in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Dungeons, once per day
Meta Events, once per day when the timer and overflows allow you
Crafting Ascended, once per day
Daily is daily :P

This WHOLE game is time gated.
Was it the intent of the designers to make the game “play it your way, but only when we tell you”?

GW1 had little to no time gated content and this made people happy.
People now are sitting in LA, waiting for the next Meta(after doing their daily runs).

Am I the only one that feels this way?

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Play PvP. No time gating.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

People play PvP? :O

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

ITT: people forget that the GW2 combat engine was designed for esports. Sigh.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

people complain so much just shut up and play. This is the best game you could possibly play online without having to dish out money every month since Diablo 2. just… just be grateful. please.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Would you prefer the need to repeat the same content, many times a day, to keep up with others who are willing to? (let’s use CoF as an example, back when it was the best source of gold generation)

There is so much to do, I don’t at all mind being limited to once per day.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

While I don’t “mind” the time gated content….I do mind that it has been one year since the game has released and almost no “end game” content has been released except fractals.

Instead, Anet has just been floating around like a cloud with no clear goal as to where to take the game.

If they would tell dungeoneers that their focus will be on “casual” content and no new dungeons are planned in the horizon, then we will leave the game and play something else.

Why leave us hanging? Its as annoying as a girl who wont give you a proper response after you confessed but just winks at you and leaves.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

It’s good that dungeons are time gated.Before the Gold change i was farming only CoF P1 and TA path Up.

Now i’m actually doing many more dungeons:CoF,TA,CoE,AC,SE,Arah.Yes my guild is a bit speed runner but none the less we still need a lot of time to finish all those dungeons with all their paths.For casuals may seem hard but that actually revived my guild a lot.
Once i do all the paths and receive the daily reward i can do more easy paths only for the 26 silver.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Dungeons, once per day

Was it the intent of the designers to make the game “play it your way, but only when we tell you”?

People now are sitting in LA, waiting for the next Meta(after doing their daily runs).

It means the people with 10-12 hours a day to play will not get certain things faster than me, a person who has to work 10-12 hours a day. Since people with a job are more likely to spend money in the gem store, it makes sense to cater to people with a job.

But you most certainly have the advantage of doing more daily stuff a day than me. I can do 3 dragons and the daily xor a few dungeons xor one fractal. You can do all of those and then some.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Casual facebook MMO… Guild Wars 2 feels like Castle Age now. Daily prayer points, daily progression, daily energy usage, etc.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Yup, it sure feels the same as /random facebook game.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

GW2 is evolving into a facebook game you play for 20 minutes a day and log out. Also, i don’t remember any time gated content in gw1 at all, not even one (unless zquests is what you consider time gated content which isn’t the case). GW2 is all about time gated content, gem store, gem store, gem store, gem store, archaic targeting system, archaic save/load builds system, extreme time sink (current teq), money sink. Its so funny that its worth participating in this mess to see where its actually going.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

GW2 is a time gated game

marnick.4305

GW2 is evolving into a facebook game you play for 20 minutes a day and log out. Also, i don’t remember any time gated content in gw1 at all, not even one (unless zquests is what you consider time gated content which isn’t the case). GW2 is all about time gated content, gem store, gem store, gem store, gem store, archaic targeting system, archaic save/load builds system, extreme time sink (current teq), money sink. Its so funny that its worth participating in this mess to see where its actually going.

We must be playing different games, because what you’re describing is not the GW2 I have on my computer.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Pretty much. Game is focusing on retention through time-gating rather than delivering content with intrinsic longevity. It’s ironic though, since these decisions have pretty much made me and most of my friends quit.

ITT: people forget that the GW2 combat engine was designed for esports. Sigh.

Lack of features, game modes and tactical gameplay would have people thinking otherwise.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Sadly I hate this too – i feel i have to log on every day just to keep up.
I can’t just power-through in the weekend to catch up on stuff i didn’t do over the week. It’s becoming frustrating and repetitive. Getting tired of all this nonsense.

I just want to get Ascended armor done so I don’t have to do daily nothing for at least a year or so.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

I can’t just power-through in the weekend to catch up on stuff i didn’t do over the week. It’s becoming frustrating and repetitive. Getting tired of all this nonsense.

I just want to get Ascended armor done so I don’t have to do daily nothing for at least a year or so.

Bad luck, but it doesnt work that way, ANet has chosen their path, prepare for more of the same in the future

You see, if they turn back it will be no different than exotics so they added whole layer of…..nothing

And a little bit of something >>>>>>> than a whole pile of nothing ;P

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Dungeons, once per day

It means the people with 10-12 hours a day to play will not get certain things faster than me, a person who has to work 10-12 hours a day. Since people with a job are more likely to spend money in the gem store, it makes sense to cater to people with a job.

But you most certainly have the advantage of doing more daily stuff a day than me. I can do 3 dragons and the daily xor a few dungeons xor one fractal. You can do all of those and then some.

As “unfair” and brutal as this sounds, it’s probably what they’re thinking too.

People who play 8 hours a day (which is unhealthy by the way, get some fresh air) are not going to spend a dime in the gem store (because they can just farm gold and convert it into gems), while people who have only a couple hours a day to play (like myself) usually have a bit of disposable income to spend in the gem store.

If you put yourself into the developer’s shoes, whose intent is to make money with the game, which demographic would you develop your game for?

One – Piken Square

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

You don’t have to do anything. Just play the game and one day you notice you have crafted the ascended weapons and armor.

If you “power-through” your way to the Ascended it’s more than likely after you’ve crafted them you’ll just stop playing because you’re burned out.

Stop worrying about it. You should easily have full Ascended stuff way before the next tier of gear comes out.

One – Piken Square

GW2 is a time gated game

marnick.4305

Dungeons, once per day

As “unfair” and brutal as this sounds, it’s probably what they’re thinking too.

People who play 8 hours a day (which is unhealthy by the way, get some fresh air) are not going to spend a dime in the gem store (because they can just farm gold and convert it into gems), while people who have only a couple hours a day to play (like myself) usually have a bit of disposable income to spend in the gem store.

If you put yourself into the developer’s shoes, whose intent is to make money with the game, which demographic would you develop your game for?

The truth, while often brutal, is never unfair.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Really? I find the opposite. This game punishes people with a job. Especially those that do shift work.

I have to start 5am in the morning on the days I work, and I usally get home by about 9pm. That leaves me 8 hours to do household chores, prepare for my next day at work, and sleep. I don’t really have time to log-in to GW2 to get daily crap done.

Now the advantage of shift work, is that while I have to work long days, I do get more days off a week than your 9 to 5 worker. So in other games it wouldn’t be a problem; Can’t play the days I work? No problem, I get more days off so I have the hours to catch up with the people who can play every day on those days off.

However, this isn’t the case in GW2. If I don’t find time to log-in every day, I fall behind everyone else, there’s no chance to catch up on those days off. So I have to choose between keeping up with everyone else, or going into work like an orrian zombie. So the game actually punishes you for working or having a job; It doesn’t cater to it.

The time-gating need to be far more lenient or there needs to be a proper catch-up option before anybody can really say the game is good for the casual player or those whom have a job.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I might have missed something, but I am very sure you can do everything on that list (expect dailies) however many times you wish each day.

They did somehow lock the events/dungeons so they are no longer do-able after one time each day?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Content is not time gated. You have access to all content with very few requirements. You can even go into PvP on day 1 and play against anyone.

Rewards are time gated. It is bad. It is perhaps a consequence of the content being so accessible. MMOs need some way of keeping everyone from completing everything immediately.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So lets see- yesterday I had a lot of play time.
I was in a Teq fight
I finished up on a map with my baby mesmer, this included an amazing battle against a champ cave troll that was beaten by just myself and an ele wandering by.
He reset his health near the end and that gave us quite a scare but we did it and it was amazing.
My husband made a new character and I ran with him on my own baby Ele- it was great fun and when we hit level 20 or so we did the story back to back.
oh and I think I killed Shadow Behemoth at some stage.

Not all that time gated- guess it is how you play.

Gunnar’s Hold

GW2 is a time gated game

marnick.4305

Really? I find the opposite. This game punishes people with a job. Especially those that do shift work.

I have to start 5am in the morning on the days I work, and I usally get home by about 9pm. That leaves me 8 hours to do household chores, prepare for my next day at work, and sleep. I don’t really have time to log-in to GW2 to get daily crap done.

Now the advantage of shift work, is that while I have to work long days, I do get more days off a week than your 9 to 5 worker. So in other games it wouldn’t be a problem; Can’t play the days I work? No problem, I get more days off so I have the hours to catch up with the people who can play every day on those days off.

However, this isn’t the case in GW2. If I don’t find time to log-in every day, I fall behind everyone else, there’s no chance to catch up on those days off. So I have to choose between keeping up with everyone else, or going into work like an orrian zombie. So the game actually punishes you for working or having a job; It doesn’t cater to it.

The time-gating need to be far more lenient or there needs to be a proper catch-up option before anybody can really say the game is good for the casual player or those whom have a job.

Ye that’s another problem entirely. My brother had to work abroad for 3 months and missed the entirety of flame and frost. That’s just brutal.

On the other hand, that kind of time intensive jobs also has ample financial rewards, so at least gear-wise you can catch up over gems. While not perfect, it’s better than any other MMO.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Maybe ANet wants you to have a life outside of its game, putting things on a timer and limiting the time you can invest in something might have people actually getting up from GW2 and doing another hobby or breathing fresh air, opposed to spending 10+ hours a day doing things over and over, and it slows down how fast you can get things so that the people who play casually don’t feel like their being out done and cry on the forums about how its not fair that someone who plays more than 2 hours a day has better and more stuff than them, lol…

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Maybe ANet wants you to have a life outside of its game, putting things on a timer and limiting the time you can invest in something might have people actually getting up from GW2 and doing another hobby or breathing fresh air, opposed to spending 10+ hours a day doing things over and over, and it slows down how fast you can get things so that the people who play casually don’t feel like their being out done and cry on the forums about how its not fair that someone who plays more than 2 hours a day has better and more stuff than them, lol…

Yes. You’re not being naive at all.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It’s good that dungeons are time gated.Before the Gold change i was farming only CoF P1 and TA path Up.

Time-gating treated the symptom, not the cause. The problem is a dungeon path that gives a reward out of proportion to the effort required to do it, not some innate desire on the part of players to repeat the same content ad nauseum.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Rewards are time-gated, content is not. Sorry (not) for those that wish to repeat the same thing over and over every day just for the rewards.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Rewards are time-gated, content is not. Sorry (not) for those that wish to repeat the same thing over and over every day just for the rewards.

I have to agree with Wolfie here.

Dungeons can be ran as many times as you’d like to. It’s not like WoW raids where you can only do it once within a specified time frame (aren’t raids locked to once a week? so hard to remember…) The only ‘time gated’ content for a dungeon path is it’s “bonus chest” which contains the gold and 40 additional tokens. Additional run still net you the ‘standard’ token rewards, and the end chest.

I won’t argue that some of the time gating is annoying. I don’t particularly like the time gating on the ascended crafting; however, I understand their reasoning behind it (which was explained) and can accept it.

Generally speaking these things don’t bother me extensively because I’m here to play, and enjoy myself. I’m not here ‘for the shinies.’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

I agree completely. Please let us catch up on the bloody dailies on the weekend! I want to play GW2 when I want to play GW2, not to feel like I have to “do my chores”.

GW2 is a time gated game

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

It’s fine to time-gate stuff if you let people catch up – i.e. miss a bunch of dailies, do them later – but by not doing that, then it’s effectively insisting that you log in every day or lose out, which is pretty poor as a game experience.