GW2 lacks basic RP tools

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

We are going onto the 2nd expansion, and we still lack a lot of the basic RP tools that come standard in most MMO’s.

Simple things as sitting in chairs, actually be able to use a tavern area as an actual tavern.

No eating/drinking animations, which is crazy, considering there are 2 races that have quite the taste for alcohol.

Some of the emotes are fine, but we could truly use quite a few more that are more interactive with other people, instead of just being silly.

I’ve always enjoyed having a rough battle, and then sitting at a Tavern for a few drinks with the friends who joined me, and just talk about the fight. Here, you just get that feeling. Which sucks, considering there are some amazing places to go in this game for RPing.

The setting is there, the tools are not.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

Agree with you but as Anet thinks of a lot others things, it’s not on their priority list… They prefer make new contents and expensions, fractals, set etc… than update good old things like RP, Instruments, Super Adventure box…

Players and enemies aready have drinking/eating animations, the human character story bring you at a moment at corsair’s island in gandarran field, during the instance you defy corsairs in drinking contest with Tybalt (Whisper Order path).

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

(edited by hugo.4705)

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Sitting was addressed early on after launch. They made a decision after much discussion during development not to make that an option. The way it sounded made me believe it was an irreversible decision.

If I find the link, I’ll post it

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

As an RPer, I know exactly what you mean.

Lot of things have been suggested over the years. Sitting, more emotes, clickable character sheets, etc. Anet just either doesn’t listen, or doesn’t care. ~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.

We kind of forced ourselves into a corner where we either go back and re-art every chair in the game, or we build this system for sitting. I think in the grand scheme of things, given all the other projects, we have going on, sitting, as important as it is, is not something we’re currently working on.

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

Or

https://www.google.com/amp/www.usgamer.net/amp/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.

We kind of forced ourselves into a corner where we either go back and re-art every chair in the game, or we build this system for sitting. I think in the grand scheme of things, given all the other projects, we have going on, sitting, as important as it is, is not something we’re currently working on.

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

Or

https://www.google.com/amp/www.usgamer.net/amp/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

The interesting thing is, with mounts they’ve halfway tackled that issue.
The other issues they’d still face are unique character interactions with seats and having them address all the seats in the worlds space.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

Yep comparing characters height and mount seat and chairs are almost the same. Don’t see why they can’t apply this new mechanics of mount to chairs… Maybe too difficult or simply not their priority?

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yep comparing characters height and mount seat and chairs are almost the same. Don’t see why they can’t apply this new mechanics of mount to chairs… Maybe too difficult or simply not their priority?

Let’s presume you’re right, that solving mount seating is so close to solving chair seating that they are really close to having a way to enable sitting generally. Then, in no particular order:

• The quote is from a while ago, before mounts were scheduled for the game. (And btw, we heard nothing about mounts, even though they’ve been working on them for years).
  • There are a limited number of mounts scheduled and a larger number of chairs of various shapes & sizes.
  • There might be other aspects of seating in chairs that are different from mount seating (or not — we just don’t know).
  • Whatever amount of work required, there are still lots of other projects using the same resources. How sure are we that sitting takes priority?

In short, they might be close or they might not be; they aren’t going to tell us until they are ready to ship this.

(And by the way, this is just one issue mentioned by the OP. I doubt very much if it’s sufficient to satisfy RPers if it’s the only thing ANet does.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

You do realize that mounts are summoned from thin air when you mount them? Chairs are already in the world, it would completely break immersion if the chair magically grew 300% instantly to accommodate a large norn sitting down, or vice versa for a tiny asura trying to jump into it.

Its not remotely the same thing.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Incoming gemstore chair mounts.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Fractured.3928

Make a few new chairs that work with any race. Replace current chair assets with new ones.

I’d be fine with this. Just make a chair for each race (Since almost all zones are themed after the race), that every race can sit in. That way it isn’t just the same exact chair across the world, granted I’m sure the company making them would be happy.

And really, I’d be okay if they just replaced important ones at first. Taverns, gathering areas, etc.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Fractured.3928

I’m going to be outrageous.

Mix of Asura, Charr, and Sylvari technology has brought you this new technology! In specific areas, like your favorite drinking hole, or gathering places, you can now grow your own personalized chair! It only costs 600 gems in order to get your own chair tailored to you! Watch it grow right in front of your eyes, for your maximum comfort, while pleasing your aesthetic senses!

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Mix of Asura, Charr, and Sylvari technology has brought you this new technology! In specific areas, like your favorite drinking hole, or gathering places, you can now grow your own personalized chair! It only costs 600 gems in order to get your own chair tailored to you! Watch it grow right in front of your eyes, for your maximum comfort, while pleasing your aesthetic senses!

Hahaah. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it today.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You may jest, but I have seen floating chairs (magically) cast as mounts in an older MMO.

Needless to say….it was awesome

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Nubsauce.9821

Nubsauce.9821

Since they are loosening the chains on Addons a bit, I think someone should make an addon for this similar to TRP3 for WoW.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

What i miss badly is to easily re-dress my char accordingly to the environment. I’ve bought a lot of outfits for that purpose but end up using only two or three that look half-way decent in the same coloring.
Turns out, re-dyeing takes to long for convenience.

Idea was something like white Arctic Explorer for Shiverpeaks, khaki Jungle Explorer for HoT, metal-colored Ironclad with a tanky build, Cook when crafting, Mad King’s for a firey ele build, etcetc.

I’ve been asking for better outfit dyeing for ever, so pardon me for bringing this up again. Can’t be so difficult to add as many channel as normal armor has and save that per outfit.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

What if the chair were a toy item, like the broom? You carry around a folding chair, and when you activate it, the character snaps it open, sets it down, and sits on it.

And then we can start selling profession-custom chairs:
Elementalists summon an earthen seat
Necros summon a bone throne
Warriors, um, take a bunch of swords and stick them in the ground to make a chair? I’unno. I’m just trying to make ANet some gem sales.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Fractured.3928

What if the chair were a toy item, like the broom? You carry around a folding chair, and when you activate it, the character snaps it open, sets it down, and sits on it.

And then we can start selling profession-custom chairs:
Elementalists summon an earthen seat
Necros summon a bone throne
Warriors, um, take a bunch of swords and stick them in the ground to make a chair? I’unno. I’m just trying to make ANet some gem sales.

Necro can only get a bone throne if he can accidentally tip over and it shatters everywhere, as his previous grimdark expression now blushes.

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

while I would whole heartedly welcome more immersive animations, I have long since accepted that anet is understaffed to maintain the game as is

GW2 lacks basic RP tools

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

it is sad to see anet drop the ball on this and not have ever picked it up again . I do not use emotes very much at all . but never the less thos that do use them and other role playing tools in the game . I do feel for as they have gotten hardly anything at all . and with mega servers their is no real place or spot for them to even meet up and role play all they like to in peace with out being bothered while doing said role playing .

I think it be nice to have a little cozy inn or bar . or small like restaurant even where they could go and role play all they like

no new system upgrades coming