cost well over 10000.

And…he/she will have done what with all the mats he’s acquired over that year of playing it for fun? Will they suddenly disappear into thin air simply because he/she wasn’t actively trying for a legendary at the time? Oh, wait…your argument requires there to be no way to obtain a legendary outside of gold spending. I’m not sure where these precursors come from in your weird little world, but they must come from some other mystical plane of existence. Obviously they player you are buying it from didn’t acquire it through any sort of normal gameplay means.

Now obviously this is an exaggerated example, but you seem to be the type that I need to use friendly round numbers for you to understand. What you are saying ‘Oh I can do it, when I want to’ is a lie, you can’t, I can’t, no casual player can.

I like how you make ridiculous strawman arguments, make up your own rules, and then demean the person for enjoying the game a different way than you. Good job mate. You really are quite the stellar person.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Noxxi.5947

Noxxi.5947

I just mine ori ores and chop ancient trees once a day and I have my 6 gold / day from it, I don’t even do anything else to farm, and I still see people complaining about “I need to farm/grind to get money”

Charr Guardian – Asura Mesmer
Leader of Serenity guild
Desolation

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Naracion.6597

The only thing we’ve gotten so far is that ANet plans to put in a precusor scavenger hunt which would greatly freshen up one part of acquiring a component of Legendaries.

And who knows when they will start working on that based on a recent post: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/250635-wheres-the-scavenger-hunt-post/

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

But if you’re casual… The timeline stretches out to a good 1~2 years.

For casuals, if they even care about getting a legendary, that’s a fine timeline. You’re confusing hardcore goals and motivations with casual goals and motivations. That’s a mistake because casuals and hardcores have totally different sets of motivations.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Time Glitch.2460

What you are saying ‘Oh I can do it, when I want to’ is a lie, you can’t, I can’t, no casual player can.

Do you actually have anything to back that up, or are you simply being defeatist and negative for the sake of it?

Here’s how I see it: There are three kinds of players in regards to Legendary progress:

1. The people who got it right. These are people who got their legendaries in the first month, and they obviously did this legitimately without buying anything, because how could you? Recipes were just being discovered! They got these legitimately by playing the game. kitten if I know how they did it, but they managed to do it, so it’s obviously possible.

2. The people who don’t really care (people like me, and many other casual players), who will get it as they get it. Maybe that’ll be years, maybe it’ll be months. We don’t really care. We’re going to play the game, and if we get it, we get it. If not, meh, whatever we’re having fun!

3. Then there’s the jealous ones. The people who are so fed up that other people have Legendaries and they don’t, they’re totally determined to ruin their gaming experience to “grind it out”. They do things like make new characters in WvW just to “easily” get the badges they need, or endlessly run dungeons and do resource node rotations just for the sake of “GOTTA GET MY LEGENDARY GRR RRAAA”.

Except that isn’t the way the game is deisgned to be played, so naturally they’re going to run into stuff like Diminishing Returns and general boredom. They then go on the forums and kitten that the game “is a grind” and “it’s impossible to get a Legendary!” when all of their problems and woes with the game have been self-inflicted. They can’t accept that they clearly are doing something wrong, other people are doing something right, and their destructive determination to cheat the system and kitten out a Legendary as fast as possible isn’t working.

The replies in this very thread are evidence of this.

“I can’t get my Legendary! I FARMED for these stones and I didn’t get enough of them!!!!”

“Getting a Legendary is impossible! My GRIND routine isn’t even close to efficient enough!”

“How are you supposed to GRIND and get as much gold as you need?!?! Inflation! I can’t get thousands of gold!!!!”

Then how about you STOP farming, STOP grinding, DON’T worry about gold, and just play the kitten game for fun. Once again, if you aren’t having fun, simply don’t play the game and go do something else. Wait for new content. Pick up a book. Idgaf, but if you are not having fun, do not play the game.

Simple as that.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Naracion.6597

I believe there were some exploits earlier on that people used(and got banned for and then came back again) for making alot of the precursors.

Edit: In response to the additional people who played earlier on in the game who got the stuff.

Edit 2: and I agree with your statement regarding if your not having fun do not play the game.

(edited by Naracion.6597)

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Time Glitch.2460

I believe there were some exploits earlier on that people used(and got banned for and then came back again) for making alot of the precursors.

Edit: In response to the additional people who played earlier on in the game who got the stuff.

This is probably true. But I know a few people who already have their precursors who got them legitimately who don’t play all THAT often. They have jobs, lives, and obligations. Sure, they might play more that someone like myself, but they don’t have unlimited time on their hands.

Legendary weapons are supposed to take time. They aren’t an instant-gratification end-game. They’re something much more long-term.

Oh and to add to the end of my previous point: A surefire way to ensure that ArenaNet does nothing about the problems with their game is to keep playing. If you don’t like what they’re doing, come into the forums and tell them what’s wrong. Then, stop playing. If you’re really dissatisfied with your game experience, encourage others to do so as well and watch the player numbers drop.

ANet will do nothing as long as their populations are up and the money from Gems keeps coming in. Stop that, and hoo boy. You’ll get a response mighty fast.

Evidence of this in other games:

Halo 4 launched with a peak population of around 400k users online at a single time. Over the course of just 2 months, that population has dropped to somewhere near 70k. Lots of people had issues with the game, and stopped playing. While the numbers were high, 343 Industries (devs of Halo 4) sat atop their thrones and rarely interacted with the community at all, giving little to no kittens about what they said.

Now, they’re in the trenches, talking to players and at least TRYING to actually interact with their fans. While they’d never say it publicly, they know they messed up and are now trying to win back the confidence of their fanbase.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Tolmos.8395

I dunno about exploits, but I know there were a few people back when Plinx farm was active that saved up a few MILLION karma in preparation for making their legendary.

I feel sorry for folks who need to get all the necessary karma AFTER the Plinx farm went the way of the Dodo

GW2 is not a Grinder.

killcannon.2576

I dunno about exploits, but I know there were a few people back when Plinx farm was active that saved up a few MILLION karma in preparation for making their legendary.

I feel sorry for folks who need to get all the necessary karma AFTER the Plinx farm went the way of the Dodo

Right, because they didn’t introduce karma jugs or anything. Karma pretty much rains from the sky in this game.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Naracion.6597

But on the other hand, back then there wasn’t any type of dr. I had a friend of mine that farmed 100g in a week before they put in dr(he was a very focused individual) so I’m sure that helped things before(obviously not karma though).

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Tolmos.8395

Right, because they didn’t introduce karma jugs or anything. Karma pretty much rains from the sky in this game.

A guy in my guild broke the 2 million karma mark a week before the Plinx farm was nerfed. 2 MILLION.

That’s ~250 jugs of liquid karma, with the ALL the buffs active. =D

GW2 is not a Grinder.

killcannon.2576

A guy in my guild broke the 2 million karma mark a week before the Plinx farm was nerfed. 2 MILLION.

And?…are you going to say something now about how you can buy karma in the gem store? I’ve never even ran Plinx (wrong place, wrong time) and I have a million karma and I only play a couple hours a day, more on weekends.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Tolmos.8395

are you going to say something now about how you can buy karma in the gem store?

I wish you could. Would have saved me a lot of time in game. Even as fast as the Plinx farm went, a few bucks on the gem store in exchange for not eating out for a week would have been far easier.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Naracion.6597

I wish I ran plinx more when I did but I found it extremely boring lol. Fact is that gw2 has changed since release and some people(myself included) view these changes as more of a grind than fun. They are still making changes though so hopefully this stuff will get addressed.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Tolmos.8395

I wish I ran plinx more when I did but I found it extremely boring lol. Fact is that gw2 has changed since release and some people(myself included) view these changes as more of a grind than fun. They are still making changes though so hopefully this stuff will get addressed.

I actually liked it because of how mindless it was. I queued up a few movies on the other monitor and made a weekend out of it. Started on a saturday morning by Sunday had enough for a full set of Orr temple exotic armor. Wanted a second set for armor switching / aesthetic reasons lol

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Brace for it.

Cosmetic progression.

I don’t think you could have possibly contradicted yourself more.

If Legendaries actually took a year to obtain (and were meant to take a year to obtain_ then they wouldn’t be selling regularly before the game is even one year old.

If Legendaries actually took a year of gathering materials then they take a year of grinding because a year of gathering the same materials means a year of killing the same mob over and over which is what grinding is.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

killcannon.2576

Brace for it.

Cosmetic progression.

I don’t think you could have possibly contradicted yourself more.

If Legendaries actually took a year to obtain (and were meant to take a year to obtain_ then they wouldn’t be selling regularly before the game is even one year old.

If Legendaries actually took a year of gathering materials then they take a year of grinding because a year of gathering the same materials means a year of killing the same mob over and over which is what grinding is.

Because guilds would never get together to make a legendary, and then sell it for the guild.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Because guilds would never get together to make a legendary, and then sell it for the guild.

Shhhhhh don’t give any weird ideas, a legendary is for the individual to be proud off and weave around like a noob.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

There is nothing “legendary” about the process of getting one, perhaps if they were for actual game accomplishments with a higher level of difficulty than the average gamer was able to complete…maybe they might be termed “legendary”.

As it is you might as well rename them “Boring Weapons”. And they are not for people who are better at playing the game, they are for people who have infinite amounts of time to play the game or infinites amounts of money to just buy them.

Buying a legendary is equally not “legendary” and the very fact that you can (even if you didnt) diminishes any sense of pride in having one.

Therefore, am I going to “grind” for one….no. Am I going to buy one….even more no.

GW2 is not a Grinder.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

I’ve always thought of a “grind” as continuously doing something you don’t want to do, or at the least, doing something you aren’t having fun doing.

I love PvP, can do it everyday, and never consider it a grind.

Killing the same mob over and over hoping for some rare drop(s)? Monotonous, no thanks. Why people decide they want to grind i have no idea, for some silly pixels, for some internet bragging rights? I’d rather do something i enjoy, but i hope you have “fun”.

(edited by tic.7425)